Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What type are you?
2) Which one of these do you see yourself in the most?

Inside-Out Approach

-I don't expect that what shows on the outside will necessarily reflect who I am.
-I spend time trying to figure out who I am internally so I can be authentic when expressing myself. I don't think anyone else can ever tell me who I am.

Outside-In Approach

-Sometimes who we think we are internally can be very different from how we actually are in reality.
-I think a lot can be learned about people by observing them. Sometimes I learn about myself when others point things out that I never realized.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
1: INTP ( Ne>Si. Fe somewhere. maybe. maybe not)
2: Outside-in approach.

·
Registered
876 Posts
ESFP
Out-in a little more than In-out

·
Registered
363 Posts
ENTP

Little bit of both. I am prone to long bouts of introspection and therefore have great intrapersonal intelligence but I also like to know what others think about me on occasion, just because I'm a bit egocentric and if I enjoy thinking deeply about something, then I LOVE thinking in depth about myself

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,236 Posts
My approach to identity? What identity? I have a driver's license. Do you mean persona?

Oh. Maybe you mean Myers-Briggs. There are eight cognitive functions to work with. I have myself pretty well checked out ... until I blow it. You? Much looser. I'd have to get to know you. I'd look for dominant CFs. The result has to be statistical. I'm very unsure of the people in my real life, but there are CFs to eliminate. Oh. One exception for others: if they tell me. Then I can be free to check that out for consistency. I believe the newer one is to this the more likely they will misjudge themselves.

One thing to check out others: visual. There is a school of thought that claims representative visuals are quick and dirty clues. Actors? Jeff Goldblum is said to be INTP. Many are F's. Makes for better drama. Some actors are so good at facial expression you can tell what's going on instantly. Try ... what's his name ... Harrison Ford.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
1. ENTP
2. I don't particularly identify with either of these, but definitely more the Outside-In approach

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
ENTJ
I'm not understanding why this is a binary choice and not something of at least a sliding scale? Your identity is shaped by your values, how you recognize yourself. Identity can also be in what you choose to portray to others (which may also vary from group to group, situation to situation).
Is your identity, then, not a combination of both "outside and inside" and not just outside to inside or vice verse?

Reactions: BigApplePi

·
Registered
365 Posts
1) ISTP
2) Until recently, I found myself believing whatever people told me I was. Right now, I'm trying to figure out my own identity, separate from what other people have told me. I've been realizing that a lot of what I've been told were lies mixed with truth. Because I observe people and draw conclusions about them based on my observations truthfully, I was dumb enough to believe them. I thought they would be as honest as I am in this way.

·
Registered
357 Posts
1. INFP

2. Inside-Out. Although it can go both ways. The inside can give you insight to how you are consciously and how you think of yourself. How I perceive myself and how others perceive me is different. "I think therefore I am". I live by this motto where you can become anything if you think you are. Your real personality lies in your own consciousness and thoughts. Now the outside approaches with more of your unconscious habits that you don't really think about. This doesn't really make up who you really are though. Your personality is very fluid and who you authentically are ultimately lies within inside. If you do ask many people of their thoughts of you, you're bound to get very many different responses. This also reminded me of Johari's Window.

I was also thinking that there might be a pattern that Fi/Te users would be more likely to be inside-Out and Fe/Ti users would be Outside-In.

·
Registered
ISFP
480 Posts
INTP
I can relate strongly to both, but slightly more to Outside-In approach. I do feel sometimes that no one can ever truly know me as well as I know myself, but I disagree with the notion that outside behaviors should not factor into a person's identity. No one can read minds, so as far as the rest of the world is concerned, your words and actions are your identity. Although there are many complexities within each individual that others may not notice, outside behavior is just as significant an indicator of one's identity and shouldn't be disregarded.

But the Inside-Out still resonates with me to an extent; this may explain why I personally am so much more comfortable typing or writing out my thoughts than expressing them in live conversation. I fear speaking without thinking through my words and saying things I do not mean.

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,834 Posts
1) What type are you?
ISFP, ESI-Se 9w8, 5w6, 2w1 Sx/Sp I think... the tritype might need more work.

I guess the inside out is the most accurate to be honest.
The outside in strikes me from time to time, but pale in comparison to time spent.

And to end it off my approach to identity as i find your dichotomy approach quite unfullfilling.

In a way my identity is built around a conceptual framework.
At any time I might try to align my identity with a new conceptual idea.
The identity is something that is formed and reformed every day.
Who you think you are you start moving towards.
Others perceptions contain a whole lot of information,
but you can never truely know if what feedback is truthful or an attempt at manipulation.
You can know however your own striving towards an advantageous conceptual idea of yourself.
It becomes the question what came first the conception or the outer reflection.
Maybe it is as simple as that, introverts had the conception first, while extroverts had the reflection first.
Our mind must have been bootet at some stage of our development.
It doesn't seem unreasonable that the invard vs outward turning stems from a very prototypic
neural response, might even have happened in the womb from very random causes.

That being said I find it funny when people set up criteria to judge me from the outside.
I was talking with an INTP friend who has a cetain background and hence think about
relating to people in very special terms.

I was saying that ideally I was looking for a cognitive match in a partner.
The whole duality thing.
He then blurted out, oh but that makes you the selector!
Cause the lives in a dichotomized bubble where you are the selector or not in male, female interactions.
I don't see it that way, I don't identify with being any kind of selector.
To me he takes a trait I excibit and tries to impose it as a sort of identifying trait.
It also sets up a very competitive frame, either I get to select you or you get to select me.
Who is able to overselect the other, in other words.
To me I care less for that selection universe, I'm more concerned with my Fi/Se cognitive balance
and the neurotic traits I see in the enneagram, I have no need to identify with a "darwinistic" take on me.

So it all depends on your perspective and what conceptual ideas you choose to align your identity with, to me.

·
Registered
INTP (I thimk) 5w
17,236 Posts
I am shaped by both inside or outside ... always and forever. Who I am can begin with either. I look at the world outside from the inside. I react to the outside world from the inside. I spend a lot of time on the inside forgetting the outside. Every once in a while I go outside forgetting my inside. Eventually that gets disturbing and I must return inside to recover. Every once in a while and get bored inside and must go outside to replenish.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4 Sx/Sp
2,387 Posts
1) What type are you?

Inside-Out Approach

-I don't expect that what shows on the outside will necessarily reflect who I am.
-I spend time trying to figure out who I am internally so I can be authentic when expressing myself. I don't think anyone else can ever tell me who I am.

Outside-In Approach

-Sometimes who we think we are internally can be very different from how we actually are in reality.
-I think a lot can be learned about people by observing them. Sometimes I learn about myself when others point things out that I never realized.
1) INTJ

2) I relate to both, but inside-out seem to resonate with me more strongly. From the Outside-in I can relate to the second statement, but not so much the first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts