Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into a lot of forums saying "this character is type a" while the next person argues its really type b. They go in circles day in and day out about the topic, while I'm just sitting there laughing my ass off. You can't type characters!

First of all, what is a character? Let's review... a character is "a person marked by notable or conspicuous traits" (Webster's definition). The premise for my argument must be understood by actually identifying that characters are actually characters. With that said, a character cannot be a personality. Remember, characters are only traits.

Traits are traits, not anything central to cognitive functions based on MBTI. And as far as we know, the writer's who made the characters took a bunch of traits that came from their imagination to put together Bug's Bunny or everyone's favorite... Homer Simpson.

Let's think, what would make those characters who they are? Well, we know that those characters are interesting to watch. So someone like Homer Simpson would be ideal for "dumb humor". He would respond to all kinds of situations with one of those characteristics.

But what kind of place would Springfield be if homer didn't respond to every situation the same way? It would be boring! And sadly you all must accept certain things would be boring for you too if you were forced to respond to something the same way. But that's because you're a person. Homer Simpson is not!

As we know, personality is based off preferences. And people prefer to act certain ways in different situations. Homer Simpson wouldn't. In theory, he could do just about anything and enjoy it. And the entire show would be based around that. In situations where homer had to respond to an intelligent comment (something a bit out of his league), he'd respond the same way all the time: with dumb humor (a characteristic). But really.. a person would get bored if they had to talk about something irrelevant to their MBTI preferences.

Sometimes the argument is brought up that characteristics can be put into types, therefore this would add up to a specific personality. But is that really true? I mean I can act like an ENFP when I felt the need to, but that doesn't mean I am one. Characteristics are unpredictable and can go quite far for the sake of art. The writer's are likely not going to be educated enough on the MBTI to intentionally make characters as specific personalities.

And even if they did, that would be boring! Because preferences wouldn't cover every situation in a show as a person would behave.

So if you really feel the need to further convince me that I'm wrong about this go ahead. But just keep in mind there is a difference between personality and character. If you don't separate the two, then you may as well link mood to personality too. Pretty soon I'm gonna be saying "today I'm hyper, therefore I'm an ESFP".

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Typing characters is just a little bit of fun. It's not to be actually taken seriously. Though, I have seen people that relate to certain characters want them to be "their type" which is a little rediculous because no one can have the same "personality" as somebody else. I see a lot of people online exclaiming things like, "I have the same personality as J.K. Rowling!" That's the point where I tend to roll my eyes because as I've said, no one can have the same "personality" as somebody else. Some people have the same mbti type as Hannibal Lector... does that mean they're a cannibal? No. That is one of the few parts of typing that I find somewhat annoying. In regard to characters in general, they're written and therefore can appear many types throughout an episode, season, etcetera... A common example of this would be Dr. House. What people tend to look for when typing characters is what the common factor is- if there is one at all. So, the type that the character appears to be most frequently. All in all, it shouldn't be taken as a serious thing. If you don't like to type characters, don't type them and don't go to the "guess the type" forums. Simple.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typing characters is just a little bit of fun. It's not to be actually taken seriously. Though, I have seen people that relate to certain characters want them to be "their type" which is a little rediculous because no one can have the same "personality" as somebody else. I see a lot of people online exclaiming things like, "I have the same personality as J.K. Rowling!" That's the point where I tend to roll my eyes because as I've said, no one can have the same "personality" as somebody else. Some people have the same mbti type as Hannibal Lector... does that mean they're a cannibal? No. That is one of the few parts of typing that I find somewhat annoying. In regard to characters in general, they're written and therefore can appear many types throughout an episode, season, etcetera... A common example of this would be Dr. House. What people tend to look for when typing characters is what the common factor is- if there is one at all. So, the type that the character appears to be most frequently. All in all, it shouldn't be taken as a serious thing. If you don't like to type characters, don't type them and don't go to the "guess the type" forums. Simple.
People take it a bit too far and seriously, because they actually debate over which type a character someone is. I've brought to their attention that you can't do that. I mean... I type characters for fun too, but that doesn't mean you actually CAN type them. You can bring stereotypes in, but that's all you can really do. Its not possible. Its not that I "don't like to type characters" its that you CAN'T type them! I don't intentionally go to threads to bicker over it.

Reactions: Le9acyMuse

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
People take it a bit too far and seriously, because they actually debate over which type a character someone is. I've brought to their attention that you can't do that. I mean... I type characters for fun too, but that doesn't mean you actually CAN type them. You can bring stereotypes in, but that's all you can really do. Its not possible. Its not that I "don't like to type characters" its that you CAN'T type them! I don't intentionally go to threads to bicker over it.
You're bickering over it right now in a thread that you created. In any case, that's your opinion and it's rightfully yours to have but it sounds like what you're asking for (especially in the part that I have bolded) is others to change their personal opinions to agree with you on the subject when you yourself stated in your first post that others could not convince you otherwise. Also, in the part that I have underlined, it seems as if you are contradicting yourself- You type characters for fun but yet you don't believe you can actually type them? Then why do you involve yourself in it in the first place? Why do you care so much? Why do you feel the need to prove something others deem as a bit of fun as wrong?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Most characters probably are closely represented by at least someone IRL. Just for them to be fully functional, consistent characters, they'll need a personality type (sure, it may be vague at times, but that doesn't mean they don't have some kind of personality structure - it depends on how realistic the show is and how much of the actors'/actresses' real personalities may be coming through the characters,etc.). I've never seen characters that weren't consistent if the show consisted of average writing at worst, as in, I've never seen characters that went from Ts to Fs in the course of one episode, for instance.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're bickering over it right now in a thread that you created. In any case, that's your opinion and it's rightfully yours to have but it sounds like what you're asking for (especially in the part that I have bolded) is others to change their personal opinions to agree with you on the subject when you yourself stated in your first post that others could not convince you otherwise. Also, in the part that I have underlined, it seems as if you are contradicting yourself- You type characters for fun but yet you don't believe you can actually type them? Then why do you involve yourself in it in the first place? Why do you care so much? Why do you feel the need to prove something others deem as a bit of fun as wrong?
I'm not bickering at all about it. I am arguing against your point. Its as simple as that.

Its not my "opinion" either. Its my belief. My belief is correct, so I choose to accept it objectively. If you want to accept something that is false then you have the right to. It just doesn't make you right. This isn't an opinionated question either. Its either yes or no, so either you're wrong or I'm wrong.

I type characters for fun, because its FOR fun. Its not meant to be taken seriously. You even said it yourself.

Reactions: Le9acyMuse

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm not bickering at all about it. I am arguing against your point. Its as simple as that.

Its not my "opinion" either. Its my belief. My belief is correct, so I choose to accept it objectively. If you want to accept something that is false then you have the right to. It just doesn't make you right. This isn't an opinionated question either. Its either yes or no, so either you're wrong or I'm wrong.

I type characters for fun, because its FOR fun. Its not meant to be taken seriously. You even said it yourself.
Creating this thread and railing on and on about how you can't type characters is bickering.

bickering participle of bick·er (Verb)
Argue about petty and trivial matters.
See synonyms: argue
I.e. See what I have bolded above.

I did say that it is for fun and not to be taken seriously. You're taking this conversation far too seriously.
It is an opinionated question. A belief is subjective, it's what you as an individual believe. So, there is no right or wrong answer. There are only beliefs and opinions. Yours just happen to differ from mine.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Also, the reason I'm confident that most characters can be typed is that types aren't personas, like you're making them out to be. What makes you think that you can really "act" like an ENFP? What does an ENFP act like? There is no rule regulating this, because types comprise a person's personality structure and complex manifestation, not behavior, temperament, etc. If you're acting like an ENFP, then you're probably just acting like a few individuals who happen to be ENFPs (or just your impression of what ENFPs act like, even though there may easily be other types out there that act like your conception of ENFP behavior), not some collective stereotype (because there is no collective stereotype).

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Creating this thread and railing on and on about how you can't type characters is bickering.

I.e. See what I have bolded above.

I did say that it is for fun and not to be taken seriously. You're taking this conversation far too seriously.
It is an opinionated question. A belief is subjective, it's what you as an individual believe. So, there is no right or wrong answer. There are only beliefs and opinions. Yours just happen to differ from mine.
Its not bickering because "trivial" is YOUR OPINION. That's where opinion actually comes into factor. Whereas this topic to me, I find very non-trivial.

A belief ISN'T always subjective. It can be objective as it gets.

be·lief/biˈlēf Noun:
An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

Keyword: true.

An opinion is something subjective.

You are in no position to tell me how to take a conversation. I can take it any way I want to take it. If you don't like then that's YOUR opinion. I take this seriously only because I find it serious. If you don't find it serious well then go ahead and laugh it off or take it whatever way you want to. If you are actually telling me how to act then that's just too bad for you.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@Grunfur

You're being pretty close-minded imo. What makes you think you can't type a character? I just laid out a bunch of reasons why this doesn't have to be impossible.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Grunfur

You're being pretty close-minded imo. What makes you think you can't type a character? I just laid out a bunch of reasons why this doesn't have to be impossible.
I am in no way being close-minded. I've considered all the things you've said before and they don't apply to the situation. I never said that people can't act like ENFPs or other types. I was making the point that they won't. A television show is for the intent to satisfy viewers and in order to do so the artistic element of character must come into factor. Character thrives off of more than one characteristics (all that seem to be different behaviors of personality types). If you are only looking at one characteristic, then sure you'll be able to type someone. But is it right? No. Its a generalization.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yeah, but if characters didn't have a personality type, how could actors even adapt to them? As I said before, there is no universal behavior associated with personality types, since behavior is learned, not innate, like type.

Reactions: paper lilies

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Its not bickering because "trivial" is YOUR OPINION. That's where opinion actually comes into factor. Whereas this topic to me, I find very non-trivial.

A belief ISN'T always subjective. It can be objective as it gets.

be·lief/biˈlēf Noun:
An acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.

Keyword: true.

An opinion is something subjective.

You are in no position to tell me how to take a conversation. I can take it any way I want to take it. If you don't like then that's YOUR opinion. I take this seriously only because I find it serious. If you don't find it serious well then go ahead and laugh it off or take it whatever way you want to. If you are actually telling me how to act then that's just too bad for you.
I am laughing right now because as JungyesMBTIno is saying, you're being completely close minded.
Especially since she is laying out plausible reasons why typing characters could be completely valid.
All of this is your opinion, and it was posted in that context.

ob·jec·tive/əbˈjektiv/
Adjective:
(of a person or their judgment) Not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
This thread is influenced by your personal feelings and thoughts.
The part I have bolded: subjective. "Stop telling me how I should think".
I'm not telling you how you should think or take a conversation anyway.
I told you specifically that my opinion is different than yours on the subject.

A belief is something true for them as an individual person.
Religion is a belief, you believe that there is a God, or what have you.
Others may not agree with that belief for their own reasons.

Calling this conversation objective is laughable certainly but I am certainly not telling you how to act.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, but if characters didn't have a personality type, how could actors even adapt to them? As I said before, there is no universal behavior associated with personality types, since behavior is learned, not innate, like type.
They can adapt to them with characteristics. In every social situation a person acts differently. When I am with certain friends I may act goofy and other friends seriously. The point is... these are characteristics and through acting they can be maintained.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
As I said before, behavior isn't type related. The types still show through the behavior if you observe someone closely according to the principles of typology.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am laughing right now because as JungYesMBTINo is saying, you're being completely close minded.
All of this is your opinion, and it was posted in that context.

This thread is influenced by your personal feelings and thoughts.
The part I have bolded: subjective. "Stop telling me how I should think".
I'm not telling you how you should think or take a conversation anyway.
I told you specifically that my opinion is different than yours on the subject.

A belief is something true for them as an individual person.
Religion is a belief, you believe that there is a God, or what have you.
Others may not agree with that belief for their own reasons.

Calling this conversation objective is laughable certainly but I am certainly not telling you how to act.
I am not being close minded! You are obviously the one missing the point, because I have done enough analysis to conclude this and you're not even disputing my claims for that matter. You're just taking this situation far out of context. And for the last time its not opinionated. You need to learn your terminology better before you come to retarded conclusions like this. By saying opinion, you're denoting there are partial elements to it. And that isn't right. Someone is wrong or someone is right. End of story.

I don't give a damn how this thread is influenced by. You told me that I am taking it seriously. I can take it however way I want to. You have no right to intervene or even bring that up for that matter. Its none of your business whatsoever. My conclusions were never influenced by personal feeling at all. I concluded them based on facts. Did I take things seriously AFTER concluding the facts? Maybe I did. That is irrelevant. You're completely taking this out of context.

You are the one who brought the topic up, so maybe I should tell you that you're not taking this conversation seriously enough.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As I said before, behavior isn't type related. The types still show through the behavior if you observe someone closely according to the principles of typology.
Oh... if behavior isn't type related then I really don't know what to say, because I was literally convinced that all my INTP friends that I know behave so much like me and we had even agreed upon that many times.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Well, there are indirect indications of type, yes. But this truly doesn't fit the definition of behavior, since behavior is learned while type isn't. You're not giving any reason why characters' types can't be discerned though. Just like people IRL, characters have traits, albeit, they might be slightly more exaggerated or played up than those of real people, depending on the show. So, why does this eliminate the possibility of characters having types, while it doesn't eliminate this possibility in people IRL?

1 - 20 of 105 Posts