Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a decent writer, I think, but I always pick at a sentence before I can finish it. A two-page essay will end up taking two days. ANYWAY:

• Do any of you deal with hardcore perfectionism?
  • How do you deal with it?
  • What do you think causes it?
  • Do you have any tips for story writing?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Do any of you deal with hardcore perfectionism?

Only when creating things.

How do you deal with it?

I work at it until it's perfect. lol

What do you think causes it?

Our realization that what we currently have does not meet the standards set by our preconceived ideal.

Do you have any tips for story writing?

Unfortunately I'm not much of a long-story writer, only short. Even then, I really have no idea. I know these answers are kind of cut-and-dry literal, sorry.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Only when creating things.

How do you deal with it?

I work at it until it's perfect. lol

Our realization that what we currently have does not meet the standards set by our preconceived ideal.

Unfortunately I'm not much of a long-story writer, only short. Even then, I really have no idea. I know these answers are kind of cut-and-dry literal, sorry.

That's fine! So when you are writing something with a deadline, how do you usually combat your perfectionism? For me it feels like my writing is NEVER perfect so I always feel I deliver my papers half finished.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That's fine! So when you are writing something with a deadline, how do you usually combat your perfectionism? For me it feels like my writing is NEVER perfect so I always feel I deliver my papers half finished.
After realizing that I needed to change my behavior, I would begin writing every paper in the same way: by spewing out whatever thoughts I had - even up to a paragraph in length. In fact, I still start some papers like this. It just helps break the ice and get you moving. Our perfectionism is really just a fear of failure - the failure of sounding less smart than we really are. When you spew your garble of thoughts onto a page you have successfully failed to the most spectacular degree. You could not possibly write anything worse than that, and yet there it is! Sitting on your paper in all of it's hideous gobbly-goop glory. Once you reach this point it's just like the pressure is off; since what you have just written is so bad you have nowhere to go but up.

As bill heavey once said "I like to get my mistakes out of the way early"

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After realizing that I needed to change my behavior, I would begin writing every paper in the same way: by spewing out whatever thoughts I had - even up to a paragraph in length. In fact, I still start some papers like this. It just helps break the ice and get you moving. Our perfectionism is really just a fear of failure - the failure of sounding less smart than we really are. When you spew your garble of thoughts onto a page you have successfully failed to the most spectacular degree. You could not possibly write anything worse than that, and yet there it is! Sitting on your paper in all of it's hideous gobbly-goop glory. Once you reach this point it's just like the pressure is off; since what you have just written is so bad you have nowhere to go but up.

As bill heavey once said "I like to get my mistakes out of the way early"
Genius. Although, I don't know if I personally fear the failure as much as it not saying exactly what I want it to say. I feel my purpose will be lost if I don't explain things perfectly. I'll have to try just getting it out there and working on it from that.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Well making yourself laugh about it in the process takes away a lot of the impending seriousness of it. But eventually it just becomes meniacal. I would just get thoughts down, and get impatient about the details. Have it become more of a channeling of my thoughts than an actual task. And then I restructure and organize this with the same attitude. And then again. So you're not really creating, you're just thinking and applying an algorithm of thinking over it until it's comprehensible.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I feel my purpose will be lost if I don't explain things perfectly.
I have to say things exactly the way I understand it in my head because I want the other person to be able to capture my thoughts in its entirety, otherwise I feel that I've neglected to express my thoughts sufficiently.

I think I do it because I dislike being perceived as wrong as a result of the other person misunderstanding me.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well making yourself laugh about it in the process takes away a lot of the impending seriousness of it. But eventually it just becomes meniacal. I would just get thoughts down, and get impatient about the details. Have it become more of a channeling of my thoughts than an actual task. And then I restructure and organize this with the same attitude. And then again. So you're not really creating, you're just thinking and applying an algorithm of thinking over it until it's comprehensible.
Could you explain this to me like I'm five? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. (I'm not being sarcastic. Actually asking.)

@Oreki
Hardcore. As in: My struggle with writing is so terrible it'll take me hours to finish a single paragraph until I'm happy with it. I really over think it.

Do you prefer getting it all out there and editing at the end, or editing as you go?

@Carlton
Does it cause you to struggle with grammar and/or connecting two thoughts together?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Does it cause you to struggle with grammar and/or connecting two thoughts together?
Yeah it does. I think being concise and elegant is the struggle. In order to be concise when connecting thoughts, the grammar has to accommodate it, but even then it should be elegant. On the one hand, there is something I want to say and on the other hand, I want to present it appropriately; the "what" and the "how."

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it does. I think being concise and elegant is the struggle. In order to be concise when connecting thoughts, the grammar has to accommodate it, but even then it should be elegant. On the one hand, there is something I want to say and on the other hand, I want to present it appropriately; the "what" and the "how."
What do you do to combat it other than having someone to proof-read? Or are you still figuring that out?

·
Registered
131 Posts
@Juggernaut

I edit as I go then when I'm finished I edit it again. Then again. If you're serious about writing and aim to publish your works you will be editing what you write over and over again so it's not a bad habit to get into early on. If you're just starting out you should re-read your own material and see where your weaknesses are, and work on improving them. For example my ability to write convincing dialogue is sub par so I work harder on that.

Another tip, this might seem a bit weird but hear me out, rp online. Seriously. Find some people who have similar tastes to yours and roleplay with them. If you're like me then the pressure of making others wait on your response will outweigh your desire to have the response be perfect.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Could you explain this to me like I'm five? I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. (I'm not being sarcastic. Actually asking.)
ok I'll try... say you're thinking something, and I know you're thinking of so many things at once. well, get some of it down, like a stream of consciousness, just get whatever you can down. More or less throw up your mind into what you type. Or write.

Then obviously the resulting product wasn't satisfying, but suprisingly the release itself once it was over, was. But now you have Ne basically making fireworks in your mind with what to change. Well don't just sit there, start changing it. The fireworks are prettier when you begin to actualize them through action. Then just rinse and repeat, before you know it, the process leads to a satisfying end. So perfectionism really worked with you as a process instead of as a catholic schoomaster slapping the shit out of you when things go wrong.

Reactions: Juggernaut

·
Registered
348 Posts
What do you do to combat it other than having someone to proof-read? Or are you still figuring that out?
Well, sometimes I just give up... like right now with this response. I had whole thoughts planned out and this is the shit I'm actually posting lol.

type. Or write.
^ this brought up a good point. Maybe writing by hand as opposed to typing will help. Something about the ease of backspacing tells me that perhaps writing with pen may be a solution. Maybe the ability to edit with such ease encourages perfectionism.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Carlton

God, I know what you mean too well. A lot of the time when I write, I think of all these super cool ideas to improve my story and then the original idea will be totally lost.
@Oreki

I used to rp believe it or not, but the pressure is what shied me away. I hated getting someone's hopes up only to disappoint them :C

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yes, to the point where it's sometimes debilitating.
How do you deal with it?
When it comes to writing, at least during the first draft phase, I have to use every ounce of willpower I have to ignore it. Having such a perfectionist mind set when it comes to editing is actually really good, but due to it being my natural way of thinking it makes getting to this editing stage next to impossible.

For me, I want to be the best. I cannot settle for anything less than the top of the top. Or at least somewhere very close to it. There's no 'That's good enough, it'll do' bullshit when I'm working on something.

Get an idea, refine the idea on a large scale. A story is only as good as its outcome. So if you don't know how it starts, how it evolves, and how it ends, then your story will ultimately be shit. Once you have the 'meat' of the story refined, you just need to sit yourself down and write it. Don't edit, don't stop. Just write it all the way through, until you end up with around 100,000 words of utter dog shit. Then you edit the life out of it, until you end up with something slightly better than dog shit. Then you re-edit it over, and over, and over again, until you finally end up with a something worth reading.

·
Banned
294 Posts
You can always edit afterwards.

You heard the Hemingway quote "Write drunk, edit sober" right?

Well all that means is to write without care or regard, you can always cut away the bits you don't like afterwards. Get into the flow state, move past a sentence as soon as it's written. Keep going forward.

Some authors will type on a keyboard and have their screen dimmed or completely turned off so they don't ever go back to read what they wrote, they just keep going on. That's how you get into the groove and stop procrastinating / letting perfectionism bog you down.

Here's an excerpt from the book called "Everybody Writes" that contains a good part about the editing process.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=vL... the main point or distracts from it.&f=false

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been told that I am an exceptional writer and have often admired literature. I have been able to come up with many ideas for books/ movies, but perfectionism plagues the writing process. Even though I would love to write my own, deep piece, I find it extraordinarily difficult because a fiction has infinite possibilities, and I feel like I have to get the perfect option from that infinite. So I have been hoping to find someone to try writing and collaborating with...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts