Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Doesn't make us any wiser, does it? ;)

It is something I frequently think about. I'm still in my 30s (just), and occasionally, I feel a bit broody. And then I think about the risks, about what I'd need to give up etc. Only to feel even more confused, because I know that time's running out, and I sometimes wonder if I will regret not having children. Having said that, I always think that if one can't really answer the question "Do you want a child?" with "Yes" and has too many doubts, it's better to leave it. It's simply too big a responsibility to take it lightly, and I lead a very bohemian life.

Physiologically, I'm 100% past the "best age" to have a baby. That's simply undeniable, and the fact that people usually think I'm a lot younger doesn't change my inner workings, so to speak. Emotionally, it's a different story of course, and maturity-wise, some of us might have an edge. Someone quite close to me told me once they think that the people who'd probably make the best and most responsible parents often have the most doubts and therefore stay childless, or procrastinate for too long. Maybe I'm one of them. Or maybe I'm really just selfish and cowardly ;)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Never seems like a good age for having a baby. That really works for me.

I'm in my early 30s and fertility goes early in my family. I've got maybe 4 or 5 years of baby-making ability left at the most. There is no ticking clock, there is no nesting instinct.

I can't point to a time when I can say that I have ever wanted a child. There have been a few occasions where I have tried to talk myself into the idea, but it always just felt wrong. It's just such a huge commitment and sacrifice to raise a child - that's not something that a person should take on unless they really want to.

·
Registered
6,249 Posts
If someone wants children, its probably best in their early twenties. Reasoning:

1/ less chance of age-related problems (downs syndrome, etc)

2/ more energy to look after the children

3/ once you hit 40 and they're out of the house, you can then enjoy the home and life that you and your partner have built

Most people aren't really gonna want to have children just leaving the nest when they're sixty-plus. Kids take energy, which you have less of in the 50's-60's - unless you're that rare person who is very energetic.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If someone wants children, its probably best in their early twenties. Reasoning:

1/ less chance of age-related problems (downs syndrome, etc)

2/ more energy to look after the children

3/ once you hit 40 and they're out of the house, you can then enjoy the home and life that you and your partner have built

Most people aren't really gonna want to have children just leaving the nest when they're sixty-plus. Kids take energy, which you have less of in the 50's-60's - unless you're that rare person who is very energetic.
+1 (Totally, agree)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts