Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was wondering, for INFP writers, how and where do you get the most inspiration and ideas?

I find I am most creative and inspired when listening to music. It feels like each song has a certain amount of 'creative juice' in it. Some have more, some have less. Like some songs will give me loads of ideas, while some exhaust themselves quickly. It's weird to explain, lol.

I also seem to get a lot of ideas and be more inspired during the night, probably because in the day when I've got to write, the perfectionist come out in full force!

One place I don't seem to get the most ideas or feel particularly inspired is if I am just sitting at a desk with my notepad and have to force it out. It's like I have to be fully relaxed, and be listening to music to be transported into a different world. However, sometimes if I am sitting at a desk and do that stream of consciousness type of writing that can work wonders.

Let me know which music inspires you the most as well! :-D

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ever wonder what makes your ideas perfect?
It's a subjective judgement. What is perfect to you changes constantly as your awareness of other things grows.
In reality, those perfections are just you doing it a different way and all your various versions are equally well done.

Don't be afraid to do a lame version and later improve it. it's all valid.

Professionals learn this early on and keep copies of all of it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm the exact same in many ways, music can often bring out a lot of creative ideas to me and staying up at night (as I am now) also lets me think without any people or light to distract me, so I can imagine things really vividly sometimes. I often get a lot of inspiration and ideas from history as well and think about them during my spare time, because I read a lot of history. So I think your ideas are most liable to come from the things you read a lot of and are exposed to.

I have a habit since I was a child, I walk around the room in circles thinking. That makes my imagination better. Sitting at a desk isn't always as pretty for my ideas, so sometimes I'll sit and think but then get up and walk and think a bit more, and suddenly the ideas will come more clearly for me.

Music with fantasy/vague lyrics that can refer to concepts or ideas that are inspiring are the best for me. Music that just refers to things that happened in the songwriter's life or something that they did not quite so much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah! night definitely helps with the distraction part. Sometimes when I'm half awake I just get a flood of the most bizzare, surreal images that I have ever seen. It's like it's not even coming from me but someone else. Like once I saw a cowboy in a pyramid who was turning this giant neon circular light out on the ceiling of the pyramid lol. Don't know why that's stuck with me lol.

That's weird you say about walking to get idea generating, I do exactly the same thing. Often going for a walk outside or just walking up and down listening to music can get my brain chugging.

And definitely can relate to the vague lyrics thing. I really like Nine Inch Nails, The Veils, both are kind of vague and abstract at times, or music without lyrics.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Anything can inspire my stories. Literally anything.

Witnessing something in the street. Reading a book. Seeing an art piece. Music. A youtube video (even a beauty guru putting on false eyelashes can inspire me to write a whole love story, or a story of a hag who lives in the woods and uses war paint or something). When I'm in the shower, stuff just pops up in my head and it snowballs into whole plots. Movies. Tv shows. Videogames. Tarot and oracle cards. Gossip in my city. Life stories that my family tells me. Etc.

Reactions: Micky1994

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything can inspire my stories. Literally anything.

Witnessing something in the street. Reading a book. Seeing an art piece. Music. A youtube video (even a beauty guru putting on false eyelashes can inspire me to write a whole love story, or a story of a hag who lives in the woods and uses war paint or something). When I'm in the shower, stuff just pops up in my head and it snowballs into whole plots. Movies. Tv shows. Videogames. Tarot and oracle cards. Gossip in my city. Life stories that my family tells me. Etc.
Awesome! Sometimes the best ideas do come from moments you least expect. Seeing art is definitely a good one. I've always found Rene Magrittes, Not to be Reproduced painting to set my mind going. Thanks for the input :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My feelings inspire me most. I like to take these feelings and transform them into something new, describing them using metaphors. I used to write poetry - I haven't written anything new within the past few months - and I would think "I'm angry." And I would take that feeling and put it on a sort of "idea assembly line." Anger reminds me of bees, buzzing, red, vibrancy, monsters, clawing, passion. I let my mind branch out wherever it would like and write in a sort of stream of consciousness manner, editing things here and there afterwards.

I would be too distracted to write while listening to music, but it does sound nice.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My feelings inspire me most. I like to take these feelings and transform them into something new, describing them using metaphors. I used to write poetry - I haven't written anything new within the past few months - and I would think "I'm angry." And I would take that feeling and put it on a sort of "idea assembly line." Anger reminds me of bees, buzzing, red, vibrancy, monsters, clawing, passion. I let my mind branch out wherever it would like and write in a sort of stream of consciousness manner, editing things here and there afterwards.

I would be too distracted to write while listening to music, but it does sound nice.
Metaphors are great, love using them in all types of writing. And I get what you mean about music being distracting, it definitely can be if you've got a scene in your head and want to write a specific way. Sometimes you just need quiet to think. Same with editing, I don't use music for that either. Thanks for your input :-D

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,676 Posts
-Re-examining old ideas and putting them together to see if they work. I keep a mental catalogue of things I'm interested in.

-Star Trek (taking a step back from a situation and seeing it as an outsider)

-All my what-ifs regarding science (I can't make my own scientific discoveries, and the internet can't answer my copious questions, so I carefully design my own answers. Many different answers, often leading to fascinating moral dilemmas.)

-Jokes and humor. I get bored if there's nothing funny, so contemplating something that is funny is far more productive and enjoyable. It tells me a lot.

I'm a musician, but music doesn't inspire any creative writing out of me!! Lol! I don't want to retell someone else's story. Sometime's I'll hear a song, and I want to do something for it, but I can't. Hmmm... When I was younger, I never sang along to any music (for various reasons), and I drew like a crazy person, every day, so much. Nowadays I buy up a song I like and become a performance star in my car as I drive alone, and now I don't draw. I'm going to drive for 3 hours today—I'm going to not sing!! I'm not even going to tap my foot, and I will not play a single instrument today!! I'll even buy some songs I really want and torture myself with them! Will I explode into art?? I'm so excited!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-Re-examining old ideas and putting them together to see if they work. I keep a mental catalogue of things I'm interested in.

-Star Trek (taking a step back from a situation and seeing it as an outsider)

-All my what-ifs regarding science (I can't make my own scientific discoveries, and the internet can't answer my copious questions, so I carefully design my own answers. Many different answers, often leading to fascinating moral dilemmas.)

-Jokes and humor. I get bored if there's nothing funny, so contemplating something that is funny is far more productive and enjoyable. It tells me a lot.

I'm a musician, but music doesn't inspire any creative writing out of me!! Lol! I don't want to retell someone else's story. Sometime's I'll hear a song, and I want to do something for it, but I can't. Hmmm... When I was younger, I never sang along to any music (for various reasons), and I drew like a crazy person, every day, so much. Nowadays I buy up a song I like and become a performance star in my car as I drive alone, and now I don't draw. I'm going to drive for 3 hours today—I'm going to not sing!! I'm not even going to tap my foot, and I will not play a single instrument today!! I'll even buy some songs I really want and torture myself with them! Will I explode into art?? I'm so excited!!!
That's really cool! There's a lot of room to explore in science lol. Have you heard of that upcoming sci-fi film, Anihilation? Looks really good. And yeah, love reading comedies, writing them is definitely the hardest I find. Usually have to start the story as something dark and serious then gradually start to find the comedy in it. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,676 Posts
That's really cool! There's a lot of room to explore in science lol. Have you heard of that upcoming sci-fi film, Anihilation? Looks really good. And yeah, love reading comedies, writing them is definitely the hardest I find. Usually have to start the story as something dark and serious then gradually start to find the comedy in it. Thanks for the response!
No, I haven't heard of it—but now that you mention it, I'll probably start seeing advertisements all over the place! I watched a trailer, and I'm honestly a little scared that I'll feel sick from the suspense! I think having a female team is a fascinating choice. I think the women will be really clever and smart, and they'll help the audience explore some really deep things—whatever that may be! Thanks for the recommendation :)

I think something I'm writing counts as a comedy, but I do intend it to be taken seriously to a certain point! It's a fanfiction crossover of Star Trek: The Original Series and Thomas the Tank Engine. It's in the style of the Star Trek novels of yesteryear, and I was inspired after I read a really funny one called How Much for Just the Planet? (1987). That thing is chock full of buffoonery! But Enterprise the Starship, Warping Along is (surprisingly) not full of buffoonery. It's legit! It's sort of an allegory for the entities of fantasy and science fiction meeting and interacting. They seem to go together at first, but there is interesting conflict when they coexist! I hope I can finish my book eventually, but it's been a year and a half, and I'm still a procrastinator.

·
Registered
8,148 Posts
Wish you'd posted this in the writer's thread... I like this kind of conversation.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I can come up with ideas daydreaming. They may or may not be turned into stories.

I'll have a plan for a story plot developed before I really get into things, but all of my best inspiration comes while I'm writing the story out. It doesn't matter how crappy I might think it is, the more I get down, the higher chance I'll get into a state of flow and stop criticizing what I'm thinking. Eventually it becomes a seamless process of thinking and words appearing on the screen, and that's where the magic begins to happen. This is what I live for. Writing is the only thing I can do, where I'll have a random thought pop into my head and before I forget the idea, it's already realized in the physical world, outside of my head.

Once I've gotten all the crap out of my head and into a document, I play around with it, again focusing on making fixes to big plot holes, missing characters, etc. If I end up removing entire scenes or adding new chapters to suit the changes I'm going for, then so be it. I save everything that gets deleted and put it aside in case it has some value later on.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
On music.

Today I felt stagnant and then on a whim listened to some music I found yesterday... and then it began. I think that a lot of music can inspire me to make different things. So it is important to listen to the right thing. I know that sometimes I write something after being inspired but it doesn't feel like it comes from a place deeper that I'd like.

By luck I listened to something that was exactly what I needed.

I'm a certain age btw. And infj. If that makes things different. I kind of have a need for my art to be as nourishing as a good meal. It wasn't like that when I was younger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No, I haven't heard of it—but now that you mention it, I'll probably start seeing advertisements all over the place! I watched a trailer, and I'm honestly a little scared that I'll feel sick from the suspense! I think having a female team is a fascinating choice. I think the women will be really clever and smart, and they'll help the audience explore some really deep things—whatever that may be! Thanks for the recommendation :)

I think something I'm writing counts as a comedy, but I do intend it to be taken seriously to a certain point! It's a fanfiction crossover of Star Trek: The Original Series and Thomas the Tank Engine. It's in the style of the Star Trek novels of yesteryear, and I was inspired after I read a really funny one called How Much for Just the Planet? (1987). That thing is chock full of buffoonery! But Enterprise the Starship, Warping Along is (surprisingly) not full of buffoonery. It's legit! It's sort of an allegory for the entities of fantasy and science fiction meeting and interacting. They seem to go together at first, but there is interesting conflict when they coexist! I hope I can finish my book eventually, but it's been a year and a half, and I'm still a procrastinator.
That's sounds really cool and original, your idea. Never would have thought about Star Trek and thomas the tank engine. I haven't heard of How Much For just the Planet, will have to look it up! And don't worry about taking your time writing your story. I find that writing when you are really not in the mood can kill projects sometimes. Besides, even when you are not writing, you are still writing in your head lol, trying to figure it out and stuff.

Also, yeah that film looks absoultely filled with suspense. Can't wait :-D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can come up with ideas daydreaming. They may or may not be turned into stories.

I'll have a plan for a story plot developed before I really get into things, but all of my best inspiration comes while I'm writing the story out. It doesn't matter how crappy I might think it is, the more I get down, the higher chance I'll get into a state of flow and stop criticizing what I'm thinking. Eventually it becomes a seamless process of thinking and words appearing on the screen, and that's where the magic begins to happen. This is what I live for. Writing is the only thing I can do, where I'll have a random thought pop into my head and before I forget the idea, it's already realized in the physical world, outside of my head.

Once I've gotten all the crap out of my head and into a document, I play around with it, again focusing on making fixes to big plot holes, missing characters, etc. If I end up removing entire scenes or adding new chapters to suit the changes I'm going for, then so be it. I save everything that gets deleted and put it aside in case it has some value later on.

That's a great attitude to have! Sometimes getting going and getting stuck in is what I have trouble with, but you're right, I think once you can enter that flow state and break free of criticising yourself ideas and motivation come flooding in. And good idea about saving even the stuff you don't want to use yet, sometimes even a piece you hate can have a great line or idea in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On music.

Today I felt stagnant and then on a whim listened to some music I found yesterday... and then it began. I think that a lot of music can inspire me to make different things. So it is important to listen to the right thing. I know that sometimes I write something after being inspired but it doesn't feel like it comes from a place deeper that I'd like.

By luck I listened to something that was exactly what I needed.

I'm a certain age btw. And infj. If that makes things different. I kind of have a need for my art to be as nourishing as a good meal. It wasn't like that when I was younger.

Totally relate to the fact about having different music for different things. After writing for a few years now I know exactly which song fits into which kind of genre im writing. It's so fun to enter these imaginary worlds lol

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I start with the ending or most important scene and figure out what I want the story to say. Sometimes I look at my list of words that I like. Usually I focus on the emotional hooks of the story then go to characters and plot. Then setting and point of view. Tone is the thing that kind of all ties it together though and I spend alot of time focusing on that, too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I start with the ending or most important scene and figure out what I want the story to say. Sometimes I look at my list of words that I like. Usually I focus on the emotional hooks of the story then go to characters and plot. Then setting and point of view. Tone is the thing that kind of all ties it together though and I spend alot of time focusing on that, too.
Yeah, starting with the most important scene or ending is very useful way of doing it. That's great that you delve into the emotions aswell. Many stories you read forego that sometimes just so the story can fit a theme or idea. And I think it was The Coen Brothers who said that one of the most important things in a story is that it carries a consistent tone. Thank you for your comment!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts