Personality Cafe banner

30641 - 30660 of 30806 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I think being "so glad to hear" someone, isn't so much about what they are saying, but the opportunity for us to react to what they are saying. It activates a response that we feel 'matters'. But the response still comes from within ourselves and not the other.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
I'm learning Vietnamese with Duolingo.

So far I'm getting good at answering Vietnamese language questions in the Duolingo format.
I’m learning Greek. I like how it teaches the sounds of the letters to make them familiar instead of starting off in depth about every letter in the alphabet making it easier to forget.

Everything in Greek sounds like an English word to me.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If you want to get out of your headspace more: use your senses

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
The most amazing thing happened this morning.

I woke up and specially decided to play a song on youtube from my phone, just while generally getting dressed, eating breakfast, etc.

It was this song:

I don't even really like this kind of music, but this song is just great, I could play it on repeat for a whole day. Also, I never play songs from from my phone like this. It was a real spontaneous thing. I'm not normally a music-oriented guy at all.

I then decided to have a shower, and specially decided to play Radio 1 from my phone while showering, just to keep up the music vibes. And again, this is another thing I never, ever do. Ever!

And guess what the first song was that came on? The same song that I had just chosen to listen to 5 minutes ago!

I don't believe in magic hocus pocus or whatever, but it really was the most marvellous thing. When that song came on, I leaned my head out of the shower and just gawped at my phone with the greatest WTF-happy face I've ever pulled.

The stars truly aligned this morning.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Love this, my French is 'alright' (third language, 7/10 I'd say). And I'm using this app called 'Slowly' where you sent people letters across the world. Got one from a French woman today, in English, but I replied in a French-English mix often switching over mid sentence. Top entertainment for a language... freak is a bit strong, but enthusiast.
Wonder how she'll reply. But that'll be at least another 4-5 hours because the letters take time to arrive, that's the whole concept of the app. Allez-y!

(Also, as much of a fan I am of the English language, some things actually work even better in French...Dutch on the other hand is pure bleep.)

·
Registered
INTP
5,338 Posts
How interesting. Pandemic boredom is finally getting to me, and I was thinking of finding something both fun and edifying. Not sure whether Slowly would be right for me (in Spanish), but it's a thought.

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
How interesting. Pandemic boredom is finally getting to me, and I was thinking of finding something both fun and edifying. Not sure whether Slowly would be right for me (in Spanish), but it's a thought.
For me it's winter boredom I think.

I'm finally feeling a bit 'meeehhhhh' about a lot of stuff. Short days, no reason to go outside, life getting a bit repetitive. It's probably a lot worse for other people though.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If you're completely honest with people right from the start, you'll never have to think through your words.

Reactions: HAL

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
So Chris Langan believes that supernatural powers are possible. All of James Randi’s dismissals of supernatural powers result from overly narrow criteria, him being a former conman is not being intellectually honest because he presumed that supernatural powers can be evoked whenever he feels like it rather than spontaneously.

The Heart Sutra is also false because it’s not logically consistent and emptiness can not define reality. For it to be so would be nonsensical like stating that relativism is an absolute truth. Thus, it is nihilism and a rabbit hole of nonsense.

Furthermore, we are all instantiations or images of God and Jesus provided the most Global Utility although some others have had comparable impacts. God is personal in that there is a one-to-many mapping of God onto people and since people are person, the retraction from many-to-one is personal. So God is personal and it is sure that prayer is important, he believes in the monotheistic God and Einstein’s God at the same time.

There is also a wonderful quality to reality known as the Self-Dual quality. There are two aspects to one thing in opposing directions.

The principle of conpansive duality is outlined here:
Cosmic expansion and ordinary physical motion have something in common: they are both what might be called ectomorphisms. In an ectomorphism, something is mapped to, generated or replicated in something external to it. However, the Reality Principle asserts that the universe is analytically self-contained, and ectomorphism is inconsistent with self-containment. Through the principle of conspansive duality, ectomorphism is conjoined with endomorphism, whereby things are mapped, generated or replicated within themselves.
This duality describes the two opposite ways in which the same process (the evolution of the universe) can be viewed. From the local vantage, the universe expands as a function of time. From the global vantage the universe remains constant in size and matter contracts into itself (along with all intrinsic measurement scales) as a function of time. Expansion and contraction are dual aspects of the same process and so form a conspansive duality. (The reason the universe can't "actually" be expanding into nothing is precisely because there is nothing outside of reality for it to expand into.)

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The most amazing thing happened this morning.

I woke up and specially decided to play a song on youtube from my phone, just while generally getting dressed, eating breakfast, etc.

It was this song:

I don't even really like this kind of music, but this song is just great, I could play it on repeat for a whole day. Also, I never play songs from from my phone like this. It was a real spontaneous thing. I'm not normally a music-oriented guy at all.

I then decided to have a shower, and specially decided to play Radio 1 from my phone while showering, just to keep up the music vibes. And again, this is another thing I never, ever do. Ever!

And guess what the first song was that came on? The same song that I had just chosen to listen to 5 minutes ago!

I don't believe in magic hocus pocus or whatever, but it really was the most marvellous thing. When that song came on, I leaned my head out of the shower and just gawped at my phone with the greatest WTF-happy face I've ever pulled.

The stars truly aligned this morning.
Hah, similar experience for me today...

It went My house, My house, My house in my head.
Not my style at all, normally, but I'm hooked on this one for the time being:

Ah but maybe I just misinterpreted things. More like normal service resumed:

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
I've decided it's time to get a little bit more serious about restoring my fitness and physique. Lockdown isn't an excuse any more.

I just did 20 press-ups and now my arms feel very tired and weak. It'll be interesting to see the change as I get better each day.

I remember when I was about 18 I did similar and got to about 70 press-ups.

I also remember another time when I tried this, and never seemed to notice any improvement. Some days I would actually be worse, rather than better.

Anyway, it's press-up time. I probably won't do anything else either. Apparently press-ups are one of the best exercises for general core strength, and I'm too impatient to mix things up with sit-ups or whatever other super-duper things that the fitness enthusiasts harp on about. Well, I say that now... Gimme a month and I'll probably be doing all the super-duper things that the fitness enthusiasts harp on about.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Ctrl + enter: here to report it also works on Windows Mail app.

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
What I find interesting is how small-worldly some people are, and they're happy that way.

There's guy I knew at school who is very intelligent, sort of quirky and introverted. We got on very well. These days he just has a little life in a nearby town, going to work each day, not much interest in wider society or the wider world, plays video games and has an interest in Japanese culture. He went to Japan at one point, for a couple of weeks. I think his sister lives there too. Anyway that's all he did. He went to Japan for two weeks, and was content with that. For a guy who's into Japan, I don't understand how this is enough?? When I'm into something, I want to go full fucking immersion. To have a flat and purely research-based interest in something is not enough for me, specially if it relates to culture or language; it isn't real and it isn't enough. I just find it amazing that some folk will happily live in a plain little world, content as a relatively ignorant otaku of one's interests, instead of diving right in for the full immersion mind-meld experience.

That being said, I do similar when it comes to the more extreme types of travel. I tell myself I would love to go exploring in somewhere extreme like the Siberian wilderness, of the heart of the Congo, but I don't do that either. So maybe it's not necessarily about a specific mindset, but more about personal experience and random decisions that lead you to things you do.

30641 - 30660 of 30806 Posts