Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Nobody cares about your grade in Gym.

2. The TV is usually showing a game show, a Discovery channel documentary, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Doctor Who, or Star Trek. If anything else is on, the television is avoided and nobody bothers to change the channel.

3. During the aforementioned game shows, they answer the questions more accurately than the contestants. But they refuse your prods to sign up to be a Jeopardy contestant, instead telling you to do it.

4. They actually care about your odd obsession with MBTI, and they're not trying to "fix" it. However, my INTJ mom still wants to know what I want to accomplish with it, though I keep saying that I just want to understand it.

5. When you start doing odd experiments with plants, they either leave you alone or try to figure out how they work.

6. The TV remote is regularly lost, but whatever book they're currently reading never is because they always have it in their hands.

7. When they attempt to describe what they do at work, you end up staring at them with a blank expression regardless of whether or not you are an NT as well.

8. School does not equate education, and they know it.

9. Valentine's Day goes by without them noticing.

10. Three words: Energetic physics discussions.

All true of my folks.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Dad: No, the bubbles in your soda are not "air", they are bubbles of CO2. Hence, "the term carbonation".

Brother: But isn't there CO2 in the atmosphere?

Other Brother: "Atmosphere" and "air" aren't necessarily the same.

Mom: Why can't we just eat dinner in peace?

Me: *Reading math textbook*

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I once tried explaining the mass-energy equivalence equation to my mom. And not a single thing was learned that day.
My dad is a design-engineer INTP. He's the one whose work makes the question mark appear above my head.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts

2. The TV is usually showing a game show, a Discovery channel documentary, Mythbusters, Dirty Jobs, Doctor Who, or Star Trek. If anything else is on, the television is avoided and nobody bothers to change the channel.

3. During the aforementioned game shows, they answer the questions more accurately than the contestants. But they refuse your prods to sign up to be a Jeopardy contestant, instead telling you to do it.

4. They actually care about your odd obsession with MBTI, and they're not trying to "fix" it. However, my INTJ mom still wants to know what I want to accomplish with it, though I keep saying that I just want to understand it.

5. When you start doing odd experiments with plants, they either leave you alone or try to figure out how they work.

6. The TV remote is regularly lost, but whatever book they're currently reading never is because they always have it in their hands.

7. When they attempt to describe what they do at work, you end up staring at them with a blank expression regardless of whether or not you are an NT as well.

All true of my folks.
Hahaha, that sounds like my mom, even though she's not an NT. INFJs can be kind of NT-like, though. Also, she's a scientist.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha, that sounds like my mom, even though she's not an NT. INFJs can be kind of NT-like, though. Also, she's a scientist.
You're lucky to have an INFJ parent. They'd be understanding toward an INFP and logical enough to keep their feet on the ground.

I would never change the types of my parents, though. Who can beat having a mom INTJ and a dad INTP (for a child INTP)?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Parents are nf and sf. When asking them to think outside the box and question what they're told, they get mad and ask why I'm being disrespectful and why we can never just have a conversation without me getting "all philosophical". And meanwhile I'm thinking "How can you not care about learning the truth?"

FML...

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
I read some summaries for different types to figure out what my parents might be. As I don't relate to them enough to really have something to add here.
I think both of them are ISTs.

QQ

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I can't relate to any of this, unfortunately :( If I had to guess, I'd say my parents are ESFJ and ENFJ. Oy vey.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I'm an INTP parent with INTJ and ISTJ parents.

I'm a very laid-back parent...I encourage my children to be independent thinkers (my mother HATES that, lol) and "do their own thing".

My daughter tested as ISTJ (like my mother - go figure) and loves structure. My mother always says that my daughter is more responsible and practical than I am, and that I'm too easygoing. Whatever. lol

·
Registered
3,301 Posts

All true of my folks.

I wish my parents were more like that. I got stuck with two SJs.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well, my INTJ dad tends to forget my birthdays. It was kinda embarrassing when my dad and I both forgot my last birthday and spend the first half hour of the day just doing our daily routine until my mother came down and congratulated me all of a sudden. Instead of giving me presents on such holidays, he gives me presents when I actually did something or otherwise deserved it (perhaps as a form of positive reinforcement xD). For example: the day after I told him I was interested in studying psychology he brought me a DSM-IV-TR from his work and encouraged me to read and criticise it. He mostly gives me useful and relevant gifts. He is also one of the few people who wants to debate me for extended periods of time and we never have to make small talk either. The best moments are when we are watching the news or a documentary on TV, although we don't actually watch it like other people do... we narrate and discuss it as if we were sports commentators.

So, having a NT parent really is good for a NT child (or at least it has proven to be good for me). :laughing:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Well, my INTJ dad tends to forget my birthdays. It was kinda embarrassing when my dad and I both forgot my last birthday and spend the first half hour of the day just doing our daily routine until my mother came down and congratulated me all of a sudden. Instead of giving me presents on such holidays, he gives me presents when I actually did something or otherwise deserved it (perhaps as a form of positive reinforcement xD). For example: the day after I told him I was interested in studying psychology he brought me a DSM-IV-TR from his work and encouraged me to read and criticise it. He mostly gives me useful and relevant gifts. He is also one of the few people who wants to debate me for extended periods of time and we never have to make small talk either. The best moments are when we are watching the news or a documentary on TV, although we don't actually watch it like other people do... we narrate and discuss it as if we were sports commentators.

So, having a NT parent really is good for a NT child (or at least it has proven to be good for me). :laughing:
Can your dad adopt me?

I'll live in the closet or under the bed and I can hunt bears for food.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts