Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AHHH I PRESSED THE BACK BUTTON & LOST THIS WHOLE THREAD!:

So how many of you guys feel like you’re more nostalgic than most people you know? Because I reeally feel like this. I wonder if 4s have a tendency toward heightened nostalgia, since I’ve read that many 4s specifically feel nostalgic for a time in their past when they felt that the grass was greener, and (obviously) we’re an emotional bunch. So I’m curious: what is your experience with nostalgia, and what’s your take on that?

Feel free to be as ranty or tangent-y as you want :)

I’m thinking about this because I’m spending my final night in the last house I grew up in before moving to college. Everything is half packed up, and I feel uncomfortable, sad, and even a bit angry. I feel like I’m losing the most important place of solace that I had, and that I assumed would be around for way longer. It’s actually a bit odd because the time I spent living here was a NIGHTMARE, but somehow, coming home for (occasional) weekends from my university was soo comforting – being around my old things and whatnot. I also just despise change, which probably plays into my nostalgic tendencies…

I've also noticed that even when a situation has nothing to do with me, I STILL get nostalgic. For example, when my boyfriend’s roommates were graduating and moving out, I was SO sad. I wasn’t even friends with them, though I’d been semi-awkward acquaintances with them since they were little freshmen. My bf, on the other hand, wasn’t fazed that they were moving out. He said he’d be able to reach them if he wanted to (yeah - on the other side of the country or across the world!).

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Yes, of course. I'm ridiculously nostalgic! I can relate to much of this. I remember when I was a kid, my grandparents told me they were moving out of their house, and were going to live in the mountains. Lol. I was devastated. They were like, "Don't worry, we'll still see you often!" and I thought to myself (but had the sense not to say it), "No, I just don't want this HOUSE to go away!" Rofl. Not just the house, but the whole situation, the atmosphere, the dynamics, everything I'd always known.

I got really sad when a fling/friend of mine was moving out of his apartment, no longer to live with his roommates, as I'd had so many good times there and I was just like omg it's gonna be gone. And then it was and it's not really a big deal but it really jolted me at first.

I think this may have something to do with the Fi-Si loop in an INFP, too, though.

Also I will definitely replay old situations, relationships, whatever... in my mind... missing them, longing for them, hurting for them, wondering why I ended it. But humans do a great job of recreating the past, and some of us more than others are prone to romanticizing. I try to get through this by reminding myself that the way I'm remembering things is not 100% accurate, it's not the real thing I'm missing, I'm just chasing something I can never truly catch up to...

·
Registered
33 Posts
For me personally, nostalgia is both incredibly painful and wonderful. Nostalgia is very common for me to experience, in fact, sometimes I will even get nostalgic towards times when I was unhappy (weird right?). For an example, the other day I saw my old high school and I felt this intense longing to go back; even though I hated school and was bullied all the time. So I completely understand what you mean by "losing the most important place of solace that I had".

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I'm probably the most nostalgic person I know. My sister may be a close runner-up (and is also a 4).

It's to the point that I often wonder if there is like a filter that most people have that keeps the nostalgia kind of at bay most of the time so that they aren't just full-on weeping during Bring It On. If such a filter exists, I am missing it. It's ridiculous. It's not even in a 'grass is greener' type way though...I just feel like my grasp of time is so thin, and maybe time itself is really thin, but the line between this-is-happening-now and this-happened-then gets super blurry whenever there's a sight/smell/taste/sound that occupies both of those times in my life...does that make sense? I just get confused and I feel like I'm torn between the two times and I guess there's a yearning there, but not so much that I would foresake the present or future for it...I guess it seems that everything I think/feel/experience never really goes away, but is behind a really thin wall that just gets demolished whenever something reminds me of that time (which is often).

I think I get full-on bowled over by nostalgia approximately 4 times a day, though there are days in which I spend basically the full 24 hours completely in a nostalgia fog. It happens. I can't control it. It almost hurts my heart and heals it at the same time. I don't know.

This is a whole lot of rambling, but I think about nostalgia a lot and experience nostalgia a lot, and I still haven't quite gotten my thoughts straight about it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I have nostalgia all the time. It's a really powerful, beautiful, painful feeling. What I enjoy/suffer from the most is the intense feeling of longing for a past/life/experience I never had. I imagine a beautiful childhood home, or an immaculate and magical nature landscape that I used to play in, that didn't really exist/wasn't my real experience.

I feel so much desire for those things, and the "memories" are so vivid.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but the line between this-is-happening-now and this-happened-then gets super blurry whenever there's a sight/smell/taste/sound that occupies both of those times in my life
Since you said this, I wanted to ask if you ever experience this phenomenon that I've tried to explain to people recently, but they've said they've never felt it. When it happens, you suddenly feel like you did at some past time in your life...like you'll suddenly think, "Whoa, I just felt like I did when I was 14!" It's hard to explain. It reminds me of when you smell something from a long time ago, and it takes you back to that time, except I don't know what causes it...Idk if any of that makes sense haha

Also, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Yes, yes, and yes. Though it's odd, I'm often quite nostalgic for years in my life that I perceived as hellish at the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts