·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prerequisites
What age range are you in?

I'm 16
Any disorders or conditions we should know about?
None diagnosed

Main Questions
1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.

What's my life about? It's not a story... I'm not really a very driven person. My main goal is to have fun, and that's less of an overarching theme than a load of smaller and more spontaneous decisions.

2. What were you like as a kid?
I still am a kid. I guess when I was much younger I was pretty outgoing and kinda domineering, lol. But that faded fast and it's now at the exact opposite extreme. I've always been pretty curious about the world and my imagination was quite awesome. I've always been quite self-sufficient and independent too.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted?
My parents are nice people but they're way too traditional. Most conflicts I have with them nowadays are about their predetermined ideas on how I should be doing things and their assumption that I still need my hand held. They're overly concerned with holding up appearances. I get on with my dad better than my mum because we have a similar sense of humour.

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being?
I never want to be stuck in a way of thinking. I want to remain impartial when my friends get in arguments so I'm not forced to choose between them. I think it's important to keep an open mind to ways of thinking that might not make sense to you but probably do to whoever you're talking to. And it's also important to take everything with a pinch of salt and not get offended or hurt too easily.

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood? Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?
I have no phobias. In terms of other fears, rejection is probably one of them. I was bullied for about three years aged 8-11, and I got scared of standing out and being too smart for my own good. I've got much better at this recently and I'm very happy where I am now, but I spent a couple of years just trying to fit it at my new school. I took GCSE drama for no other reason than it sounded fun and I was rubbish at drama, and I know this sounds clichéd, but it's definitely helped me improve my self-confidence because you don't have a choice but to put yourself out there. I still have a kind of social paranoia, and I'm not quick to go out and make friends, but I'm much more confident and satisfied than I used to be.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?
I'm laid back and good at thinking about things from lots of angles. I don't get stressed at all, and I maintain a sense of perspective when looking at a problem. I'm disorganised but that's because I'm doing just fine like this, without having to put in the effort of being organised. My humour is sarcastic and cynical, and I stroll through life without taking it seriously. I like to keep things lighthearted and not think too deeply about philosophical stuff because that gets you nowhere but thinking in circles, which is pretty pointless. I have a couple of weird stances on things too.

b.) How do you want others to see you?
Like water rolls off my back and I wander through life being secretly brilliant but not caring about it, or anything else for that matter. I project an aura of not caring, and distinguish between how well people know me by whether they recognise that my indifference on certain things is feigned a lot of the time. For example, I'll tell people I forgot my test results when they ask, and if they recognise that I do remember but am not saying because I have a reputation to maintain and can't be bothered to take part in whatever discussion would follow an actual response, they know me pretty well and I'm not fooling them. Which is how I filter out the true friends who actually pay attention to me >:)

c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?
Stubbornness, inability to switch perspectives, insistence on unnecessary deadlines and insistence that I must have an opinion on everything.

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).
a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others.

b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else.

8. Where does the wandering mind take you? What provokes this?
My wandering mind normally takes me to whatever's going on in my life. I mean, I try to stay busy enough that I'm always focussed on at least one of the many tasks at hand. Too much internal debate ends up going in circles and therefore being pointless.

9.What makes you feel your best? What makes you feel your worst?
I feel my best when I'm having fun with people, usually doing some kind of activity rather than having a conversation. Crisis management is also really fun - I like working behind the scenes on someone else's brainchild, letting them take charge while making sure everything doesn't fall apart in their wake. I feel my worst when I'm forced to do stuff I don't want to, or I get stuck in a routine where there's no pressure and it becomes too monotonous.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:
a.) anger

I only really get angry when people are stupid. If they're totally convinced that their viewpoint is the only one and everyone else needs to think the same way, I get very irritated very quickly. I'll usually react by trying to explain exactly why they're being stupid, and if that doesn't work I'll probably swear at them, walk out and come back later having found an alternative way of doing things or some kind of compromise for them.
b.) shame
I feel shame if I let someone I like down, and I'll usually respond by trying to make light of the situation or by changing the subject entirely. Yay avoidance.
c.) anxiety
I don't get anxious. Exams and stuff like that do not bother me, and I usually go about solving any tangible problems in a calm manner. I get more anxious over emotions when other people are arguing and I can't step in or they'll just get mad at me too.

11. Describe how you respond to the following:
a.) stress

Stress is not a thing I do at all. I'm miraculously unstressed. It's a genuine problem for me. In the rare event that I do get stressed, I'll probably push people away and always act too busy to talk to anyone until whatever's stressing me sorts itself out.
b.) negative unexpected change
I'm generally pretty quick to react to this kind of thing and try to find a way to solve whatever's come up. I don't get upset over it, I'll just look for the easiest solution and keep an eye on anyone else who might be affected more strongly than me.
c.) conflict
If I conflict with someone while in the middle of a task I'll generally grit my teeth and find a compromise, or just give up and let them sort themselves out. If I conflict with someone in conversation or whatever, I'll argue my point until I can see it's futile, in which case I'll stop responding and move on. When other people are conflicting around me I will often act as a go-between because most conflicts are a case of people misunderstanding each other, and that's much easier to sort out using an entirely neutral translator.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group? Why?
Normally some kind of facilitator, whether that's troubleshooting raw ideas to put them into practice, or running around behind the scenes to fix anything that goes wrong. I don't want the spotlight and I'm good at adapting and thinking on my feet.
b.) If put in power, how do you behave? Why?
I'm normally pretty awkward in power. I'll be constantly trying to get other people's ideas out of them since I'll likely have no strong view myself. Leaders need motivation and conviction, and I normally lack both of those.
c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you? Why?
People in authority have to earn my respect, same as anyone else. Their ideas still have to make sense and they can't tell me to do something and expect their instructions to be followed if they can't give me good reasons for it. If they can then I'll probably do it even if I disagree, but if they're unconvincing I'll just refuse.

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?
I notice when people are bullshitting and when they actually know what they're on about. I can see many non-academic types of intelligence in the people around me and I usually know what people are trying to say even if the language they use obscures the meaning.

14. Comment on your relationship with trust.
Pfft, trust? I trust people if I consider myself to be near the top of their friend list, as it were. If there are people around that I think they like more than me, that's when I'll get edgy and conspiracy-theoristic.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have? Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?
I'm an agnostic anti-theist who is probably atheistic by technicalities but who rejects the title because I like to be different :cool: There may well be a God, there may well be multiple gods, but there's no way we can know for certain and humanity are definitely better off not knowing, because confirmation of any one religion will mean the destruction of so many other ways of life. I don't believe people should be using a religious system to remind them to be a decent human being; 'thou shalt not kill' is a pretty obvious statement and people shouldn't need to rely on a belief system to tell them that. I'm completely fine with religious people, it's more the concept of religion itself that I have the issue with. I'm not old enough to vote, and also British, so I won't bother with politics.

Extra Questions

Which of the following temptations do you find yourself acting upon the most? (And briefly state why)

- To constantly push yourself to be “the best”

Pfft, no.
- To be without needs, well-intentioned
Yeah kinda?
- To replace direct experience with concepts
Nah. Other way around.
- To have an extreme sense of personal moral obligation
Nope.
- To think that fulfillment is somewhere else
Fulfillment is bullshit \o/
- To cyclically become indecisive and seek others for reassurance
Yup.
- To overuse imagination in searching for yourself
I'm right here. No searching needed.
- To avoid conflicts and asserting yourself
Yuuup.
- To consider yourself entirely self-sufficient
Far too often.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Hi. I'm napping and will read this later.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Uh, when I said I would help, I thought you just needed like, life advice, not typing advice but I'll give it a shot? I'm really rusty when it comes to this stuff though and I haven't gone anywhere near anything typology related for a while so take what I say with like, a bag of salt.

Ok, so that preamble aside, I see a lot of 9ish things in this, some hints of 7 that might actually be just type 9's lightheartedness rather than the hedonism of a 7? I also see some 6 there too in your relationship to authority. Oh, and nothing here signals one heart type over any other to me so I have no idea about that.... So I'm thinking 9w8 6w7/7w6 ?w? but that's likely off so I'd wait for someone who's more well-versed in this stuff to come along.
Now I remember why I started to steer clear of typings and what not. :tongue:

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uh, when I said I would help, I thought you just needed like, life advice, not typing advice but I'll give it a shot? I'm really rusty when it comes to this stuff though and I haven't gone anywhere near anything typology related for a while so take what I say with like, a bag of salt.

Ok, so that preamble aside, I see a lot of 9ish things in this, some hints of 7 that might actually be just type 9's lightheartedness rather than the hedonism of a 7? I also see some 6 there too in your relationship to authority. Oh, and nothing here signals one heart type over any other to me so I have no idea about that.... So I'm thinking 9w8 6w7/7w6 ?w? but that's likely off so I'd wait for someone who's more well-versed in this stuff to come along.
Now I remember why I started to steer clear of typings and what not. :tongue:
XD nah, life does not need advising at this stage :tongue:
Thanks for those thoughts, too, no matter how unreliable you may claim they are XD

Reactions: Halcyon

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eh, they're probably slightly more reliable than that, so maybe half a bag of salt? 3/4? :tongue:

So you don't deny it? :kitteh:
*takes notes* How big are we talking in terms of bags?

No comment :cool:

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like that question is somehow sexual, but I'm not sure why... *is innocent* :unsure:
I thought that while I was writing it but I couldn't be bothered to reword it :laughing:

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
I'm leaning somewhat more 6w7 over 9w8 but just to see...

4. What values are important to you? What do you hope to avoid doing or being?
I never want to be stuck in a way of thinking. I want to remain impartial when my friends get in arguments so I'm not forced to choose between them.
What is it about choosing between them that bothers you most?

I think it's important to keep an open mind to ways of thinking that might not make sense to you but probably do to whoever you're talking to.
why?

And it's also important to take everything with a pinch of salt and not get offended or hurt too easily.
Again, why?

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm leaning somewhat more 6w7 over 9w8 but just to see...

What is it about choosing between them that bothers you most?

why?

Again, why?
1) Because it inevitably alienates one of them since, even though I have no opinion on the matter, they'll probably think I'm sided against them.
2) Because everybody has valid thoughts and ideas, and you can't discredit them just because you don't understand them.
3) Half the time I see people get offended, it's over completely trivial things or stuff someone's said that was meant in a completely different way. If you go through life getting insulted by every little thing, it's gonna be no fun for you and far too much effort. I find it's much easier to laugh stuff off than being offended.

·
Wielding the mafia banhammer
1,514 Posts
1) Because it inevitably alienates one of them since, even though I have no opinion on the matter, they'll probably think I'm sided against them.
2) Because everybody has valid thoughts and ideas, and you can't discredit them just because you don't understand them.
3) Half the time I see people get offended, it's over completely trivial things or stuff someone's said that was meant in a completely different way. If you go through life getting insulted by every little thing, it's gonna be no fun for you and far too much effort. I find it's much easier to laugh stuff off than being offended.
Okay. :happy:

Sixes usually object because they're uncomfortable with the potential of their friends abandoning them.

Nines usually object to such situations because they're annoyed at being forced to choose, which is a big theme through the rest of the questionnaire. As is the lack of stress, and the desire to be seen as laid back.

OTOH this:
I project an aura of not caring, and distinguish between how well people know me by whether they recognise that my indifference on certain things is feigned a lot of the time. For example, I'll tell people I forgot my test results when they ask, and if they recognise that I do remember but am not saying because I have a reputation to maintain and can't be bothered to take part in whatever discussion would follow an actual response, they know me pretty well and I'm not fooling them. Which is how I filter out the true friends who actually pay attention to me >:)
is terribly reactive and made me laugh.

Kinda more sixish things: linking shame to letting people down, annoyance at thinking in circles (even though I've seen you do it and laugh at yourself for doing so :tongue:), crisis management and troubleshooting.

You don't really seem to have authority issues, not major enough to see at any rate, so Ima go with 9w8 6w7... XwX. That heart fix, I dunno.

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay. :happy:

Sixes usually object because they're uncomfortable with the potential of their friends abandoning them.

Nines usually object to such situations because they're annoyed at being forced to choose, which is a big theme through the rest of the questionnaire. As is the lack of stress, and the desire to be seen as laid back.

OTOH this:
is terribly reactive and made me laugh.

Kinda more sixish things: linking shame to letting people down, annoyance at thinking in circles (even though I've seen you do it and laugh at yourself for doing so :tongue:), crisis management and troubleshooting.

You don't really seem to have authority issues, not major enough to see at any rate, so Ima go with 9w8 6w7... XwX. That heart fix, I dunno.
Thanks, that's really helpful ^^ @Dyslexicon @cue5c I'm waiting :tongue:

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
ENTP 9w1 sx/so
1,369 Posts
Hi, @hawkataine!

Sorry this took to long.

One question, have you ever considered your type to be ESTP over ISTP?

I will say you have pretty obvious 9 fix (likely 9w8) as I suspected. And I also agree that head fix seems to be 6w7 (or possibly 7w6 because of some hedonism/such positive stuff), but I see 6 as most likely cause you do seem pretty aware of being in with people or out with people.

I'm struggling a bit to have an opinion (shocking I know) on what your core might be, but I would not be surprised if you were a 9w8. I see a lot of things that I think of as 9ish that I can relate to. However, the 9/6 as likely first fixes is tricky (right, @Halcyon :tongue:) cause there are some overlaps there.

Do you know what instinctual variant you are?

Image fix is not very apparent, which kind of makes me lean 3, maybe 3w4. You seem very able to adapt, have a kind of natural popularity, and somehow prepared (by not being prepared lol). Don't know if that makes sense, and the image fix is just a wild guess.

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
However, the 9/6 as likely first fixes is tricky (right, @Halcyon :tongue:) cause there are some overlaps there.
For the record, I'm as sure as I'm ever going to be at the moment that I'm just a 9 with a really strong 6 fix. That will probably change by the morning though.

See, this is why I will never get a tattoo. :tongue:

·
Registered
ISTP ∆ 9w8 7w6 3w2
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, @hawkataine!

Sorry this took to long.

One question, have you ever considered your type to be ESTP over ISTP?

I will say you have pretty obvious 9 fix (likely 9w8) as I suspected. And I also agree that head fix seems to be 6w7 (or possibly 7w6 because of some hedonism/such positive stuff), but I see 6 as most likely cause you do seem pretty aware of being in with people or out with people.

I'm struggling a bit to have an opinion (shocking I know) on what your core might be, but I would not be surprised if you were a 9w8. I see a lot of things that I think of as 9ish that I can relate to. However, the 9/6 as likely first fixes is tricky (right, @Halcyon :tongue:) cause there are some overlaps there.

Do you know what instinctual variant you are?

Image fix is not very apparent, which kind of makes me lean 3, maybe 3w4. You seem very able to adapt, have a kind of natural popularity, and somehow prepared (by not being prepared lol). Don't know if that makes sense, and the image fix is just a wild guess.
I love how I just don't have a heart :laughing:
I have considered ESTP, but kinda ditched that idea because Ti, and I don't think I have strong enough Se to be dom-Se. I also talk muuuuuch less in reality than I do on here.
As for enneagram, I know nothing \o/ how does one go about picking an instinctual variant?

Reactions: Dyslexicon

·
Registered
ENTP 9w1 sx/so
1,369 Posts
I love how I just don't have a heart :laughing:
I have considered ESTP, but kinda ditched that idea because Ti, and I don't think I have strong enough Se to be dom-Se. I also talk muuuuuch less in reality than I do on here.
As for enneagram, I know nothing \o/ how does one go about picking an instinctual variant?
If you think 9w8 is a correct typing, this thread would probably be very helpful for that:
http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-f...s-streams-new-descriptions-9w8-stackings.html

A similar thread with the stackings for 9w1 made me figure out my stackings at least.

This thread starts out with a short explanation for the different instincts:
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...-instinctual-variants-sp-sx-so-explained.html

If you ever find yourself in the mood for reading more about instincts, this thread can direct you to good sources:
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...ce-thread-instinctual-variants-stackings.html

If you just want more introspection, there's also a test you can take:
http://personalitycafe.com/enneagra...8-instinctual-variant-test-final-version.html

Personally, I didn't find this test as helpful, because I naturally WIFOM a lot when taking those tests, but I'm sure it can be for other people.

:kitteh:

Reactions: hawkataine
1 - 20 of 25 Posts