Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello pplz. *waves* Anyway, the whole reason I joined PersonalityCafe was to find out my personality type. I've taken tests, and I've scored as INFJ most of the time. (I've gotten only one other type, and that's INFP.) Not sure if that's a true fit, though. I wonder if I may be deluding myself. The way I could be answering on these things may not be reflective of the real me, but of an idealized me. Is this who I am, or who I want to be? Help me figure this out.

First off, I am a clear-cut feeler. I don't like hurting people, I don't take criticism well, I beat myself up over things that may not even be my fault, etc. Not sure if I'm more Fi or Fe, so this may be a key.

Introversion vs. Extroversion: I once thought that I was definitely an introvert, but now I have second thoughts. I don't get out much, but that's partially because I'm currently trying to learn how to drive. Thus, I'm not sure if being around people really "drains" me. The only thing that may be a clue is going to a party with my grandmother after my grandfather's funeral. I didn't want to go, but I did anyway to be polite. In this case, I'm not sure whether it had to do with introversion or the fact that I would have to face my annoying younger cousins/wanted to watch a certain show at 11 p.m. without interference. :tongue: Anyway, I'm pretty content staying at home and surfing the web. I don't feel a desire to constantly be around people...yet I've been told that I can be quite chatty. I have talked to random strangers before, but me doing so is pretty rare. I don't like doing business over the phone. In fact, I dread it. Yet, when I force myself to do it, I get through it without a hitch. Perhaps I have high reserves since I don't get out much? Or maybe the experience of constantly being on hold was annoying? *shrugs* In addition, I like to think that I think before I act, but I'm not so sure if that's the case. Also, is it an introverted trait to dislike being bothered when doing something important? If it is, then I'm most certainly an introvert!

Intuition vs. Sensing: Here's something that really confuzzles me. They say intuitors are creative and whatnot. But...I don't know if I'm really that creative. I enjoy theory and fantasy immensely, yet when it comes to theories, I don't want to just accept a theory without evidence. Well, I take that back. If it is scientific in nature, I want evidence. But if it's a philosophical idea, I allow a lot more leeway. When it comes to brewing theories of my own, I'm not sure whether I'm as capable as I think I am. Sometimes I feel as if I'm simply copying ideas. Sometimes I wonder if I'm truly capable of coming up with ideas. Is this a lack of confidence or a lack of aptitude? In addition, I do take detailed notes in class...but I don't particularly like doing so. I do it for fear of missing something that may be on the test. I dislike memorizing facts. I also dislike more abstract questions that have no right or wrong answer...because I'm afraid that whatever I put would be wrong. And I hate tricky multiple choice questions where two choices sound right and I don't which one. If I were a college professor, I wouldn't have any tests at all-we'd just have fun discussing the subject. :proud: Too bad I'd never get away with it.

Speaking of college, it seems like I was the only person in my philosophy course that enjoyed it. And I was the only person in English Literature that actually enjoyed discussing the stories. What does that say about me? :tongue:

Also, they say intuitors are future-oriented...and that INFJs are supposedly "psychics" or "prophetic." I'm not sure how future-oriented I am, but I don't feel psychic or prophetic. Probably just hyperbolic myth...but still. As for being future-oriented...thinking about the future stresses me out. I'm afraid of what could go wrong. Is this just feeling getting into the picture?

So what's the verdict here? Am I an intuitor who lacks confidence or sensor with developed intuition? Or am I some sort of uber-hybrid? :crazy:

Judging vs. Perceiving: I like having closure in my decisions...but I'm also indecisive as all get out. (Really, try going shopping with me without getting annoyed. And it took FOREVER for me to come up with a username. :tongue:) I'm also not very organized...or perhaps it's a chaotic organization. I don't know. They also say judgers like making schedules and stuff. I don't. Schedules make me feel as if I'm timed to do a task, and I'm often a bad judge as to how long it would take for me to do stuff. But...does wanting closure override all these P traits?

Wow, didn't think it would get this long. Sorry 'bout that. So...WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM?!?!?!

Simon: You're not Kamina.
Me: *sulks*

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
That read as a happy EXFP, I would lead towards sensing (due to ratios and writing style). Whether Ne likes it or not, it likes to metaphor and flop around.

I would say Ne speaks slower, Se has a constant stream of thought, it mulls less than Ne.

ESFP.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That read as a happy EXFP, I would lead towards sensing (due to ratios and writing style). Whether Ne likes it or not, it likes to metaphor and flop around.

I would say Ne speaks slower, Se has a constant stream of thought, it mulls less than Ne.

ESFP.
Well...it did take me a while to post this, if that's any indication. It's not as if I just spewed that immediately. I went back and changed stuff over and over. Also, I was thinking "Should I make separate paragraphs out of this?" and "Will people think this looks all cluttered and unrelated?" Finally I thought "Screw it." And the only time I've been a fast talker is when I'm nervous. I suppose I speak at a normal rate most of the time...I think.

...How do you determine types by writing style? I'd like to know. ^_^

Edit: I've already edited this post several times. This time I'm editing it just to tell you how much I edit. :tongue:
Edit 2: Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm suffering from depression and I have suicidal thoughts. I'm a horrible perfectionist when it comes to school. All of my life, I've been told that I'm quite intelligent. I've always done well in school. Now, I know that no function is supposed to be superior, but it seems that the intuitors are stereotypically viewed as "smarter." I looked at a thread in the ESFP forum where people shared their views of ESFPs. One post said that they're "not too bright" and another described them as "shallow." My heart sunk. I'm very insecure in my identity, especially when it comes to my intelligence. It was really the only thing that anyone ever singled me out for. I based-and continue to base-my self-worth on my intelligence. ...I came here so people could help me understand who I truly am. I know that you were trying to help, so don't feel bad...but I'm fighting tears at the time I'm editing this.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Maybe ISFP. But I'm not sure, you may not be:D

Needing evidence for a scientific theory may point to Te because it's a logic based on the external world. Ti or Fi don't mind too much about a lack of evidence as long as it fits in with already defined ideas - Ti more about logical ideas, Fi more about ethical and values-related ideas. Maybe philosophical ideas have more to do with people and feelings so that is why you don't need evidence there since you judge with Fi?

The lack of 'creativity' may be because ISFPs have tertiary intuition which is less developed when they are younger. When they have used Se more to take in more experiences, it is easier to use Ni to look at ideas in different ways and say 'yes, this reminds me of that elephant I saw yesterday'. Also maybe the future stresses you out, since your Ni is not yet well developed and Se just likes to react to things in the present moment. Maybe analysing stories in english uses Ni/Fi - too see hidden meanings and connections about people and stuff.

J means that when making a decision you prefer using Fe or Te instead of Fi or Ti. This doesn't mean that a P person won't ever do J like things. They generally prefer not to do them, but as they get older and develop their tertiary or inferior Fe/Te by using Se/Ne more they are able to do J things more easily.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Maybe ISFP. But I'm not sure, you may not be:D

Needing evidence for a scientific theory may point to Te because it's a logic based on the external world. Ti or Fi don't mind too much about a lack of evidence as long as it fits in with already defined ideas - Ti more about logical ideas, Fi more about ethical and values-related ideas. Maybe philosophical ideas have more to do with people and feelings so that is why you don't need evidence there since you judge with Fi?

The lack of 'creativity' may be because ISFPs have tertiary intuition which is less developed when they are younger. When they have used Se more to take in more experiences, it is easier to use Ni to look at ideas in different ways and say 'yes, this reminds me of that elephant I saw yesterday'. Also maybe the future stresses you out, since your Ni is not yet well developed and Se just likes to react to things in the present moment. Maybe analysing stories in english uses Ni/Fi - too see hidden meanings and connections about people and stuff.

J means that when making a decision you prefer using Fe or Te instead of Fi or Ti. This doesn't mean that a P person won't ever do J like things. They generally prefer not to do them, but as they get older and develop their tertiary or inferior Fe/Te by using Se/Ne more they are able to do J things more easily.
Well, ISFPs are supposedly good with the visual arts or music. I royally suck at drawing, and I don't think I have an aptitude for music either. That's likely just a stereotype, but perhaps it may disqualify me. I'm still confused with the J/P thing, since I like having everything decided, but I can't make up my mind on a freakin' thing...and it stresses me out. I actually feel better when making a decision. And in actuality, I never paid much attention to whether or not I live in the present or the future, and when it comes to deciding whether or not I'm intuitor or a sensor, I feel like I'm lying to myself. I think part of me *wants* to be an intuitor, but fears being a sensor. My creativity may feel lacking to me, but could that have to do with a lack of confidence in myself? I mean, no one on this forum has ever met me personally. (Hell, I just joined two days ago. :tongue:) People in real life may think I'm super creative. If it's any consolation, I think facts aren't as interesting as ideas.

I made a thread on another forum (Gaia, to be exact) where I discuss my "identity-crisis" a little bit. I'll make a couple of more posts so I can put it here.

Edit: Here's the link. It starts off talking about whether or not I'm a narcissist and gets derailed into discussing how people define themselves. Feel free to just skim over the narcissism stuff. Have fun, and note my Lala-Ru (a character from the anime Now and Then, Here and There) cosplay.

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
Never, and I mean never, go by stereotypes.

"XXXX's are supposed to...." Probably the worst thing to assume in typing, holding oneself against a negative ideal of a type only harms.

Writing styles, I type by functions.

Se is a steady (sometimes manic), straight line of thoughts. You can usually tell when they change what they are thinking about in writing.

Ne is a flowing (also sometimes manic), relating and associating machine. It's not as "heavy" as the introverted functions come as, but it likes to metaphor, and combine many separate chains.

Te is a point by point, easy to understand style. It's concise and clear, it's cleaned up by a "general" type of logic. It's a straight shooter.

Fe relates to values in writing, you'll see a lot of talk about people how they are, how they feel. "Universal" right and wrongs.

Fi is an internal value system, it's a "heavy" function. How you relate to something, how it affects you, how you take things.

Ti is a heavy logic system, it makes less obvious sense than a Te user does, but it's well thought out. Ti users ramble as they just continually think, improving and building.

Si can appear similar to Fi in writing, it's usually personal and clear cut. It makes sense, as a relating function. Easy to read, heavy though.

and Ni, it's a heavy function. A murky symbolism comes from them, also keen on metaphor and flowing. It's personal and less "expansive" than Ne, but it's clearer and usually looks further.

Generally I see Introverts having a heavier way in writing, Extroverts are a softer, and faster of writing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I get INFP feelings... You seem to be very thorough and from your introduction thread I picked up the same feeling of INFP. INFP and INFJ are also easily confused. Sorry if I'm not making sense, my brain is not working properly today...

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Lemme fix your brain...

I get INFP feelings... You seem to be very thorough and from your introduction thread I picked up the same feeling of INFP. INFP and INFJ are also easily confused. Sorry if I'm not making sense, my brain is not working properly today...
*smacks head* Does that help? :crazy:

@Scruffy-Do you see the same patterns in my Gaia thread? Also...I can't stop staring at your avatar. Are you a sadist/masochist? :tongue:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The vel test (having more trouble distinguishing second and third function than first and fourth) suggests dominant F.

=> ExFJ or IxFP

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The vel test (having more trouble distinguishing second and third function than first and fourth) suggests dominant F.

=> ExFJ or IxFP
Ah, but am I more Fi or Fe? Therein lies the conundrum.

Dang, I got so many different responses...

·
Old Man
2,834 Posts
I still see an Se-Fi vibe from your other postings.

ESFP with an off chance (for me) of ENFP. Don't go by the stereotypes again, it's about the functions you live by, not actions you take.

Naw, avatar is an interesting torture device. The sketching of it is nice, and I enjoy the symbolism of the "Heretic's Fork".

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I don't trust myself...:crying:...:tongue: For the record, I've read a little about functions, but I could never pinpoint anything for sure. So I'll just type out my ideas.

I consider myself someone with strong values, but I'm not sure if it comes from a cultural consensus or a personal sense of ethics. That said, I believe Te may be my inferior or tertiary function (depending on whether I'm EXFP or IXFP), since I do think that facts are best affirmed by consensus. (Maybe that's what I'm doing now: trying to get an objective POV.)

Fe-Te doesn't make sense though. When thinking about this, I recalled an incident from a trip to King's Island. A friend and I were standing in line for a ride. A veeeeerrrrry long line. Said friend saw another friend further up in the line, and wanted to get with him. She wanted me to cut the line, but I refused. She justified herself by saying that everyone else does it. I still didn't cut the line, because A) I felt that it was wrong and unfair, and B) (Not as importantly) It would be about my luck that I would get caught. Does this sound Fi?

Also, despite Scruffy's assertions, I don't believe I'm Se. Looking at the description for Se...

Intro to Function Theory Thread said:
Se, or extroverted Sensing, is dominant for ESxP, secondary for ISxP, tertiary for ENxJ and inferior for INxJ. It is the attitude that what is directly apparent in our immediate physical surroundings is the most important thing to go by. Se leads you to follow your gut instincts, pay very close attention to what's going on around you, and respond to things in the moment in whatever way will make the strongest and most immediate guttural, sensory impact on others. Se users are so present-focused that they're often on the cutting edge of new trends because they place so much emphasis on what is current and new. No...just no. I'm almost always the last one to find out about new trends. I never really gave a crap about them. They like to learn things via a hands-on, figure-it-out-by-experimenting-as-you-go, direct experiential approach (in this way they are similar to Ne) but they are more focused on what is immediately tangible than on what their surroundings might be changed into. They usually pay a lot of attention to their physical appearance and are very good with reading body language and using it to immediately size up a person or a situation and respond instinctively. Not sure about the body language part, but I only care about my physical appearance to the degree of personal hygiene and wearing clothes that don't look idiotic. I'm no fashion slave. In fact, I think a lot of things that are "fashionable" look idiotic to me. For instance, while watching Project Runway, some of the things the judges liked looked wacky to me. In addition, I've only worn makeup perhaps two or three times in my entire life. Makeup is too time consuming, and I personally think I look fine without it. They can be quite impulsive and prone to overindulgence in sensory pleasures, but they also know how to work a crowd and they tend to make themselves into reflections of current popular trends--whatever will make an impact. Wait, what? Me work a crowd? :laughing: I was never in the "in-crowd" back in high school. I couldn't set a trend if my life depended on it.
I think Si fits me more. I don't want to quote a huge chunk of text again, so I'll just summarize my general impression of Si. Si deals with experiences stored in memory. I recall myself using this process several times when I'm at a store. I'd see something that reminds me of a certain product, go up and look at it, only to be disappointed that it wasn't what I thought it was. For instance, I would see something with a bright color scheme, think it was some sort of toy, only to find out that it wasn't. Is this tertiary/inferior Si? In addition, I subscribe to the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy. However, if it is broken...you sure as hell better fix it. :tongue:

As for Ne...perhaps the reason I stated that I dislike abstract questions has to do with verifying my ideas. According to the functions thread, Ne requires outside verification. Perhaps my Fi feels threatened if someone thinks my ideas are wrong? After all, I've lurked in debate threads in various forums, but rarely joined in myself out of fear that others would think I was stupid.

Please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Oh, and thanks for the link. ^_^

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I consider myself someone with strong values, but I'm not sure if it comes from a cultural consensus or a personal sense of ethics.
Likely Fi anyway, I'd say... But could be any Introverted function, depending on the content of the values.

That said, I believe Te may be my inferior or tertiary function (depending on whether I'm EXFP or IXFP), since I do think that facts are best affirmed by consensus. (Maybe that's what I'm doing now: trying to get an objective POV.)
Te can combine with Fi, Ti won't.

Fe-Te doesn't make sense though. When thinking about this, I recalled an incident from a trip to King's Island. A friend and I were standing in line for a ride. A veeeeerrrrry long line. Said friend saw another friend further up in the line, and wanted to get with him. She wanted me to cut the line, but I refused. She justified herself by saying that everyone else does it. I still didn't cut the line, because A) I felt that it was wrong and unfair, and B) (Not as importantly) It would be about my luck that I would get caught. Does this sound Fi?
A) sounds Fi to me. But you could probably clarify this by elaborating on more precisely why you felt it was wrong.
Also, do you rather judge others on their performance and yourself on moral standards, or the other way round?

I think Si fits me more. I don't want to quote a huge chunk of text again, so I'll just summarize my general impression of Si. Si deals with experiences stored in memory. I recall myself using this process several times when I'm at a store. I'd see something that reminds me of a certain product, go up and look at it, only to be disappointed that it wasn't what I thought it was. For instance, I would see something with a bright color scheme, think it was some sort of toy, only to find out that it wasn't. Is this tertiary/inferior Si? In addition, I subscribe to the "If it's not broken, don't fix it" philosophy. However, if it is broken...you sure as hell better fix it. :tongue:
More Si than Se, yes! To dig deeper: What would constitute "broken"? Do you get sentimental? Do you have flashbacks?

As for Ne...perhaps the reason I stated that I dislike abstract questions has to do with verifying my ideas. According to the functions thread, Ne requires outside verification. Perhaps my Fi feels threatened if someone thinks my ideas are wrong? After all, I've lurked in debate threads in various forums, but rarely joined in myself out of fear that others would think I was stupid.
Yes, Ne could be a good fit in my opinion.

All in all, Fi+Te+Si+Ne seems not unlikely. This fits only with xSTJ and xNFP. I think you know which of the two you're more likely to type as...

Please, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Oh, and thanks for the link. ^_^
You're welcome! :happy:

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think Si fits me more. I don't want to quote a huge chunk of text again, so I'll just summarize my general impression of Si. Si deals with experiences stored in memory. I recall myself using this process several times when I'm at a store. I'd see something that reminds me of a certain product, go up and look at it, only to be disappointed that it wasn't what I thought it was. For instance, I would see something with a bright color scheme, think it was some sort of toy, only to find out that it wasn't. Is this tertiary/inferior Si?
It could also be (tertiary?) Ni which also deals with stored memories but the memories stored are less about details but about how things relate to each other like thinking bright colours are related to toys because you've seen bright coloured toys in the past. I suppose it could be also Ne thinking that bright colours could be a toy - ie imagining possibilities.

Reactions: penchant

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If you are having trouble with debating over Fi and Fe, then ask yourself, how do I use thinking functions? If you tend to show impersonal analysis more often than trying to understand the logic of something yourself, chances are you are an Fi user.

Likewise, with Ni and Ne. Ne requires an anchor (aka Si) no matter how much you use it. Perhaps not a limiting anchor, but something that gives you principles for direction when plunging into interpreting something.

Ni's so-called foresights (I don't know what to call it since I believe I'm not a big Ni person) would turn you into a paranoid person, Se is a good feedback for those foresights. For the stronger Se users like ISFPs and ESTPs, it is their eyes and ears for verification since their foresights are more immature.

I have an XSFP roommate who actually has these strange beliefs of the future such has just knowing exactly when he will die and when he and his girlfriend will break up. They are only a very minor thing he thinks about though.

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Just when I thought I had it all figured out...:tongue: I will take the chance to say that I love the multi-quote option in this forum. Makes things a lot easier. ^_^

A) sounds Fi to me. But you could probably clarify this by elaborating on more precisely why you felt it was wrong.
Also, do you rather judge others on their performance and yourself on moral standards, or the other way round?
Well, like I said, I thought it wouldn't be fair to those who were waiting so long for the ride. I know if I were close to getting on a ride and someone were to cut in front of me and that action were to result in the ride's capacity to fill, I wouldn't like it one bit. I suppose referring to my feelings would be Fi at work, correct? As for judging others, I'm easier on other people performance-wise than I am on myself, and I judge both myself and others by moral standards. Or at least I like to think that I judge myself on my standards, anyway. Also, would an Fi dominant shut down completely when stressed? My brain simply does not work when I'm stressed, as I'm too focused on what's bothering me.

More Si than Se, yes! To dig deeper: What would constitute "broken"? Do you get sentimental? Do you have flashbacks?
To me, "broken" means that something simply doesn't work well or worse, something that is actually detrimental, whether it be something physical or abstract. And yes, I do get sentimental. As for having flashbacks, I do have a tendency to say "That reminds me of the time..." occasionally. In addition to this, another possible tertiary/inferior Si trait of mine is the ability to memorize things for tests...and quickly forget them afterwards. :tongue: It helps me to group things or make associations. For instance, in History of Rock and Roll, we had to memorize a bunch of things about record labels, including the owner, the label's headquarters, and artists who recorded for that label. In some cases, I would notice that a lot of bands/artists listed for a particular label started with the same letter, and I would group them that way. And I remembered that Charles Brown recorded for Aladdin Records since Charlie Brown and Aladdin were both cartoons. (I don't remember that now though-I had to wiki it. In fact, the only thing I could tell you is that Elvis was born in Tupelo, Mississippi and that he first recorded for Sun. Yeah, the professor was an Elvis fan. :tongue:) However, as pc3000 pointed out, this could be Ni too.

Yes, Ne could be a good fit in my opinion.
What in particular about me strikes you as Ne? Other than me mentioning that I like fantasy and theories? Also, would a dominant/auxiliary Ne-user have trouble with multiple choice tests that have questions where two answer choices sound correct? Ne deals with seeing many possibilities, after all.
It could also be (tertiary?) Ni which also deals with stored memories but the memories stored are less about details but about how things relate to each other like thinking bright colours are related to toys because you've seen bright coloured toys in the past. I suppose it could be also Ne thinking that bright colours could be a toy - ie imagining possibilities.
This also sounds plausible. Here's something that could possibly be tertiary Ni: A while after I made my last post, I imagined that Scruffy would post and point out that I conveniently didn't comment on some of the aspects of Se. I then imagined myself getting defensive and saying that I wasn't for sure if those aspects fit me or not, so I didn't say anything. Don't take this the wrong way, Scruffy. I think you're an okay guy. :tongue:
If you are having trouble with debating over Fi and Fe, then ask yourself, how do I use thinking functions? If you tend to show impersonal analysis more often than trying to understand the logic of something yourself, chances are you are an Fi user.
I'm not sure about this. I like to think I'm objective and don't let my personal opinions get in the way, but I don't know for sure...

I have an XSFP roommate who actually has these strange beliefs of the future such has just knowing exactly when he will die and when he and his girlfriend will break up. They are only a very minor thing he thinks about though.
I don't believe I'm like that. I've had moments where I would think "I just thought about X. What if X actually happened?" but I don't believe I've carried it farther than that.
Let's look at the tally, shall we?

Scruffy thinks I'm EXFP (leaning toward ESFP).
pc3000 thinks I'm ISFP.
penchant thinks I'm INFP.
marked174 thinks I'm INFJ.

Conclusion: Angelic Gardevoir is a freak of nature. :crazy:

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You talk too much. I think ESFX. ESFJ seems quite possible too.
And now somebody thinks I'm ESFX. :laughing: The only constant is that I'm a feeler.

Talking too much? Perhaps being online loosens me up? I'm still debating on whether or not I'm an introvert or an extrovert. I've been told that I can be chatty, but I've been wondering whether or not my chattiness results from me being comfortable with the people I'm talking to or whether it's just a natural tendency for me to talk. I can clam up if I'm not comfortable with the situation, but perhaps that applies to everyone. Wait...I'm rambling again, aren't I? @[email protected]

1 - 20 of 68 Posts