Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brainstorming:

Success
People often assume they have failed, when in reality they have not succeeded yet.

The Fundamental Attribution Error
People often attribute the behavior of others to "personality" or inherent traits, while justifying their own behavior using situational context.

For example, if you see a man on the side of the road kicking his car, you might assume that he has an "angry personality," while the man might justify his actions with the line of reasoning that anyone would be frustrated if their car broke down.

Diffusion of Responsibility
The assumption that others will take responsibility for something.

Example: In a famous experiment by Darley and Latané (1968), subjects were placed alone in cubicles and told that there were either one or five subjects in adjacent, similarly isolated cubicles. Subjects were told that they were supposed to talk about social problems. During the experiment, subjects heard what sounded like one of the other subjects having a seizure. When they thought they were one of six subjects, only 31% of the subjects responded to calls for help. When they thought they were the only person other than the person having a seizure, 85% of the subjects responded.

Clarity
That they have been perfectly clear, so the onus of understanding is on the listener.

Attention
That everyone else is paying close attention to everything you do and judging you for it.

Statistics
That all data are normally distributed
That all functions are continuous
That all sets are finite (or countable)

Feel free to add.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
-People often assume that I am intellectually inferior simply because I don't speak.
-They often assume that I mean what I say. :laughing:

-People sometimes assume that I'm depressed or angry if I don't act like talking to them is the best part of my day.

-Many people assume that they know me well, when in fact I almost never reveal my true self to anyone.

-When I have my headphones on people assume that I don't mind it if they interrupt what I am listening to so that they can spew some mindless/pointless drivel at me.

-People often assume that everybody else must think exactly as they do, otherwise they must be crazy.

I'll think of some more later.

·
Banned
29 Posts
-People sometimes assume that I'm depressed or angry if I don't act like talking to them is the best part of my day.

-Many people assume that they know me well, when in fact I almost never reveal my true self to anyone.
Yes yes yes.

> People assume that introverts are sad individuals and must be turned into extroverts.

> People assume that the more you talk, the cooler you are.

> People assume that if they meet a shy person, then they MUST "help" him/her to come out of his shell by forcing him to talk more and smile more, but they don't understand that this will make the shy person feel even more inadequate and inferior.

> People assume that introvert = shy.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
- directional signals are optional, especially at high speeds

- glare of death + headphones = please talk to me about your shitty wedding

- there is nothing more interesting than what you are telling me right now

- x happened. y happened after x happened. therefore x caused y :)shocked:)

- saying my ideas have no real-world application is a good way to get me to shut up

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
-That correlation equals causation
-That if they make a mistake it was inevitable but if someone else makes a mistake then they are an idiot
-That I have feelings which I don't have
-That introvert=quiet and/or shy
-That all animals are cats or dogs

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
-People often assume that homeschoolers get to run around doing whatever they want all day, or they assume that being homeschooled automatically means you're smarter than average

-Assume that homeschoolers are socially backwards and shy

-that having food allergies means you can't eat anything good

-assume that little children are really hard work, and they assume that they aren't very intelligent

Reactions: that

·
Registered
607 Posts

The Fundamental Attribution Error

People often attribute the behavior of others to "personality" or inherent traits, while justifying their own behavior using situational context.

For example, if you see a man on the side of the road kicking his car, you might assume that he has an "angry personality," while the man might justify his actions with the line of reasoning that anyone would be frustrated if their car broke down.
I noticed that people will create a false identity for others. They label people with a certain personality trait without really getting to know them. I guess it's easier for people to just assume things without taking the time to really learn about them. Too much work I guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My neglecting to elaborate constitutes some denial of other evidence which I'm assumed to have assumed trifling, or hadn't the capacity to recognize at all.

·
Registered
446 Posts
-Any sign that you are not participating in the social sphere (I am mockingly referring to The New Atlantis » Our Cell Phones, Ourselves at least I am mirroring the language of it and felt like pointing out that the article is somewhat connected.) is really a call that you want to participate in said social sphere. Book, music devices, cell phones, laptops are all things that are desperate cries for social interaction.

-Short curt answers that should be signalling "I don't want to talk." are assumed to be a challenge to get one to talk.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
I noticed that people will create a false identity for others. They will label people with a certain personality trait without really getting to know them. I guess it's easier for people to just assume things without taking the time to really learn about them. Too much work I guess.
l'll sometimes just listen with a curious expression to the analysis given me by people who l hardly know exist :cool:

l can't say l'm not guilty of the same thing, but l don't have the same motivations.

Sometimes you need to size a person up to a degree for a specific situation, other times you don't need to and you're just being a dickbag by forming ''opinions'' about others so you feel important and needed.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
-Assume that homeschoolers are socially backwards and shy
There's this dude that lived right across the street from my aunt who she's convinced is a total shut-in simply because he'd been homeschooled. He's also mormon, but that's a different issue entirely:

"But I see his car gone like almost every other day, and it's never back until next morning. It seems the guy lives quite outside this unjust rock you've placed over his head."

"But he doesn't know what Gilligan's Island and said he's never even heard of P!nk! P!nk!"

"...Your face, it belongs on that curb. Yes, that one right over there..."

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Some assumptions that particularly bother me:

-That opinions or beliefs, of which there are infinite possibilities, deserve respect or validation by virtue of merely existing
-That communication is a one way activity, in which "saying what one wants" puts the onus on everyone else to assume responsibility for all things unsaid.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
There's this dude that lived right across the street from my aunt who she's convinced is a total shut-in simply because he'd been homeschooled. He's also mormon, but that's a different issue entirely:

"But I see his car gone like almost every other day, and it's never back until next morning. It seems the guy lives quite outside this unjust rock you've placed over his head."

"But he doesn't know what Gilligan's Island and said he's never even heard of P!nk! P!nk!"

"...Your face, it belongs on that curb. Yes, that one right over there..."
I don't know what Gilligan's Island is either.... I must admit I fall into the category of homeschooler who stays around the house, but that's just happens to be because I'm an introvert. Some of my homeschool friends are very extroverted, are always out doing something, and have tons of friends.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
People assume that I am lazy or impassive - when I am not invested in them enough to reveal my internal thought process.
People assume that I am negative - when I strive for betterment and find loop holes, not to displease others, but to find ways to improve them.

Agreed with much of @that said.

·
Banned
279 Posts
Either my silence equates to pushover/inferior or the few words I do speak are of extra terrestrial origin with incomprehensible intellectual abilities that must be approached with caution in fear of experiencing condescension. I am neither, but if you think the second one, thank you :). Once upon a time, a girl in my high school English class asked me, "Why do you look at me that way? It's like you think I'm stupid." Apparently, just my stare of observation of the Earth's many humans is intimidating and condescending.

·
Registered
431 Posts
That when I reply to the socially expected question 'how're you' with 'fine/alright', that automatically means I'm in a foul mood and need help to feel better. Or that I need sympathy because I'm in a bad mood. I'm sorry I don't want to say 'good' every day. That's just as tedious as asking 'how're you'. But I can't just not reply to such a question, because THAT would be rude... -_-

That when I'm sitting alone on my break at work that means I'm just being shy and quiet and it's sad, so let's go over there and chat the entire 10-30 minutes. Maybe I like sitting alone every now and then. I chat with you guys on the job more than enough to make up for any perceived loss during break time. It's nothing against you. Sometimes I just need a break from it. Especially if I'm on day 4 or 5 straight of 8-9 hours of minimum wage (more or less) customer service-based work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts