Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You get the feeling every time you look up at the sky. Every time you see Star Trek, Firefly or some other sci-fi series or movie.

You will never travel at warp speed.

You will never fire laser guns.

You will never be able to travel in space.

How does that make you feel?

·
Banned
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, to further disappoint you:

You will never explore the far corners of the earth.
You will never be a pirate or a ninja or a viking.
You will never fight an epic sword fight.
You will never shout: "This is Sparta!" immediately before kicking a Persian messenger down a well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
You will never engage in a shootout with foreign spies.
You will never have a fight on top of a moving train.
You will never use a jet pack.
You will never get super powers.
You will never own a lightsaber.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was born in 1951 and have been an avid science fiction reader since, well about two days after they invented paper.

I always knew that I would see the first man walk on the moon, but never realized that I would also see the last.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I was born in 1951 and have been an avid science fiction reader since, well about two days after they invented paper.

I always knew that I would see the first man walk on the moon, but never realized that I would also see the last.
I was going over the history of space flight with my students today during our Science class and I must admit I got a bit teary eyed when I was telling them about the recent end of the space shuttle program. But I did express my hope that it will be brought back at some point in the future and exploration will continue.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was going over the history of space flight with my students today during our Science class and I must admit I got a bit teary eyed when I was telling them about the recent end of the space shuttle program. But I did express my hope that it will be brought back at some point in the future and exploration will continue.
There is always hope for another space program. Maybe your students will see it.

I can understand your sadness whenever I remember that thirty years ago it wasn't conceivable that NASA would sink to today's obscurity. For a lot of my life, the thought that I would actually travel to space was a significent possibility. Today that dream is nothing but another line item in a lengthy list of disappointments.

Reactions: ImminentThunder

·
Banned
649 Posts
What a horribly sad conclusion. I have always wanted to build a time machine and travel to a part of spacetime no other human could have possibly gone to. I've always wanted to see what else could be out there in the far ends of the universe..:crying:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
or a viking.
Actually, there are a lot of vikings on Earth, every people who lives in a seaside city can use that word. Viking basically means: from the port.

I'm a viking age reenactor. And I've lived my whole life on two different seaside cities, so I'm thrice the viking :p

·
Banned
2,233 Posts
You get the feeling every time you look up at the sky. Every time you see Star Trek, Firefly or some other sci-fi series or movie.

I don't have a link or a "confirmed" source, but rumors emerged several years ago that mathematicians had unlocked the algorithm for warp speed/hyperspace/intergalactic travel. An interstellar vessel is probable within the next 50 years. However, it is too costly to construct--especially in the current economy. Hypothetically speaking, when we do venture to the stars it will most likely be the Alpha Centauri system (featued in Avatar) as it is the closest system around.

Oh, yeah. This. Feelings.
Um...I don't really care.

·
Registered
923 Posts
O yeee of little faith. I have video games to simulate those things until I die or I'm able to go into space myself. That and write some kick-ass novels.

Back to firing lasers at warp-speed in space :/

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

The moment I read this, it had ISTx written all over it. I will prove you wrong.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's good that the shuttle program is dead. I believe Von Braun had his misgivings about the shuttle program, something about it chaining humanity to the earth for the rest of eternity. Now if only some money would be diverted to rocket programs to travel deeper into space and push the frontier, to get people excited about space again.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts

you have shown no evidence to your claims :(

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My whole world is falling apart now! i wanted to buy a firefly class spaceship and gather together a rag tag group of virtuous space cowboys, I will just have to stay at home, surfing the internet with my pants around my ankles soaked in sweat...again

Reactions: Borrowed Lunacy
1 - 20 of 85 Posts