Personality Cafe banner

30681 - 30700 of 30806 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
My current post count for the month is 150. I feel like I'm on this website all the time these days. I work from home and always alt-tab to this and refresh to see what's happened. I feel like I'm on it all the time, and way too much.

I therefore would like to question how there are some users whose post counts are already around the 1500 mark for this month. I can't even imagine it. There are people out there who must sit on this forum all day, doing literally nothing else but churn out replies to every thread they can find, from morning till night, at the maximum rate they can physically achieve.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
Spiritual Gurus may be very egocentric. Seems like most them are some kind of Divine Solipsists who believe that they themselves are God within. To make matters worse their thesis is that everyone agrees, and everyone who has felt peace in their life understands this lie.

They seem to enjoy doing nothing challenging, let alone grasping reality. They reinterpret doctrines to suit their own conceptions. They seem to have a very attitude toward the truth and are big fans of pseudoscience.

I have seen a video where in Thailand when a person becomes a monk, they learn humility through actions like scrubbing the toilets.

How many of these enlightened masters went out of there way to deflate the ego by scrubbing a toilet?

Do you honestly think they would do it? I don’t know. Compassion for other human beings doesn’t seem like a large part of their practice.

Ironically, they are often millionaires flying helicopters and traveling the world repeating teachings that are easy to say while not doing anything.

Teachings that are incredibly easy to stomach for most people. I remember one of my first threads, I directly criticized my psychologist for promoting self-esteem because if you constantly hold yourself in esteem, how would you ever improve? These teachings are like self-esteem on drugs. I think it works to some degree, but only selfishly. They may talk about compassion or write books, but compassionate acts are not mere words. To actually act compassionately requires a tremendous transformation beyond any pseudo-transformation that they have thus far displayed.

Some people look up to people like Martin Luther King Jr. and Gandhi. These people were advocates for non-violence and compassion, they put themselves in danger to improve the lives of others. This is why they are in the history books.

Others just like to play some game in which their true Self is like the “awareness” in their mind that they can point at after rejecting everything else as their self.

But they never adopt the Middle Way which never advised a equivocal self or no self at all. People are incredibly prone to this lack of nuance. Emptiness is nothingness. The world is Maya, an illusion which is also reduced to saying nothingness.

If there is a Self then it is Eternal. If there is no Self, then what is a person? Well, apparently they must then be cosmic awareness, God. The inventor of everything. But that’s also the Self. Which is fine to say for them because all teachings are equal. That’s the one true teaching of all religions. They have gotten science horribly wrong, but unfortunately people fail to see that they don’t understand religion either. The fools.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My current post count for the month is 150. I feel like I'm on this website all the time these days. I work from home and always alt-tab to this and refresh to see what's happened. I feel like I'm on it all the time, and way too much.

I therefore would like to question how there are some users whose post counts are already around the 1500 mark for this month. I can't even imagine it. There are people out there who must sit on this forum all day, doing literally nothing else but churn out replies to every thread they can find, from morning till night, at the maximum rate they can physically achieve.
Hah, was thinking something similar myself. PerC always comes in phases and I'm definitely on a high recently.
As for the 1000+ machines, they're mostly active in the 'games' section I'll call it (respond in five words, describe person in one word, start word with last letter of previous word, etc.) They aren't the highbrow thinkers like ourselves.

Also: here ploof! some dopamine.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
When you talk to a British person, the pounds and pence ones, you will find that their accent is strong. Like a Scottish person or Irish stereotype. The other areas are just as powerful in their difference from the American speak.

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
Press-up quest continues.

Today I did 20 again, but much more quickly than the 20 I managed on Monday.

I could have done more, but I don't want to have such sore arms that I can't do any tomorrow. I am now applying strategy to my regime.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
There was a time I could do 100, late teens-early twenties. Now I'm happy with my 3 sets of 15 reps and not drop dead.

Stamina is key with push-ups. Muscles, yes (shoulders/back/chest), but it's a test of endurance most of all. And if you really wanna push (up) it: try planking straight after.

Reactions: HAL

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
I’m watching a documentary about Himalayan Nomads.

Their fascination with technology easily exceeds some of the old folks in my family. They like solar panels and satellite phones.

They have some real problems. Amazing that some people like to go hang out in the woods for fun.

I believe the documentary has some global warming focus as life as become even more difficult for the nomads due to loss of vegetation, food for the animals that is.

One boy wants to go to the town. But the father and grandfather are against it. They explain that when the boy gets to the town, he will be treated like a refuge. They showed videos of former nomads in the town, they are like homeless people. At least in the mountains, they have each other to depend upon.

Sun damage is real, their eyes were destroyed over time. A child had extreme sunburn on his face. This is their way of life, but it is fading as more move to the town and the environment deteriorates.

This makes me wonder about Anarcho-Primitivists. Why they think going back to nature will fix all of our problems is an unknown.Perhaps it can, but it will also introduce whole new ones. Ironically, they criticize society’s structures and organizations, but they seem not to question themselves.

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
This makes me wonder about Anarcho-Primitivists. Why they think going back to nature will fix all of our problems is an unknown.Perhaps it can, but it will also introduce whole new ones. Ironically, they criticize society’s structures and organizations, but they seem not to question themselves.
I think it depends on where one decides to live that primitive life. In the himalayas it's way too harsh, mainly because of thin air, harsh sun and arid ground, but in many parts of Europe (and probably the Americas, or anywhere temperate) its quite possible to go back to basics.

I recently saw a news story about a Scottish bloke who went to live alone in the Highlands, and was doing okay. That includes Scottish winter too.

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
There was a time I could do 100, late teens-early twenties. Now I'm happy with my 3 sets of 15 reps and not drop dead.

Stamina is key with push-ups. Muscles, yes (shoulders/back/chest), but it's a test of endurance most of all. And if you really wanna push (up) it: try planking straight after.
I did another set of 15 a few minutes ago.

Woohoo, improvement!

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
I think it depends on where one decides to live that primitive life. In the himalayas it's way too harsh, mainly because of thin air, harsh sun and arid ground, but in many parts of Europe (and probably the Americas, or anywhere temperate) its quite possible to go back to basics.

I recently saw a news story about a Scottish bloke who went to live alone in the Highlands, and was doing okay. That includes Scottish winter too.
Going to Mars sounds more fun and it’s already been decided by Elon Musk, so we can’t turn back now.

I read the Wikipedia. It’s basically post-communism. Capitalism makes everyone a drone, yadiyadiyada...boring stuff, no aliens, no nothing.

Nomad life sucks, but I suppose that is civilization’s fault. Global warming destroyed my Himalayan water.

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
Global warming destroyed my Himalayan water.
One small point of order!

The Tibetan side of the Himalayas has always been arid, for purely geographical reasons. I think it's one of the coolest examples of 'geography in action' on the planet. You can really see how the mountains are a real wall; wind only comes in from the east, so rainwater from the Arabian Sea gets as far as North India and Nepal, and it stops there, raining down on the south side and creating lush greens, while the north side gets nothing. The north side is also mostly very high altitude, so the air is thin, which makes the sun super harsh. It's why Tibetans look so rough. Their skin has had to evolve through some serious UV.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
3,308 Posts
I think it depends on where one decides to live that primitive life.
most don't fully go back to nature.. it's frequently split into two groups, the modern primitives that often have a sociocultural longing with an absence of connection to their own which frequently exhibits itself in the way of body modification and those with a desire to be a part of a community or at least get back to more simple values

so, instead they form collectives instead of truly homesteading or surviving the wilds.. of course, there are several homesteaders, tho, most tend to have other reasons, primarily longterm economic and sociocultural reasons, secondary.. intellectual curiousity rather than global politics.

Often it doesn't last too long as a result of relationships or growing families, changing laws and generally the need to form greater, wider, connections. . . even among the branches of formal religious groups do we find a need to do business with the outside world to ensure their survival.

permies is a good forum if you're interested in learning... and there are many such minded people on backyard chickens.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
One small point of order!

The Tibetan side of the Himalayas has always been arid, for purely geographical reasons. I think it's one of the coolest examples of 'geography in action' on the planet. You can really see how the mountains are a real wall; wind only comes in from the east, so rainwater from the Arabian Sea gets as far as North India and Nepal, and it stops there, raining down on the south side and creating lush greens, while the north side gets nothing. The north side is also mostly very high altitude, so the air is thin, which makes the sun super harsh. It's why Tibetans look so rough. Their skin has had to evolve through some serious UV.

View attachment 872938
I have an anecdote of an old man who said who used to see water in his valley during his earlier life, but water no longer exists.

These high altitudes have led mountain dwellers to develop genes that increase their birthweight, resting metabolism and lung capacity.

Those are all nice to haves. I wonder what else these larger lung capacities can be used for. Perhaps breaking some breathing underwater records hmm?

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
These high altitudes have led mountain dwellers to develop genes that increase their birthweight, resting metabolism and lung capacity.

Those are all nice to haves. I wonder what else these larger lung capacities can be used for. Perhaps breaking some breathing underwater records hmm?
They also have thicker or wider aortas and are at greater risk of heart disease because of it.

I researched a lot about high altitude life when I was in China, because there was a chance my girlfriend (a surgeon) was going to have to do her bit for the state health service and work a few months in a remote town, which for us would have meant going to the Tibetan Autonomous Region.

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
3,308 Posts
I wonder what else these larger lung capacities can be used for. Perhaps breaking some breathing underwater records hmm?
toking and smoking while living to a ripe old age..

if judging by the great many images of little old men smoking in these communities.

on the physiological level, those that live in extreme altitudes may have a higher risk for the bends and a greater susceptibility, sensitivity, to pressure shifts at lower altitudes. so, water pressure could be concern.

In general, not everyone is able to acclimate to the environment.. additional factors of health, genetics, lifestyle and environmental issues comes into play. obviously.

reminds me of the low/high/no gravity birth debates. . . and the survival of children born and/or raised in space or on other planets.

·
Registered
29,541 Posts
They also have thicker or wider aortas and are at greater risk of heart disease because of it.

I researched a lot about high altitude life when I was in China, because there was a chance my girlfriend (a surgeon) was going to have to do her bit for the state health service and work a few months in a remote town, which for us would have meant going to the Tibetan Autonomous Region.
toking and smoking while living to a ripe old age..

if judging by the great many images of little old men smoking in these communities.

on the physiological level, those that live in extreme altitudes may have a higher risk for the bends and a greater susceptibility, sensitivity, to pressure shifts at lower altitudes. so, water pressure could be concern.

In general, not everyone is able to acclimate to the environment.. additional factors of health, genetics, lifestyle and environmental issues comes into play. obviously.

reminds me of the low/high/no gravity birth debates. . . and the survival of children born and/or raised in space or on other planets.
The Yaks must live in high altitudes, they are well suited for them. But low altitudes, high temperatures, this will not be good for them.

They got a Wikipedia explanation on these, but I didn’t see anything special about the genetics of different low altitude people from different low altitude geographies.

Some people have learned the techniques to hold their breaths longer. But matters of the body are cast aside by society.

·
Registered
INTP
5,649 Posts
Some people have learned the techniques to hold their breaths longer. But matters of the body are cast aside by society.
My super-secret not-so-secret skill is that I can hold my breath way longer than anyone else.

Actually I'll add to that. I can swim underwater longer and further than anyone else. Breath-holding is a different matter; I think people are less scared of it because there's no drowning invovled, so perhaps there are more folk who can beat me at general breath-holding. But underwater swimming is my thing, I can go waayyyyyy further than anyone else who has ever tried it with me. This includes a guy who thought swimming was his thing because he went swimming most weeks. He got merked in the underwater competition.

30681 - 30700 of 30806 Posts