Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
ISTP 5w4 sx/sp 583
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the MBTI community, most villains (stereotypical or otherwise) are typed as ENTJ or INTJ. I wonder if there are xSTJ villains and if they (at least for some) are portrayed in the same way as their intuitive cousins.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I suppose the stereotypical villian has plans and schemes, which is why then lend more towards xNTJ's.
I imagine there are xSTJ villians, but I can't think of any now. Probably more the type of villian who is 'stuck in their ways' and forces it on everyone else, so the hero has to break people away from them. That seems the closest xSTJ villian stereotype.
Maybe the dad in 'Brave'? I'd hardly call him a villian, but he fits the stereotype otherwise.
I've heard two-faced from batman is an ESTJ. It seems xSTJ villian are generally seen as more sympathetic, which is probably a good thing.

·
MOTM June 2015
4,376 Posts
ISTJ – Darth Vader

Almost every Myers-Briggs type wants to have Darth Vader as their own villain, but alas, the ISTJs are the ones who get to claim him. He’s an excellent example of an unhealthy ISTJ. For this assessment, I’m only going to look at the Darth Vader of the classic Star Wars movies – I haven’t seen the new movie and I don’t even know if he’s in it.

On a side note: In real life people don’t change personalities, but in movies this can happen because these are fictional characters after all and screenwriters don’t always write the most three-dimensional characters, especially for villains. So Anakin Skywalker from the prequels may have a different personality than Darth Vader of the classic movies.
We see Vader’s use of Si (Introverted Sensing) and Te (Extraverted Thinking) in the way he desires order and structure in the universe. He has no problem dishing out commands or taking the lead, but he thinks before he speaks and keeps certain thoughts and feelings private. Where ESTJs or ENTJs tend to think ‘out loud’ more, ISTJs will keep their thoughts more hidden and only say what they feel is necessary. This is apparent with Vader who chooses his words carefully and has a purpose for each thing he says. Vader doesn’t mind working underneath the Emperor – he doesn’t desire total control, which is something an EJ type would be more likely to want. Darth Vader is proficient at making sure his master, Emperor Palpatine’s, requests are met and that things are finished in a timely manner. Order, routine, and the schedule at hand are all very important to Vader.
Join me, and I will complete your training. With our combined strength, we can end this destructive conflict and bring order to the galaxy.”

“You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I’m here to put you back on schedule.”
We see Vader’s use of Fi (Introverted Feeling) in the way he cares deeply for his son, Luke, no matter how much he may try to restrain his feelings. His emotions and compassion aren’t broad – he has no concern for the soldiers he kills, but he can’t let go of his feelings for his children. In the end, Vader’s Fi redeems him and shows that he’s more than just the Emperor’s puppet.
Darth Vader’s use of inferior Ne (Extraverted Intuition) is limited – we mostly see him using Te, his more advanced function. However, we do see Vader use Ne in the possibilities he sees if only Luke and himself are able to form a partnership.
There are various opinions on Darth Vader’s personality type – some different from mine. I am completely okay with this because as I write these posts I find it harder and harder to truly type a fictional villain’s personality. So if you want to see various perspectives, you can check out these links:
Darth Vader – ISTJ – Zombies Ruin Everything
Darth Vader – ISTJ – Funky MBTI Fiction
Darth Vader – ENTJ – Marissa Baker (I love this blogger and she does a good job of providing an alternative theory about Darth Vader’s type!)

https://www.psychologyjunkie.com/2016/02/26/the-greatest-villains-of-every-myers-briggs-type-part-4-the-guardians/

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
In the MBTI community, most villains (stereotypical or otherwise) are typed as ENTJ or INTJ. I wonder if there are xSTJ villains and if they (at least for some) are portrayed in the same way as their intuitive cousins.
I think there's quite a few, but a lot of them get mistyped because people are stuck in this "SJs are all law-abiding citizens" mindset.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Those ISTJs that are inclined to be villainous probably would go unnoticed by most... They'd meticulously plan before acting, would have the situational awareness to know when something was going awry as well as the discipline to abort the plan when it does. They'd also not be inclined to discuss or show off the fruits of their endeavors. These are all the same reasons people perceive us as rule followers when in reality we're just better at safely and discreetly breaking them than most.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I think General Zod in Man of Steel is ESTJ.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
Can't think of a specific ISTJ villian, but an origin story could be that they were once a law abiding citizen or maybe even a cop that went bad and took matters into their own hands (vigilante) due to mistrust of the law and justice system that has disappointed them time and time again. Jim Gordon gone terribly wrong?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I don't really play the game of typing fictional characters but if we are at Batman than, Two-Face probably.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
Thinking it over, an ISTJ villain would be strange. Too afraid to take risks, so their plans would become repetitive and easy to predict, eventually. They would know this of course, so they would have planned it all in their head before taking any steps to be extra careful, and in the end, they never actually make any villain moves. It's all in their head only.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
And INFPs are always the the heroes. Right?
I actually can see how an INFP can easily be a villain. The Penguin from Gotham for example. Well, he is an INFJ/ENFJ but similar imo. Personal vendetta against society and an idealistic dream to change the world in an evil way (but just to them)? Very likely.

·
Her Royal ESFPness
2,879 Posts
I actually can see how an INFP can easily be a villain. The Penguin from Gotham for example. Well, he is an INFJ/ENFJ but similar imo. Personal vendetta against society and an idealistic dream to change the world in an evil way (but just to them)? Very likely.
oh shut up bunny shit pants.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Depends what you mean by "villain". Do you mean in spec fic (usually accompanied by special powers), or antagonists in any settibg? Seems to me like SJ villains/ antags are more likely to show up in psychological/ thriller/ something based closer to modern society, whereas you get more INTJs (or ESFPs mistyped as INTJ imo) in extra powers/ advanced technology settings.

Seems like Criminal Minds has had a few S(T?)J villains, and I think Vogler from House MD was STJ but it's been a long time since I watched it and I don't remember my reasoning behind it. 😛

I guess I'm not being as helpful here as I thought I'd be. >_<

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Thinking it over, an ISTJ villain would be strange. Too afraid to take risks, so their plans would become repetitive and easy to predict, eventually. They would know this of course, so they would have planned it all in their head before taking any steps to be extra careful, and in the end, they never actually make any villain moves. It's all in their head only.
If this in your mind is what makes someone ISTJ, then yes people who fit that are not likely to be villains. However I think this is more just an unnecessarily closed way of seeing people as types.

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,547 Posts
If this in your mind is what makes someone ISTJ, then yes people who fit that are not likely to be villains. However I think this is more just an unnecessarily closed way of seeing people as types.
Well this is pretty closed off in of itself since it’s about “the” ISTJ villain. In reality, anybody can become a villain and I can see an ISTJ villain but not in the usual way portrayed in mainstream movies. They would be more of a vigilante kind of self righteous villain on a mission to focus on their goal and fulfill their duty to themselves or others. Like Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist (fictional character from an anime). That’s the kind of villain an ISTJ would be.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Dexter. Typically. A psychopath whose impulses were channeled through a early childhood learning. From memory he is already starting to kill animals during this period. This strange mix of integration and anti-social personality works because of his cognitive functioning. In comparison 47 (ISTP) is is completely out of society. A nomad who does not support authority and who improvises with his environment. When Dexter is highly planned and systematic.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts