Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 29579 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
When I'm over depression, I think, "why did I ever feel the way I used to?" but when I'm not feeling manic, it's so hard to think of what it felt like to be thinking that. No matter how happy I get, I always return to this state of hopelessness where all I can think is, "what's the point of going through this? I remember happy moments, but they can't be worth what I'm going through now." I feel whiny when I'm like this. But I also feel like it's not my fault, and I can't do anything about it. Emotions are uncontrollable for me. For me, they have nothing to do with external, controllable things. I see people around me who seem depressed and then all of a sudden they get some money or a boyfriend or something and they're happy. Why can't happiness be that easy for me to achieve?
I'm assuming that you are not depressed but feel depressed occasionally.

I have moments of existential despair too. Whenever I am depressed, I try to discuss and debate with myself, rationally and truthfully and uncensored, to find the core issue, and after a while, I feel more content. Sometimes I need to refresh my mind by walking, driving, meditating, exercising, or escaping by spending time with people. Other times, I search for answers to the difficult questions that I pose myself, from outside sources, of which I might consider honest or respectable.

Perhaps you seek happiness directly and examine your emotions whenever you feel pleasure rather than finding the means to induce happiness. Using myself as an example again, I want to engage in a passion or interest rather than directly seek the emotion of happiness. Maybe your definition of happiness differs from those you see around you, or perhaps, they seem happy but suffer from an inner turmoil.

As an INTP, or as a human being, you question your life, what you could do, how you have failed in the past, why you exist, and what the meaning of your existence is. The dread of self-examination and the compulsion that comes with it drives us into disparaging states. We all suffer from a cruel and absurd world, but we project our mentality to shade the meaning or meaninglessness of it all.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Right now, I'm wondering about that whole "Are you okay?" thing when I'm just thinking.

I mean, if people constantly think that when somebody goes silent and has a firm look on their face that there is something the matter, it makes me wonder about the F's.

Cause, really, I know that F's aren't just automatically dumb or anything. You can be an F and very intelligent, I believe! But when they go silent, are they not thinking?

If they are thinking, are they thinking about how depressed they are? Or how somebody said something that bothered them? That's still thinking too, but are they not analyzing it? What are they doing with that upsetting thought?

Does this mean when other people are quiet around me, I should actually snap them out of it because they're not thinking of anything useful?

It feels as if the answer should be right in front of me, like I've been this way myself, but I don't know for certain.

Hm.

I'm also thinking about, since I took that MBTI test, I've been classifying everyone I know in my head- or even characters from books (Margo Roth Spiegelman would be... INTP I think... Or an ENTP, but then you know, the moral of the whole book... Q is definately an ISTJ. ..I think anyway. Maybe an INTJ...) or from Anime (America would be ENFP?), and the likes...

Oh but now I'm thinking about the whole perception of one's self thing. Because there's three of you, you know? The way you view yourself, the way others view you, and the way you really are. I wonder if that effects MBTI? Hm. I wonder how others percieve me?

Now I'm thinking I want to reread Paper Towns.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cause, really, I know that F's aren't just automatically dumb or anything. You can be an F and very intelligent, I believe! But when they go silent, are they not thinking?

If they are thinking, are they thinking about how depressed they are? Or how somebody said something that bothered them? That's still thinking too, but are they not analyzing it? What are they doing with that upsetting thought?
Now you have raised that curious flag in my head once more. I have always thought that others had to be similar to me, that while I am silent of mouth, my head is a torment of thoughts. A constant voice going over the things said, information gained, ideas being sprouted from thin air. I almost never have a silent moment when my tongue holds still. Yet, I also have noticed that when I ask other what they are thinking, they are taken aback as if I just said something in a foreign language. Their surprise is strange to me, curious as I always want to probe deeper and see if they too hold vast amounts of constantly refreshing data streaming into their conscious mind or if they truly are just blank caverns that merely hold thoughts in suspension...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Now you have raised that curious flag in my head once more. I have always thought that others had to be similar to me, that while I am silent of mouth, my head is a torment of thoughts. A constant voice going over the things said, information gained, ideas being sprouted from thin air. I almost never have a silent moment when my tongue holds still. Yet, I also have noticed that when I ask other what they are thinking, they are taken aback as if I just said something in a foreign language. Their surprise is strange to me, curious as I always want to probe deeper and see if they too hold vast amounts of constantly refreshing data streaming into their conscious mind or if they truly are just blank caverns that merely hold thoughts in suspension...
I'm sure that's not the case... I'm sure they are thinking, but maybe they just digest thoughts differently? We're never not thinking right? Or maybe they're just thinking slower. I read somewhere that F's do think like T's, just think slower, that maybe it takes a while longer to process the information. Maybe it's not that they just fly through subjects and ideas, but maybe are just savoring the taste, and....

But if that was the case we wouldn't be asked all the time "are you okay" when we're thinking. *scratches neck* Which brings me back to thinking they're just thinking about their feelings. But it's still thinking...

Oh! Which reminds me!
I've also been thinking, for a while now, but I've been touching upon in my head and then abandoning it for other thoughts because I figure thinking about this will get me nowhere...

For all the rest, I can understand- and I mean that in the sense of Introvert is the opposite of Extrovert. Sensing is the opposite of Intuition. Judgement is the opposite of Perceiving. But is thinking really the opposite of feeling? That's what thought I've been chewing on whenever I come to the idea that maybe MBTI isn't fully accurate.

It's that, it's that right there! Can you not be both at the same time? Be a lot of each? Although decision making you may choose one over the other, can you not be an emotional person who loves to think? Or a cold genius who actually makes decisions based on heart over head?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
But if that was the case we wouldn't be asked all the time "are you okay" when we're thinking. *scratches neck* Which brings me back to thinking they're just thinking about their feelings. But it's still thinking...

For all the rest, I can understand- and I mean that in the sense of Introvert is the opposite of Extrovert. Sensing is the opposite of Intuition. Judgement is the opposite of Perceiving. But is thinking really the opposite of feeling? That's what thought I've been chewing on whenever I come to the idea that maybe MBTI isn't fully accurate.

It's that, it's that right there! Can you not be both at the same time? Be a lot of each? Although decision making you may choose one over the other, can you not be an emotional person who loves to think? Or a cold genius who actually makes decisions based on heart over head?
I am quite honestly lost in a torrent of ideas now that I cannot completely respond to this. I do believe that they are thinking but you strike a point in that why would they always ask us other-wise. I don't believe it's so much an opposite, or truly a form of thinking in the sense of MBTI and in our minds. While we consider the analyzing of our feelings to discover how deep they truly are, maybe they don't truly consider it "Thinking" maybe they see it as it says, "feeling" the extent of their emotions. While it makes sense to us to call it a form of thinking, maybe it does not to them. I am lost in this conundrum. If you could follow my thoughts, I applaud you, for I can barely do so.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am quite honestly lost in a torrent of ideas now that I cannot completely respond to this. I do believe that they are thinking but you strike a point in that why would they always ask us other-wise. I don't believe it's so much an opposite, or truly a form of thinking in the sense of MBTI and in our minds. While we consider the analyzation of our feelings to discover how deep they truly are, maybe they don't truly consider it "Thinking" maybe they see it as it say "feeling" the extent of their emotions. While it makes sense to us to call it a form of thinking, maybe it does not to them. I am lost in this conundrum
You might be onto something there! Maybe they're spending that time when they're not speaking and making that look that makes people ask "are you okay?" they're just feeling all that they can feel. Amplifying the feeling for maximum feelage!

I do believe that people who are a lot more emotional tend to be a lot less depressed as a whole, and it might be because of this- that they're just feeling as much as they can feel, and maybe after that, it's done with? They've already felt all that they're going to feel out of it? IDK. Should I ask another board?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You might be onto something there! Maybe they're spending that time when they're not speaking and making that look that makes people ask "are you okay?" they're just feeling all that they can feel. Amplifying the feeling for maximum feelage!

I do believe that people who are a lot more emotional tend to be a lot less depressed as a whole, and it might be because of this- that they're just feeling as much as they can feel, and maybe after that, it's done with? They've already felt all that they're going to feel out of it? IDK. Should I ask another board?
If you ask, send me the link, for you have stirred my interest. And I don't believe they just "feel out of it" I believe that feeling then most likely morphs into another, slowly or rapidly depending on the situation. Or...or...or...maybe they are like us! Maybe they have torments of, instead of ideas, feelings and emotions based on the environment and people and situations occuring around them. That, instead of searching for meaning they look for a way to help themselves or other become comfortable and enjoy a better feeling like when we try to enjoy a good conversation or debate with the thoughts in our heads! Still, just spouting random ideas.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ha, sorry to come back into this INTP thread again, but I was reading Sparktrog's and InevitableKriss' conversation. xD
That is interesting..your theories. As an F myself (not a very solid F however) I'll say that we are thinking but not in the same way. In your terms I would say it's not logical thinking, its the careful consideration of how we feel about whatever we're thinking of and possibly how others might feel towards it. Sparktrog is closer when he says instead of torrents of ideas.

I know for myself that I'm always thinking like that.
Its not something I can stop. Not too sure about the "feeling the extent of our current emotions"...
Unless its something I very very thoroughly enjoy, most likely not going to bask in the after moments of the emotions I feel from certain things. Sometimes we just need to silence to collect.

It's kinda...cute to see what you both think though...as if this feel word has a whole of meaning of life attached.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ha, sorry to come back into this INTP thread again, but I was reading Sparktrog's and InevitableKriss' conversation. xD
That is interesting..your theories. As an F myself (not a very solid F however) I'll say that we are thinking but not in the same way. In your terms I would say it's not logical thinking, its the careful consideration of how we feel about whatever we're thinking of and possibly how others might feel towards it. Sparktrog is closer when he says instead of torrents of ideas.

I know for myself that I'm always thinking like that.
Its not something I can stop. Not too sure about the "feeling the extent of our current emotions"...
Unless its something I very very thoroughly enjoy, most likely not going to bask in the after moments of the emotions I feel from certain things. Sometimes we just need to silence to collect.

It's kinda...cute to see what you both think though...as if this feel word has a whole of meaning of life attached.
:wink: Awkward geeky nerds are always cute. But thanks, though. Heheh!

But thank you for the introspect here!

Okay, so what you're saying is, when you get all silent, and people have to ask you "Are you okay?" it's because you're thinking of a topic and taking careful consideration to pinpoint your exact emotions on the topic, and other's as well? (Basically, I'm repeating what you're saying, but I'm trying to clarify for myself. xD)

And do you tend to like the things that your friends (or other people in general) like just because they like them? Since you're considering it and everything....

Also, since you're here, (and thank you so much for your input!) then can you tell me about that whole question, "are you okay?", if I see a feeling person get quiet, should I actually ask this? Is this me doing them a favour, or should I leave them alone? What's your personal opinion on that?

I think, for myself, I've been trying to pinpoint what my feelings actually are, and why I feel those feelings, and then where those feelings belong, but I don't typically think about other people's feelings about the same thing... Does that make sense?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well there's that. The consideration of what might be going on (the topic) OR...we could just be thinking about something completely different. I think this really depends on whether we are S or N Fs. If the person is NF, it might just be that their imagination has taken them elsewhere. xD

Not always. I run it through my own preferences. Sometimes if I like the other person's reasoning enough I might like it myself. Then there are the people who I trust enough to influence my personal opinions, but those are sort of rare. We're just considering it. Sort of asking ourselves, "Do I like/agree with this?" or the "How does this make me feel?" but mostly on the unconscious level. Sometimes, we don't have an exact opinion...this goes for things that don't take importance or things we feel can stay neutral (either/or). The difference is in the fact that we decide it can be neutral, rather than we didn't think about it yet therefore we are neutral.

You're very welcome : ) I like helping out my fair share of INTPs.

This is tough. For me, you wouldn't have to ask. I'm most likely in lala-land or contemplating something else..and if I actually do need help I will seek comfort from people I trust. Best is not to ignore it, but maybe a pat or a smile if you are close. Don't actually need to ask the question. However, I'm not too sure if other feelers would want the same. It depends deeply on the person and your relationship with them too.

Yes..! We aren't so different xD The biggest show of these considerations is probably choice-making. I would weigh my own desires, feelings, and personal impact versus the desires, feelings and impact on/of others. My Fe keeps me thinking about others so maybe not all feelers are like that. :' )

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thank you! I think I have a better understanding of this now!

In fact, it's not as emotionally turmoilish as I thought it would be. It actually seems pretty reasonable and understandable! Thank you for explaining it to me, and in such a fashion that it made since.

:D We're not so different after all.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Not a problem at all : ) INFJs tend to be the most T out of the Fs and maybe that's why.

Nah, like you said before, we can be intellectual too.
Enough to have some logical reason behind our actions at least :' )b

I've been working on speaking the INTP-language hehe.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm eating tuna right now. Isn't there a religion that won't eat animals, but think eating fish is okay? They figure that they're not murdering it, so much as removing it from its environment. So, if someone shot me into space without a space suit, that wouldn't be murder, just removing me from my environment?

*eats tuna*

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Eruceht's avatar is neato. That guy has interesting hair. The cover for that movie (Eraserhead?) was neat; I liked his expression. He is oddly appealing. Not cute, but like when I find something I want to poke.

I can't stand listening to my dad talk about politics. I hate his little phrases. "Let me give you some information." "Let me say it so that you can understand." I hate how he sounds (only to me, apparently) like a propaganda poster.

I want to make propaganda posters. They're stupid, but also interesting.

----

Christ, my thoughts are so inane.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Christ, my thoughts are so inane.
Welcome to the club :)

Chores and research really need to be done but I enjoy the lazing ideas of procrastination. The ability to surf the forum, flip through my Astronomy Magazine, talk to friends, and just relax during this break is amazing.

Although, a certain feeling of hesitation flows through my spine when I notice both of my parents up and about after arriving home from work. Specifically after the hypocritical shouts we receive from my father one night only to have him half intoxicated and enjoying an evening with us.

I hate hypocrites, him in particular do to his absolute desire to make us "responsible." Yet, constantly leaving his own room a mess, his own bird (which we decried against caring for so that he'd finally do it) is hardly looked after, and if there are things to be done, he would rather shrug them off for us to do them and then yell that we don't have the initiative of a mature and responsible adult.

What are adults anyways but just teenagers in a larger body? Maybe the hormones are slightly more controlled but the habits that are set in stay in unless one decides against it. Time and age appear to be irrelevant to the human brain in its processes so what difference does it matter? If anything, being an adult means that my brains capacity for learning has greatly lowered and slowed, so would it not be better for a person like myself, so intrigued in desiring to know everything I can, revert to a childish state? So that my mind might once more act like a sponge for new information and boundaries placed by modern society have no effect on the imaginative world that I used to live in when I was younger?

Wow...that ended up somewhere completely different than I intended.

21 - 40 of 29579 Posts