Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Not yet. I've been recovering from a shoulder issue that's taken about a year to improve (got it right as I was looking at various programs).

I'd like to ease into either jiu jitsu or boxing in 2018.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
Been in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu since February and I love it. Hoping to compete in a tournament sometime next year.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
Been into matial arts for 6 years. Now I had to stop due to work, but plan on going on BJJ when I get the time for it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Coburn
Shoulder issues must suck. I had 2 guys at my gym telling about issues they have and/or had with their shoulder. I'm glad it's improving.

@King Wenceslas
I beat competitions are fun. I went to Legacy Fighting Alliance 28 last saturday and the amateur fights were very entertaining. It made my friend want to jump back into martial arts

I started doing Muay Thai in mid October and since it's just about mid December I'm almost at the 2 month mark. I'm on class #27 hoping today will be class #28 so I can try out my Hayabusa shin guards that came in yesterday. Before I came to my current gym back in like 2012 I was in another place that specialized in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai classes available. That place was primarily for MMA and taught me a few take downs and hyper extensions I've know forgotten lol

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I practiced the Jidokwan style of Taekwondo from 1990 to 1993. First thing in my life I was ever any good at. Earned my First-Degree Black Belt when I was 13, becoming a Kyosanim.

Reactions: ai.tran.75

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Went to Chois Taekwondo- from 91-98 , got my black belt in 97( I was turning eleven ) Currently taking karate (shotokan) blue belt

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Judson Joist

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
I used to do martial arts. Made it to fourth section out of six being a black belt before I had kids and moved away. Have taken some tae kwon doe, taichi and qigong classes since then but nothing intensive like the classes i used to take. Now i don't because where i live now has crap for classes that i'm interested in, plus they are really expensive, but my bf is really into jkd and kali/silat so I spar with him a bit and we do drills all the time together. it's pretty fun cause he teaches me new self-defense moves when we do it.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I did when I was younger.

I actually worked my way up to black belt in taekwondo back then; to be honest I don't remember a whole lot, but it's been a while so that figures. I found martial arts to be a great form of exercise while also being extremely mentally stimulating, especially when sparring! I wouldn't mind going back someday.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I took karate lessons years ago when my son took lessons. Ultimately, I decided that it requires a somewhat paranoid mindset to justify the time and effort put into it. Most people who attack have weapons (usually a gun) so learning martial arts seems kind of pointless unless you just like doing it for exercise.

·
Registered
ISFJ
5,197 Posts
I took karate lessons years ago when my son took lessons. Ultimately, I decided that it requires a somewhat paranoid mindset to justify the time and effort put into it. Most people who attack have weapons (usually a gun) so learning martial arts seems kind of pointless unless you just like doing it for exercise.
they do have gun disarming techniques and stuff. how to fight against a knife wielding maniac and so forth. dealing with weapons is usually more advanced martial arts.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...or some people are learning martial arts to become an amateur fighter, work their way to becoming a professional hoping to get sponsored and, if they are extremely lucky, make it to the UFC? Just a thought (I'm not saying this to be a dick btw, I'm being honest.) If prostitution is the world's oldest profession then watching to people beat the crap out of each other (aka martial arts) has to be one of the oldest forms of entertainment.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
...or some people are learning martial arts to become an amateur fighter, work their way to becoming a professional hoping to get sponsored and, if they are extremely lucky, make it to the UFC? Just a thought (I'm not saying this to be a dick btw, I'm being honest.)
I see.... doing it at a professional level could be good for those who enjoy it.

If prostitution is the world's oldest profession then watching to people beat the crap out of each other (aka martial arts) has to be one of the oldest forms of entertainment.
People have been committing murder since the beginning of human existence, as well, but that doesn't make it a good thing to do.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Intricate Mystic

...except martial arts isn't like committing a murder. Yeah it can be violent. Yeah people get can hurt. Yeah people can even die if something goes wrong. However the intent is not hate or malice. It's in the spirit of competition. though. Martial Artists are competitors just trying to win no different from running track or playing football. Except "winning" is defeating the opponent in combat and not running a faster time or scoring more points. In this case I would say martial arts is a great thing to do. Even the "macdojos" just after your money for belt tests to an extent.

On the individual level martial arts give an experience similar to sports. You have to socially interact with people, learn proper hygiene aka WASH YO ASS, etc. Builds confidence which is important when people suffer from self esteem issues. Reinforces an important life lesson to those who are new and/or suck to never give up and keep striving to improve. Best of all it gets people off their ass in an age when people aren't very active if it ain't a phone or laptop.

On the social level martial arts gets many people involved and helps businesses. Businesses make the gloves, shin guards, punching mits, etc. The production of that fighting equipment makes jobs. On a smaller level where you train at is like "your gym" so they might make t-shirts, hoodies, etc. with the gym name. Going to the same gym is similar to being a fan of the same sports team. Easy way to make friends instead of hitting a "friend request" button. Martial art gyms have the potential of being a supplement to family potentially giving a person a place to belong, siblings to look after and/or take care of, etc. Likely plenty of positive male and female role models.

TL;DR: Yeah a gun will win 9/10 but martial arts are awesome and far from pointless. The time and effort spent is either seeking personal improvement, enjoying the overall "atmosphere" at your gym or a combination of both. That and if you have a gun and know martial arts the other person is at a disadvantage.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I used to love the martial arts
Brown belt aikido
Orange belt Spirit combat/Jujitsu with Soke Brian Dossett
Purple belt Heian Godan JKA UK shotokan Sensei Enoeda
Taught ladies self defence for some time
Tried White crane fist Kung-Fu for a short time.
Long term shoulder injury prevents me from training.
It took 2 years of physiotherapy to get my shoulder moving again.
Injury caused by lifting a heavy shopping bag full of vegetables from the back seat of the car

·
Registered
31 Posts
Martial arts isn't just beating people up. You can learn self-defense, self-discipline, respect for others, teamwork, etc. I've thought about taking classes, but haven't yet. My ISTP brother does. He's more the athlete in the family.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
No. I do my pushups, tricep dips, sometimes pullups, and practice body blows, combinations, crosses, straight punches on a makeshit heavy bag at home. Footwork at all times, balance, light on the feet. No roadwork.

When I can, just bareknuckle sparring with a buddy, just outside at our condo's clubhouse, sort of pulling punches to the face, but always some real whoppers of bruises all over the place on the body. That's not official rules boxing, more like using elbows, trying to scrape down with the knuckles to mash the muscle down against the bone. Just basic fun. Surprisingly good cardio workout, staying on your feet, hustling.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm keen to learn jiu-jitsu. I've got a friend who does it and it was great for him. I hear from lots of sources that taking up a martial art can be really enriching for people, so I'm keen to see all the benefits myself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts