Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
0. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Currently in the middle of an identity crisis and MBTI is not helping ;) On a more serious note I had a pretty traumatic upbringing and learnt to surpress my feelings very effectively. As that came to haunt me, I have actually started therapy six months ago. As this makes me focus on my feelings, this might cause a bias on my type.

1. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Look at the random photo for about 30 seconds. Copy and paste it here, and write about your impression of it.
Not allowed to post a link yet unfortunately. It was a heavily photoshopped landscape with a pinkish hue over it.
I timed it, but ended up looking two minutes at the foto. At first the colors really caught my attention. The scene is quite peaceful, "serenity" pops into my mind. At the same time it makes me feel gloomy, sad.

2. You are with a group of people in a car, heading to a different town to see your favourite band/artist/musician. Suddenly, the car breaks down for an unknown reason in the middle of nowhere. What are your initial thoughts? What are your outward reactions?
My initial thought is usually as to the cause of what happend, I might even blurt that out "oh crap, the tire is flat", before anyone even realized the car broke down. But then I will probably be overwhelmed by some emotion in regards to missing the show. I don't like having to deviate from a plan and can expierence childish-like emotions when it does happen. Outwards though noone will see a thing, as I will be stoic, acting the appropriate part. At the same time I will also use logic to calm myself down. Like when will the next show be, it's no big drama, noone got hurt. In the meantime everyone will buzz around the car, busy fixing the problem. After my initial response has been defeated, I will excel at coming up with the best solution to get to the show anyways.

3. You somehow make it to the concert. The driver wants to go to the afterparty that was announced (and assure you they won't drink so they can drive back later). How do you feel about this party? What do you do?
I would rather go straight home and process all the sensory input on my own. I will feel social anxiety, but at the same time I will blurt out "oh yes, sounds like fun", so noone believes me to be anti social. The outcome of the party will depend highly on who I am with, but most likely I will be fine for an hour and start counting the seconds afterwards. I will need to expend a lot of energy to act social and fun, sometimes taking a break in the restroom where I will just need to take a deep breath so I can go back in.

4. On the drive back, your friends are talking. A friend makes a claim that clashes with your current beliefs. What is your inward reaction? What do you outwardly say?
Normally I don't engage in an argument, I will make one attempt to offer opposing ideas and leave it at that. But if it's a belief concerning right or wrong, or some moral clash with my position, I will get quite mad. At first I will try to think of the best arguments to use against and eventually will unleash them. I won't always be understood though.

5. What would you do if you actually saw/experienced something that clashes with your previous beliefs, experiences, and habits?
It would effect me deeply and even though my instinct would be to look away, to be invisible, I would act somehow against it.

6. What are some of your most important values? How did you come about determining them? How can they change?
In terms of social conduct I rank honesty extremely high, as well as justice, fairness and "doing the right thing". Might be my German roots, or upbringing from authoritarian parents, not sure really.
At work/ practicing hobbies I am very determined and strive for continuous learning and personal growth. I would like to make a difference through my job or at least by doing some good, like donating blood. I think the personal ambition comes as a means to compensate for lack of self esteam and am afraid that is ingrained in my character.
Finally compassion is important for me, but I suppose that is easier to practice when I do not lack anything in my life.

7. a) What about your personality most distinguishes you from everyone else? b) If you could change one thing about you personality, what would it be? Why?
a) I am a really deep thinker, who doesn't really care about social norms. If I get too close to a chatty friend, I will cool off the friendship until I am save from random chitchat. I have a determination that is far too intense for more people. I have a very low threshold for incompetence, unless someone is really trying their hardest.
People who know me well call me "chameleon", depending on the situation and group I am in, I will naturally take on a missing role. I can be very caring, social, harmonious and one second later I will be direct, blunt and to the point. I can get lost in the detail of a task, be quiet and reserved and one second later I will be an outgoing big picture person.
b) I would like to get a grip on myself, hence this Thread. I get frustrated for the contradictions in my head. For example I hate going to a big party and then loathe myself for not going and then feel like the loneliest person in the planet.

8. How do you treat hunches or gut feelings? In what situations are they most often triggered?
This totally flies under the radar for me. I trust my instincts and intuition, they never let me down. Yet I don't often observe them consciously, I still feel like I make all my decisions by logic alone. I do get gut feelings when making major life impacting decisions though. And I can always reason them with logic arguments.

9. a) What activities energize you most? b) What activities drain you most? Why?
a) Alone time, preferably in the woods, or at the water. Can be quite laid back, or coupled with sports like MTB or kitesurfing (though more rarely). Used to be cuddling with my beloved cat, which has passed away. Can also be work related though, being appreciated, closing a project, getting something difficult done. Coming up with novel ideas. I think being able to be in my head is the key for me recharging.
b) Social gatherings, 60+ hour workweeks and being interrupted/ disturbed (also from routine). I guess I get overstimulated by noises, people, etc. Also when I am being restricted through micro-management or disturbed from my plans, I get very flustered. Suppose I am a control freak at heart.

10. What do you repress about your outward behavior or internal thought process when around others? Why?
I have an extremely external focus, so I will model my behaviour to whatever I believe the other person wants to see. This is due to a feeling of insignificance after emotional neglect in my childhood. I don't believe I repress my internal thought processes because of others though, I will ocassionally steer it though if I am feeling I am going down the wrong path with my thinking pattern.

So, now I am curious if someone can help me with MBTI typing. I do have my own estimated guess of course, but would like to see what comes up based on the questionnaire. And yes I do know I am beyond help, but that is beside the question here ;)

Thanks for reading and responding!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What makes you think that you are a J type?
If you check my introduction post, I have been typed as an ENTJ. Also usually come out with J on tests. But in the past I have been looking at INFP and INFJ and could not really differentiate. Though at that time I was not aware of the underlying cognitive functions. The person who typed me, was quite certain on the extraverted thinking though, which I guess is not a dominant or auxiliary function of a xxxP.

Any guesses?

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you check my introduction post, I have been typed as an ENTJ. Also usually come out with J on tests. But in the past I have been looking at INFP and INFJ and could not really differentiate. Though at that time I was not aware of the underlying cognitive functions. The person who typed me, was quite certain on the extraverted thinking though, which I guess is not a dominant or auxiliary function of a xxxP.

Any guesses?
If you are confident about the J because of tests, you should be confident about the other letters too...

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Hello, @Khaladriel!

Sorry, I don't see how's this ENTJ.

ISFP most likely.

Fi* dom cuz there is a strong and evident vibe of what Fi* is like (subjective focus; how beautiful, significant something is to you etc.). Se* is also apparent, since you seem quite aware of your surroundings and use sensing to describe, explain something quite a lot.

*Fi - introverted feeling
*Se - extroverted sensing

We type by functions, not the letters (much better). Each type has 4. Best to look at top 2.

Now the reason you were typed ENTJ, let me guess, could be because you are enneagram 3w4. They are all hungry for being like ENTJ. lol

Don't take enneagram seriously tho, I am kind of guessing this one.

If you are confident about the J because of tests, you should be confident about the other letters too...
Where's this beautiful logic coming from though?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where's this beautiful logic coming from though?
If she's been typed as ENTJ why only accept the J, why not accept the whole typing? If she's done function or dichotomy tests, why only accept the J result why not accept the results for all of the letters? Seems logical to me.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
If she's been typed as ENTJ why only accept the J, why not accept the whole typing? If she's done function or dichotomy tests, why only accept the J result why not accept the results for all of the letters? Seems logical to me.
If she's done the tests, read about the functions, types, dichotomies, letters, and thinks that J is totally her, whilst she's not too certain about the else, I don't see why not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If she's done the tests, read about the functions, types, dichotomies, letters, and thinks that J is totally her, whilst she's not too certain about the else, I don't see why not.
In that case it's not about logic but personal choice. Sure she can choose any of the letters that she wants, and if that is really what she wants to do then she can pick any of the four letters that she likes and calls that her type. But I expect that this would not be an accurate way to decide on one's type.
Do you think that she would be helped by me agreeing that she is J simply because she believes she is a J type, or is she better off if I question her choices when I think she is wrong?
In your post you have decided ISFP for her thereby disagreeing with her choice of J, yet you are objecting to me questioning that very same choice.
Hello, @Khaladriel !

Sorry, I don't see how's this ENTJ.

ISFP most likely.
From her original post it seems that finding out her correct type is important to her. I assume that she truly wants to find out her type accurately. If her choice of J is incorrect and she does not change it then there is no way that she will find out her correct type.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
In that case it's not about logic but personal choice. Sure she can choose any of the letters that she wants, and if that is really what she wants to do then she can pick any of the four letters that she likes and calls that her type. But I expect that this would not be an accurate way to decide on one's type.
Do you think that she would be helped by me agreeing that she is J simply because she believes she is a J type, or is she better off if I question her choices when I think she is wrong?
In your post you have decided ISFP for her thereby disagreeing with her choice of J, yet you are objecting to me questioning that very same choice
lol, of course that is not an accurate way to type yourself. She's new. She's starting with basics.

Your intentions are good, but all you told her was: "if you think you are J, you should be confident about the other letters too". It literally seems if you know you are J, it's clear what the other letters are then.

Letters don't matter at all, we all type by cognitive functions.

From her original post it seems that finding out her correct type is important to her. I assume that she truly wants to find out her type accurately. If her choice of J is incorrect and she does not change it then there is no way that she will find out her correct type.
When she wants to find her real type, she won't even care about the letters. Let's be real.

·
Registered
159 Posts
lol, of course that is not an accurate way to type yourself. She's new. She's starting with basics.
In a previous post you said that she could choose J if she wished, without actually confirming for yourself how she got there. And now you say it's not an accurate way to type yourself. If you believe that she is starting with the basics then what's the problem with me questioning her decision?

Your intentions are good, but all you told her was: "if you think you are J, you should be confident about the other letters too". It literally seems if you know you are J, it's clear what the other letters are then.
I have already explained my reasoning in a previous post, so it's not clear to me why you are bringing it up again.

Letters don't matter at all, we all type by cognitive functions.
I did not say that letters mattered or didn't matter, I only questioned her choice of J.
If you believe that she should only type by cognitive functions then you should have no problems with me questioning her choosing J as the last letter, since she did not mention this coming from her analysis of cognitive functions.

When she wants to find her real type, she won't even care about the letters. Let's be real.
What has this got to do with anything? Are you saying you know that she doesn't want to find her real type just yet? How do you know that she won't care about letters? What happened to letting her decide how she wants to type herself?

At this point it's not clear to me what exactly you are complaining about. You started this argument by saying that she should be able to choose J if that's what she wants. Yet at the same time you decided to type her as ISFP and by doing so assigned her all four letters. I on the other hand simply questioned her choice of one letter, without even saying that she was wrong in that choice.

If you are going to continue this, then you'll need to come up with a specific complaint that I can address.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
@robert666

AGAIN

Basically, your post says that she should question whether she's really J, if she is not certain about other 3 letters.

It's just seriously flawed. Don't you get it?

·
Registered
159 Posts
@robert666

AGAIN

Basically, your post says that she should question whether she's really J, if she is not certain about other 3 letters.

It's just seriously flawed. Don't you get it?
This is something I have already gone over in a previous post. Here is my response again.
You say it's seriously flawed but you don't explain why you think it's flawed. If you expect to argue that it's flawed then you had better come up with an explanation as to why, otherwise you are wasting my time.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
This is something I have already gone over in a previous post. Here is my response again.

You say it's seriously flawed but you don't explain why you think it's flawed. If you expect to argue that it's flawed then you had better come up with an explanation as to why, otherwise you are wasting my time.
Did you read my previous posts? lol

You are wasting mine. Begone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for having sparked an argument here, unfortunate to see.

Robert666 had a point of questioning the J/P determination, but at the time of reading I think I would have preferred a bit more context to explain. But anyhow, I am new to the underlying system, so forgive me for being ignorant :).

Thanks for taking the time to look at my questions Apple Pine, your elaborations have been very useful to me. So I went ahead and looked at your estimated type, as well as the cognitive functions. I am still not in the clear, but the picture is starting to become clearer. So in order to get a grip of mytype, I spent a lot of time researching cognitive functions.

I believe that Thinking is certainly one of my dominant functions (dominant or auxiliary). Also in any assessments I have done, logic came out as my strongest thinking preference. If I look into the expression, both Te and Ti appeal strongly to me, whereas Te seems to describe me best.

I have also looked at Intuition, which has ranked second highest on previous assessment, closely following logic. Also Ne and Ni descriptions both ring very true to me, though I identify with Ne the most. Obviously one of them has to be an introverted expression, if Thinking and Intuition are to be my dominant and auxiliary functions.

Then I looked at Feeling as I can be quite "emotional". Reading about the functions, the only match is with Fi, I am definitely not Fe. Fi sounds familiar but at the same time I am very much out of sync with my own feelings. For example when I had a highly stressful time, the only time I noticed this stress is when I was hospitalized with a stomach bleed. For years I listened to very depressing music, not once noticing it effects my mood. I can be overly emotional, but always end up using my logic to make decisions, etc. If I don't use my logic, I can be in dangerous destructive territory. So to me it sounds like this is a tertiary or inferior function.

Last but not least, I have looked at Sensing. I really believe this can't be one of my dominant functions. If I have to decide between Se and Si, I think the later resonates a bit more, but there is no strong preference. I notice next to nothing in my environment, unless I am in relaxation mode and alone, then I can appreciate beauty. In terms of being in touch with my physical environment, I am extremely clumsy and poorly coordinated. I need eternities to learn a new sport, etc. When I use sensing, I totally overdo it, like overindulge in food or shopping or whichever stimuli I can find (also in form of an adrenaline junky). So to me sounds like this is an inferior function as well.

So when I look at the ISFP it has qualities I recognize, but I am more of a planner and organizer. I can also be very impatient and intolerant towards people's behavior. I can tilt if I consider one of my peers to be "incompetent". I have an eye for beauty in nature, but I am not able to craft anything pretty in contrast to the rest of my family. My house is completely empty and cold, so I do not think I value being surrounded by an aesthetically pleasing environment either.

If I focus on the dominant functions however, I am left with these possible types:

INTJ: Ni – Te – Fi – Se
INTP: Ti – Ne – Si – Fe
ENTJ: Te – Ni – Se – Fi
ENTP: Ne – Ti – Fe – Si

Looking at the most "appealing" cognitive functions, I am sure I am skewed on some of the e/I expressions. So I guess I am not as clearly J as initially stated.

ENTJ I have researched in depth and while it does resonate due to the Te, the rest I do not feel matches me strongly. I have also looked at the INTJ and even though it does not make me think "yes, this type is awesome", it seems like an honest fit in many aspects. Also INTP and ENTP I should be able to discard, as I totally do not recognize any of the traits of Fe. But as these are expressed as tertiary or inferior functions on these types, I have left them open for now.

What would be the best way to narrow it down to one final type? Or did I take any leaps in my thinking, which might have put me on the wrong track? Would love to hear your input. I find it incredibly hard to type myself, I usually lack "grip" on myself. I am extremely analytic about my external environment, but when it comes to myself and how I feel… <blank>. :unsure:

Help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure if it helps:

Extroversion |||||||||| 36%
Orderliness |||||||||||||| 60%
Emotional Stability |||||||||||| 50%
Accommodation |||||||||||||| 54%
Inquisitiveness |||||||||||||||| 70%

RCOAI