Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my original thought; I was just reading it another forum, and I found people's answers rather interesting.

It seems like a significant portion of the people in that thread were saying that they would save some stranger over their own dog.

This makes no sense to me. Can somebody enlighten me?

I love my dog; she is part of my family. She is just like a child to me. Always happy to see me. Protects my wife and I. Gives me love and affection. Plays with me. Looks at me with those big brown eyes, and wagging her tail, and all problems disappear.

So if she is somehow drowning, and at that very same moment, some stranger that I've never met is also drowning, why on earth would I chose to save the stranger's life? My dog is a part of my freakin family!

·
Banned
1,815 Posts
This is not my original thought; I was just reading it another forum, and I found people's answers rather interesting.

It seems like a significant portion of the people in that thread were saying that they would save some stranger over their own dog.

This makes no sense to me. Can somebody enlighten me?

I love my dog; she is part of my family. She is just like a child to me. Always happy to see me. Protects my wife and I. Gives me love and affection. Plays with me. Looks at me with those big brown eyes, and wagging her tail, and all problems disappear.

So if she is somehow drowning, and at that very same moment, some stranger that I've never met is also drowning, why on earth would I chose to save the stranger's life? My dog is a part of my freakin family!
Because human life is more valuable! We eat animals!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because human life is more valuable! We eat animals!
Why is a human life more valuable than an animals? You don't think that animals eat humans?

Is one in more danger than the other?
No, they are equally in danger of dying. Your dog dies, or the stranger dies. Take your pick.

I agree chilidog; I'd save my own dog over a stranger any day of the week.

Lets face it, the stranger is probably a complete dick anyway :wink:
Exactly! One of my cats, I found her outside on the sidewalk, it was cold and raining; the poor girl was so tiny and shivering. She fit in my palm - was just a baby. I cancelled my plans for the day, and took her home and took care of her. She's still incredibly clingy and is always wanting to be around me. Why would I give that up for some person I've never met, that I don't care about, and in all likelihood, is probably not contributing to life in any meaningful way? Not to mention, that stranger doesn't care about me whatsoever anyway.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It depends.

If it were a dog, I wouldn't save it. If it were a puppy, I'd save it. It were a child, I'd save her/him. If it was a grown man/woman, I'd go get help. And if s/he died while I was gone...Oh well. Shouldn't have gotten that close to the water anyways.

Reactions: nim and Espiculeas

·
Registered
70 Posts
Well, apologies to the random stranger, but... I'd save my dog. To me this is just like asking "your friend or a random stranger". Also, while I don't know *how* the stranger got there, it's reasonable to assume that they could have avoided the situation using their big smart primate-brain, while the dog may not have understood the risks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Save the stranger. importance of my species > other species

·
Registered
133 Posts
No matter how emotionally attached I am to my dog I would let it sink.
Tearing but unequivocal decision.

That also saves the hassle to find an explanation for the court and dealing with the relatives of the deceased that would very probably want to play that game again with you and your dog.
And would go for the "both drown" option.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not really sure...but I think the stranger simply because humans generally live longer than dogs. Therefore you are most likely to save more "life" by saving a human stranger than by saving the dog. Also, you never know what this human being has accomplished/will accomplish in their lifetime; the dog will never accomplish anything of importance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not really sure...but I think the stranger simply because humans generally live longer than dogs. Therefore you are most likely to save more "life" by saving a human stranger than by saving the dog. Also, you never know what this human being has accomplished/will accomplish in their lifetime; the dog will never accomplish anything of importance.
What if the stranger was a drug addict whom was 40 years old and lived in his parents' basement?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm not really a fan of questions like this, because I honestly don't know how I would react until I was put into the situation...

However I guess if I had to save one, it would be the human. The fact is dogs have short life spans and die often due a myriad of health concerns or accidents as well. (Humans have health concerns and accidental deaths too, but my assumption is that they are a lot less likely to happen to a human.) The dog's death within my lifetime is something I'll have already come to terms with, where as I don't think I'd ever be able to forgive myself for not saving someone's life when I could have. This of course assumes I'm a good enough life guard to save either, as the dog would likely be much smaller and easier to save.

But I'll reiterate, I don't think intellectualizing a situation like this is very realistic. In the moment, I wouldn't have time to think about the consequences.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I would find a way to save them both. Understanding water and boats or beaches, I do not see how that would be impossible. I can operate a boat and swim well.

Assuming the above for some reason is impossible, I really hate to think of ether of my Scotties perishing and I love them dearly, but I would save the human. I could not turn my back on someone dying, watch it happen, and be happy with myself afterward.

I would call the news, tell my story about how I was forced to sacrifice my beloved pet, and become a local hero. Some kinder person would likely give me a new puppy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, I really don't understand how somebody could save a stranger vs a member of their own family, even if it is 'just' a pet. Just because my dog is not fluent in english, does not make her any less worthy of my love and attention.

I mean, who cares if a human has a longer lifespan than a dog? I don't know the human that is drowning, and my dog and I have a pretty close connection. Isn't quality vastly favored over quantity anyway? I would rather have 10 years of awesome love, affection, and attention, than 50 years of somebody I don't know living.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would find a way to save them both. Understanding water and boats or beaches, I do not see how that would be impossible. I can operate a boat and swim well.

Assuming the above for some reason is impossible, I really hate to think of ether of my Scotties perishing and I love them dearly, but I would save the human. I could not turn my back on someone dying, watch it happen, and be happy with myself afterward.

I would call the news, tell my story about how I was forced to sacrifice my beloved pet, and become a local hero. Some kinder person would likely give me a new puppy.
So, as much as you say that you love your dogs, you love a complete stranger more than them? Your dogs would give their life for you. Your dogs shower you with love, attention, affection, and playfulness. Their love is pure. No tricks. They protect you. They give you company. They're always happy to see you, will never cheat on you, and are the perfect listeners. And instead, you would rather them die than a complete stranger that you've never met, and in all likelihood, will never see again? That is just beyond comprehensible to me.

1 - 20 of 318 Posts