Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 1310 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finish the sentence.

I think it's a good idea to have an opposite of the "You know you're an ISTJ" thread, because I see a lot of stereotypes that a lot of us agree with, this thread should help prove our humanity. Maybe it will be stickied.

I don't know about you guys but I have tons of times when I doubt the fact that I'm an ISTJ, but then I have an ISTJ moment and all the doubts go away.

I doubt I'm an ISTJ when...

- I look at the disaster area I call my room. I have to clean it eventually, but my schedule is so tightly packed it will have to be on a Sunday between 11pm and Midnight.

- I start designing entire impossible worlds with their inhabitants for my writings, during college lectures.

- Class is separated into groups for group discussion and you and another person are doing all the talking because you're the only people in the group who've read the materiel.​

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Sounds like this is really about false stereotypes of ISTJs. I have never once doubted that I was an ISTJ as I relate too strongly with the description. The description also resonates with anyone that knows me personally.

I can relate to all of the above.:crazy:

You don't like accounting.
You sometimes forget things.
You sometimes misplace something and spend 15 minutes looking for it.
You over commit because you didn't take time to look at your calendar.
Sometimes you don't want to be alone.
You miss people--deeply.
You tear up at sappy movies.
You are a hopeless romantic.
You let someone down
You don't do what is important to you because you are trying to do everything you promised
You fall off the wagon and fail to use your planner.

And many, many more.:frustrating:

·
Registered
401 Posts
... I get angry. It's been a struggle for much of my life dealing with a hot temper at times. Completely not what the average ISTJ does.

I try to keep stuff organized in my room, but I just have a ton of stuff. All of it at least has some use (see my posts on the Materialistic ISTJ's thread), but being the collector I am, it can be difficult at times.

I occasionally miss directions in schedule and if I miss a homework assignment or don't go to class because I have other things to do, that doesn't go to well with me.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
... I get angry. It's been a struggle for much of my life dealing with a hot temper at times. Completely not what the average ISTJ does.
ISTJs often have a hot temper. This is not a trait always reflected by personality type. Averages are suspect: Averaged, a person would have one testicle and one breast. However, nothing could be actually further from the truth.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
ISTJs often have a hot temper. This is not a trait always reflected by personality type. Averages are suspect: Averaged, a person would have one testicle and one breast. However, nothing could be actually further from the truth.
Speak for yourself!

*buys half a bra*

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
You don't like accounting.
You sometimes misplace something and spend 15 minutes looking for it.
Sometimes you don't want to be alone.
You miss people--deeply.
You tear up at sappy movies.
You don't do what is important to you because you are trying to do everything you promised
^ This. Especially #1 on that list. Accounting is an evil creature and I'm glad that I NEVER have to take another accounting class again, ever. (BTW I also did terrible in the class; I average between 95-100% in all of my classes. The two exceptions were Algebra, w/88% .......... and then the evil accounting; I ended up with a 78% in that, despite my best efforts. My brain is simply not wired for that subject.)

·
Banned
160 Posts
when you fail a statistics class
when you stay up till 3am writing an essay the night before it is due because you procrastinated on it all quarter
when someone tells you you are 'sweet'
when you drive over the speed limit
when your group of friends considers you the comedian and the weirdo of the group

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I don't doubt that I'm an ISTJ at any given point, thats not to say I don't act un-ISTJlike from time to time.

I don't fit the stereotypical ISTJ when:
...I find it funny to break the rules and back stab my partners in a game for a laugh.
...become ultra competitive with people whenever I'm challenged
...I decide to make decisions based on little calculations and more upon gut feelings.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
- I look at the disaster area I call my room. I have to clean it eventually, but my schedule is so tightly packed it will have to be on a Sunday between 11pm and Midnight.

- I start designing entire impossible worlds with their inhabitants for my writings, during college lectures.

- Class is separated into groups for group discussion and you and another person are doing all the talking because you're the only people in the group who've read the materiel.​
I do these things all the time!!!

My room is what i refer to as "organized chaos" Everything has its place...it just happens to be in a pile!

I totally make up fictional worlds when I am bored. It gives me something to do. However, I probably go about it in a very ISTJ manner, I suppose: I have to make sure the continents/mountains at least look somewhat tectonically plausible, that the deserts are in places that would actually have deserts (I plan out the wind/water currents to figure that one out), Rivers are in logical places (they dont randomly start and stop, rivers flow from higher areas of elevation to sea level....) I make sure all the fictional creatures are anatomically sound (even if they have 6 legs, it has to look realistic), and that there is a proper ratio of herbivores to carnivores, and that I have enough variety in the flora to make things interesting.....yeah. Im a Geek!!! :crazy:

I think it is very ISTJ to come prepared to class, and we can make conversation you know! :wink:

OWL

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
why are you wearing a bra?!? :shocked: :wink:
Very Funny.
It's the only way the joke would work.
There's no way to make a joke a short joke about having one nutsack.

Reactions: Achi and niss

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
when you drive over the speed limit
I almost am always driving over the speed limit. I have a 40 or so minute commute to work where the highway I take is set at 70 MPH. I drive 80 or above everyday. I love my radar detector :proud:

Sidenote: I saw a car today with a huge sticker on the back windshield that said "Namaste". I google'd it and got some stuff about India. It doesn't happen to mean something else or be a band or anything, does it?

·
Banned
160 Posts
I almost am always driving over the speed limit. I have a 40 or so minute commute to work where the highway I take is set at 70 MPH. I drive 80 or above everyday. I love my radar detector :proud:

Sidenote: I saw a car today with a huge sticker on the back windshield that said "Namaste". I google'd it and got some stuff about India. It doesn't happen to mean something else or be a band or anything, does it?

Lol, same here. Where I am from cops typically won't pull you over unless you are going over 85.

I think the meaning is 'wholeness' or 'oneness' and I think it is an Indian word for a greeting as well. I just take a lot of yoga and we always say it at the end lol. It just reminds me of peace and calm. :p

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Finish the sentence.

I think it's a good idea to have an opposite of the "You know you're an ISTJ" thread, because I see a lot of stereotypes that a lot of us agree with, this thread should help prove our humanity. Maybe it will be stickied.

I don't know about you guys but I have tons of times when I doubt the fact that I'm an ISTJ, but then I have an ISTJ moment and all the doubts go away.

I doubt I'm an ISTJ when...

I would not doubt your ISTJness by this statement.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
You are unusual. Perhaps your understanding is better because you are not so far removed from us--having to deal with some of the same stereotypes. Most people think our personal living spaces border on hospital-sterile because we are STJs.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
I believe there is a divide amongst ISTJ's myself, and thats called the enneagram divisions.

ISTJ is probably a majority type 1 which would agree with your statement. A type 9 as he is won't be driven heavily by the same motivations, as our buddy seems to have experienced. Type 5's are also a very nice sized minority in the ISTJ mix. Besides yourself people don't speak up often regarding the differences.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
I almost am always driving over the speed limit.
Same here. While I don't take the freeway to work (it runs E/W, and my commute is N/S), I DO have a 30-minute commute each way every day; about half of it is on back country roads, a quarter of it is through the far east side of the city near the industrial park (and near-highway conditions on the road), and then the last quarter is in the city itself. The highest posted speed limit is 45 (by the industrial park). It's nothing for me to blow through there pushing 60 on any given day. I like speed, and I like fast cars. I must have been a racecar driver in a previous lifetime. :crazy: :tongue: :laughing:

1 - 20 of 1310 Posts