Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone familiar with the concept of "action without action"?

A friend of mine called me a Wu Wei Master after pointing out I had little desire to initiate... well anything. But at the same time, my tendency to over think everything clashes with the ultimate goal of Wu Wei which is "to get out of your own way, so to speak."

If anyone has more information on this to share I would love to read it as my knowledge of it goes as far as the wikipedia entry.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I began to read the wiki entry and got bored, so I closed the window.

Does not really reading that make me a Wu Wei master?

Reactions: absent air

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think the wiki article really explains it perfectly. Taoism is supposed to be easy to explain, just hard to actually practice.

You could read the Tao Te Ching if you want to better understand it. It is relatively short and free on the internet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Felt this was an INTP-ish notion when I learned about it for the first time. Had some extraverted types state in class that it was so foreign to them that you could accomplish anything by "non-action". Made me laugh.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Sounds interesting.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Wu wei seems to be the result of incorporating the unconscious into one's daily activities in such a way that transcends our ordinary active/passive dichotomous scheme.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Some aspects of Wu Wei (my interpretation) based on what little I've read

Avoid meaningless actions and pointless striving

Einstein: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Adapt to one's natural environment (going with the flow)

Bruce Lee: "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

Attaining self-actualisation (unconscious competence)

Wu wei seems to be the result of incorporating the unconscious into one's daily activities in such a way that transcends our ordinary active/passive dichotomous scheme.
Attaining personal authenticity
Markers on the Path to Personal Authenticity

A good article: The Way of Non-Striving – Wu Wei - Journey of Success - Piggy's Blog

Reactions: Citruss

·
Registered
108 Posts
yessss.. now I can be lazy and just say I practice wu wei

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Yes, I encountered it in a world religions class back in high school, read about it a little and really identified with it. A beautiful simplicity about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts