Personality Cafe banner

XNTX - Your expertise is needed

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Bachelor 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying hi, offering you virtual tea and thanking you for clicking on this thread.
Hi! *offering you virtual tea* Thanks for clicking on this thread.

I have known that I'm a Rationalist for a very long time now (and I think it's pretty neat to belong to these wonderful 10% of the world's population), but I'm absolutely clueless about anything else.
Am I an introvert or an extravert? I have always been shy and cautious around people - I never really got around trusting them enough to entrust them with my feelings - something they could use to hurt me. But as of late I have grown to be more socially active, and even though the people around me still agree that most of my people skills are severely lacking, I feel like I have become more self-confident and versatile. I strive to start conversations, try to become a better listener, try to touch and hug and "feel", etc. - all of this because I have hurt a person very dear to me, just by being who I was. And I'm surprised by how easy it is for me - I simply say everything that's racing through my mind (something I have been wary to do) and surprisingly, other people seem to think that my way of thinking is bubbly, funny and even attractive.
I am still not trustful, but I have found that I don't have to trust people to entrance them and this has improved all of my social relationships (except for authority figures. Still can't stand authority figures). Could I have "changed" or discovered my "real self"?
Am I J or P?
While I could easily believe that I'm still an introvert, I find it really hard to fit in with just one group. I can sometimes lust for power and need my things organized, but then I absolutely don't care about anything and my whole room gradually becomes messier and messier - I kind of oscillate between being motivated to DO something, to MOVE something, to make an impact in this, the real world (and I actually do something, too) and then, all of sudden, withdrawing into the world of my ideas, concepts and stories and thinking all of my former efforts futile, fickle and bound to die as time passes.

I have researched a lot, but I am still torn between E/I and J/P. I stumbled upon this forum and found a questionnaire and I hope that you will be willing to share your opinions with me.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
See above.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
I would love to understand how the world, the universe or life works. I am aware that this is almost impossible, but I would like to shed more light onto these matters. Going with this, I would love to be a physicist or philosopher or both.
I would also like to be succesful author, whose stories have an impact on the world and shape the way many people think and feel.
I also want to travel the world (or, maybe, if it is possible in the future: the universe) to see as much as I can and further my understanding.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I always feel that way, when I'm working really hard on something, thinking so much that my brain starts to turn into mush and then - then - that one point when it goes "Bling!" and I see the answer, or the solution or the finished work in front of me... wonderful.

4) What makes you feel inferior?
When people confront me with their emotions and want me to do something about it - I try my best to help, but in the end I can't ever do much.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
I usually try to think every decision through from every aspect. I either decide after a long decision-making-process or out of the moment.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
I want to get as much personal gain and knowledge out of it as I can. I am a bit of a perfectionist, too, so I usually work on it until I feel that it's finished and that I am personally satisfied and if I am still interested in it (50/50 chance), I'll review it and make it "perfect".

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
I sometimes just sit around with my dad and we either experiment or philosophise and whenever we're finished, I'm always filled with this warm, giddy feeling.
When I write a story and am really caught in it, I experience the best and the worst of me, too. And, of course, when I'm with my close friends and we have a really good laugh about something.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
I try to tackle the topic from as many sides as possible - that way, I get an all-around understanding. Memorizing is not really my thing, though - if I've really understood, I remember it anyway.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
When push comes to shove (right before a dead-line), or I'm having one of my organized-fits, I can be the most organized person in the world.
But I'm quite prone to procrastinate and boy, do I hate myself for that. I can quickly organize a mess, though - I can clean up my (really, really) messy room in less than two hours, if I want to.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
I try to see how I react - do I initially think that it is right or wrong? Why? What could support it? What could tear the whole idea down? As soon as I've formulated an opinion, I put it to the test and discuss it with people, whose opinions I value highly.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I don't like injustice and if I see someone suffering, I can't help helping (even if I tell myself "Don't. This will only get you into trouble", sooner or later, I will help).
When everything is fine and dandy with others, I very much prefer to stay out of their sticky businesses.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
In day-to-day conversation, I prefer to speak and think simultaneously, because the topics at hand don't really interest me and I'm sometimes amused by the outcome.
If the topic is important to me, I will think for a long time before saying anything. Most of my arguments were initiated by me, trying to hold up my day-to-day pace, and therefore getting caught in my own logic.
Carefully chosen words>action>not carefully chosen words

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
If I've jumped a similar jump before, I'll jump quickly and without hesitating. If I've never done anything like it, it is questionable whether I will ever jump. If I do jump, it will only be after thinking it through and through and through. If I jump then, it will be the most beautiful jump you have ever seen.
If I don't, it will the most awkward back-out you will ever see.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
My friends don't call me for a night out. They know that it would be a complete waste of time to bother calling.
I also don't own a TV.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
My level of tolerance is high, but once I've passed a certain point I'm gone. I will break down, cry, sweat, facing one black-out after the other, feeling worthless and inhuman, unable to do anything. Like plugging out a computer - "zip" and I'm nothing but a black screen.
When I'm mildly stressted out, I a) talk to myself, gesture wildly and walk around, until I find a solution or b) shut down all outside noise, close my eyes and think until my brain melts away.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
I dislike emotional outbursts I don't understand, deliberate cruelty or stupidity, "fake" people (look at me, I'm so cool/adorable/aloof...), noisiness (although I can cope fairly well), others forcing me to do something.
I entertain a love/hate-relationship with people who fancy themselves better than other people - I always want to prove them wrong and think that I CAN prove prove them wrong, therefore showcasing my own arrogance.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
I really like talking about stuff that matters to me, or thinking about funny, absurd ideas and possibilities. I also like being educated by other people, although I would never admit that to them. Sadly, most people don't really want to talk about what I think of as "meaningful".

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
All kinds of social or political or sporting events, Hollywood gossip, ...

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
They probably think that I'm a bit weird (or really bonkers, depending on whom you ask), a book-worm, a lovable nerd, sweet, calm, nice and helpful, rubbish with emotions, caught in my own, little world, naive, aloof, clever, cold, defiant, adventurous and oblivious to what "is really going on in this world" (=pop stars, etc.)
They wouldn't know about the deep emotions and the occasional sadness or hollowness, since I never talk to them about it.
They would never call me aggressive, emotional or dangerous.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Sleeping untill noon, eating a delicious meal, working on some of my projects, reading, going somewhere I've never been before and finding inspiration, drawing, writing, watching a really good film, ...

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
I agree. The fact that you want to be able to understand the world and/or life itself, that you can be considered as aloof, and that you are oblivious to "what is really going on in the world" suggests that you are an INTP.

However, don't go off of me, as this is merely my opinion and is solely based off of my own knowledge of MBTI. ^^

Reactions: Loveternity
#4 ·
Thanks to both of you :)
I think you do have a point, and I'm rather curious to what other people might think. By the way: corvus? I love (as in love-love) your signature! Huge Sherlockian/Holmesian right here - I started reading the stories when I was about 8 or so and simply can't stop rereading them.

#5 ·
Uh, yes. Ti and Fe are the two functions I'm sure you have in your top four lineup. Ti is most likely dominant, perhaps auxiliary. Fe is tertiary or inferior. And you are an intuitive. So...INTP or ENTP. Try reading both descriptions and see which fits. I think INTP makes more sense. Though several people get mistyped as INTP because they "think".
Okay. Your other options are ISFJ/ISTJ. These are tertiary options though, and are unlikely.

Try taking a cognitive functions test. Post your results on here.

#6 ·
I agree with Amaterasu that INTP seems most likely, and that the Si types are the next best bet. Mostly because this paragraph sounds like Si personified:

If I've jumped a similar jump before, I'll jump quickly and without hesitating. If I've never done anything like it, it is questionable whether I will ever jump. If I do jump, it will only be after thinking it through and through and through. If I jump then, it will be the most beautiful jump you have ever seen.
If I don't, it will the most awkward back-out you will ever see.

#9 ·

@Amaterasu: I tried the test at "humanmetrics.com" and this is what I got:
Your Type is INTP. Strength of preferences...
Introverted... 11%
Intuitive...100%
Thinking...62%
Perceiving...44%

So I suppose you were all on the right track :)

@Fizz: I was fairly sure before, because I had taken an easier and lessdetailed test with the result "NT". With this test, however, it seemslike there are no doubts left...

Thanks again. I'm pretty confident in this now, and I think that the"Architect" might sound just like me. Shame, though, that I'm not the"Mastermind" - I mean, come on. What kind of a cool sounding title is that?^^

#12 ·

@Amaterasu: I tried the test at "humanmetrics.com" and this is what I got:
Your Type is INTP. Strength of preferences...
Introverted... 11%
Intuitive...100%
Thinking...62%
Perceiving...44%
Ignore that stuff for now and take a look at a cognitive functions test, if you are unsure about your P/J preference this will take care of that easier than any other method. I believe there's one in this sites test section, if not here are a couple of external ones:

Classic Jungian Cognitive Functions Personality Test
Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

#15 ·
You definitely sound like an Intp.

If you recently saw yourself as an introvert and now you feel or seem more extroverted, it's probably just a sign of you losing points on the introversion scale; or in this case, developing your outward functions.

Knowing this we can definitely rule down to either an INTP or an INTJ.

There is only a one letter difference here, but it completely flips all of your functions extrovertedness/introvertedness.

Spitting out every thought that comes to your head is a sign of being an Ne. This is because Ne's are constantly creating new ideas and are striving to get thoughts from other people.

Ni's are confidant with the intuitive thoughts that they have, and don't feel the need to express their ideas.

Ni ideas are usually more developed, usually are a bit less bouncy and less likely to be interchangeable so quickly.

Ni/Ne usually is best at determining how you spread what you figure out.

Ti/Te is usually better at figuring out what you value more in your thinking.

A Te will usually go on and on about theories and ideas that other people have had, and cite authority with that.

From you, I see you focus more on your own ideas, and less on credible sources/philosophers/thinkers etc.

A Ti will often not find this very persuasive and not pay much attention at all of where the data comes from, and pay more attention to the validity of the data.

A Ti will think logically and systematically at all things in the equation, not just the parts that are reliable and credible to look at.

I also think the feeling that you want to help people that need it is more oriented towards someone with inferior Fe than tertiary Fi.

This is all assuming your XNTX verification is correct.

#16 ·
Thanks again! I tried the tests on the Keys 2 Cognition- webpage and the one on similarminds.com and both seem to generally agree with you: It seems like I am an INTP.

Cognitive ProcessLevel of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************** (22.7)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.7)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (42.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************** (27.4)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.7)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ********************************** (34.9)
good use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************** (20.4)
limited use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************* (31.7)
good use

and

Te (Extroverted Thinking) (63%)
your valuation of / adherence to logic of external systems / hierarchies / methods

Ti (Introverted Thinking) (78%)
your valuation of / adherence to your own internally devised logic/rational

Ne (Extroverted Intuition) (75%)
your valuation of / tendency towards free association and creating with external stimuli

Ni (Introverted Intuition) (77%)
your valuation of / tendency towards internal/original free association and creativity

Se (Extroverted Sensing) (43%)
your valuation of / tendency to fully experience the world unfiltered, in the moment

Si (Introverted Sensing) (49%)
your valuation of / focus on internal sensations and reliving past moments

Fe (Extroverted Feeling) (32%)
your valuation of / adherence to external morals, ethics, traditions, customs, groups

Fi (Introverted Feeling) (50%)
your valuation of / adherence to the sanctity of your own feelings / ideals / sentiment

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
based on your results your type is likely - intp So, thank you again. I'm now pretty sure about this and I'll give kudos to you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.