Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I jacked this from the INFJ thread, but I posted this on here because I was curious. :) What would you guys do?

This was my reply: I would drop out of school, and work part-time at a medium-paced job, doing something I like. I would aim to save up a certain sum of money so that it can be used to provide for my family after i am gone. I'd most likely use that money to buy some kind of bond or a 5-10 year CD, so that the interest would accrue and this can be used for something worthwhile by my family. Ideally, for a summer vacation sometime down their lives. Our family has been planning to go to this specific place, and has been saving up for that so I'd want my savings to be used years later, when my family has gotten over the grief, and can think back of me and smile.

Outside of work.. I would feel free to enjoy life. Go to the beach as often as I want. Paint a lot. Sing a lot, even though I suck. take dancing lessons, take more music lessons, do all the things i wanted to do but wasn't able to do. Eat a lot of chocolate, go on a cruise, enjoy all the small things in life. Ironically, the idea of having a certain amount of time to live is very appealing to me. It gives me a sense of closure... and because i know my timeframe, i would act accordingly. With life right now, I feel like things are unsettled which kind of irks me, I have to often balance the ideal and practical -- what i want to do versus what i should do. but since i have the time frame, i'd just do what i want to do instead of pursuing my ambitions in grad school. the idea of knowing this makes me feel liberated in a sense.

I would live life with no regrets.

And. as one of the last, last, last things I would make amends with everyone, whether i wronged them, or they wronged me.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Ironically enough, I just finished watching Ikiru, logged on, and saw this post. I'd quit school, read some books I haven't read, do charity work, travel, and uhhh, do some stuff I wouldn't normally ever do, maybe involving women, and/or jumping out of planes.

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
1. get life insurance policy
2. quit work
3. kiss family goodbye - no use crying over spilled milk
4. pack backpack
5. go on a walk about to Paris
6. eat, drink, love
7. die
:laughing:

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
That seems like the best thing that could ever happen to someone, in a weird and round about way, given the fact that most of you would give up everything, responsibilities included to do something that you would rather do. What's stopping you from doing them now? Are you striving to do these things now currently in your life? I never understood the phrase Carpe Diem, when people utter the phrase it sounds like a joke, due to this specific reason. No one really lives for the moment, unless an imminent threat is going to happen, isn't that interesting?

I think the only people who actually truly adhere to this phrase are bums, people out on the street, the terminally ill etc. In a sense they are living more for the moment, then we ever will come to know, raw life at its core, no cushions, not knowing what tomorrow will bring. In ontological anarchism, a person by the name of Hakim Bey would call this Temporary Autonomous Zone (T.A.Z.), which I've always been fascinated by, you should all look into it. It kind of reminds me of the question "what will it be like in heaven?" laden with idealism, also reminds me of the underlying theme(s) from the movie V for Vendetta. I just thought I would offer the non-typical predictable response and throw a wrench in this thread, just to be a little shit. *smiles*

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Read.
Take that risk with my limerence.
Document my final months somehow.
Have great music and great food in great destinations.
Expand my horizons and just try everything...culinary class, acting class, singing class, sculpting class, try Lacrosse and tennis, learn piano..
Wake up early and soak up the life down at the harbor...have meaningful conversations with people who are capable with them--particularly seniors because I feel that the elderly are full of untapped wisdom.
Run with the Bulls..
Go to one or two concerts/raves.
Try the limitlessly potent DMT
Meet up with some online friends.
Debates.
Have a few days and round up my favorite movies to watch.
Beach.
Sufficiently relax and slouch around and meditate.

It is interesting that we focus on much on aging and death and on being forward-thinking, but we don't optimize life. We really are less than a grain of sand in eternity's hourglass. What's stopping me from doing all these things now? We

·
Registered
45 Posts
1. get life insurance policy
2. quit work
3. kiss family goodbye - no use crying over spilled milk
4. pack backpack
5. go on a walk about to Paris
6. eat, drink, love
7. die
:laughing:
Pretty much what I would do. By the way, just finished listening to the soundtrack to Memoirs of a Geisha. Great music.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I hope this isn't too creepy but honestly, I'd probably go on a killing spree. Always wanted to know how long I could go without getting caught, but it's just not worth it having so much more life to live, having only 6 months however.....but I suppose then I'd be capped at 6 months so maybe this isn't the best idea o_O

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
- Sever all connections with certain people in my life.
- Laser hair removal treatment (yeah yeah, I'm a little vain like that).
- Squander my savings on traveling around the world visiting my online friends.
- Let people know how I really feel about them.
- Write a lot of poetry.
- Introspect on the life I have lived and cherish every moment.
- Spend time with my friends' small children and grieve that I will never be a mother.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Make a will bequeathing all my assets to my SO. For the rest, I mostly do what I want to do. I'd probably take a few more holidays, but that would be it.

@Hemoglobin

- Spend time with my friends' small children and grieve that I will never be a mother
Imagine you had a year to live. Would you become a mother then?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Go to Greece then visit Rome and find my father's tomb or something. He's buried there somewhere.
I don't know why, but my family won't tell me where he is buried.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
@Hemoglobin

Imagine you had a year to live. Would you become a mother then?
If I had a year I would foster a child, again.

I don't think it's fair bringing a child into the world knowing full well that I couldn't raise it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Steal a camera, pack a bag, travel to places where photos need to be taken no matter how dangerous. Keep a journal as i go.

Reactions: Laurelin

·
Banned
235 Posts
six months huh?

make peace with everyone in my life that i feel tension with
sky dive/hotair balloon ride/rock climb
travel to India and practice Yoga
spread as much knowledge i have about life.
try everything possible.

... this is all stuff i plan to do. because, you never know when its your time to go.
cliche? yes. but truth.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The same things I would have done not knowing I only had 6 months left; Life does not magically become more precious. Open your eyes.

Reactions: Snowguard

·
Registered
347 Posts
At the moment, I am only working two days a week, so I would keep working for my family.

If my wife had to know that I was dying, then take the kids out of preschool and spend every non-work day with them.

If my wife did not need to know, spend every weekend with my kids and prepare the best I could for her and them financially during the time I had left. Tell her with less than a month to go. Then take the kids out of school.

Realistic response, because at least in my situation, this is what I would do differently.

Reactions: Snowguard

·
Registered
457 Posts
Seriously?

In order:
  • I'll have a cigar and fat blunt on hand for any moment.
  • Kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I will have my bubblegum.
  • As long as I stay out of jail I will clear out my debt unless I can be certain it won't effect my parents and/or others.
  • Find some way to find myself in the physics books, or 'some other' kind of immortalizing event.
  • Among the ass to be kicked include people like Micheal Moore, not to single him out but he just has that effect of being a face I wanna punch.
It ain't who I am now, just the things I would do if I had 6 months to live as I value my life and my plans. :mellow:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts