Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and your imagination.

I was reading up on my history when quite unrelated thought popped up in my head:

Do people of different races dream predominantly of people from their race?
Does the race of the people you mostly grow up with affect that? What if you're mixed or you grow up with a totally even ratio?

I grew up in Tunisia and had a lot of Sub-Saharan African classmates so Black and Mediterranean people appeared more in my dreams. Now that I live in Dubai, I see more White/South/East Asian people which I think has affected my dreams.

In regards to imagination:

If someone asks you to imagine a person who did x, which race would he/she be?

If you are any racial or ethnic minority that would give great insight.
Any answers are appreciated!

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
In my dreams and abstract imagination... only people that I've known seem to be assigned race, and this is of course the race that they are for real.

I don't assign it if I don't know it, unless I'm compelled to - e.g. making a character with a background for fiction, in which case I just pick something plausible or interesting.

Otherwise, people in my imagination are rather featureless, unless features are known and relevant.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I grew up in a small country town and as a child, my dreams always involved some societal aspect (either being in school or outside in the centre of town). Lately, my town has changed from predominately white, to a nice mix of different cultures and my dreams are beginning to reflect this change. I basically have so many different faces in my dreams, some I believe I only seen for a split second whilst crossing the road.. I have always been in awe of this and find it amazing, that whilst I don't think I am really paying attention to everyone around me, somewhere my brain is recording the data!

So yeah, I would back your hypothesis and think the introduction of race is more a sign of being "exposed" to more racial variety, rather than some crazy dream transformation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I read somewhere that when you dream, the faces that you see are of people you know. This means therefore it is impossible to dream about a stranger. When I thought about it, I found it to be true in my case, I have never actually seen a stranger's face in my dreams, although I have has occasions when I have dealt with strangers in my dreams.

As such, it is logical that if you lived in an area predominately of one race, you would predominately see people of that race in your dreams. This is especially true if your friends are all of that one race.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Now that I think of it, I've never dreamed of people (complete people that is). Any human being that exists in my dream takes the form of a shadow (think about shadow people). Even I sometimes am a shadow. Most of the time I am a disembodied being shapeshifting into various animals and rapidly traveling across the dream planes. Everyone in my dreams are shadows. I wonder if it means anything about myself or the way I perceive the world.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I read somewhere that when you dream, the faces that you see are of people you know. This means therefore it is impossible to dream about a stranger. When I thought about it, I found it to be true in my case, I have never actually seen a stranger's face in my dreams, although I have has occasions when I have dealt with strangers in my dreams.

As such, it is logical that if you lived in an area predominately of one race, you would predominately see people of that race in your dreams. This is especially true if your friends are all of that one race.
^ Interesting. I dream of strangers all the time. However, there are a few possibilities. First, it could be people I actually have seen before, but just filtered out my retrievable memory. Or it could be a "composite" person with bits and pieces of different people whom I do know.

That said, in my waking state, I can conjure up images of totally unfamiliar people in any shape or form that I wish. So I'd imagine that my mind would retain that ability in my sleep.

However, all concepts and imagery imaginable can be traced to prior exposure to real-life images, no matter how distantly. That's my theory, at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts