Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Hi. It's me again)

...and while everybody was drinking alcohol and socializing. I was sitting on the living room watching TV advertisements and zoned out in my thoughts with my party clothes.

Funny thing is that I don't have anxiety anymore with large groups and my social skills are above average after training them a lot, but at that moment I didn't feel like talking with people and I did what I really wanted and not because of Fear of people, which actually felt quite good.

Some thought I was crazy or something when they saw me watching TV alone, some girls even dragged me and felt pitty for me for being alone which I didnt quite understand.

Anyone feel me? Anyone on similar situation?

·
Registered
257 Posts
People often ask me whats wrong, what happened, can I help etc. I just zone out, most od the time not even conscious of it but they say I have a look on my face that makes them think something is wrong but most of the time I'm 100% fine, I think it's common in intuitives, I just learned to live with it, when I feel the sittuation calls for my attention I just put in some effort and somehow endure the "small talk" : )

·
Registered
146 Posts
It makes sense people would be concerned at a party considering the fact that moat people go to a party to do just that, not what they would be doing in their apartment if they weren't at the party hahaha.

E:
But no, when I'm at social gatherings, I fully emerge myself into the social aspect of it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People often ask me whats wrong, what happened, can I help etc. I just zone out, most od the time not even conscious of it but they say I have a look on my face that makes them think something is wrong but most of the time I'm 100% fine, I think it's common in intuitives, I just learned to live with it, when I feel the sittuation calls for my attention I just put in some effort and somehow endure the "small talk" : )
Man I feel you.

Sometimes my ego makes me feels bad because I think: "Dude, you should be socializing and having fun". But when I look deep into myself I feel like fuck my ego and I'll just do whatever I want, which is to sit alone while everybody is in other room.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always want to sit around talking with some music playing and the TV on mute with the teletext activated. I'm not usually allowed to do this.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If what you want is to chill and watch tv why did you go to a party?
Funny you ask that.

If I'd stay alone at home which would be the alternative plan, I usually go mad and depressed, start eating junk food, become very antisocial.

Thing is I like to be exposed and be in social gatherings even if I'm not actively taking part in those, just my presence is enough to make me feel good. So when in social gatherings (dinner, parties...etc), im usually sometime with the people and then just go outside or alone and have a small smoke or similar and re-engage later.

Wierd shit, if you view it from a 3rd person perspective. But for me is very normal to be like that.

At first, I had strong problems of self-acceptance because this is something not very normal to do, but I think I don't have it anymore.

·
Banned
802 Posts
I don't get why people go to the parties? o_O
Why not do anything else or if you nee people around just ask a friend or two for a bear or a coffee or basically anything? Whhhyyyy?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man I feel you.

Sometimes my ego makes me feels bad because I think: "Dude, you should be socializing and having fun". But when I look deep into myself I feel like fuck my ego and I'll just do whatever I want, which is to sit alone while everybody is in other room.
Don't get me wrong, sometimes there isn't anything else I would rather do than socialize with people but at times just wondering off inside my head helps me relax and recharge in a way, so yeah I completly see where you're comming from : )

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Funny you ask that.

If I'd stay alone at home which would be the alternative plan, I usually go mad and depressed, start eating junk food, become very antisocial.

Thing is I like to be exposed and be in social gatherings even if I'm not actively taking part in those, just my presence is enough to make me feel good. So when in social gatherings (dinner, parties...etc), im usually sometime with the people and then just go outside or alone and have a small smoke or similar and re-engage later.

Wierd shit, if you view it from a 3rd person perspective. But for me is very normal to be like that.

At first, I had strong problems of self-acceptance because this is something not very normal to do, but I think I don't have it anymore.
Nope, actually that makes perfect sense. It's something I do too.

·
Registered
966 Posts
In the words of George Costanza: "If I watch it at home I feel like I'm not doing anything. If I watch it here, I'm out of the house, I'm doing something!"

Yeah I'm the same way, though. Large crowds of people bursting with energy, laughing and joking about pointless, simple minded things doesn't do anything for me and ends up exhausting me.

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
BlackLion said:
Some thought I was crazy or something when they saw me watching TV alone, some girls even dragged me and felt pitty for me for being alone which I didnt quite understand.
No? Even male thinkers usually long for a soft (=> higher BMI => female) and warm (=> feeler) human pillow.

There is a slightly more intellectual party format not only for INTPs

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Happens to me a lot, I'm at a party and I usually have to stay all night 'cause I live outside the city so I have to wait 'till morning so I can get on the train. No way for me to dance the whole night away, at some point I always end up browsing the host's library. People thought I'm feeling bad/alone/sad/in need of attention and tried to force me to socialize.

·
Registered
INTP
7,024 Posts
I don't get why people go to the parties? o_O
Why not do anything else or if you nee people around just ask a friend or two for a bear or a coffee or basically anything? Whhhyyyy?
I go to parties so I can be around people without having to actually be around them. It's a way of being social without actually having to get involved much at all. This is also the reason why I like big, vibrant cities. I can have my own tiny little solitary life but be surrounded by people. It can be quite invigorating for the social health meter.

·
Electronica Wizard
ISFP
6,709 Posts
I would start watching TV when people start to bore me with their mundane conversations I've probably heard at least for the 10th time that week or there's no music I can dance to or nobody wants to dance.

Reactions: Narcissus
1 - 20 of 21 Posts