Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend whose type is eluding me.
Some (hopefully helpful) characteristics:
  • Loves to analyze and speculate about other people. What they were like in the past, what they'll be like in the future, what they're really thinking, how they relate to the people around them.
  • Likes to think about the nature/meaning of life.
  • Frank, outspoken, sometimes rude.
  • Opinionated. Likes to debate. Finds my INTP neutrality maddening, and usually tries to get me to pick a side.
  • Dislikes authority/being told what to do.
  • Anxious to find love, discouraged that it hasn't happened yet. A proud hopeless romantic, with no outlet.
  • Spends lots of time alone, and is comfortable with this, but always open to social activity.
  • Asks revealing/personal questions of his friends. It's hard to have a shallow friendship with him.
  • Makes friends fairly easily. He's outgoing, people find him unique and intriguing and he's interested in them.
  • Always finding a new hobby, a new musical instrument, a new way of looking at life. Tries everything, usually doesn't stick with things for too long.
  • Good creative writer.
  • Sometimes shows a random/goofy sense of humor.
  • Music is hugely important to him. Carries speakers wherever he goes.
  • Resents assigned work, but manages his time well in order to get it out of the way.
  • When he wants a new car/musical instrument/etc. he does his research and finds the best-rated one, weighing price with quality and style.
  • Constantly warring inclinations: do what's best in the long run or be reckless and live life to the fullest.
  • Not afraid to put himself out there or make a fool of himself.
  • Bedroom is messy: unmade bed, clothes lying around, books, papers, computers, computer accessories, whatever else.
  • As a kid he was seen as "eccentric" (and sometimes still is). Was well-liked but didn't have any close friends. (He has lots now.)
  • Up-and-down moods, shifting from day to day, week to week, or month to month. Sometimes happy, adventurous and full of energy, other times existentially depressed.

I'm thinking perhaps ENXP...?
Any ideas as to what type he might be?
Thanks! :happy:

·
Registered
22 Posts
INFJ? Looking to the future is Ni, and Ni can be opinionated. Outgoing, creative writer, romantic, and shifty moods could be a form of Fe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ENTP is what i'd guess. Asking revealing questions and such could be an Fi thing, but idk. That's the only thing which really threw me for a loop; and as a Ti dominant, I'm generally one to avoid trampling on people's emotional space. Although, I absolutely love to speculate haha

·
Registered
672 Posts
Although it has two votes, the ENTP I know has only one of two of the stated traits. My vote is ENFP.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Carries speakers wherever he goes.
The vision this conjures up...I hope this is something like a Sony Walkman rather than 6 foot by 2 foot living room speakers on a backback.:crazy:

Reactions: LQ9 and The Phantom

·
Registered
487 Posts
Either he's a messy, outgoing/talkative INTJ, or a seclusive ENTP. My vote is more towards the J because of the whole opinionated thing, not saying were not opinionated, we just tend to with hold our opinions until the very last minute. Go over the actual type description things to see how the pieces all fit together. It's easier that trying to decipher him in different parts.
Try these: INTJ, ENTP, ENTJ, and perhaps INFP, INFP, ENFJ and ENFP, though I see no reason to catagorize him as a feeler. We thinkers have emotions too, ya know.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
ZCDQ? :crazy:

Meaning I don't really know. Wish I knew more how to type people in my world.

I'll go with INFP.

He seems introverted cos he spends LOTS of time alone and is said to like it. probably open to social activity because he wants to meet someone to be 'romantic' with. Dunno about the N thing I guess I just threw that one in. The F, because he's a hopeless romantic and craves that, also moody etc.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vision this conjures up...I hope this is something like a Sony Walkman rather than 6 foot by 2 foot living room speakers on a backback.:crazy:
Hahaha, they're pocket speakers, but I can picture the other option so clearly now...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks so much, everyone!
After all your comments I'm pretty sure he's an E. He is comfortable alone, but I don't see him being alone as a way to recharge, somehow, something I always think of I's as needing. Plus, he's incredibly open about himself. He'll tell a friend, or even a stranger, just about anything he/she wants to know (or doesn't want to know). The part that got me confused was the amount of time he spends thinking by himself, but I think that just shows the N, plus an ability to be solitary.

I'm still not sure about P vs. J. He's either an opinionated P with unusually good time management skills, or he's a messy, spontaneous and independent J. Is there anything else you all would need to know in order to decide?

Can't tell about T vs. F, either. He's clearly interested in and motivated by emotions, and much more comfortable discussing them than I am. He's a more emotional person than I am, as well, although I know that's not the definition of T vs. F. He's definitely more easily upset and discouraged (though internally more than by others) than the average INTP. He cares about how others are feeling, but he's generally much more frank than tactful, which is a T trait. Once again: is he a blunt F or an emotional T?

ENTP sounds like a fairly accurate description. Always trying new things, good conversationalist, nonconformist, inventor.

The ENFP description sounds plausible, too, but seems like more of a fun-loving group leader, which he can be at times, but it doesn't seem to encompass his whole personality so well.

ENFJ I've experienced in the past to be warm, enthusiastic mothering types. The descriptions I'm reading support that. He's too outspoken and judgmental about others to fit that one. Plus, he's not a caretaker. He likes to hear one's problems, offer advice or empathy, and move on.

ENTJ are described as efficient and organized. He can be this, but he sometimes loses interest in his goals and moves on to something else. He is confident, assertive and outspoken, like the description. But overall ENTJ sounds very hardworking, impartial and businesslike. I don't know if my friend cares this much about "getting the job done."

So... does that mean he's an ENTP?

·
Registered
817 Posts
INFJ? Looking to the future is Ni, and Ni can be opinionated. Outgoing, creative writer, romantic, and shifty moods could be a form of Fe.
The way I see it...
Si - lives in the past
Se - lives in the present
Ne - lives in the future
Ni - lives in the past, present, and future (or some weird dimension)

Your friend does sound like an ENTP. The tidbit about researching before buying something reminds me of my ENTP friend. He will refuse to take another person's advice and rather search the internet for every last piece of information on whatever he's about to buy. Is that not Ne + Ti blatantly at work?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds like a more balanced E/INTP who might be a 9. Except for some of the minor things he could a lot like me (INTP Pure 9)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Souns to me like an ENFP. Maybe, an ENtP.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'd say ENTJ.

I have a friend who's an ENTJ, and sounds exactly like your friend.
*He loves to debate anything and will not give up until he wins and if i just give up he will say that i'm stupid for even trying to debate him.
*Very very cocky (insecure inside i'm sure), just appears to know it all, be the best at everything.
*LIkes to be online all the time, researching or i don't know what the hell he's doing
* Has like 2 or 3 different jobs
*Can be very very rude , especially if you don't agree with him on something, he'll call you stupid to your face.
*He's not very organized, actually quite messy, although he thinks he's organized
*He tries to make all his actions sound logical and will not admit to having feelings (althout i know from his girlfriend he can be pretty romantic, spontaneous, i think he even cries sometimes :)
*He's comfortable being alone, and being around people also
*He thinks he's perfect and God's gift to society. lol

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I would think ENFP. He seems like he could be Ne dominant, but I'm not quite sure about ENTP...

·
Registered
8 Posts
He sounds like an ENFP.

Slight extrovert.
Strong intuitive.
Moderate feeler.
Strong perceiver.

I strongly disagree with those who believe he is a J. That he never sticks with anything too long is usually a sign of a perceiver. Also, his room is constantly messy.

Some questions: Has he ever lost his temper? What was it like? Is he religious? Why music is important to him? I think the last question may reveal the most about his T/F split.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts