Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ENFP
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I've had a horrendous 6 months health wise and it ended up putting me in a position where I can't work. My line of work was communications and content marketing so I thought, while I'm trying to get well, I might try writing a fictional story or two to see what I'm capable of coming up with.

However, I'm having a classic ENFP problem. My Extroverted Intuition gets very excited about a new idea so i start writing something but then, the next day, I find it boring because I've thought of another newer idea that I like more. I KNOW this is because of my lead function.

I don't seem to be able to stick to one idea at the moment without another perceived 'better one' getting in the way. Unfortunately, what I perceive as 'better' changes from day to day. I KNOW others must have run into similar problems. How can I follow through on these ideas without another idea taking over my enthusiasm? I'd like a way to do it in which I can keep my Extroverted Intuition happy so my inspiration isn't waning. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have not written a book before, so I dont consider myself an expert on the matter but. I'm thinking you should pick an idea with many possibilities, then work on appreciating the new ideas that might be smaller that add significant details.
Maybe consider bringing in factors from several ideas if it's compatible to make one masterpiece.

Only you can overcome the barrier of finding the process of your content boring. As an enfp I can imagine it being hard, as I would also prefer to just make suggestions on the "broader" idea of the story and work out the intro.

I would say make a schedule with some coffee or wine, and make some limiting rules of speculation outside the barriers of your profound book, to prevent you from working on entirely new ideas. Though might be hurtful for enfp's like uss to stick to the plan

and sorry, but, It will either way be self disciplin to finish an entire storry. You can't possibly stay inspired the entire time...
but just because you loose inspiration for a while does not mean it can't come back..
just my two cents.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Symptoms such as these are classic problems with lower Te, which would give you the 'drive' to sort through your ideas and see them through to completion.

Since I've been looping on and off since I was about... uh, fifteen :p I have developed Te to some extent, at least in finishing projects. (I'm 3/4ths through rewriting the first draft of a novel at present, which I wrote in two months time.)

Here's some tips:

If you've never managed to finish a longer project before, start SMALL.

By small, I mean sit down and write out an entire story in one go. No quitting. Just... BAM. You are a Ne-dom. You're probably able to be a fast writer. Don't worry about anything other than getting the damn thing out on paper. Ne-doms cannot and must not 'nurse' a short story along for months.

Whenever I do fanfic writing / writing for other people, I do it all in one go and let the chips fall where they may. That might be 6 thousand words, it might be 2 thousand words. Write it. Go back to it in a day or two and polish it. Done.

Learn that improving on it, ideas wise, comes with HARD WORK.

Do you want to commit to that hard work?

No? Tell that idea to shut up, since it's just bugging you. Write it down, stick it in a jar for the day you have nothing in your head. I have a huge mason jar full of half-baked ideas / thoughts that I refuse to let distract me from whatever project I am working on, because I KNOW distraction / being absent from it / writing something else at the same time will KILL IT.

Yes? Go with your bigger, better idea. But make sure it IS bigger and better.

In this book, I had a good idea that I discarded. Wrote an entire subplot I now no longer need / must modify in rewrites, because guess what... my first idea was better. I know it was, because as I started rewriting it kept haunting on me. Beating on my proverbial door. Telling me if I don't use it, I'm the biggest dumbass on planet earth. So, I'm using it, keeping it in my mind, honing the book toward it, figuring it out both in the long term and chapter by chapter as I go (okay, what do I need to establish here? how do I advance this relationship / plot twist / idea?). And, it'll be awesome when I'm done. In, uh... a week or so. (I write fast. So fast my friends hate me for it, and tell me to slow down, but hell no, I have a lot of books to write and a limited time on earth, and I almost died of boredom working on ONE project for two years straight. I'm done with that.)

I read somewhere that someone famous (ha, ha, inferior Si issues) said: inspiration is for amateurs.

It's true.

There are days I feel zero inspiration. I write anyway. Something. ANYTHING. I have literally sat at my desk, been furious with myself, and forced myself to pound out one super slow sentence at a time. I always go away mad, but also determined, because a Muse is a fickle friend who may or may not keep their appointment. Mine doesn't always, but that's fine. I don't need him. If he doesn't show up, well, he'll have missed something.

True, I may go back the next day and tear up everything I wrote and write something better, but the fact that it's there means I WON.

Here's a few general things:

- don't plan too far ahead in your mind; if you do that, you'll get bored (I generally try not to think about advance writing at all on creative projects / other than to fix a vague abstract idea in my mind, since I can totally trust my Ne/Te to help me in the process of writing)

- make short-term commitments (a short story this week, for example; I go by 'a first draft in four months' and because I have a lot of free time on my hands, I can usually do it in three)

- do not get carried away with ideas you don't love (here's where you need your Fi; unless you are truly passionate about a topic, you WILL abandon it, that's just the way Ne-dom life is; so don't go off half-cocked on ideas that excited your Ne until Fi went PFFT)

- learn some self discipline (it sucks, but you're gonna have to force yourself to finish some things IF you want to be a writer)

- don't deny yourself inspiration (if you're writing a story about Revolutionary France, watch movies about it, read books about it, make it into a learning process, so you stay interested; when I write, I find a picture -- anything that inspires me, that roots me to this moment, that gives me something to look at other than a boring blank page, and keep it open on my desktop beside my Word file, so every time I pause or need to think or stop for a minute, I can stare at it and feel happy; I choose something that goes with the mood of the chapter I'm writing)

I'm not sure if that's remotely useful, but that's the advice someone who has been writing nonstop for three-fourths of her life has to offer. :p

·
Registered
ENFP
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@angelcat

Thank you very much for that post - it sounds like very constructive advice to me. I used to spend most of my days writing at work, but only for projects that I knew would be short (I'm an ex journalist and was a content marketeer thereafter). Therefore, I'm better with writing projects if I know they are going to be reasonably short and I can dip in and out of them as needed in order to complete them (rather than doing them in one go).

You sound like you understand the principals of how to keep yourself going during long writing projects quite well to be fair. I feel like it's solid advice to just write something in one session to start with. I will definitely try some of this in the morning. It always sounds a bit hollow thanking someone on a forum but I really do appreciate your time and effort helping me. :)

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
@angelcat Girl, there is a lot of experience, helpful tips and wisdom in that post. Much appreciated! Back to the book!

Reactions: angelcat

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts