Personality Cafe banner

30281 - 30300 of 30368 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
Let me know how many weeks it takes before you start doing stuff. My current record is 3 weeks.
Well I've spent most of today just clicking around aimlessly, then 30 minutes playing a game.

Now a guy has contacted me in Slack, but I was 30 minutes late to reply because I was playing that game. Ha!

I doubt I'll be getting stuck into any real work any time soon. I'm setting stuff up though.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
First Czech word I've been given: Prdel.

Google tells me it means 'arse', and the pronunciation is just as looks, but with a big roll on the R.

pRRRdel!
Anyone care for a prdel prtzel?

https://i.redd.it/od644ytcbmk21.jpg

Reactions: HAL

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
Well I've spent most of today just clicking around aimlessly, then 30 minutes playing a game.

Now a guy has contacted me in Slack, but I was 30 minutes late to reply because I was playing that game. Ha!

I doubt I'll be getting stuck into any real work any time soon. I'm setting stuff up though.
I remember my second day I told my manager I finished my meetings that day. He replied 3 hours later and told me to setup my email account and read my emails. Ah, the ultimate distraction for the beginner, read your emails.

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
I remember my second day I told my manager I finished my meetings that day. He replied 3 hours later and told me to setup my email account and read my emails. Ah, the ultimate distraction for the beginner, read your emails.
Damn, that reminds me of when I did my work experience. "Work experience" is a thing most high schools do in the UK when you're about 15. Students go out and spend two weeks in a local place of work.

My twin brother and I left it a little late so we both ended up going to the same place: The IT department of the local hospital.

All I remember is the following:

• The guy whose office we spent most time in, who told me a story about how he stubbed and broke his toe and it was one of the most painful thing he's experienced.
  • Installing windows on a computer, because there was nothing else for us to do
  • The office manager telling us, "You aren't really showing any enthusiasm and we don't know what tasks we can realistically give you anyway, sorry!"
  • My brother broke his ankle doing some skateboarding outside the hospital during lunch break (ha! Convenient place to break something!).
  • Spent the next week on my own.
  • Played minesweeper for HOURS.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
Damn, that reminds me of when I did my work experience. "Work experience" is a thing most high schools do in the UK when you're about 15. Students go out and spend two weeks in a local place of work.

My twin brother and I left it a little late so we both ended up going to the same place: The IT department of the local hospital.

All I remember is the following:

• The guy whose office we spent most time in, who told me a story about how he stubbed and broke his toe and it was one of the most painful thing he's experienced.
  • Installing windows on a computer, because there was nothing else for us to do
  • The office manager telling us, "You aren't really showing any enthusiasm and we don't know what tasks we can realistically give you anyway, sorry!"
  • My brother broke his ankle doing some skateboarding outside the hospital during lunch break (ha! Convenient place to break something!).
  • Spent the next week on my own.
  • Played minesweeper for HOURS.
A couple of times during my internship, they randomly gave me a laptop and a USB password reset stick to reset the password on it.

Perhaps more remarkably was when someone complained that their computer wouldn’t turn on. So I just let it charge for several minutes and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not so sure. Case in point: My recent secret hatred of having my brother and his boyfriend living with me.

I think an INTP society would be happy on the surface, but underneath it would basically be a community of people who had all said, "Yeah sure I'm fine with things this way", after which a random selection would end up in a good situation for themselves, and another random selection would end up in a not-so-good situation, but they would stay happy and just deal with it because "well I did say I was fine", until eventually things would get bad because actually things were never fine.

Basically we aren't obstinate enough to demand things be better.
isee your point and i think you may be right on the surface but, intp is probably the most critical kind of person, as in theyll never stop thinking why something doesnt work.
if that society would make a system to orderly and sistematically report any flaws in the organization of things it would eventually find out a way to make everything work

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
isee your point and i think you may be right on the surface but, intp is probably the most critical kind of person, as in theyll never stop thinking why something doesnt work.
if that society would make a system to orderly and sistematically report any flaws in the organization of things it would eventually find out a way to make everything work
Hmm yeah true. When I imagined a society of INTPs, I was imagining we would collectively make the decisions without any hierarchy. I think if there was an INTP government it would function excellently. There would be no arguing, and a desire for agreeing on a logical result that we all find acceptable.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Hmm yeah true. When I imagined a society of INTPs, I was imagining we would collectively make the decisions without any hierarchy. I think if there was an INTP government it would function excellently. There would be no arguing, and a desire for agreeing on a logical result that we all find acceptable.
And that, beloved women of the word, is why I'm easy to live with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
And that, beloved women of the word, is why I'm easy to live with.
dude, in my experience every1 i know says im high maintenance and absolutely closed minded because im unable to accept their viewpoints and opinions, who are all, mostly, provable irrational btw, lol.
the reason im asking you guys to theorize about a possible intp nation is because i think it would be a lot more agreeable with reason, and things would either just work, or get immediately solved if any problem becomes apparent.
so far i think the only problem the orgnization would have would be to actually do something, at least in my case im always thinking about doing things but never getting anything done.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I found some YouTube British guy who is living in China. He lives as a Taoist Disciple. I don’t know what they do for a living, but they seem to drink wine, eat food and live on a beautiful mountain. So far, I haven’t seen a whole lot of videos about doing work. Certainly, there must be work to be done. But it doesn’t seem to be a central tenant, at least it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

In Buddhism, there are a lot of chores. It seems like sweeping is the biggest one, I am quite familiar with sweeping. I agree, if I were to establish a law of life, I would recommend sweeping.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I never really read books too often, but I think I’m about to read 5 books. They give me ideas. But unlike Wikipedia, they are always first person. So I must often do the extra work to look for more information that will refute what I have read, if such refutations exist. I must always be aware of the limitations of each idea.

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
I found some YouTube British guy who is living in China. He lives as a Taoist Disciple. I don’t know what they do for a living, but they seem to drink wine, eat food and live on a beautiful mountain. So far, I haven’t seen a whole lot of videos about doing work. Certainly, there must be work to be done. But it doesn’t seem to be a central tenant, at least it hasn’t been mentioned yet.

In Buddhism, there are a lot of chores. It seems like sweeping is the biggest one, I am quite familiar with sweeping. I agree, if I were to establish a law of life, I would recommend sweeping.
I think you should post the video so I can judge it through my cynical lens.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
INTPs are deductive reasoners.
ENTJs on the other hand practice inductive reasoning; swift conclusions, yes, but often wrong and/or incomplete.

That explains the clash with Te.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I think you should post the video so I can judge it through my cynical lens.
I don’t remember which ones I watched, here are two topically relevant ones.

I don’t really care about martial arts, unless I’m watching a comedy movie with Jackie Chan in it.

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
I don’t remember which ones I watched, here are two topically relevant ones.
Ha, well as long as he's happy, I can't hate too much.

But he definitely doesn't know anything about China, other than "woooo daoism how myyyysticaaaal". I actually find this kind of thing to be a bit of an insult to China generally. It creates an image of wholesomeness, spirituality and basic living, specially when he releases "China vs UK" comparison videos on the same channel.

The China I knew was more like this (and the absolute majority of people live in cities like this so...):

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
Ha, well as long as he's happy, I can't hate too much.

But he definitely doesn't know anything about China, other than "woooo daoism how myyyysticaaaal". I actually find this kind of thing to be a bit of an insult to China generally. It creates an image of wholesomeness, spirituality and basic living, specially when he releases "China vs UK" comparison videos on the same channel.

The China I knew was more like this (and the absolute majority of people live in cities like this so...):

View attachment 870693
I just watched a video where he was criticized for talking too much about Beijing. Might have been another video, but I think at that point he only was in Beijing. So they were saying there is a lot more to China than cities. I have also seen him in Shanghai and others. I remember one video he mentioned how just living a city, the people outside will have a completely different dialect. Lol

I wonder if Taoism makes him happy or the fact that he is in a peaceful environment. Perhaps it obviously affected his worldview. But you look at these philosophies of tranquility, there is a strong statement of mind over matter.

Mind over matter is kind of hard way of doing things isn’t it? I don’t like the Western intake, because it makes meditation or other relaxing techniques a thing you do when you get stressed. You still go to work, you still “think” like a normal person most of the time I think.

I read about the Tai Chi and science says the evidence for it being relaxing is currently not good quality. What I do not understand is how techniques like these can be isolated from the broader lifestyle. Doing meditation after a tough day at work seems like it would be much more successful if you are basically doing nothing but it most of the time.

But that idea wouldn’t comply with our culture. We want to have it both ways. Nobody is necessarily right or wrong in their choice of lifestyle, but I do not think it makes sense to compare the effects of doing a dance once in a while. Call it a holistic understanding vs reductionist one. Or maybe I’m insane. We do not know!

·
Registered
INTP
5,269 Posts
I just watched a video where he was criticized for talking too much about Beijing. Might have been another video, but I think at that point he only was in Beijing. So they were saying there is a lot more to China than cities. I have also seen him in Shanghai and others. I remember one video he mentioned how just living a city, the people outside will have a completely different dialect. Lol

I wonder if Taoism makes him happy or the fact that he is in a peaceful environment. Perhaps it obviously affected his worldview. But you look at these philosophies of tranquility, there is a strong statement of mind over matter.

Mind over matter is kind of hard way of doing things isn’t it? I don’t like the Western intake, because it makes meditation or other relaxing techniques a thing you do when you get stressed. You still go to work, you still “think” like a normal person most of the time I think.

I read about the Tai Chi and science says the evidence for it being relaxing is currently not good quality. What I do not understand is how techniques like these can be isolated from the broader lifestyle. Doing meditation after a tough day at work seems like it would be much more successful if you are basically doing nothing but it most of the time.

But that idea wouldn’t comply with our culture. We want to have it both ways. Nobody is necessarily right or wrong in their choice of lifestyle, but I do not think it makes sense to compare the effects of doing a dance once in a while. Call it a holistic understanding vs reductionist one. Or maybe I’m insane. We do not know!
I think ADVChina give a more accurate depiction of China.

Here's a link to their most popular videos: ADVChina

The youtube channel is named after the motorbike shop they used to own in Shenzhen, but the videos just show the two of them riding around cool places while talking about China. It's usually a much better analysis, albeit still from a western point of view.

Funny thing: They both had to eventually flee China because their videos (all truthful, interesting, thoughtful analyses of Chinese life) started to piss Chinese people off because they would sometimes mention negative aspects of China. That's how bad the nationalism is over there. It's so bad that they ended up being fucking stalked and had local police knocking in their doors to do "routine checks" (which just happened to only be checking the houses of foreigners). Fuck Chinese nationalism. Absolute fuck it. And that's another reason why your taoist video blogger is so woefully uninformed on what China is really like. I mean, it's a cool country and I would definitely go back, but the nationalism is so fucking disgustingly real.

·
Registered
29,166 Posts
I think ADVChina give a more accurate depiction of China.

Here's a link to their most popular videos: ADVChina

The youtube channel is named after the motorbike shop they used to own in Shenzhen, but the videos just show the two of them riding around cool places while talking about China. It's usually a much better analysis, albeit still from a western point of view.

Funny thing: They both had to eventually flee China because their videos (all truthful, interesting, thoughtful analyses of Chinese life) started to piss Chinese people off because they would sometimes mention negative aspects of China. That's how bad the nationalism is over there. It's so bad that they ended up being fucking stalked and had local police knocking in their doors to do "routine checks" (which just happened to only be checking the houses of foreigners). Fuck Chinese nationalism. Absolute fuck it. And that's another reason why your taoist video blogger is so woefully uninformed on what China is really like. I mean, it's a cool country and I would definitely go back, but the nationalism is so fucking disgustingly real.
Well, they do the whole concentration camp thing if I’m not mistaken.

I am watching a few of these ADVChina videos now. I saw one in Vietnam. Lol apparently it is worth mentioning that people are attractive.

I have a friend from Vietnam. He came from the bottom and his main priority in life is achieving career success. One time he slept on a table and said compared to where he came from, sleeping on that table was extremely comfortable.

There’s plenty of esoteric Asian interests. I think they have some interesting ideas in the East. But food, and all that nonsense, I am accustomed to my own background. McDonald’s is the best food, that’s why everyone around the world eats it.

30281 - 30300 of 30368 Posts