Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is one cognitive function (or combination of functions) best/better suited for writing/writers? What do the different functions look like in writing? In what genres are the cognitive functions more likely or heavily represented? Examples?

Discuss!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
All of them would have an effect on your writing, content-wise. I don't think there's a best combination, since functions don't immediately mean skill when used. But if I could take a swing at guessing:

Perceiving functions

Si: Technically precise writing. Utilizes syntax correctly. Programming. Presents data clearly
Ne: Free-form writing. Idea-generation. Figuring out where to go next in a plot/with a character
Se: Record-oriented writing. Details experiences. Enriched visuals
Ni: Theme-oriented content. There's an over-arching message or motif that may not be immediately apparent

Judging functions

Fi: Writing details one's perspective and the feeling tones he or she is conveying
Ti: Writing is technical in terms of logic and presents itself by reasoning
Fe: Writing is collective, biographical, colorful in terms of characters. Probably focuses on the perspective(s) of other people
Te: Writing is organized and well-presented. It aims to accomplish one or more goals

·
Registered
693 Posts
Reactions: Empurple and Nymma

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I'm very left-brained, and I've read left brained people love to outline. I am no different. I love to write long pieces. However, I have learned this could be viewed as a rant, shouting, convoluted, long-winded. All these negative terms. I think the world is ruled by right-brained people. Right Brained people, I have read, can summarize, get to the point, use bullets-all positives. It's very hard for me to summarize, use bullets, get to the point. My brain just wants to unload. And I view my writing as a relief mechanism.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It depends on what kind of writing you're talking about. INFJs are the most likely to be published authors, and INFJs and INFPs dominate creative writing classes. Just don't ask them to write things like corporate annual reports. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts