Personality Cafe banner

29681 - 29700 of 29786 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I always found that to be ethically questionable. Particularly, one of the best ways to do that is via rent. Rent is charging people to use something that you “own” but don’t “use.” The early enlightenment thinkers questioned it. But nowadays it is just normal
From whose point of view?

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,162 Posts
Having money hasn’t changed me. But it sure has changed the way others treat me. In a way, maybe I should live paycheck to paycheck so people will no longer demand from me. It is very annoying. Along with being pressured to go with options that are better for everyone except for myself. Get the place with the pool, of course.

Nobody seems to care about the long run. But maybe JMK was right, in the long run we are all dead. Should I even have a retirement savings account? The world may not even exist as we know it in 50 years. It’s all very unfortunate stuff to ponder. It makes me think back to a few years ago when I had those suicidal thoughts. I didn’t have to worry about this stuff when I thought I was just gonna die a lot sooner. Who knew suicide could be so therapeutic?
That's dark and although I may seem that way myself, it's not the season for that just yet. I reckon owning your apartment or property whatever by the time you retire should be the top priority. It's good to have a retirement savings account too, but if you're worried about an economic collapse you could always diversify your savings, get some precious minerals etc. Don't do anything your peers push you to do and live on your own terms. Find new friends if you have to, or just end up all alone like me.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
yep. I'm not looking for thousands upon thousands I just want a small slice to alleviate some anxiety. It would be much easier to take risks knowing that despite everything I'll have something to eat.
I woke up at 3am today and didn’t go back to sleep. For some reason, I started thinking about the contracts I have signed and read and how they are basically heavily weighted toward one side and it isn’t my side.

So we’re gonna give you this income and these benefits. But we also reserve the right to change that whenever we want. Also, without any just cause we can terminate you whenever we want without notice.

But it is fair because I can self-terminate at any time. But if you do that we request 2 weeks notice. Yeah, but where do I get to write in that I request 2 week notice? I don’t get to write that anywhere. Not that it matters. If I’m gonna quit, it’s pretty much the only right I have is to do so without prior notice. That’s the entirety of my leverage.

Part of the reason I am always insecure about this is because I’ve already been laid off. My internship ended in a lay off with no advanced warning. It wasn’t even a fair process since I got wrongly attacked by a manager who doesn’t even supervise my activities saying that I don’t have any work to do. The official reason for my lay off is COVID-19, and can’t come into the office. But look, it would be one thing if they just said that. But the day before tell me I don’t do anything and don’t get assigned any tasks so I can basically get fired.

What’s making me think I could last more than a couple of weeks or months? I don’t know, hope? The goodwill of others? Those are the kind of guarantees I must live with.

When I first learned meditation four years ago, I thought there was a lot to this idea. I considered that the industrial life wasn’t for me, maybe I should go live in the mountains. Once I start seeing this stuff, I think maybe that wasn’t a far-fetched teenage angst thought.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I always found that to be ethically questionable. Particularly, one of the best ways to do that is via rent. Rent is charging people to use something that you “own” but don’t “use.” The early enlightenment thinkers questioned it. But nowadays it is just normal

High Yield Savings accounts would bump on my measly 0.2% interest rate to 2.0%. Anyone ever think about the fact that the government’s stance on interest rates is to keep them as low as possible at all times for purposes of economic growth?

I’m kind of saddened by it. People have lost touch with spirtual ways and they only care about materialistic desires.

Anyway, I think I will literally be taxed to oblivion while also paying sky high rent soon so it will be pretty much the same as being impoverished.

I recall that name. But it has been such a long time and barley remember what it was like.

There are a lot of people on this forum that will be missed. Others not missed.
I miss @SA1988

Damn I can't even tag the me of yore.

Edit: ... waaaaitaminute! I can! Ha. If you click on it, you get nothing, but if you hover your mouse over it, it shows my old profile picture. Ahhhh memories.

I think I'll go back to that picture.

Edit edit: Also it's really interesting how much the internet has taken off. I used to use that profile picture in a lot of places, and it was always really easy to find on google. Now when I search for anything along the lines of "head silhouette question mark" there are hundreds of similar images... none of which are the one I want.

The internet is now saturated.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
That's dark and although I may seem that way myself, it's not the season for that just yet. I reckon owning your apartment or property whatever by the time you retire should be the top priority. It's good to have a retirement savings account too, but if you're worried about an economic collapse you could always diversify your savings, get some precious minerals etc. Don't do anything your peers push you to do and live on your own terms. Find new friends if you have to, or just end up all alone like me.
No, it is not my friends. It is my family. They are intimately aware of what money I got from inheritance because they also got it. While it is nice that my student loans are wiped out which is something most people cannot say, I deliberately chose the cheapest school I could go to fully thinking I would have to pay off my loans without coincidental assistance. Come to think of it, if I hadn’t gotten that, the decisions I made would be financially unfeasible. Other places don’t give free rent, they just see you and say here pay the maximum security deposit I can legally force you to pay. Who’s got $5,400 just lying around ready to pay up front?

I would have thought I did, but I am already learning that “gross” and “net” are very different things. My gross relocation benefit is $8,000. The real benefit, $5,020.

There’s another clause in that contract that says if you voluntarily resign before 1 year, you have to pay that back. What do I pay back $5,020 or $8,000. Those are two very different numbers.
It’s not my peers, it’s my family. They don’t understand. Whether it be my mom and aunt making me get the pricey apartment. Or my dad with his point of view, if you’re spending that much money you should be buying a house.

Buying a house? Besides them costing millions over there. Like I expressed in my other post, I have no expectations. I would be surprised either way with what happens. They call it imposter syndrome, but I don’t have the skills for the job I got hired for. I don’t know how it is possible that I could last a long time there. But who knows really?

I’m not thinking about swimming pools and fancy restaurants. I’m thinking I need to learn these skills in order to even survive at this job. That means working around the clock (but don’t forget sleeping.)

Move to a place where you encounter more people so you can be more social. That’s where the minds are right now. No questions about how I will even perform at this job, I haven’t even started. Just stupid stuff that doesn’t matter at all. I probably sound more mentally unhealthy than usual for asking, but who cares about “making friends” in this scenario? The only friends worth making are coworkers, and I know some people that work there already. Nothing wrong with them. People don’t understand a success mindset. The people who get hired there all came from top schools, they learned their trade on the side. Partying and making friends would be counterproductive. What a terrible way to look at things.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
I miss @SA1988

Damn I can't even tag the me of yore.

Edit: ... waaaaitaminute! I can! Ha. If you click on it, you get nothing, but if you hover your mouse over it, it shows my old profile picture. Ahhhh memories.

I think I'll go back to that picture.

Edit edit: Also it's really interesting how much the internet has taken off. I used to use that profile picture in a lot of places, and it was always really easy to find on google. Now when I search for anything along the lines of "head silhouette question mark" there are hundreds of similar images... none of which are the one I want.

The internet is now saturated.
I will put you into the yore before yore because I never saw that name.

PerC is over a decade old now when you think of it. I also come to not particularly mind the GUI change, it is faster and that seems to be most of what counts now.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I will put you into the yore before yore because I never saw that name.

PerC is over a decade old now when you think of it. I also come to not particularly mind the GUI change, it is faster and that seems to be most of what counts now.
Yep. The speed is the major difference I noticed. Also that you can directly ctr-C ctrl-V images into posts. That's awesome.

The only thing I don't like is the home page. It shows the same 4 "top forums" and a handful of "latest threads". For a forum of this size, the home page is shit.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Maybe this is what I’m remembering from years ago. Thomas Paine saying that if you want to own land, you’ll have to pay for owning it. I think we tax property owners anyway so I suppose it isn’t all free money.

The only problem is, who is gonna tax the state? The state didn't create the land, they merely possess the land, so they too owe tax according to their own theory.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
The only problem is, who is gonna tax the state? The state didn't create the land, they merely possess the land, so they too owe tax according to their own theory.
To clear everything up, we should just have a review of the constitution every time someone is born so that we can all agree on the government before we are affected by it.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
Yep. The speed is the major difference I noticed. Also that you can directly ctr-C ctrl-V images into posts. That's awesome.

The only thing I don't like is the home page. It shows the same 4 "top forums" and a handful of "latest threads". For a forum of this size, the home page is shit.
The thing is INTP forum is on the front page and it’s the only one I go to now. I used to hit new posts in the top left corner all the time, now I don’t.

·
Registered
822 Posts
To dream that you are riding a bicycle signifies your desires to attain a balance in your life. You need to balance work and pleasure in order to succeed in your current undertakings. If you have difficulties riding the bicycle, then it suggests that you are experiencing anxieties about making it on your own. If you are riding a push bike, then it means that you want to move forward at your own pace and by your own power.
To see a bicycle in your dream indicates that you need to devote time to leisurely pursuits and recreation.
To dream that you are riding tandem in a bicycle suggests that you are more accepting with aspects of yourself or of your partner that you have previously rejected. Dreaming that you are being chased by people on a tandem bicycle means that you are not being cooperative. You are refusing to work together with someone on a project.
If the color of the bicycle was particularly important or memorable, then the dream often relates to specific childhood memories. If you had a yellow bicycle or the neighbor down the street had a red one, then the dream is about what you were going through during that period of your life. TOP
I should have clarified that it was a motorbike, my bad.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I remember reading a few years back that all galaxies take 1 billion years to rotate once. From the smallest of galaxies rotating very slowly and the largest ones basically hauling ass, all just to rotate once. The divine order of things is so elegant and wonderful.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I remember reading a few years back that all galaxies take 1 billion years to rotate once. From the smallest of galaxies rotating very slowly and the largest ones basically hauling ass, all just to rotate once. The divine order of things is so elegant and wonderful.
Why do you think should time be the constant and not distance/space?

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
Love/Hate relationship with the fact that the new site remembers stuff I started typing on specific threads after I log out.

It helps me finish a post later, but when I don’t want to use the content, sometimes I forget to delete it and have to edit my post afterward.

·
Registered
INTP 5w4-9w1-4w5 sp/sx, LII / INTj-Ti, RCUAI Inquisitive
16 Posts
Sometimes, we can use even the most basic properties and laws to prove or explain something complex, and doing it in multiple ways would make you understand the subject better.

In this case, I considered the electric field at a point r distance away from an infinitely long and uniformly charged line conductor (Considering it as purely one-dimensional). Most simple way would be using the Gauss's Law of Electrostatic Flux for Closed Surfaces, but as the law itself can be proved from Coulomb's Inverse Square Law for Electrostatic Forces, we could actually try using Coulomb's law directly.

I just wrote this up in the course of past 10 minutes:

The integration would be a little bit more complex than we use in usual Flux calculation, but it's not as tedious as those of sqrt(tan x)dx or something similar.

Still, interesting. I might try for different systems now.

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,162 Posts
So I've been doing a windows system cleanup ahead of transferring all of the files onto a new drive and omg I came upon a 'backup' folder filled with all the relevant drivers and even a comprehensive readme.txt to do list with all the steps to recovering the system to its usual state! It's convenient if not a bit extra.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
My brother suggested that all I would buy for my apartment is a bed and a chair to watch TV.

My dad said that would be like living as a hermit.

Not a bad idea though. I’m going to pack my lamp into a suitcase so I don’t have to spend $60 on a lamp.

29681 - 29700 of 29786 Posts