Personality Cafe banner

30301 - 30320 of 30365 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
5,268 Posts
But food, and all that nonsense, I am accustomed to my own background. McDonald’s is the best food, that’s why everyone around the world eats it.
Haha that's the most American thing you'll ever say.

Fun fact: The most popular takeaway food item in the UK is Indian curry (not fish and chips, like some would believe... and not McDonalds either!).

Another loosely related fun fact: The only country in the world where coca cola is not the most widely bought soft drink, is Scotland. In Scotland they drink more of this:

·
Registered
29,159 Posts
Haha that's the most American thing you'll ever say.

Fun fact: The most popular takeaway food item in the UK is Indian curry (not fish and chips, like some would believe... and not McDonalds either!).

Another loosely related fun fact: The only country in the world where coca cola is not the most widely bought soft drink, is Scotland. In Scotland they drink more of this:

View attachment 870757
This area is full of Indian culture due to the high amount of Indian people who came here to work. I tried some Indian food and I don’t generally like it. Although there was one sauce packet thing I ate during my backpacking trip that I enjoyed a lot.

In my personal circle of family, French Food, Indian Food, Portuguese Food, Peruvian food, etc. all apparently deserving of their own name.

Perhaps not ironically, Italian food and Greek is just food. We don’t even call the restaurant something else. I wonder if some other ethnic groups see it that way. I can bet it is Greek, but I wonder about Italian. Pizza is integrated, there’s nothing unAmerican about it.

I am certainly not aware of that soft drink. In Russia beer is a soft drink that is what I have read so many times.

·
Registered
29,159 Posts
I have been doing something quite novel. I’ve been reading books and listening to audiobooks of specific topics of interest to myself.

I am sure to find free pdf books as often as possible due to the fact that I do not support copyright law.

·
Registered
INTP
5,268 Posts
I am certainly not aware of that soft drink. In Russia beer is a soft drink that is what I have read so many times.
Yeah I've read that too. Apparently the government needed to do a public education campaign to make people learn that beer is not okay to buy as a general drink when you just feel like buying a drink during the day.

·
Registered
29,159 Posts
Yeah I've read that too. Apparently the government needed to do a public education campaign to make people learn that beer is not okay to buy as a general drink when you just feel like buying a drink during the day.
I am somewhat excited about going home for thanksgiving. But my dad is going make Ham because he doesn’t like eating Turkey apparently. I told him to get both but I don’t think he will.

·
Registered
29,159 Posts
Hammy Christmas
Mmmm ham.

So, my recruiter is finalizing his job at my company tomorrow because he is pursuing a new opportunity at a growing company. We got a private scoop on what Human Resources knows. They can see salaries and compensation packages as high as Vice Presidents, but the earnings of C-Level Executives is not transparent to them, they do not know.

I find it troubling that C-Level is often hiding something. Institutionally, knowledge of their whereabouts is hidden from view. Even the CEO’s calendar (simply when he is free or not) is not publicly visible to the employees.

For this reason, they can be seen as slippery and questionable figures. But, I suppose it is not of high importance. I am aware that the compensation of VPs is already absurdly high, although it is difficult to argue that this means those higher than them are like billionaires. They are likely millionaires anyway.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts

View attachment 870757
Are those dates legit?
The 1947 one looks pretty ace, almost too novel for that age (more like late 80's and it would still be a cool design). I also didn't know canned soda went back that far in time?

How simple we've become though. Went from art to instant recognition.

·
Registered
INTP
5,268 Posts
Are those dates legit?
The 1947 one looks pretty ace, almost too novel for that age (more like late 80's and it would still be a cool design). I also didn't know canned soda went back that far in time?

How simple we've become though. Went from art to instant recognition.
Yeah I thought similar. Google tells me cans were first used in 1935, so the image is fake. I would think those images were probably attached to bottles.

And yeah, it always feels like things of the past were more wholesome in some way. Hell, even the pre/early internet days of the 90s to early-00s feel like a wholesome other world now.

·
Registered
INTP
4,783 Posts
Yes, fake. That kind of tapered top is a new thing. Even when I was a teenager, pop cans and beer cans were cylinders. No pull tabs either; you had to pierce the top with a can opener.

·
Registered
INTP
4,783 Posts
I was talking to a guy on a dating site for a couple of weeks. After a while I figured he was probably ENTJ. Many good qualities.

He said he had been the boss (manager/owner) during his entire working life in an automotive repair field. Also impressive accomplishments in leisure activities, music, community involvement, etc., but down to earth at the same time.

Although we could discuss and be open and honest about many things, and passed several of each other's tests, I had this feeling that sooner or later he would judge me harshly for not being a go-getter. Geez, even my INTJ daughter thinks I'm too flaky for this world.

So I decided to stop writing to him, and said my goodbyes today.

I know ENTJ and INTP are supposed to be a good match, and I can see that. But not this time.

·
Registered
INTP. Sometimes a J depending on the test and how I feel that day.
12 Posts
Yeah I thought similar. Google tells me cans were first used in 1935, so the image is fake. I would think those images were probably attached to bottles.

And yeah, it always feels like things of the past were more wholesome in some way. Hell, even the pre/early internet days of the 90s to early-00s feel like a wholesome other world now.
Even then, I don't think IRN-BRU used cans until 1974, according to their own website. The "1947 can" label is an exact match for the 1974 can, except the taper wasn't there. In 1947, they were using a bottle label exactly like that blue crescent-like shape on these cans.

·
Registered
29,159 Posts
I did the breathing technique today after a long time without eating.

My entire body seemed to go numb and it almost completely seized up.

In a somewhat interesting way, my thumbs pull themselves toward my palms involuntarily. To confirm this, I attempted to move them to their natural state but I experienced great resistance. I decided to stop when I realized this and it took some time before the numbness disappeared and my muscles relaxed themselves again.

This experience is interesting to be sure, the ability to completely numb the body is a subject previously known only to the Dark Side.

·
Registered
INTP
5,268 Posts
I once held my breath for longer than 3 minutes. I know it isn't a record-breaking time by any stretch, but it's much better than most people can achieve.

I can also swim underwater for much longer and much further than anyone I've ever met in real life. Again, I know there are free divers and other folk who can go much further than me, but among all the people I've ever known, I am vastly better than them all at this. It's my secret pointless skill.

·
Registered
29,159 Posts
I once held my breath for longer than 3 minutes. I know it isn't a record-breaking time by any stretch, but it's much better than most people can achieve.

I can also swim underwater for much longer and much further than anyone I've ever met in real life. Again, I know there are free divers and other folk who can go much further than me, but among all the people I've ever known, I am vastly better than them all at this. It's my secret pointless skill.
Apparently the record is just over 24 minutes. Yeah, there’s no need to do that.

Anyway, there turns out to be a medical term for this. It is called respiratory alkalosis and the specific symptom of my hands is called tetany. The cause obviously is hyperventilation.

·
Registered
INTP
5,268 Posts
Today's random thought: Why are speeding offences considered so much worse when a collision and/or manslaughter is involved? If you're caught going at 48 in a 30 zone, you'll get fined and maybe put on a driving awareness course or something, but if you kill someone at 48 in a 30 zone it becomes manslaughter and prison.

At first this all just seems obvious, but consider this: People who are caught with a large stash of drugs are likely to be charged with "intent to supply", even if they haven't been caught selling the drugs on. This is equivalent to people caught speeding being charged with "intent to manslaughter", even if they didn't kill anyone.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Today's random thought: Why are speeding offences considered so much worse when a collision and/or manslaughter is involved? If you're caught going at 48 in a 30 zone, you'll get fined and maybe put on a driving awareness course or something, but if you kill someone at 48 in a 30 zone it becomes manslaughter and prison.

At first this all just seems obvious, but consider this: People who are caught with a large stash of drugs are likely to be charged with "intent to supply", even if they haven't been caught selling the drugs on. This is equivalent to people caught speeding being charged with "intent to manslaughter", even if they didn't kill anyone.
Yes, depends on how much influence can be exerted to avoid running over a person when ones does show up. It is indeed extremely limited (if not 0%) so the 'situation' and the 'potential situation' = pretty much equal, therefore the punishment should be pretty much equal.

Why they aren't, I guess is part of the roulette-element that is life? Plus... people have a hard time dealing with abstractions. They simply wouldn't understand. It's too difficult for them to see why they are charged this severely when 'clearly nothing happened??' They need hard evidence before something is real and therefore comprehensible.

Reactions: HAL
30301 - 30320 of 30365 Posts