Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I met my first INTJ today! I thought I knew INTJ's before; I didn't.

You truly are the ENFP's perfect match, aren't you? before, I was always depressed by how annoyed "INTJ's" were by my energy, my Ne, my cheerful enthusiasm.... Those were ISTJ's that hadn't come to grips with their first function!

This INTJ-a true, non-poser INTJ-doesn't mind at all; he seems intrigued. And what a deep philosopher! Y'all are nicer than people give you credit for. Granted, you're not flawless... but you kind of rock :) So yes...

I just wanted to take a moment to ask this:

HOW DO WE RECOGNIZE YOU?

Feel free to expound on anything you want or go off on a tangent you find important.

I'm just in awe!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Lol I think my ENFP friend/former roomie used to think she annoyed me sometimes and she would ask me that..and I wasn't annoyed at all (usually I may have been concentrating on something and didn't respond to her as I normally do). We live hours away now and I never get to see her anymore :( but I always try to make plans to meet up. She was/is ridiculously amusing. She'd walk into the room and be like "happy song! I am singing a happy song!" and then make up a weird song with happy words like sunshine and care bears..and then do a really weird dance...would kill me all the time. So random. She was basically like Jess from New Girl. I even texted her when I watched that show when it first came on and she was like "you do not know how many people text me every week to say she did something that is just like me" lol and she was like that before the show.

Anyway, I digress from your question....my answer is, I don't know! Because I am not quite sure how people perceive me, so I wouldn't know how one would spot me as an INTJ. I guess the folks that are observing in a group, laughing to themselves at things others don't pick up on (not in a mean way, but maybe someone makes a sly comment that no one else catches), someone who is amused by your behavior and what you say but isn't terribly demonstrative about it - smirks, snickers, twinkle in the eye at you, etc., sounds pretty competent whenever they talk about whatever it is they talk about, usually stands out as pretty bright. I dunno.

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well for finding us you should have begin with how old you are. If you go to college/university and all that stuff. That will narrow the field to give a more precise answer.

Btw not all INTJ's are good people, it's relative. If you're an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about then you'll stay an idiot for us and we will never respect you. Maybe we will talk to you if we have to but you'll pretty much never really know unless you're really annoying us to the point where we lose self-control and become emotional. Then we use our lightsaber. vvvviooooom

(I'm not a jedi fan but I thought the dark jedi analogy was good)

Reactions: Fern

·
Registered
12,002 Posts
You truly are the ENFP's perfect match, aren't you? before, I was always depressed by how annoyed "INTJ's" were by my energy, my Ne, my cheerful enthusiasm.... Those were ISTJ's that hadn't come to grips with their first function!
well, not to daunt you or anything, but i think genuine intj's might still be capable of annoyance-moments. it's not like that other gang you just mentioned have the world market on irritation cornered.

HOW DO WE RECOGNIZE YOU?
g'nhgh, i dunno. maybe the one that does actually come to my mind: if you ever get a person in a room full of people who just kind of sits through the whole first-strike level of discourse that others are responding to, and then eventually speaks up in order to say something that bypasses all that and talks instead straight at the root of the whole overlying/underling structure of whatever it is . . . that person might be an intj. especially if they sound sort of detached and - well, detached about it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm going to take you on that offer, let's go on some tangent I find important.

You have been active on this forum for about a year now and since then you've made 2,667posts. It would seem to me that you're supposed to have a lot of knowledge (a false assumption of mine), but all this time you couldn't tell the difference between the ISTJ and INTJ? That's strange because the ENFP-INTJ is the most hyped up match up on this entire forum. I would assume that anybody who comes to PC would be actively searching out for their ideal match, it's what I did. It isn't the case, how could you be aware yet so blind?

As for how to find the INTJ, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@StingArt

I'm going to take you on that offer, let's go on some tangent I find important.

You have been active on this forum for about a year now and since then you've made 2,667posts. It would seem to me that you're supposed to have a lot of knowledge (a false assumption of mine), but all this time you couldn't tell the difference between the ISTJ and INTJ? That's strange because the ENFP-INTJ is the most hyped up match up on this entire forum. I would assume that anybody who comes to PC would be actively searching out for their ideal match, it's what I did. It isn't the case, how could you be aware yet so blind?

First of all, I don't exactly plan my life around finding my ideal match and, as INTJ's are so rare, I assumed the ISTJ I knew was an INTJ because 1. The shallow descriptions fit both 2. Si and Ni appear similar to me in conversation when I do now know the person well 3. They took the test at my request and mis-scored as INTJ.
This mistake on my own part made me assume all these "ENFP's and INTJ's are soulmates yo" claims were a load of bunk, so I began to ignore these.

Also-I have no pretense of extensive Myers Briggs knowledge, so it's on your own head that this "disappointment" lies.

Why are you being so rude?

As for how to find the INTJ, I'll let you know.
Okay.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I think my ENFP friend/former roomie used to think she annoyed me sometimes and she would ask me that..and I wasn't annoyed at all (usually I may have been concentrating on something and didn't respond to her as I normally do). We live hours away now and I never get to see her anymore :( but I always try to make plans to meet up. She was/is ridiculously amusing. She'd walk into the room and be like "happy song! I am singing a happy song!" and then make up a weird song with happy words like sunshine and care bears..and then do a really weird dance...would kill me all the time. So random. She was basically like Jess from New Girl. I even texted her when I watched that show when it first came on and she was like "you do not know how many people text me every week to say she did something that is just like me" lol and she was like that before the show.

Anyway, I digress from your question....my answer is, I don't know! Because I am not quite sure how people perceive me, so I wouldn't know how one would spot me as an INTJ. I guess the folks that are observing in a group, laughing to themselves at things others don't pick up on (not in a mean way, but maybe someone makes a sly comment that no one else catches), someone who is amused by your behavior and what you say but isn't terribly demonstrative about it - smirks, snickers, twinkle in the eye at you, etc., sounds pretty competent whenever they talk about whatever it is they talk about, usually stands out as pretty bright. I dunno.
that was perfect; thank you :)

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well for finding us you should have begin with how old you are. If you go to college/university and all that stuff. That will narrow the field to give a more precise answer.

Btw not all INTJ's are good people, it's relative. If you're an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about then you'll stay an idiot for us and we will never respect you. Maybe we will talk to you if we have to but you'll pretty much never really know unless you're really annoying us to the point where we lose self-control and become emotional. Then we use our lightsaber. vvvviooooom
I am nineteen and yes, attending university :)
I'm sure you're right about all INTJ's not being, though. Same with any demographic, really. INTJ doesn't equivocate genius (but there's still a correlation :wink: ).

And I have never annoyed anyone to the point you describe and pray I never drive anyone to this state.

·
Registered
710 Posts
First of all, I don't exactly plan my life around finding my ideal match and, as INTJ's are so rare, I assumed the ISTJ I knew was an INTJ because 1. The shallow descriptions fit both 2. Si and Ni appear similar to me in conversation when I do now know the person well 3. They took the test at my request and mis-scored as INTJ.
This mistake on my own part made me assume all these "ENFP's and INTJ's are soulmates yo" claims were a load of bunk, so I began to ignore these.

Also-I have no pretense of extensive Myers Briggs knowledge, so it's on your own head that this "disappointment" lies.

Why are you being so rude?
You gave me an offer, I indulged you in it. I'm not being rude, I wrote down what I observed and my questions that followed. I know you can take things very personal but bear in mind, at the same level I do it from an impersonal pespective. At least, untill I read the last word 'Okay' and I lost interest in writing down how to spot an INTJ. I felt you were being ungrateful towards my offer.

Just to let you know, if my answer to your post is going to result in an argument, you can have it, I don't like arguing over the internet regardess of who is right.

·
Registered
106 Posts
LOLS this thread makes my smile :happy: my mom, an ENFP, and I have a hard time understanding each other, and she thinks I am too unemotional and uptight. But I think I get along much better with her than with my ESFJ dad. Maybe because I find her childlike excitement and her enthusiasm to be rather rejuvenating and gives me a fresh outlook on life. I always look to her for support and encouragement.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Hm, so you're just starting a new year at college, there's bound to be some INTJs around...

My own experience with ENFPs is that I tend to like them and will talk to them and them alone, at least the nice ones. :p :) I will even go out of my way to set up conversations with them. :p

How to spot an INTJ though: usually quiet, sometimes doesn't know what to say or trips over words, may not participate much, probably be the person that you think you know but, on thinking about it more, you realize you've never really heard their opinion on anything, probably see them smile awkwardly or dismissively at small talk.

I think there should be some pretty easy tests between INTJ and ISTJ, disliking small talk being one of them, and their propensity to prefer discussing theories and big world ideas from a kind of detached perspective ... for an INTJ, ideas, theories, deep discussions are like coming across an oasis with the most beautiful water in a huge hot sandy desert. It only takes a few new perspectives and ideas thrown and me and I'm suddenly churning through new windows of perspectives. ISTJs don't find them energizing at all.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The simplest way to tell the difference between ISTJ and INTJ is to look at how they view rules & authority. An ISTJ may complain about the rules but they will follow them wothout question. They will have respect for authority figures and will always defer to them. An INTJ will only follow the rules if it suits them. If they don't agree with the rules or an authority figure they have no problems questioning them or completely ignoring them.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
beeyootiful. @luemb nailed it.
Same goes for some INFJs so I wouldn't rely on that too much..

But it is true. I usually keep my opinions to myself.. I just don't want to start this tiring argument.. I usually don't like thinking about ideas externally.

How to spot an INTJ? well, first of all, when an INTJ walks into the room there is this storm and rain pouring down from the cieling.. just kidding. The only thing I can think of is that when I'm having long discussions with people we somehow always manage to get to topics that have to do with science or something like that. No one brings up the subject, we just sort of slip into it. If I'll think of anything else I'll let you know :)

EDIT: Ah, got another one: in group talks, you may notice that we are quite and stuff like most introverts, but that's not because we are shy. We just don't have anything to say that we deem relevant or worth saying... but when you reach a topic that we are experts in- you better tread lightly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
*in which we are experts*

Anyways, i would avoid attempting to type people by mannerisms alone. I can be quite loud when excited, for example, and so if you were talking about mtg i'm going to take over the conversation unless someone has the knowledge to stop me (wt which point debates ensue and i get louder because i'm really excited)

then i get tired and dissappear for a while.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
The simplest way to tell the difference between ISTJ and INTJ is to look at how they view rules & authority. An ISTJ may complain about the rules but they will follow them wothout question. They will have respect for authority figures and will always defer to them. An INTJ will only follow the rules if it suits them. If they don't agree with the rules or an authority figure they have no problems questioning them or completely ignoring them.
Living with ISTJ sis...this is so very, very true. I hold back more often now but when she complains (about the same stuff i would typically pick up on in whatever situation) I always think/sometimes say "well, then, why did you do it?" "why didn't you ask them about it?" "why didn't you say no?" "why didn't you tell them your opinion on how it should be done differently?" but she hard follows procedures and rules. Never wants to rock the boat, even though she sees things are inefficient, dumb, etc. Spot on IMO.
Of course, her side of it is wondering why I can't just nod and smile and go along with things...as she has said to me a number of times. :)

And RE: @DeathRipper and ninja theory..yes, except somehow my friends start loving me and I keep them on their toes about whether I will show up to something or not sometimes. So I arrive and they all yell "EYESOPEN!!!!" and I say "uh..hi!" and go sit down somewhere.. And kind of think "what next?" because that is a tall order of a greeting to live up to. :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
for an INTJ, ideas, theories, deep discussions are like coming across an oasis with the most beautiful water in a huge hot sandy desert. It only takes a few new perspectives and ideas thrown and me and I'm suddenly churning through new windows of perspectives. ISTJs don't find them energizing at all.
^^ Pretty much that. An INTJ will have a theory for everything, and they will tell you what works/doesn't work about your idea, even if you didn't ask. S-types in general seem to have little patience for that kind of thing.

S's tend to be more concrete and literal, too. Sometimes my S-type friends will interpret something I intended ironically as a completely literal statement.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You gave me an offer, I indulged you in it. I'm not being rude, I wrote down what I observed and my questions that followed. I know you can take things very personal but bear in mind, at the same level I do it from an impersonal pespective. At least, untill I read the last word 'Okay' and I lost interest in writing down how to spot an INTJ. I felt you were being ungrateful towards my offer.

Just to let you know, if my answer to your post is going to result in an argument, you can have it, I don't like arguing over the internet regardess of who is right.
Don't overestimate your insight, sir.
Also, I am not taking it personally :). I can observe -objectively- that you are being rude without taking it to heart.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hm, so you're just starting a new year at college, there's bound to be some INTJs around...

My own experience with ENFPs is that I tend to like them and will talk to them and them alone, at least the nice ones. :p :) I will even go out of my way to set up conversations with them. :p

How to spot an INTJ though: usually quiet, sometimes doesn't know what to say or trips over words, may not participate much, probably be the person that you think you know but, on thinking about it more, you realize you've never really heard their opinion on anything, probably see them smile awkwardly or dismissively at small talk.

I think there should be some pretty easy tests between INTJ and ISTJ, disliking small talk being one of them, and their propensity to prefer discussing theories and big world ideas from a kind of detached perspective ... for an INTJ, ideas, theories, deep discussions are like coming across an oasis with the most beautiful water in a huge hot sandy desert. It only takes a few new perspectives and ideas thrown and me and I'm suddenly churning through new windows of perspectives. ISTJs don't find them energizing at all.
This is him alright! ^_^
It's so refreshing to connect with someone that not only finds the world fascinating but has a complimentary approach to understanding it!

Do you have any advice as to bridging the chasm between small talk and philosophy? Is something along the lines of "You know what Professor X said about N? Well, I've been thinking, and I've cone to some new conclusions which are ______. What say you, sir?"
Or is there an even more efficient approach?
He has gone our of his way to speak with me, though; which, as I have come to understand it, is not something they do with everyone and their Mom.

Thank you. :) :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts