Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I'm writing for a website about how INFJ's approach goal-setting... Figured I'd go straight to the protectors for the answers :) Can you all offer any insight on this?? Maybe along the lines of:

Is goal-setting generally appealing?

What problems do you usually come in contact with once aiming to reach a goal?

How optimistic/pessimistic are you about reaching goals?

What type of incentive do you usually need?

Do you typically see success in setting goals for yourself?

What goal setting plan/strategies have worked for you in the past?

What type of goal-setting plan/strategies might work for you that you haven't tried?

Any thoughts (at all!) on the matter are greatly appreciated!!!!
From a super grateful ESTP :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sort of. I call them life lists.

Myself. Getting all nilhist about it.

I don't know. I'll reach them, for sure.

Nothing. Myself.

No. Because I don't really set goals. But...no. I still am successful.

Making it up as I go along.

What type of goal-setting plan/strategies might work for you that you haven't tried?
Not procrastinating.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yes, but I often don't follow through.

Goal-setting helps set my focus on where it needs to be and what I'm aiming for but I often get side-tracked and/or discouraged. When things start looking grim, I tend to give up.

More pessimistic. If I was more persistent and resistant to negativity and discouraging moments, I'd have reason to believe that I'd achieve my goals. I have a difficult time believing I can achieve much, if not anything.

I need to really believe that it is worth pursuing and worth the time and effort that I put into it that I could be using for other things.

No, I tend to give up. I'm not very ambitious and I don't try as hard as I could. I fear failure and don't want to give my best effort and then fall short. I guess I'd rather not try at all sometimes.

As sad as it sounds, I can't remember achieving any of my goals since I was in junior high. Back then, I poured every moment of my time into what I was doing and obsessed way too much to ensure that I would succeed.

Having an accountability partner to check in with and assure me that I am making progress towards my goals. Also, self check-ins where I set aside time and review what has happened over the past few months and what has and hasn't worked to help me move towards achieving my goals.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Goal-setting is generally appealing yes.. It's a way to organize, to create structure and direction. I feel lost if I don't. When more work is involved or when more is at stake, I feel the pressure.. It makes me uncomfortable, and more so if I have an audience. I tend to keep goals to myself and not tell anyone until I have achieved them. Since I can be anonymous online, sometimes I will ask for help there. I like making sure that I enjoy myself as I achieve a goal and I'm sensitive to changes in mood. Sometimes I will think of only the outcome and let the rest happen spontaneously, maybe with a few conscious decisions here and there.

It's normal for me to keep going and I am happy to do that. As long as it takes.

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Yes. I like to know where I'm going, but it doesn't have to be completely set in stone.

Self-doubt and worrying it won't be worthwhile in the end. Occasionally (very occasionally) lack of focus.

Fairly optimistic. I think if other people can do it, maybe I can too.

That I have the possibility of reaching something I really, really want.

Yeah, I've reached my aim beofre I turned 18 - to have three practice novels written and get started on three more. I tend to succeed in my goals if I stick to the plan.

Limits for the day e.g. 1000 words written minimum per day. Of course, getting sick can throw this out, but then I just start over, not try to do 2-3,000 in one day.

I can't think of any... Maybe a time limit?

Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
-I don’t think of goal-setting as appealing or not my mind just does it naturally. It processes the information it has and then sets defined rational goals that I can reach with the less amount of time possible. Some of these goals would be challenging to reach but I don’t mind pushing myself. But to answer your question I like to set goals and it is not a boring activity.

-Problems usually depend on what goal you want to reach but mostly it has to do with people (ones who try to put you down, ones who refuse to help you, ones who sabotage your work, etc.)

-I’m usually optimistic in reaching goals and I can be really driven to reach them if they are very important to me.

-As long as I think the goal is essential and useful it is all the incentive I need.

-Do you mean do I reach my goals? If so then yes mostly I do and the ones I haven’t reached I put on the shelf so to speak until more favorable conditions are there to reach them (but I don’t completely forget about them I do come back to them for assessment).

-Ah I’m not sure I have a specific strategy but I would use anything that might help reach my goal (of course none would break any of my wrong/right values). I usually think of the most simple, practical way and it is usually divided into small tasks (I need to do this and then this, etc.)

-I like to learn plans and strategies so if I see someone has good ones I will try to adapt them to my own personal use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes, because it feels like what i "should" do and because i am very personal growth oriented

oh man. forgetting the goal midway (as in annual resolutions) or being kind of soft about the goal overall. never setting a real time frame. i can be very abstract with goals.

pretty optimitic, although i see i tend to set goals from a negative place, beating myself up (you NEED to do this-or else you're a failure)

fear of the worst!

you could say so.

making a personal manifesto is abstract enough and has worked in the past. telling myself i HAVE TO do it also works. but i tend to leave some things very open ended. i like to write affirmations and reminders and imagine myself as already having achieved the goal. that usually works.

through answering this i can see i dont really like setting goals because they come from an obligatory place. i would like to set goals for fun and approach them, and approach life, in a much more fun, relaxed, anticipatory way

i will say i am considered a successful person and i do achieve certain goals to great specificity to what i set out for, often by using intuition.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Yes - I like to have some sort of direction. It makes me feel like I'm making personal progress to follow my "vision".

Um... self doubt?

Pretty optimistic initially, though I have my days of doubt. If my Ni is really set on telling me that its the right goal for me, I'll ultimately be more optimistic because I have that faith in my Ni despite the stress.

No incentive really... just needs to follow my "vision".

Yes.... if I set the right goal I will be dedicated enough and accomplish it with ease.

I can't say there is really a plan or strategy... I just keep that ultimate goal in the back of my mind and that keeps me motivated. I guess with each moment I'll always be thinking ahead to the next step, but that's about it. It also depends on what the goal is... like, if I was working towards my masters clearly I'd have to be looking ahead to make sure I covered everything needed to get the degree.

One that I've thought of but haven't quite done is to keep a list on my wall and cross it off as I go along. Then I'll add some little ones along the way as I go... I guess it could help keep me on task. Think I may do that for new years resolutions, but I know in the past with those that if I kept some realistic ones focused on my own personal growth as a person I'd still subconsciously remember them and achieve them. I guess its because my resolutions would be picked based on what my Ni could "see" me achieving that year.... if that makes sense.

Its so weird to explain, but it makes sense in my head.:cool:

Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
Registered
132 Posts
Okay. Here goes:

Yes.

I sometimes make my goals unattainable or attach unrealistic deadlines.

Pretty optimistic -- Even when I suspect that I'm not being realistic, I enjoy imagining the experience of reaching the goal.

Hmmmm... This question is tough to answer. Usually, my incentives are my own. I only make a goal if it matters to me in the first place.

Yes. Even when it takes longer than I'd like, I do actually often accomplish what I set out to accomplish.

If it's a goal that I've decided to achieve, then I'm pretty driven from the get-go. I'll work like crazy to make it happen, no strategy necessary (other than figuring out what work to do and parsing out the time to do it).

If the goal is what someone else wants me to do, I need to write it down and post reminders, so I'll remember it exists. Usually, though, motivation isn't a problem (don't want to let people down). So if there's a strategy -- write it down? Is that a strategy?

I'm not sure. Some kind of app or contraption that would alert me to my own unrealistic expectations of what a mere mortal can accomplish in 24 hours? That would be so cool--

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Hi guys!

I'm writing for a website about how INFJ's approach goal-setting... Figured I'd go straight to the protectors for the answers :) Can you all offer any insight on this?? Maybe along the lines of:

1. Yes, goal-setting is very appealing and very important.
2. The biggest problem is losing motivation. When it happens, I have to put in the effort to pull myself together, talk to myself and encourage/empower myself, smile, picture success, listen to some music, eat a delicious cookie and get right back on track.
3. I am very optimistic about reaching goals.
4. Success and a personal sense of accomplishment/power. I like to make decisions that I can look back and be proud of. This is the best incentive for me.
5. Yes, I see success.
6. Having a clear goal (long/short term), deadline (may be tentative depending on the importance of the goal), a detailed plan, an achievable yet challenging goal is important, regularly checking the level of progress made helps me, staying determined and focused, not losing heart because of setbacks is indispensable, so is being dynamic and realizing when changes need to be made to the goal plan and, at times, modifying the goal itself to suit my changed needs and attitudes, not to make it 'easier', but more practical if I have spread myself too thin.
7. I am not sure about this. What I have tried works well, and I'd love to learn better strategies but none come to mind right now. I am very curious, so if you have suggestions, do share:)

Thank you for the questions. All the best with your project:)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts

No. It is necessary. I want to be more perceiving, and just sort of flow, but I am very judging, so it comes naturally for me to plan. I feel lost without it.

Depends on the goal. I want to write a novel someday, but I find the effort it will take in getting from where I am now to the point of being able to accomplish this daunting, to say the least. I often lack follow through. On the other hand, simpler goals are easily accomplished, and the only problem I may encounter is with allowing other people to get in my way (either intentionally or unintentionally). Yet people can be helpful too, with certain goals; a smile and a bit of superficial small talk goes a long way toward coaxing people to assist you in your goals, relying on the kindness of strangers, as it were.

Depends. I am fairly optimistic in general, though I think I come off as pessimistic because I have a bit of a crusty and apathetic outward appearance (and inward for that matter). Personally, I find this streak endearing, and that is all that really matters. I cannot help being optimistic, and I generally reach my goals eventually. I am generally patient.

There has to be something in it for me, whether that something involves bettering my own life, or aiding someone else in theirs. Like everything else we are selfish creature (humans, not only INFJs), we set goal because they will benefit us in some manner, whether that be personally and concretely, or through making us happy by helping someone else. We do not set goals that harm us. It is about values.

Yes, almost always, though I may need to tweak my goal a bit here and there to achieve the desired result. It is the end result that is important. How I get there is open. Oddly, many of my goals just seem to materialize for me with little effort, almost as if dwelling on them makes them happen. I do not believe this, per se, but I am not ruling it out either Whatever the case, I have a high success rate.

If the goal is an important, life-changing one, I pursue it with a singleness of mind, and dwell on it, to the point of becoming OCD. Methods that work are making countless lists and sticky notes. Lesser goals are easy, though I still use lists. If possible, I try to manipulate things such that I minimize my effort and try to achieve goals as passively as possible. I do not like trying too hard. This is difficult to explain, and most would probably not agree, but has to do with the over-emphasis many humans put on hard work, effort, and bettering oneself; reaching your goals (and setting goals for that matter). It has all become a bit kitschy and maudlin in my opinion. It is a trend of sorts, and I do not like trends.

I am not sure, but I am open to suggestions. I had prefer to reach a point where I no longer set goals and just sort of flow through life, letting whatever happens happen and merely adapting appropriately.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Absolutely. I feel that if I just did everything by ear,the consequences would be awful which would lead to further mistakes that could have been avoided. I know no one is perfect but being close isn't a crime.
When I overlook something like if I was writing a paper and forgot to cite a couple sources or procrastination if I see the goal is going to take some time to reach.
I'm usually very pessimistic if the goal relates to something I don't have much talent in.
If someone else is depending on me,that's all I need.
I do see success however I then question whether or not it was truly a success. I start picking at the parts that I could have executed better.
Concentrating hard and putting a mental block on all things unrelated to the goal. It never fails.
What type of goal-setting plan/strategies might work for you that you haven't tried? If it ain't broke,don't fix it. :proud:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts