Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now granted I only know one of you, but he's one of my favorite people of all time. He's witty and downright hilarious, he's down to earth, a hard-worker, a sensible person, but not hindering. He's understanding, and usually accepting, and when he does not understand or doesn't truly accept, he leaves it at that, he does not dwell or criticize. He's very smart.

But... he can be very egotistical, and he can NEVER be wrong. He likes to get his own way, and sometimes pouts when he doesn't.

But I don't mean to draw in the negative. He's one of the greatest people I'll ever meet and I love you guys because of him and now by default you're all pretty awesome :)

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
egotistical or arrogant are descriptions thrown around loosely sometimes. It just means you know how great you are. From your description I would say he probably understand himself and doesn't mind admitting it.:wink:

·
Registered
324 Posts
But I don't mean to draw in the negative. He's one of the greatest people I'll ever meet and I love you guys because of him and now by default you're all pretty awesome :)
This whole default thing could become dangerous!!!:crazy:

Reactions: Sela and niss

·
Registered
421 Posts
Now granted I only know one of you, but he's one of my favorite people of all time. He's witty and downright hilarious, he's down to earth, a hard-worker, a sensible person, but not hindering. He's understanding, and usually accepting, and when he does not understand or doesn't truly accept, he leaves it at that, he does not dwell or criticize. He's very smart.

But... he can be very egotistical, and he can NEVER be wrong. He likes to get his own way, and sometimes pouts when he doesn't.

I find this very interesting as you are an INFP and INFPs are meant to clash with ISTJs (in the theoretical world). There was also this thread in the INFP forum http://personalitycafe.com/infp-for...e-difficult-annoying-experiences-sjs-nts.html where SJs were the clear 'winner' in being the most annoying/irritating to the INFP posters though granted being SJ does not mean you are an ISTJ.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hehe, 3 of the 7 people in my clique are INFPs :p I gotta keep em grounded or their thoughts run wild through fantasy land and nothing gets accomplished :p

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I find this very interesting as you are an INFP and INFPs are meant to clash with ISTJs (in the theoretical world). There was also this thread in the INFP forum http://personalitycafe.com/infp-for...e-difficult-annoying-experiences-sjs-nts.html where SJs were the clear 'winner' in being the most annoying/irritating to the INFP posters though granted being SJ does not mean you are an ISTJ.
Meh, you also have to consider the demographics of this site. Most of the people here are just past their teens and so living at home under an SJ parent is still rather fresh in their minds. And there aren't many of us that didn't think our parents were nuts and we swore to never be like our parents, etc. That is probably fueling a lot of the SJ dislike at this point in their lives.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Meh, you also have to consider the demographics of this site. Most of the people here are just past their teens and so living at home under an SJ parent is still rather fresh in their minds. And there aren't many of us that didn't think our parents were nuts and we swore to never be like our parents, etc. That is probably fueling a lot of the SJ dislike at this point in their lives.
That post needs more than just a few thanks. How tired am I of hearing people cry about how their parents make them do things. Children sour relationships and make matters bad for themselves.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I like having SJ parents. Though they completely were baffled by me at times and I them, they were open minded enough to let me be myself and help me with my shortcomings and usually werne't completely closed off to me teaching them a thing or two in the meantime.

(Not to say we didn't have problems, we actually had a lot but that was because of the circumstances life dealt us, not because of type)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

I totally agree with all of the above...I only know 2 ISTJ's...but they're great. This fantasy-land INFP needs to be brought back to Earth every once in a while and my ISTJ's friends are just what the doctor ordered. :laughing: Sometimes I get frustrated with my NF friends because it seems like we're all so worried about hurting each others feelings nobody really comes out and says what needs to be said. Not so when you have an ISTJ friend... I've had a dosage of reality pie delivered to me on a couple occasions in a tactful yet firm manner...and I'm better for it. Sometimes we need to hear the truth....or at least another honest point of view...delivered without the dilution of emotions.

As far as being egotistical...it's the big joke between my guy ISTJ friend and I...because he's always joking about how awesome he is.... I think the fact that I get such a kick out of it causes him to keep going and he'll go off on a tangent about all of the different ways in which he's awesome. It makes me laugh every time because I know he's joking...but there's some truth thrown in there too and I never know quite where the line is between joking and serious! And he knows it so he just runs with it. I love his sense of humor.

My female ISTJ friend isn't like that at all...she's actually quite shy and doesn't really talk about herself at all. She's got a wicked sense of humor though...she always catches me off guard with some of the stuff she comes up with!

My mom is an ISFJ and we never really got along when I was a teen-ager and into my mid 20's. I felt like she was judgmental and didn't understand me. Now that I'm in my 30's though my mom is one of my very best friends. I'm sure when I was younger I wouldn't appreciate SJ's at all...but now that I'm older I admire them for the qualities they possess that I do not. And they're just good people...at least the one's I've had the pleasure of knowing. We have our differences...but doesn't everybody? I spent 16 years with another INFP and the gap between us was huge... INFP's generally look for the good in things...so even when I have a hard time relating to an SJ I try to find some common ground so we can get along peacefully. Then again I'm an Enneagram type 9 so maybe I differ from the Enneagram 4's and 5's which is common amongst INFPs... :unsure:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have a very similar personality compared to my father and we clashed a lot when I was growing up. I don't want to be like him when I'm a parent but all I can do is to try and tone down the things I didn't like because you are what you are to some degree. However I don't think I will ever clash in the same way with another ISTJ because the relationship will never be a parent-child relationship (unless I have an ISTJ child :crazy:) so I would think relationships with other ISTJs would be quite different.

While attempting to surf threads backwards from past to present: http://personalitycafe.com/istj-forum-duty-fulfillers/13924-istjs-you-guys-rock.html

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Agreed! And do I ever envy their sense of responsibility, organization and diligence.

maybe they're born with it...maybe it's SiTe... ;P

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
228 Posts
Of course you do, unless you bought that ISTJ sign somewhere :mellow:
Well, just to compare myself to who gemofgreen describes: I'm not witty or hilarious as I'm not a sociable person in the least and I don't consider myself very smart (or smart enough).

Even though I'm an ISTJ and we have many qualities (to which many apply to me specifically), it would be dishonest for me to say that I'm not a relatively despicable person in general.

But yeah, many ISTJs can be great people, especially once you get to know them personally.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Even though I'm an ISTJ and we have many qualities (to which many apply to me specifically)
.. and you stop right there. A wise man once told me that you should stop comparing yourself to others and focus on your own strengths instead. I'm pretty sure this was meant as a positive thread to our type in general - not a thread for you to compare yourself and spot your insufficiencies. Being an ISTJ doesn't automatically grant you every single strength gemofgreen described, but as you said, you possess many of the ISTJ qualities - be happy with that instead of focusing on what you aren't.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
And to add to what Flipit has said, many of those qualities that you believe you lack are actually residing within you, lying dormant, waiting to be discovered...:happy:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think my ISTJ friend is the best! I admire his integrity so much and I love the chance to work with him, he's so intelligent. Unfortunately over the years he has somehow gotten sucked in to my INTJ scam and believes I know better than he does so he doesn't push back or argue with me like before. This distresses me.

I find it so extremely enjoyable to verbally fence with someone so intelligent that perhaps he is just sick of arguing with me.

Do you think if I told him I always value his opinion and want him to push back, he'd be offended or upset? Or would he appreciate it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts