Personality Cafe banner

29701 - 29720 of 29785 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Sometimes, we can use even the most basic properties and laws to prove or explain something complex, and doing it in multiple ways would make you understand the subject better.

In this case, I considered the electric field at a point r distance away from an infinitely long and uniformly charged line conductor (Considering it as purely one-dimensional). Most simple way would be using the Gauss's Law of Electrostatic Flux for Closed Surfaces, but as the law itself can be proved from Coulomb's Inverse Square Law for Electrostatic Forces, we could actually try using Coulomb's law directly.

I just wrote this up in the course of past 10 minutes:
View attachment 866316

The integration would be a little bit more complex than we use in usual Flux calculation, but it's not as tedious as those of sqrt(tan x)dx or something similar.

Still, interesting. I might try for different systems now.
Good work!

This is actually how I was taught that equation during my degree. We derived a lot of stuff from basics like that.

And then, after we'd covered Gauss's Law, the professor went back and showed us how much easier it is to use!

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
What if bugs were human in the previous life and know it, and try to tell us, but they just bug us so we kill them?

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
Today I googled, "can i have pasta with tomato soup".

And now I'm going to have pasta in soup. Because google let me.
If you put ravioli into tomato soup, you just get back ravioli. It is a standard example of black holes destroying information.

I was reading about how Chef Boyardee made Italian food more popular in America. Before that Americans only ate tea and crumpets. Not to mention those bland sugar pancake things someone made for their Shakespeare project. I can’t tell if Shakespeare didn’t know how to make good food or if the students doing the show and tell couldn’t make good food.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
And before tea and crumpets, everyone at lobster!

It was considered 'poor people food'.

Also I want to test if it's possible to paste emojis into this forum and this post is going to be where I do it. So here goes: 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: Excellent.
The last time I was at red lobster, I had a lobster pizza. It was pretty good. But that was ages ago.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
I've never been even mildly interested in lobster.

View attachment 866353

Nothing about that says 'food' to me.

Looks like a facehugger.
Yeah, it is something I’ve had very infrequently, and I have never really craved it. Yet, it is a lobster so apparently it is a big deal. I guess that is why everyone mentions that it used to poor people food because now the only time one would eat it is during some special seafood restaurant occasion.

In Greece, Gyros are just hot dogs. Living in NY they are very accessible. But after I move to California I would have to go to a “Greek Restaurant” to eat one. Lol I think I will just buy the meat and some pita bread. Done. It probably takes less time than making a hamburger.

I wonder what Chinese people feel like since “Chinese Food” is supposedly heavily Americanized to the point of not even being what they eat in China.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I wonder what Chinese people feel like since “Chinese Food” is supposedly heavily Americanized to the point of not even being what they eat in China.
They probably feel the same way I felt when I got fish & chips in China.

It was a 'reasonable effort', but nothing will ever come close to proper British fish & chips.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
They probably feel the same way I felt when I got fish & chips in China.

It was a 'reasonable effort', but nothing will ever come close to proper British fish & chips.
As long as it isn’t the aberration called a beef burger that they made at school. The beef was untrustworthy.

I’m in the second week of my online class. The nice coicindence is that exam is on the same week I start working, and after that I get a 3 week break from class.

The course has a couple of videos to explain concepts but they actually use text to explain things. The other online schools I’ve seen are 100% video after video. I’m quite comfortable getting through a week’s work in a couple of days.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah, it is something I’ve had very infrequently, and I have never really craved it. Yet, it is a lobster so apparently it is a big deal. I guess that is why everyone mentions that it used to poor people food because now the only time one would eat it is during some special seafood restaurant occasion.

In Greece, Gyros are just hot dogs. Living in NY they are very accessible. But after I move to California I would have to go to a “Greek Restaurant” to eat one. Lol I think I will just buy the meat and some pita bread. Done. It probably takes less time than making a hamburger.

I saw a lot of chinese people eating ( in my country not china ) and it's not even close to what we eat but whatever ... Americanized food is not really that bad i remember eating sushi for the first time 15 years ago or something , it was the most gross thing ever ... a crude octupus with their suckers intact ( i was trying to be the cool kid ordering something sophisticated but i had to eat it alone after all my family saw that xdd).

All my life i have been eating sea food one of my favorites are "erizos" , sea hedgehog i believe xD i don't know really.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
I saw a lot of chinese people eating ( in my country not china ) and it's not even close to what we eat but whatever ... Americanized food is not really that bad i remember eating sushi for the first time 15 years ago or something , it was the most gross thing ever ... a crude octupus with their suckers intact ( i was trying to be the cool kid ordering something sophisticated but i had to eat it alone after all my family saw that xdd).

