Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's compare the similarities and differences!

I wanted to be a teacher in kindergarten. Now, i'm only 13, so i don't have a job yet :p but i want to be a social worker/philanthropist/something like that.

·
Nerf Herder
7,072 Posts
Childhood: Probably something within the video game industry

Now: Revolutionary taking down the growing tyranny of our Corporate Empire

(hey, you said dream (fantasy) job, not realistic expectation of one:wink:)

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Childhood: I had no dreams

Early Adolescence: Music Pastor

Now: I.T. Administrator...purely because it pays the bills and I have beaucoup job security

Reactions: Squirt and Mange

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
My first dream was to become a supreme court judge and now i'm a soldier.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
As a kid, thanks to Jurassic Park, I wanted to be a paleontologist.

In middle school-high school I wanted to be a teacher/counselor, but went the teaching route.

Last year I switched degrees to counseling. :)

·
Banned
710 Posts
When I was a kid I would tell people that I was going to be an engineer, because my dad is and it seemed like the default thing to do. In high school I decided I should be a doctor, partly inspired by Jack on Lost :p. First year chemistry changed my mind! Since then I've at various times aspired to be an architect, economist, aid worker, and software engineer/computer scientist(now.) I'm all over the place, it seems.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
From about 7th grade through 11th grade, I thought I wanted to be an architect. Early in 11th grade I was invited by a local architect to attend a statewide event for high school students interested in architecture. I ended up being very turned off by that event. The speakers all pushed the need to develop your own vision for projects, at the expense of meeting a client's stated needs. That was a huge turn-off for me. I ended up looking into and pursuing the more practical and less "artistic" field of engineering, which has been my career for 37 years now.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Ah, so now you're a supreme court judge on the battle field. Pretty much skipped the middle man. :p
Yeah supreme in the sense that I call in fire and judge the distance to the target :p

Reactions: Squirt and Antipode

·
Registered
847 Posts
I wanted to become a writer since I learned how to write. Already in pre-school, I always was the kid that told the other kids own little stories about witches and knights and stuff. They must have been pretty damn good, because years later I met one of the younger kids again and he blamed me for telling him lies, because witches don't exist.
I still would like to write a book or two sometime, but I know now that I need to have a plan B as well.
I'll graduate next summer and after that I'm gonna spend a year as an au pair in the USA. I'd really like to study something that involves children as well after that - maybe to become a primary school teacher with English as my major subject.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
I recall wanting to be something in the arts when I was young: either visual arts or writing.

I dropped out of a STEM program, have been trying to get some kind of clerical or service job...and given my apparent unemployability, I might try try something writing/editing related after all.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Let's compare the similarities and differences!

I wanted to be a teacher in kindergarten. Now, i'm only 13, so i don't have a job yet :p but i want to be a social worker/philanthropist/something like that.
At age 5 everyone wants to be a doctor or nurse, school teacher, fireman, police, cowboy, G/I Joe or Sailor Sam.

At age 10 not much has changed.

At age 15 kids start to think about science, arts, engineering, government, and other more broad topics of pursuit.

At age 19 you are forced to pick a major in college. This is a really had choice for most students.

At age 21 you are supposed to pick a career.

These ages are all too young to figure all this out often times.

When I turned 25 I finally figured out what I wanted to do in life so I went back to grad school and got an M.S. degree in that and have been doing it for the past 35 years with great pleasure.

Good luck in your career choices. I'm sure they will change as you go along.

Ultimately you need to choose something (1) that society needs, (2) that pays well, (3) that you are good at, and (4) that you enjoy -- all 4 of those are important.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I recall wanting to be something in the arts when I was young: either visual arts or writing.

I dropped out of a STEM program, have been trying to get some kind of clerical or service job...and given my apparent unemployability, I might try try something writing/editing related after all.
Business has the most jobs available.

This is because the population of the Earth accomplishes most of its requirements and needs through business firms.

There is also government service business.

There is also the armed forces.

There is also the medical businesses.

You can also get a teaching degree and teach. We need teachers for the kids.

There is the social work industry -- lots of people need help and the cities/counties normally need to employ workers to help them.

There are billions of jobs. Just get on Craig's list and fine one. Or google the job boards.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I wanted to become a writer since I learned how to write. Already in pre-school, I always was the kid that told the other kids own little stories about witches and knights and stuff. They must have been pretty damn good, because years later I met one of the younger kids again and he blamed me for telling him lies, because witches don't exist.
I still would like to write a book or two sometime, but I know now that I need to have a plan B as well.
I'll graduate next summer and after that I'm gonna spend a year as an au pair in the USA. I'd really like to study something that involves children as well after that - maybe to become a primary school teacher with English as my major subject.
How about journalism ??

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I wanted to be a mathematician, but now I'm a programmer. Not too far off though.
Correct very close.

I was always good at math too so I became first an accountant in business and then an international business consultant.

There are lots and lots of accounting and data processing jobs.

It worked for me.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts