Personality Cafe banner

29721 - 29740 of 29762 Posts

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Definitely. Gauss's Law makes it seem like it's easier than remembering your name, lol
Wait till you cover Lagrangian mechanics and Noether's theorem. It grants you access to much more complex physical systems, with only a touch more algebra to work through.

The equations there might not mean much if you haven't studied Lagrangians yet, but you can see clearly it's just a basic performance of finding derivatives and doing a bit of algebra.

Lots of stuff here too: http://coffee.ncat.edu:8080/Flurchick/Lectures/PhysicalMechanicsII/Section3/Appendix3-1.html

It basically lets you write equations for 3D mechanical systems, with way less difficulty than the old f=ma setup.

·
Registered
INTP 5w4-9w1-4w5 sp/sx, LII / INTj-Ti, RCUAI Inquisitive
16 Posts
Wait till you cover Lagrangian mechanics and Noether's theorem. It grants you access to much more complex physical systems, with only a touch more algebra to work through.

The equations there might not mean much if you haven't studied Lagrangians yet, but you can see clearly it's just a basic performance of finding derivatives and doing a bit of algebra.

Lots of stuff here too: http://coffee.ncat.edu:8080/Flurchick/Lectures/PhysicalMechanicsII/Section3/Appendix3-1.html

It basically lets you write equations for 3D mechanical systems, with way less difficulty than the old f=ma setup.
I love (REALLY LOVE) the Double Pendulum, but sadly I need to learn a lot before completely understanding them. Thanks a lot for the systems though!

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
A while ago I became concerned about how much of my online world can be found by googling my name.

I had hundreds or even thousands of Quora answers which would show up if you searched for my name + Quora. So I deleted my account.

And now I barely exist. My first appearance is on page 6 of google, and it just shows the website where I created the couple of books that I've written.

This is of course ignoring stuff like Facebook and LinkedIn, but I don't mind that stuff being public - it's had my name, location, pictures etc from the start. I just didn't want my more personal stuff, i.e forum posts and the likes, to be there.

I feel a little bit more anonymous now . Woohoo!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
What was your opinion of yourself? Had you completely forgotten ever watching it?
Hah, that's the freaky part: I laughed at the comment right before I realized it was mine...
So I guess some things never change.

And, no, I knew the video, I knew I had been there before. Probably watched it like 3-4 times over the years, as it's an excerpt from one of my favorite shows. But I have no memory at all of ever putting that comment, I really wouldn't have guessed.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
A while ago I became concerned about how much of my online world can be found by googling my name.

I had hundreds or even thousands of Quora answers which would show up if you searched for my name + Quora. So I deleted my account.

And now I barely exist. My first appearance is on page 6 of google, and it just shows the website where I created the couple of books that I've written.

This is of course ignoring stuff like Facebook and LinkedIn, but I don't mind that stuff being public - it's had my name, location, pictures etc from the start. I just didn't want my more personal stuff, i.e forum posts and the likes, to be there.

I feel a little bit more anonymous now . Woohoo!
Hm. How long did it take for the stuff to 'update'? I thought you couldn't really erase that kind of data; that the Quora questions would somehow stick into the memeory [of the internet] with your name on it.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Hm. How long did it take for the stuff to 'update'? I thought you couldn't really erase that kind of data; that the Quora questions would somehow stick into the memeory [of the internet] with your name on it.
I don't know how long it took, but things don't stick around forever anyway. If the google bots (or bing or whatever) start to hit 404 errors on a page, it drops in search results and/or is eventually removed permanently.

I don't know about internet archives though. My content is probably on wayback machine somewhere, but I don't even know how to google that (or if it's even possible) so I don't care much.

(Also probably worth adding: There's nothing particularly incriminating about the stuff I deleted. I just don't like the idea of having so much content to my name on the internet. In my social circles, I would be mocked by people for having such a sprawling and 'committed' online world. And they're kind of right... the amount of time I have spent providing words to the faceless world of the internet is actually very embarrassing)

·
Registered
28,905 Posts
The professor for this course is Chinese and I don’t really detect an English accent that would distinguish his speech from a Chinese speaker who came to America.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
The professor for this course is Chinese and I don’t really detect an English accent that would distinguish his speech from a Chinese speaker who came to America.
From my experience in China, there are three kinds of English speaker.

1. Terrible. Barely knows a few words. But they get credit for trying.

2. Good English skills. Usually use American English (but obviously still sounds quite Chinese)

3. Making an extra special effort to speak with "British English" (which usually means a poor attempt at a London accent, because Chinese people think that capital cities represent the 'main' version of a language). Honestly every Chinese person I met who was trying to sound specially British just made me cringe.

·
Registered
28,905 Posts
From my experience in China, there are three kinds of English speaker.

1. Terrible. Barely knows a few words. But they get credit for trying.

2. Good English skills. Usually use American English (but obviously still sounds quite Chinese)

3. Making an extra special effort to speak with "British English" (which usually means a poor attempt at a London accent, because Chinese people think that capital cities represent the 'main' version of a language). Honestly every Chinese person I met who was trying to sound specially British just made me cringe.
Ha capital city accents.

My dad has a New York accent, but in school we were taught the standard American accent.

Me and my brother used to make fun of him when were less than 10 years old because he would say “o-range” instead of “or-ange” and “fo-rest” instead of “for-est.” I think I’ve developed that over time. I don’t remember the last time I said orange “correctly.”

The weirdest one I can’t wrap my head around is “humid.” Any word starting with the “hue” sound is replace with “you.” Yoo-mid. Yuge! I remember my brother told him to pronounce the “h” and he said something like “hoo-mid?” “Hoo-man?” He can’t even make the sound.

The other interesting one is Japanese with ‘L’ getting turned into ‘R.’ What I found interesting is I had a Japanese friend and another friend whose name started with ‘L’ but when the Japanese friend spells the other’s name, he used an ‘R.’ So I wonder if it is heard differently was well.

·
Registered
INTP
3,544 Posts
Apparently l and r sound the same/are interchangeable in Japanese. But obviously are different for English speakers.

English speakers have similar problems with pairs of sounds in foreign languages. For example, in Hindi dh is not the same as d, but we tend to ignore the difference. Also Spanish r vs rr, etc.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Apparently l and r sound the same/are interchangeable in Japanese. But obviously are different for English speakers.

English speakers have similar problems with pairs of sounds in foreign languages. For example, in Hindi dh is not the same as d, but we tend to ignore the difference. Also Spanish r vs rr, etc.
When learning Chinese, I had trouble getting 'x' and 'sh' to sound different, e.g. xiao and shao sound pretty much the same to all but native ears.

I remember once talking to a mate about mathematics, which is 'shuxue'. He couldn't understand at all what I was saying. It's because he was hearing the 'x' part as 'sh' (they sound exactly the fucking same to me!). Eventually he figured out and exclaimed, "ohhhhh, shuxue!", in what sounded like exactly the same way I had been saying it to him!

·
Registered
28,905 Posts

Oh my!

·
Registered
544 Posts
A lot of prominent figures seem to be multi-lingual so it convinces me that being so cannot be so difficult.
I don't think is that hard specially using Intp's traits ( i mean learning is hard work regardless of the subject ) but without sharing and to practice the progress phonetically that is gonna be very slow . I guess... that is why most of the mid -upper classes people do not have so much problems learning english ... it almost a necesity in this world .

But what do I know? ... I remember reading the real Don Quijote, Cervantes used an old Spanish compared to what he lived to make fun of old chivalry books xD but jesus ... There was almost 10 translation notes in almost every page ( even being native you couldn't understand it xd )

29721 - 29740 of 29762 Posts