All my life i have been eating sea food one of my favorites are "erizos" , sea hedgehog i believe xD i don't know really.

View attachment 866360
When I type “sea hedgehog” into google it gives results about sea urchins.

There’s only one food I ate that I think may disgust people. One day I was at a family party and someone was just barbecuing intestines. It remember not disliking it.

·
Registered
INTP
1,944 Posts
Today I googled, "can i have pasta with tomato soup".

And now I'm going to have pasta in soup. Because google let me.
Today I googled "what can I use instead of google" and got answers, so now I can switch I guess.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Why do you think should time be the constant and not distance/space?
Well, from a cosmology standpoint, time and space are two aspects of one unified "thing", so the question is kind of moot. And I don't think time should be the constant, I just think it's fascinating that it appears to be that way with galaxies. As if each galaxy is one gear and the universe is a piece of clockwork.

·
Registered
INTP 5w4-9w1-4w5 sp/sx, LII / INTj-Ti, RCUAI Inquisitive
16 Posts
Good work!

This is actually how I was taught that equation during my degree. We derived a lot of stuff from basics like that.

And then, after we'd covered Gauss's Law, the professor went back and showed us how much easier it is to use!
Definitely. Gauss's Law makes it seem like it's easier than remembering your name, lol

·
I love my everything
10,919 Posts
something i dislike about mbti, and especially in the thinker communities, is that it sometimes provides excuses for bad behavior by a type, and limits interests and causes conformity. No one should be a caricature of their mbti type. In addition, mbti is intended to be a general personality profile and not something that explains every aspect of your character. No, its not a good thing to be an asshole if ur entj, sociopath if entp, or unaware if intj.
Still love yourselves, but note it is not good to exaggerate those negatives esp if they hurt others just because you read it as a weakness on a personality profile page.
I wish thinker types could also put more weight on emotions. Emtoions are at the very core of our existence, and it is foolish to pass them off as being subjective. It is illogical to not acknowledge these biases if the goal is to be purely objective. You cant rid yourself of your emotions and they will continue to infleunce you. And if you bury and surpress them they awill destroy you.

On antoher note, i feel as if I am a demon about to be sprayed wtih holy water right now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just read somewhere, that two Cosmologists named Raymond Lyttleton & Hermann Bondi suggested (1959) that universe had excess amount of charge in its birthtime, rather than the electrical neutrality we observe now. They were actually succesful in explaning the expansion of universe.

I thought, let's actually try doing it by whatever miniscule Mathematical and Physical knowledge I have. I'm not even a college student yet, lol

I started with considering the amount of excess charge inside the universe right at start as |ye| (It can be negative or positive, both ways it is going to work just fine.)

The Electrostatic Force will be repulsive, and gravitational force would be attractive. But Electrostatic force easily wins at it's way stronger. I also calculated the minimum value of y for this to work.

After that, we can even prove that the velocity of expansion is proportional to the distance from the centre.

But.

Thing is, the theory of excess charge might actually not be true. It was an bold assumption, and it is apparently succesful, but we haven't considered the relativistic phenomenas. Also, this says the electric field which was created at the start of universe is present even now. The number density decreases really fast, but Radius also increases (E varies as N*R) so we can at least feel its presence in space... Let's leave that to the experimental cosmologists. If it's detected, then this model proposed by Lyttleton & Bondi is correct.

·
Registered
16 Posts
something i dislike about mbti, and especially in the thinker communities, is that it sometimes provides excuses for bad behavior by a type, and limits interests and causes conformity. No one should be a caricature of their mbti type. In addition, mbti is intended to be a general personality profile and not something that explains every aspect of your character. No, its not a good thing to be an asshole if ur entj, sociopath if entp, or unaware if intj.
Still love yourselves, but note it is not good to exaggerate those negatives esp if they hurt others just because you read it as a weakness on a personality profile page.
I wish thinker types could also put more weight on emotions. Emtoions are at the very core of our existence, and it is foolish to pass them off as being subjective. It is illogical to not acknowledge these biases if the goal is to be purely objective. You cant rid yourself of your emotions and they will continue to infleunce you. And if you bury and surpress them they awill destroy you.

On antoher note, i feel as if I am a demon about to be sprayed wtih holy water right now.
Wisdom.

29701 - 29720 of 29785 Posts