Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sick and tired of it. It's like if you a fictional character who has done bad things, people think you actually support it in real life. I get it, you know. I've watched horror movies and thought, "Hey, that's not cool. Or that's not baddass." but on the other hand, I realize that it never actually happened. So when other people are cheering movie villains on, I'm not going to say they would be okay with a real person who's that bad.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
That would be people finding meaning where we never see it. If we like something, we like it, yet everyone gets the impression of "Oh, they must like it because they relate to them or because they support their cause!" Nah, we just like it cause it's cool. I've never had anyone say this kind of thing to me, but I get what you mean. I do gravitate towards the evil side in games sometimes...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah..well, I think what I meant is that some people think "So you would do that? That's bad!" but I think the problem is that just because a person says "I could see myself maybe hypothetically doing that" it doesn't mean he/she neccessarily would--though it is still a possibility. You should keep yourself open to those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well if you see yourself doing something, that means that in your thoughts you are ready to do it. Actually in my thoughts I sometimes pre-play something I'm going to do.

But sometimes things I imagine are those that I never would do in real life. I sort of keep those things separate.

As for evil fictional characters, Well I may like some, but it's more because of their inner strength not because I would condone what they do or be ok with it in real life. I sort of know I'd never do what they do, but I guess feel a bit jealous because they get to do whatever they want and still feel ok and I wish a bit I could be like them too. Because life seems dangerous but pretty exciting for them. But I know I never will be like that because of my moral convictions.

It's like feeling "I like how you are but I still will kill/jail/defend myself/run away/whatever if you cross the line toward me". (<--If this were in real life. But if no, my head is my own and I can think whatever I want. It's not harming anyone.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well don't know about you but me and my friends often joke about things like "what would you do now instead of that guy?" but we mostly answer with some dumb joke so we all laugh.But again,i always think what would i do if i had some kind of powers like that villain,whatever i may think that would still be just a thought,i have no heart to harm people,some other people just don't get things like that yet :rolleyes:

·
Registered
751 Posts
This sounds like the 'metalhead = Satanist/Nazi/Godless heathen' sort of thing.

It also reminds me of Light from Death Note, if anyone's read that. Sure, what he's doing is wrong, but I think there's few people can say that they haven't had the wish that they could 'wipe the world clean' so to speak, simply click one's fingers and get rid of all the 'bad' people. Plus, the guy's a feckin' GENIUS. The extent of his planning is just astounding, you can't help admiring him to an extent.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This sounds like the 'metalhead = Satanist/Nazi/Godless heathen' sort of thing.

It also reminds me of Light from Death Note, if anyone's read that. Sure, what he's doing is wrong, but I think there's few people can say that they haven't had the wish that they could 'wipe the world clean' so to speak, simply click one's fingers and get rid of all the 'bad' people. Plus, the guy's a feckin' GENIUS. The extent of his planning is just astounding, you can't help admiring him to an extent.
Didn't read it but i watched it, good anime :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
I enjoy watching crazy violent scenes from movies but not the news. I'm ok with it when its not real because then, its just like Art ( I guess :tongue: ) like seeing vampires suck their girl friends.. So arousing. ( When its a movie ) Dark sides have their beauty it might be part of our complicated sexual structure ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Every time I read Harry Potter, my wand arm starts to itch and I'm overcome with a desire to go batshit insane and start a magical genocide against some relatively attractive British people.

Me and Voldemort are bros for life. Just saying.

Honestly, I don't understand the whole "if you like this and this character you want to do that and that" logic. Sure, it's a bit alarming if you're ready to vote a fictional serial rapist for president, but fiction is imaginary for a reason. Often in film, literature and other fictional arts the villains are much more exciting than the protagonists. They have more mystery, sass and danger to them, darker undertones and thrilling details to their entity. It's surprising how often villains are actually much better and more believable characters. Starry-eyed, brave, innocent and pure-hearted traditional heroes with a tragic past and a deep need for justice just get boring after a while. Not to mention their clumsy, sarcastic and yet lovable sidekick(s) and the charming but mysterious love interest...

This is the literature student in me talking, though. In short, if you're sane enough to see the line between reality and imagination, it's cool to like any character. You don't have to appreciate or approve of the things they do. As a person, Voldemort was absolutely horrible for the things he did, and deserved everything he got in the end - and more. However, I still enjoy his character itself in the books. Not his wrongdoings, but the combination of his interesting past, his personality and insanity, his motives and his general essence.

In real life liking serial killers, dictators and people of that sort definitely tells something about you. But liking a fictional character is different. In real life the evil person is just one of many, a part of a vast, everchanging world that you can't even fully comprehend, where nothing is certain and goes as planned, where the big picture is much bigger than you. Everything is real, the people around you and their feelings and pain. A fictional world entirely another thing. It's like a numbed down dollhouse, where everything is just imaginary play, where you can distinct the whole picture with ease and where the whole world and universe moves along one uniting plot. You're not a part of it. You know exactly what's going on. Even children include bad things in their games: in their imaginary world shooting the bad guy is simple and easy and done without pain. Beating up the bad guy's henchmen is effortless and forgotten almost immediately after the game has ended. But would these children do that in real life, hurt other people, living, breathing creatures like that or just laugh while witnessing it? I doubt it.

Wow, this got really long and repetitive... Sorry about that. :D

Reactions: Sayonara

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hahha I totally understand.
I mean, I tend to sympathize more with the villain of any story. Mainly because we are often given a backstory of them and I always end up feeling sorry for them and have the 'Come here and let me love you' kind of feeling.

The most recent ones is Loki (The Avengers) I just want to give him a biiiiig hug >u< But when I tell my friends he's my favourite character out of the movie, they all give me "What is wrong with you?" look, and tell me I shouldn't be liking him because he is the 'bad guy' .___.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
That would be people finding meaning where we never see it. If we like something, we like it, yet everyone gets the impression of "Oh, they must like it because they relate to them or because they support their cause!" Nah, we just like it cause it's cool. I've never had anyone say this kind of thing to me, but I get what you mean. I do gravitate towards the evil side in games sometimes...

EXACTLY! This kind of assumption with movies or novels drives me nuts, like yes I can enjoy things about characters I don't necessarily relate to or something along those lines.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
lol I like horror movies
Me too. If only i can find one that isn't totally predictable. Every horror movie i've seen can be predicted from beginning to end, so...not so interesting.

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Me too. If only i can find one that isn't totally predictable. Every horror movie i've seen can be predicted from beginning to end, so...not so interesting.
Hmm, even the classics from the late 60's - 80's? I think that was the golden age of horror with an actual plot.

A more recent horror movie from the past ten years (2001, I think) that I thought was decent was Session 9.

I also like some of the Japanese horror like Ringu and Spiral.

Also, if you can stand it, Martyrs and L'Intereur are great (but grisly) French New Wave horror from recent years.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Hmm, even the classics from the late 60's - 80's? I think that was the golden age of horror with an actual plot.

A more recent horror movie from the past ten years (2001, I think) that I thought was decent was Session 9.

I also like some of the Japanese horror like Ringu and Spiral.

Also, if you can stand it, Martyrs and L'Intereur are great (but grisly) French New Wave horror from recent years.
Yes the classics from the 60's were the best, and agreed, there was a plot. I remember watching some of the vampire classics that were awesome, not like the stupid vampire movies they make today. I remember begging to stay up with my older sister to watch scary movies. The night always ended the same with me crawling in bed with my parents ; D . No wonder they usually said no...but yeah, the old black and white horror classics were the best.

I read somewhere here tonight you were watching the sound of music. My Mom's favorite. I think its ok, although when i go home which isn't often, mother breaks out this movie for us to watch, yawns. She still hasn't gotten the hint it isn't a favorite of mine. Oh well, the things we do for people we care about.

Reactions: Thalassa

·
Registered
456 Posts
Heh, been there lol

It kind of annoys me too, but then I just simply explain to them that it's pretty much certain traits I like, and often wish I had within myself.

For example, if I cheer when a villain blows up a town, it's not cause he blew up the town, it's because he did it without second-guessing himself. He just has the gall to do what he thinks is right (misguided tho it may be) and ignores what other people think.

I really need to do that sometimes. ><;

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I like Poison Ivy from Batman and I am constantly internally cheering for her throughout but that doesn't mean that I'm going to poison people or decide to rob a bank. I don't support her causes, but I think her character is very intriguing and she's gorgeous even if she is an animated character.

Me and Voldemort are bros for life. Just saying.

Voldemort was absolutely horrible for the things he did, and deserved everything he got in the end - and more. However, I still enjoy his character itself in the books. Not his wrongdoings, but the combination of his interesting past, his personality and insanity, his motives and his general essence.
I am slightly the same way with Harry Potter. I liked Bellatrix Lestrange and she was a crazy bitch. I didn't support or like the things that she did to people but her backstory was interesting and the fact that she was in love with Voldemort and had been harboring this love for him was extremely fascinating.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I always cheer for the villian. Joker from the Dark Knight anyone? They're more interesting. Chaotic and unpredictable, not like the protagonist, who will predictably do the the right thing. The archetypal hero is rather boring in my opinion. I prefer anti-heroes over any other character type though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts