Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done a little reading on Se functions and I understand Se users takes in sensory data from the environment and can use that to piece together a picture. Sources also suggest that Se users are very "live in the now" type people, and many profiles suggest Se preference makes an individual materialistic, aesthetically inclined and practical. Is that true? Particularly the materialistic, aesthetically inclined sections?

I had thought a friend of mine to be an ISTP as he had good Ti and a weakish Fe, though it wasn't until I came across Se characteristics that I'm beginning to doubt my typing.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I've done a little reading on Se functions and I understand Se users takes in sensory data from the environment and can use that to piece together a picture. Sources also suggest that Se users are very "live in the now" type people, and many profiles suggest Se preference makes an individual materialistic, aesthetically inclined and practical. Is that true? Particularly the materialistic, aesthetically inclined sections?

I had thought a friend of mine to be an ISTP as he had good Ti and a weakish Fe, though it wasn't until I came across Se characteristics that I'm beginning to doubt my typing.

Individual, practical and materialistic all have to do with the "live in the now" aspect of aux Se.
Being aesthetically inclined is really a matter of taste, isn't it? I mean: I love form-follows-function design; I like sturdy materials, etc, but you can't really say that beauty is an absolute value. I also care very little about a bit of messiness, even if I don't like actual filth.
I don't know if this is a real answer, but at least I hope I gave you some new input on your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Se preference makes an individual materialistic, aesthetically inclined and practical
I don't know about materialistic, but I guess I would describe myself as someone with an eye for things and, far, far above that, practical. I think it's the combination of Ti and Se which affords me the latter however.

I did know an ESTP who I wouldn't describe as materialistic in the slightest, but she always liked to paint her nails in bold colours and absolutely hated clutter. I think I got on with her because we had fairly concordant points of view on things (i.e. a no-nonsense, it is what is is approach).

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
I can definitely come across as such. As Zyn said, beauty is subjective and I myself am a Form follows function kind of person, as well as capable of finding beauty in simplified practicality.

As for the messiness, I am like that as well zyn, I call it Chaotic Organization. It may look like a mess but I know exactly where everything is and making it all "neat and orderly" really messes with my capabilities/mojo.

Reactions: GENIUSandVIOLENCE

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
It depends on how you use Se and what functions are used before it.

I'm not highly materialistic. I know lots of people who do not have Se as a function that are way way more materialistic than me.

I go for functionality over aesthetic value most of the time. probably because my leading function is Ti so I rationalise functionality before aesthetic value. Same goes for materialism. My Ti rationalises whether i actually want an item or need an item long before I ever consider making a purchase.

Practical though, yes, for sure.

Now if i were talking about my ESTP best friend, that is different. His leading function is Se. He definitely goes for aesthetics before functionality(but gotta have both as Se and Ti are leading functions) and is more materialistic than me.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I'm not very materialistic. In fact a lot of times I think I own too many things and want to figure out ways to get rid of stuff.

I value function over form, but this doesn't mean I won't make exceptions, though I have to think long and hard about whether or not it is worth it to make such an exception (and most times the decision is "No, not worth getting it").

I make an excellent window shopper. I like looking for/at things that are aesthetically pleasing to me, but whether I purchase something is bound by the practicality of whether or not I actually need something and how often I would make use of something. I can appreciate the aesthetics of something that isn't practical even as I am criticizing it for being impractical.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah, I don't think ISTPs are materialistic in the sense of being overly concerned with possessions or acquisition of wealth. I care more about the potential uses of my possessions... practicality and versatility are more important than quantity (which is hardly important at all IMO).

Aesthetically inclined to an extent but applied more to objects and surroundings than my own appearance (that would be Fe, otherwise).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Double post fuck

·
Registered
5,225 Posts

Aside from resorting to stereotypes, you're applying stereotypical behavior to sub-functions as if they were a dominant. So it basically results in theoretical mess².

That said, most ISTP's will be practical above all else and nothing else.

·
Rustle Thy Jimmies
2,424 Posts
It depends on how you use Se and what functions are used before it.

I'm not highly materialistic. I know lots of people who do not have Se as a function that are way way more materialistic than me.

I go for functionality over aesthetic value most of the time. probably because my leading function is Ti so I rationalise functionality before aesthetic value. Same goes for materialism. My Ti rationalises whether i actually want an item or need an item long before I ever consider making a purchase.

Practical though, yes, for sure.

Now if i were talking about my ESTP best friend, that is different. His leading function is Se. He definitely goes for aesthetics before functionality(but gotta have both as Se and Ti are leading functions) and is more materialistic than me.
This is me. To a T.

As for aesthetics, I find IMMENSE beauty in simplicity. My wife gets irritated because she likes grandiose type things. Perfect example is she wants a real nice bedroom set, sleigh bed, large dresser with a mirror. The works. Me? I LIKE having our bed on the floor, simple dresser and damn near nothing else.

Or, this is something I noticed about two weeks ago: whenever I was looking for a new Linux-flavoured OS, I settled on one that is simple. So simple, and bare. Looks like Windows 95, but I friggin love that.

... So, after having typed all that, maybe aesthetics are important to me, just I think practical IS aesthetic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts