Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..that should be T v F..

I don't know why it's so hard for me to figure the T/F thing out.. even after looking at the functions, I'm still pretty confused. Anyway, I usually test ENTP (very close on T/F), I relate to ENTP, I like ENTPs a bit better, but I think I might just come off as an ENFP, and I'm not sure why that is/how that relates.

When I look at the functions..

E/I - They're very close, but bottom line, I get energized by social things and get exhausted by too much alone time, so gotta be E.

N/S - Well, I definitely think I am Ne and that my Si is very weak. I actually think my Se is pretty good, if prodded. I just tend to prefer and naturally do the Ne. My Ni is not weak or strong. Confident on the N.

T/F - Te and Ti are almost identical.. Ti might be a bit higher.

But.. Fe, Fi.. I can't tell. I think I'm dead equal at them. I don't use them at the same time, but I'm almost positive I use them equally, which doesn't seem possible.

P/J - I am pretty confident on the P.

Maybe I'm missing a type here?

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I have a silly switch. I care about whether or not people like me. I get distracted easily by new people. In general I come off warm, friendly. And, I don't think I look like a female ENTP. Those are the things that stand out as ENFP. ENTP.. I especially relate to the people as an audience thing.. playing devil's advocate, being argumentative, playing with ideas, quick witted, can pretty much talk anyone out of anything or into anything.

And of course the functions themselves being either fairly balanced or I'm not understanding them.

I relate to more things in the ENTP forum (especially the things you love/hate about ENTP/ENFP posts) and like the ENTP forum better, but the general descriptions of an ENFP really sound close..

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

New experiences.. not being bored.. trying new things, adapting to new situations. Also, doing something with my life even though I lack a lot of motivation. And good friendships since I don't seem to have a lot of close friends.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I have social anxiety, so a lot of that clouds things - but it's usually when I am being outgoing, not overwhelmed, maybe even performing.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When I feel stupid.. either when I miss something I should have picked up quickly, or when someone knocks down something I say immediately.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

I mix pros/cons and the mood I am in.. I ask people.. I am extremely indecisive. When I'm trying to make a decision, even a simple one, I have this habit of narrowing it down to two and the two will ALWAYS be one "logical choice that I also like" and one "really like this, instant gratification". It paralyzes me, I tend to ask people what they'd pick, doesn't really help though. In the end, I think my decisions always ends up being random, and always wondering about the other.

I'm in the middle of something right now that might help. I have to choose between two places to live. One is a place I've lived before and has my brother and sister. But my sister will be leaving in a few months. The other is somewhere new and has extended family (so I even still get family). It also has more opportunities and might even fit my personality better. It also seems more adventurous and exciting. I think the second is the logical and obvious choice (and mostly everyone around me agrees) and the other is the emotional choice and right now I have decided on the emotional but it's very much "pick one" because I go back and forth every single day.

I think I might be making more emotional choices lately though as my dad died a few months ago, so I'm pretty out of whack.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I start things, never finish them. I get really into them at first, really obsessed and then I get tired of it and never go back to it. I prefer brainstorming and creating ideas for projects. I don't tend to follow-through. I will typically drop something when I think I got enough out of it. (I'm pretty good at most things, but I tend to think that even when I don't finish something that I can and it will turn out well, so I don't mind not finishing that much.)

I'm not really sure the answer to the second question.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I was with my family and we were drinking and grilling/eating crabs and pretty much just hanging out BSing. I like that sort of thing.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Theorize, definitely. Once I get a concept down I figure it's good enough and it works for me. I like to make connections and see patterns. I get a feel for things quite easily. I'd say hands-on would be next though, though when I do something hands-on, I don't really like to think about it a lot first.

I am not a memorizer at all.. it bores me, just don't think it's important.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

Well, I think I'm generally fairly neat and clean, my house looks pretty decent most of the time but never perfect. I can handle a ton of mess and can be really messy.. in spurts, and in certain spots.. but generally I pick up after myself. But, on the other hand, I can't do any planning or scheduling. When I was younger, I was really messy.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I look for the principles first.. then I get information to support it. But generally, I don't need the information to understand it, unless it's to present to an SJ haha.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Both? Neither? I think I'm balanced. I can generally keep people at ease and I've pulled people out of their shell before, that sort of thing. I don't particularly value harmony, but I do it naturally. I generally come off charming, but I have no patience for when someone is wrong or I can play devil's advocate and that gets me in trouble (my mom used to always tell me that I'd "argue with a dead person"). I am principled in that when something really does go against something I believe in, I don't have a problem speaking up, but that's not very often as I generally go with the flow.

One of the things that really put me off in the ENFP forum is the whole "world peace" thing.. what is with that? ha I don't really think it's possible and even if I did, I'm not interested in it.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Speak before thinking.

I prefer to participate in one on one discussions, but watch group. I prefer the group though because I like all the different thoughts/ideas bouncing around, but I like the observing there. But I like having an individual to bounce things off of or to antagonize. :wink:

What I really like the best though is a crowd where I can bounce around to different one-on-one situations.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

Umm.. jump into action. I can be reckless. I theorize ideas to death, but when it comes to doing, I never plan, just go. I won't think about things like safety or long-term consequences very much.

I don't really think actions always speak louder than words. I like words. Or maybe I'm just being contrary.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Night out. Maybe occasionally stay in..

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I'm visibly calm, but I am a mess in my head.. I go over things again and again.

If it's something that can be solved.. I don't tend to stress and I'm resourceful. I'm pretty calm in a typical crisis situation. But, when I do get stressed.. like over decision making (like that example up above).. I am in my head constantly, and it's hard to pull me out until it's over. I won't be normal again until after the change (even though I love change).

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I don't like when people don't participate in something fun or won't try new things.. when they're really inflexible.. drives me nuts. I don't like people who reject your ideas immediately.. I know this one person who everytime I say anything that is outside of the box, she'll immediately go "pfft" or make a face and move on like I'm stupid and it really pisses me off and it immediately throws me into argumentative mode. I'm not easily offended (you could insult my appearance or character and even beliefs to an extent eh whatever) until you dismiss my ideas or my analysis of a situation.

I'm pretty argumentative yes, but I don't like being nitpicked.

I don't when people are overly apologetic when saying something they think.. just say it.. or who have to try to jump into my conversation/argument/business to make peace. I did a bit of this when I was younger.. hate it now.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Yes, everything.. I love talking about theoretical things, making connections between things especially. I can talk philosophy and the philosophical side of politics forever. ..knowledge sharing, story telling, analyzing people.

I also like talking about meaningless things too.. I have an "academic" side and a "superficial" side and I will talk both endlessly but they don't really touch. Not so much on small talk though.. pass.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

I miss obvious things.. I don't hear people a lot. It's hard to get my attention. I apparently also pay the least attention to things like walls because I run into them a lot. :laughing:

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

My friends think I'm argumentative, intelligent, funny, talk too much and don't know when to stop. Mostly true, except I generally do know when to stop and mostly don't care or ignore it.

They'd also say I'm bubbly, happy, optimistic. I think it's slightly off. I think I'm more light-hearted and easy-going than bubbly and optimistic.. though I can get silly and excitable. My face looks bubbly a lot.. when I'm not getting the whole "are you upset" when I'm perfectly content and in fact enjoying something.

They'd say overly-sensitive. I think this is a misunderstanding of my incapability of dealing with emotions combined with social anxiety. They think I am a sensitive soul who loves flowers and romance and cries at sad movies.. when in actuality it's more like.. I have a dark sense of humor, make fun of romance, and when I cry it's because I've been taken off guard or put on the spot at the wrong time. Crying is something I actively fight.

I can be manipulative, but no one ever catches me so they think I'm the complete opposite. I like to mess with people and get reactions and push boundaries but for some reason I can get out of this really easily so I don't think most people notice this.

I've also gotten negative/sarcastic/mean (my sister always thinks this when I'm joking) and narcissistic.. that I overanalyze things.

One of the latest complaints.. my friend and I were talking about something and I thought we were just getting started.. just starting to get to the good stuff, when she abruptly stops and says "well, I don't want to beat a dead horse, so I'm done!"

What??? You just got started! It was just getting good.. we barely started! (This always happens to me.)

They would never say I'm decisive or boring.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

Sometimes nothing.

Sometimes.. I wanna go to an amusement park.. roller coasters and water stuff only. OR doing something I've never done. Something active. I'd like to learn how to snowboard..

--

So, what do you think? :cool:

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Sometimes ENFPs and ENTPs from the bigger picture can look a lot alike, but on the inside they are very very different.

Both ENFPs and ENTPs use Ne, which you obviously can relate to. However, an ENFP uses Fi secondarily and an ENTP uses Ti secondarily.

But the core of both are different -
ENTP: Ne, Ti, Fe Si
ENFP: Ne, Fi, Te Si

ENTP: (quoted from cognitiveprocesses.com)
Ti : "Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point.
Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it.
It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles.
These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea.
This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work.
The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency.
In so doing, we search for a "leverage point" that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system.
We engage in this process when we notice logical inconsistencies between statements and frameworks, using a model to evaluate the likely accuracy of what's observed."

Fe: "The process of extraverted Feeling often involves a desire to connect with (or disconnect from) others and is often evidenced by expressions of warmth (or displeasure) and self-disclosure.
The "social graces," such as being polite, being nice, being friendly, being considerate, and being appropriate, often revolve around the process of extraverted Feeling.
Keeping in touch, laughing at jokes when others laugh, and trying to get people to act kindly to each other also involve extraverted Feeling. Using this process, we respond according to expressed or even unexpressed wants and needs of others.
We may ask people what they want or need or self-disclose to prompt them to talk more about themselves.
This often sparks conversation and lets us know more about them so we can better adjust our behavior to them.
Often with this process, we feel pulled to be responsible and take care of others' feelings, sometimes to the point of not separating our feelings from theirs. We may recognize and adhere to shared values, feelings, and social norms to get along. "

ENFP:
Fi - "It is often hard to assign words to the values used to make introverted Feeling judgments since they are often associated with images, feeling tones, and gut reactions more than words.
As a cognitive process, it often serves as a filter for information that matches what is valued, wanted, or worth believing in.
There can be a continual weighing of the situational worth or importance of everything and a patient balancing of the core issues of peace and conflict in life's situations.
We engage in the process of introverted Feeling when a value is compromised and we think, "Sometimes, some things just have to be said." On the other hand, most of the time this process works "in private" and is expressed through actions.
It helps us know when people are being fake or insincere or if they are basically good. It is like having an internal sense of the "essence" of a person or a project and reading fine distinctions among feeling tones."

Te: "Contingency planning, scheduling, and quantifying utilize the process of extraverted Thinking.
Extraverted Thinking helps us organize our environment and ideas through charts, tables, graphs, flow charts, outlines, and so on.
At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively.
Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone's ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else's thought process. In written or verbal communication, extraverted Thinking helps us easily follow someone else's logic, sequence, or organization.
It also helps us notice when something is missing, like when someone says he or she is going to talk about four topics and talks about only three. In general, it allows us to compartmentalize many aspects of our lives so we can do what is necessary to accomplish our objectives."

Analyzing the core cognitive processes and whatever you identify with more with help you figure your type. Just remember, you are not going to exactly fit the mold of a certain type. We're all different and that what makes it so fascinating.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I do already know about cognitive functions. (The reason I mentioned them at the beginning of my post is to show that I was already analyzing them and got to a stand still and that's why I'm posting).

I have been reading everything I can about them for.. oh.. almost a week straight now, and I do think I have a much better understanding of them conceptually than when I first posted - but truthfully I'm still fuzzy on how they play out in my own life. I think I'm stuck in an over-thinking loop.

Is an over-analyzing of everything overly common any specific type, haha?

I'm sure I will figure it out eventually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts