Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello dear people,

during that pandemic, I started to enjoy writing. I started a trilogy of short stories, which have about thirty pages each and as I progress to the end of the trilogy, I don`t know it makes me so sad. I really like the characters in my stories and it makes me so sad that I am done with them. Do you know that feeling? I know everything will be better in a time but right now it kinda hurts that my story is going to end.
Can anyone relate?

Stay healthy and safe people.

·
Registered
902 Posts
On stage and sets I've worked on, I can get kind of attached to characters I've played. You spend a lot of hours trying to inhabit this person and it comes to an end and it's time to pack them up, say goodbyes to people you've worked with and move on. I imagine writers aren't working with people per se but getting very involved with some personalities. There's always new people to work with and new characters to get to figure out.

My advice is when you get to the end, start thinking about your next idea. I find looking for what comes next gives me something to look forward to.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,951 Posts
Yeah, it's relatable. I've been coming up with a short story too and it is difficult ending it when I really have grown an empathy for the characters (even minor ones) and I want to know why they are the way they are, so I'd like to go through their life history.... which sometimes turns out to interest me even more and I want to make that its own story.
Same goes for the world too. It's like "wow this location has turned out pretty interesting now... I could add a load of lore to this but it's just going to slow the pacing down too much."

It can be hard trying to figure out what the overall message is too. I have some sense of it in my head but I can't put it too easily into words that would sound concise or exactly accurate. I guess that means it's a bit more nuanced than something black and white.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it's relatable. I've been coming up with a short story too and it is difficult ending it when I really have grown an empathy for the characters (even minor ones) and I want to know why they are the way they are, so I'd like to go through their life history.... which sometimes turns out to interest me even more and I want to make that its own story.
Same goes for the world too. It's like "wow this location has turned out pretty interesting now... I could add a load of lore to this but it's just going to slow the pacing down too much."

It can be hard trying to figure out what the overall message is too. I have some sense of it in my head but I can't put it too easily into words that would sound concise or exactly accurate. I guess that means it's a bit more nuanced than something black and white.
That's exactly what I feel! On evenings I do contemplate the history of my characters and in which relation they are to every other person. Sometimes I see that I am putting shadow aspects of myself into the characters.

·
4,846 Posts
Some writers seem to write about the same people, in various skins, so to speak. If you feel your story is finished, but you are not done with the characters, perhaps you can let them "reincarnate" in your next story? as someone else, but with the same core?
I don't write, but I feel like that when I read, or watch a series sometimes. I imagine it would be even moreso when writing as one puts in so much energy and effort.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
2,951 Posts
That's exactly what I feel! On evenings I do contemplate the history of my characters and in which relation they are to every other person. Sometimes I see that I am putting shadow aspects of myself into the characters.
Nice! Yeah, I would say if they're an important character it's good to have quite a clear understanding of who they are so their actions feels substantive and makes a consistent sense.

Yes but I don't think you can avoid putting shadow aspects of yourself into a character with some depth. By analyzing my characters, I've learned certain themes about myself because they do carry certain shadow aspects. If you want to learn about yourself, I think character creation and analysis is one of the best ways I've found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts