Personality Cafe banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Psilocin,
For some reason, that baby is incredibly intimidating and makes me take the things you say twice as seriously.

Off topic. But alas, that seems to happen quite often. Might as well be my fault for once.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not to be rude or anything, I'm afraid it's still going to sound rude, but I still feel like saying it, and I don't think it will really be that rude if I stress that I don't mean anything ill with it, considering this is not like in a Tolkien book, at least like I've read it is in a Tolkien book, and at least I don't think this is like in a Tolkien book, where you can see this really clear rhytm where, among other combinations, a well meant deed that isn't good automatically becomes evil on the whole; but in any case, in relevance to the original post of this thread, in a way you could say that you, izzie, by criticizing people for being intellectually lazy are by your own definition exactly that yourself as you're, kind of, in a way, criticizing people for not having the same understanding of the world as you have yourself which is the understanding that not everyone has the same understanding of the world that you have yourself. I mean. For someone out there, I'm pretty sure the case is so that there is their truth, and there are the wrong truths of others. If you say this truth is wrong, then it's word against word, and in such a case, considering that the concept of objectivity is absurd[1], at least I think it is, then you are just as much as this other person failing to recognize "that other people have different upbringing, different experiences, different preferences, different modes of communication, different inner expressions, different interests and different applications of logic [than] yours."

@[email protected]

In any case, to make it clear one last time, especially since none of the posts above have been very positive, I don't mean any ill by this. It was just what struck me reading your post, and it is really just another observation of something that completely makes sense to me, on second thought collapsing on itself, like everything, in accordance to at least some modern philosophy, par example so-called deconstruction, seems to do. Which is kind of frustrating. Or fun. Or neither. What do I know. But I can empathize with what you're saying, very much still, as I have many times been frustrated by people who don't even want to try to see things from the viewpoint of others. At least once today. But then again. What can you do ;_;.

[1] When I see the world, I see the world as a function of being myself. When a bird sees the world, the bird sees the world as this individual bird sees the world. And when a hypothetical God sees the world, he/she/it sees the world as himself/herself/itself. (Unless you're ominpotent, I guess. And God is in some religions exactly that. I guess, in that case, objectivity is, perhaps, not as absurd as original thought, but then again I'm not really that religious, though that isn't really quite true either, but nevermind and nevertheless:) By talking about objectivity we are talking about a world that no one has access to, because no one sees it like it really is but actually as themselves; and this is, thus, perhaps, talking about such a world, maybe, what do I know, at least in this conjecture, absurd.
Rofl. Sorry, I also don't mean anything bad by this, I promise you. But (again) sorry, I can't pay attention to the thread because I'm too busy laughing at how hard it is to read your posts. So many commas, so few periods... I dub thee, "Sir Tangential."

Carry on!

Edit:
How the hell did you manage to give me brainfreeze with a post on a forum?
ROFL. Leave it to an ISTP to say it so simply, that could fit in the ISTP one-liners thread. :laughing:

Edit 2: This is the best thread ever.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I just happen to see the world as having too many complexities.

Perhaps psychology, sociology, philosophy are more connected than what people think.

Maybe, maybe...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Do you want to know what I call 'intellectually lazy'?

It's not considering that other people have different upbringing, different experiences, different preferences, different modes of communication, different inner expressions, different interests and different applications of logic to yours.
In the spirit of what you are saying, and to show we all have different opinions too:

For me intellectual laziness is failing to discover new ways of thinking, looking at things from different point of views or innovating simply because one assumes things *are* one way, they have always been and it's comfortable. Progress comes from the constant challenge of old ways of thinking.

I might be way off the mark here, but your definition of intellectual laziness sounds to me more like a rant at people who don't immediately acknowledge "your" different upbringing, experiences, preferences, mode of communication etc. when putting a point across and dare to express an opinion without a constant reference to "you" and how "you" see the world.

Seriously, I don't see what is the point for anyone to seek more knowledge or find your way in an argument by being too quick to pass judgment on just anybody else and without at least trying to be a bit more objective in your position.

Call it a value judgment on my part as an INFP, but hey, certain consequences of such lack in progression have already appeared as empirical evidence. I don't have to provide empirical evidence for everything that goes back to the basics of understanding human nature, simply because I am not your mother.
This is coming across to me as if you were saying you understand human nature so well and it's so "basic" you don't even have to provide any evidence of what you say if someone disagrees with you. It's in clear contradiction to what you said about "intellectual laziness", in my opinion. Perhaps other people need empirical evidence because they are "different", have different experiences, modes of communication, preferences etc...

If you think that you can only find all the answers, enough degree of intellect from just your university qualifications, from just reading philosophical or scientific textbooks, then you are seriously delusional. There's more to the world than the comfortable box you have created for yourself.

*Annoyed*
I don't who is that directed to, but it seems to me like you are getting "personal" there :laughing:

No, I agree, there is more in life than theory books, I doubt anyone assumes they can learn everything from studying.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Not to be rude or anything, I'm afraid it's still going to sound rude, but I still feel like saying it, and I don't think it will really be that rude if I stress that I don't mean anything ill with it, considering this is not like in a Tolkien book, at least like I've read it is in a Tolkien book, and at least I don't think this is like in a Tolkien book, .....
lol bless you, you are cute!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Okay, stepping aside of the drama/soap opera, I think izzie is correct on some level. I really dislike it when people have to think that they somehow know better simply because another person has a different view point on certain viewpoints.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
No, I agree, there is more in life than theory books, I doubt anyone assumes they can learn everything from studying.
Certain people have a tendency to act like they do.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
In the spirit of what you are saying, and to show we all have different opinions too:

For me intellectual laziness is failing to discover new ways of thinking, looking at things from different point of views or innovating simply because one assumes things *are* one way, they have always been and it's comfortable. Progress comes from the constant challenge of old ways of thinking.

I might be way off the mark here, but your definition of intellectual laziness sounds to me more like a rant at people who don't immediately acknowledge "your" different upbringing, experiences, preferences, mode of communication etc. when putting a point across and dare to express an opinion without a constant reference to "you" and how "you" see the world.
''Progress comes from the constant challenge of old ways of thinking'' At least you got that point.

This is coming across to me as if you were saying you understand human nature so well and it's so "basic" you don't even have to provide any evidence of what you say if someone disagrees with you. It's in clear contradiction to what you said about "intellectual laziness", in my opinion. Perhaps other people need empirical evidence because they are "different", have different experiences, modes of communication, preferences etc...
I was being my sarcastic self.

I meant that at times I can be too lazy to give empirical evidence for something I might see as too basic.

Regardless of whatever motive anyone assume I had from posting it, I just wanted to provoke people to think. That's all I care about.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I know I should've been less over dramatic in the presentation, I apologize for it (well I apologized for that already) I can be so dramatic and manipulative, it's bad I know -_-

However, I just care that people are encouraged in seeing the point of progress and how to be better in it, even if they dislike me for it.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts