Personality Cafe banner

31421 - 31440 of 31528 Posts

·
Registered
INTP
6,256 Posts
For the first time in quite a while, I'm actually enjoying the programming I need to do for work.

I made a really cool image preview window thing which has left and right buttons for scrolling the view area if there are too many images to fit in. I also did a cool thing which decides if the left/right scroll functionality is needed, i.e. the buttons are greyed out if the view area can fit all the images in already. Also, I added extra functionality for adjusting the whole thing on the fly if the user resizes the window, i.e. it automatically resets the image view area as per the new size it's been given.

This is actually quite basic programming. But it's really fun to have something where the results appear on a screen. The past few months I've been doing back-end coding where the results are just more code.

Fun change of scenery!

·
Registered
INTP
6,256 Posts
In other positive news, I think I'm gonna give up on the smokes for a little while. I was having 3-4 per day for the past few weeks, and I didn't like the direction I was going in.

I haven't had a cig since Saturday, and rather interestingly I feel fine now. I guess this is further proof that I don't get easily addicted to cigarettes.

I'm sure I'll buy some again eventually, but yeah it's break time for now.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
For the first time in quite a while, I'm actually enjoying the programming I need to do for work.
I'm having the opposite situation. I have to do a refactor that doesn't add any functionality and which I'm pretty sure is just going to make our lives more difficult instead of easier.

·
Registered
INTP
6,256 Posts
I'm having the opposite situation. I have to do a refactor that doesn't add any functionality and which I'm pretty sure is just going to make our lives more difficult instead of easier.
The project I'm working on now is so clunky, convoluted and rushed that it doesn't need a refactor, it needs a rewrite, even though the final product hasn't even been released yet. I'm so happy that I get to leave before the shit hits the fan.

The whole thing is running on 5+ year old tech. The web part of the project is built with ASP and jQuery. I feel like I'm working on a dinosaur product. It amazes me. A company releasing a new platform based on jQuery and Net Framework, in the year 2021.

My new job is going to be Net Core and React, woohoo! I've never worked on React at the corporate professional level and I'm super excited for it.

·
Registered
30,142 Posts
The project I'm working on now is so clunky, convoluted and rushed that it doesn't need a refactor, it needs a rewrite, even though the final product hasn't even been released yet. I'm so happy that I get to leave before the shit hits the fan.

The whole thing is running on 5+ year old tech. The web part of the project is built with ASP and jQuery. I feel like I'm working on a dinosaur product. It amazes me. A company releasing a new platform based on jQuery and Net Framework, in the year 2021.

My new job is going to be Net Core and React, woohoo! I've never worked on React at the corporate professional level and I'm super excited for it.
I remember when I was in college and they deliberately teaching that stuff for developers. Things change fast.

I kind of got lazy with my Python script and I’m cheating it instead of giving it proper error handling. But I have run it on highly critical production devices and everything is fine so far.

·
Registered
INTP
6,256 Posts
I remember when I was in college and they deliberately teaching that stuff for developers. Things change fast.

I kind of got lazy with my Python script and I’m cheating it instead of giving it proper error handling. But I have run it on highly critical production devices and everything is fine so far.
I love error handling. Feels like I'm doing 'proper' programming, handling edge cases etc.

I definitely don't always do it though.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm gonna give poker another shot. Was my obsession 5-10 years ago, age 17-22. Haven't really touched the game or any theory since, but I feel like I might come back a stronger player anyway.

Leeet's find out.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I'm gonna give poker another shot. Was my obsession 5-10 years ago, age 17-22. Haven't really touched the game or any theory since, but I feel like I might come back a stronger player anyway.

Leeet's find out.
Hah, so I still got it. First session was a success. I was really only testing the waters, but I played some vintage stuff, like I had never been out of it, and turned a fair profit in the end. Of course, I don't give a hoot about the money (plus, it's way too early to draw any conclusions), but if I am gonna be serious about it... then profitability is the only measure to justify going for it (sadly).

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,691 Posts
Hah, so I still got it. First session was a success. I was really only testing the waters, but I played some vintage stuff, like I had never been out of it, and turned a fair profit in the end. Of course, I don't give a hoot about the money (plus, it's way too early to draw any conclusions), but if I am gonna be serious about it... then profitability is the only measure to justify going for it (sadly).
I really like game theory and strategy, but I've never played poker. I've always been curious about it. All of that to say, I like your updates.

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,691 Posts
I bet money to make myself exercise. I know it's weird AF, but I really wont otherwise. I've made a decent amount of money to just like get off my ass and walk my dog. I apparently dont feel the need to go to the gym if I pay for that, but having the $35 in limbo and being able to get it back + others who don't follow money somehow works for me.

·
Registered
INTP
6,256 Posts
I just had one of those moments where you get something really funny in your head but it's actually not funny so you have to contain your laughter.

I was in my morning skype meeting with the work guys, and my boss mentioned a meeting at "13:00 CST".

CST is Central Standard Time, which is a time zone somewhere in North America. What my boss really wanted to say was "Czhech Time", because that's where half the programmers are based.

But what came into my head?

This is Mumbai International Airport, and it has the code designation "CST".

After my boss said "CST", I couldn't stop thinking "Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport" with the strongest Indian accent my mind could imagine.

Not funny, but hilarious to my inner world at that time.

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport!

·
Registered
INTP
6,256 Posts
In heavier news, my weight loss has really stagnated. I went up to about 80kg at the weekend, and am 79.4kg today (compared to my all-time low of 78.5kg). Last weekend's shenanigans really did a number on my downward weight-loss trajectory.

I'm now back into serious mode, and luckily don't have any family/barbecue/alcohol commitments coming up, so my quest for trimness can continue.

·
Registered
INTP
6,256 Posts
Another small joy! Just found that orange juice can help to dissolve kidney stones.

So I've now added fresh orange juice to my arsenal of coke zero replacements, and everything is wonderful. More sugary, but it's healthier sugar, so it's wonderful.

·
Premium Member
INTP (I thimk) 5w
15,852 Posts
And is it covid-proof?
Purgatory is not meant to be enjoyed. If you don't bring Covid with you, you have a shot at a higher place. If you did, well, you are eligible for the other lower one.

·
Registered
INTPish (549)
130 Posts
I had some serious reactions to the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine yesterday... trouble breathing, extreme fatigue, and a cough. I literally had to stop everything and lay in bed for 24 hours. I don't know if I should get the second dose, because it's supposed to be even stronger. 😟

31421 - 31440 of 31528 Posts