Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well if it's really the case then it's because we're starving artists :/ I think we're more likely to go for our passion rather than something that could sustain a comfortable life.
I guess it's a good thing my passion is psychology, though acting is my close second and if I was passionate enough for it, I'd definitely go for that before psychology.

BAHAHAHA omg I read the marriage statistic and that's freaking awesome xD Dead last guys! Whoo! :D xD

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well if it's really the case then it's because we're starving artists :/ I think we're more likely to go for our passion rather than something that could sustain a comfortable life.
I guess it's a good thing my passion is psychology, though acting is my close second and if I was passionate enough for it, I'd definitely go for that before psychology.

BAHAHAHA omg I read the marriage statistic and that's freaking awesome xD Dead last guys! Whoo! :D xD
I agree with you on the passion part. I think infps are one of the most passionate types in the whole mbti. Also, since we are so emotional and sensitive, it becomes very difficult for us to be ruthless and materialistic. I really think it will always be the most practical people who will walk away with the bounties, not us infps. We infps are so much more involved with human problems that such selfish motives like garnering wealth is the least priority for us.

And I agree with u @Wellsy that its not fair to mark us infps as least educated. I know two other infps in my life. One is my senior, a post graduate in management. Another friend is pursuing Diploma in disaster management from one of the best colleges in Mumbai, India. Yours truly is also an MBA with an aspiration to do Phd in future. So, i don't think we are least educated at all. Let some other type take that tag. :p

·
Registered
934 Posts
I agree with you on the passion part. I think infps are one of the most passionate types in the whole mbti. Also, since we are so emotional and sensitive, it becomes very difficult for us to be ruthless and materialistic. I really think it will always be the most practical people who will walk away with the bounties, not us infps. We infps are so much more involved with human problems that such selfish motives like garnering wealth is the least priority for us.
Yeah no kidding, I'd get ripped to pieces in the business world (and so would the majority of INFPs probably....) I was going to be a lawyer for awhile but then I realized... I didn't have the cunning or emotionlessness to not get heated during a debate and start using vulgarity and then feel deeply offended if I lost, regardless of who I was defending. Plus there's too many rules and details and it makes my eyes cross.

Reactions: amit

·
Registered
592 Posts
For myself, I could believe it. I don't have the patience to go through with something like college or to actually pursue something with my (hypothetical) degree. I'm happy with less. I'd be thrilled to have food, gas money and a bit for the thrift store/used books; nothing huge. Also, keep in mind that there are many types of intelligence. Some people are book smart, some are good at fixing things, some are good at fixing people, others make great spiritual guru's, etc. It's only a number and money isn't everything.

Lol, I'm part of the 30% marriage demographic.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,319 Posts
Personally I doubt INFPs would be least educated, because in my experience INFPs really like learning.... though they are also likely to dislike the strict structure of the education system and also likely to be torn between too many interests and therefore may not complete their education in any of them, even if they have obtained a lot of learning over the years due to their curiosity and bookishness. I think INFPs probably prefer higher education, once they get into it, and are among the types likely to be the 'perpetual student'.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if INFPs were more often low-income because it seems like our personality clashes with what is expected and needed in Business.... it just seems like we aren't naturally inclined to management etc. and are also more likely to be overlooked even if we are capable. Indecisiveness and too many interests pulling us in different directions could also lead to not really going anywhere with different careers that may interest us. Of course these are just generalizations.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I tend to lean more towards unschooling. Public schooling is entirely too structured for me and there's too many people/too many personalities mushed together. It's overwhelming. I read somewhere that public school caters to the ISTJ type. I love learning, on my own terms/time.

Source

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Err thanks to my SJ Asian parents I could have never gotten away with not continuing school (and of course also doing well in it, even if without any clear purpose or advantage) ... D:

And thanks to my BA in Visual Arts, I can't possibly get a job my parents won't disapprove of if I don't go to grad school

Wait, actually I can imagine an INFP being highly educated but still end up with with a low-paying job XD
My chance of jumping into the Bohemian lifestyle still has not passed, yessss

I actually tend to envy the ISFPs who don't even seem to give two craps about education level, and yet tend to be pretty effing skilled in their own thang. If I grew up in a different environment, I might have really joined the ISFPs.

Wait, ENTPs get second lowest household income? WTF? Is it because they're too busy developing freewares to find real cash XD

·
MOTM January 2013
10,631 Posts
fwiw, I can understand the educational part to a degree if its because the prospect of committing to a highly structured course for some lengthy time could be offputting to some preferring a more independent way of learning, learning things their own way, formal educational isn't for everyone. Im a late bloomer though with plans to get back into education again after a stint of personal issues got in the way, im a lifelong student anyways, haha!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, of course this doesn't apply to all INFP's, only to those who took the survey on that particular website.

One thing that really bothers me though:
Those people on the website equate well-schooled with well-educated. Good god. By that logic you can't get an education outside of the grounds of an university campus. I think many nobel laureates would tend to disagree (Thomas Mann, Hermann Hesse etc.).

I think Frank Zappa summed this point up best, when he said:
"If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.”

·
Registered
623 Posts
Reading all this is making me feel really negative... there are parts of being INFP that I adore, but parts that make me feel really disabled by my own being.

I really wouldn't mind changing who I am, something I keep saying lately. I wouldn't mind transforming into somebody else, even if that means becoming less sensitive and a little colder.

I am tired of being uncomfortable with my life and lacking independence. I struggle to fight for myself. I don't have consistent strength.

I got told the other day however, that my inconsistencies make me DIMENSIONAL. I like that. I would agree I'm a dimensional person.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Blah Blah Blah.....It's a beautiful day! We are more spiritual than material, don't let this stuff cloud your mind. Enjoy your life, it is very temporary in all reality. :)

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
Eh - to go with the post above -- go out and change the day. If some stats say something you don't like -- prove them wrong. I've been married 19 years, retired at 54 and my income was pretty damn good for the area I live in. I hated college and even if I graduated I spent most of my time doing what Frank Zappa advises: library Queen.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Blah Blah Blah.....It's a beautiful day. We are more spiritual than material, don't let this stuff cloud your mind. Enjoy your life, it is very temporary in all reality. :)
True, true! we, and most INFP fella I believe often get drowning in negative feeling, but we need to push the brake.
besides, Law of Attraction does exists. so keep attract all good things with your mind. More over, LoA is something we can reach if we have enrichment in intra personal communication, and good news is..INFP with our Fi is the ace of Intra personal communication (although lacking in interpersonal). We can dooo eeeeet

I am saying this to myself as well.

·
Banned
710 Posts
I'm confused... where does it say INFPs are the least educated? 9/16 is dead in the middle, not last. I can see INFPs not being obsessed about "education" though, as the certificates and hula hoop-jumping of institutional learning aren't really our bag. I know that I personally have seen most of my education as an enjoyable "motion" to go through. Although, hopefully my masters will be more meaningful than that...

The income and marriage stats are quite funny, however... INFPs dead last in both! It makes sense as we are probably one of the most picky types, as well as one of the most shy. We are very selective in our jobs, with income being probably not the most important factor. :p And, I find myself unable to settle even in the smallest way when it comes to romance. :|

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is ONE study. To have the security of this data to be true we will need at least 4 or 5 replications in the same condition in different places.

This is what is called 'science', and is the way that the data can be taken into account. One study cannot stand a rule.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts