Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dad- ISTJ, The Duty Fulfiller.
Mom- ENTJ, The Executive.
C (17 Year Old Brother)- ESFP, The Performer.
B (14 Year Old Brother)- INTP, The Thinker.
K (7 Year Old Sister)- ENTP, The Visionary.

When I was growing up, my parents and I did not see each other eye to eye, but nowadays we understand our differences and are getting along a bit better now... Since therapy, I am developing some great coping skills and have developed some more Ti/Te in my personality now (I am able to take a deep breath, remove myself from the sitaution, analyze it, and underreact to it to reach a conclusion.) and this is making my parents see me more "grown up" than back then. XD

My dad is very... Idk how to put it, but it's hard to get affection from him... And whenever he has those rare days where he'll hug me, I freak the hell out and feel awkward and weird in his arms. :p My mom is more affectionate (though I have to initiate it if I want any from her, very rarely does she give them to me.) but it is a bit hard to explain things to her because then she'll disregard them as "black magic" and not listen to me explaining about something new I discovered. -_-

My brother C and I get along good. He is always out a lot so we're pretty distant emotionally, though we catch up from time to time. He does seem too abbrassive and loud sometimes, so I try not to hang around the same room as him when he gets irritable. When he makes jokes or plays around, he is hilarious and we have some grand ol' times together. It's fun to watch him. :p

My brother B and I are great friends. XD I admire his ever-growing intelligence, and we are both very casual when it comes to approaching life, as well share the same sense of silly humor.

My sister K and I seldom get along, although we do have moments where we play around and have some fun together. She has a very bad temper problem and is generally emotionally abusive... It's really scary hearing the things that come out of her mouth at such a young age. (Talks about killing other people, wishing she ran away or killed herself, etc.)

What about you guys?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Dad - ESTJ
Mom - ISFP
J (21 y/o bro) - ESTP

Dad and I clash. A lot. About everything. We have recently started to come to some sort of understanding though - basically I take time to form my thoughts prior to any discussions and clamp down on jumping to conclusions as I am prone to doing. He has started to understand that we don't think the same and that if given enough time/information, i can come to the same conclusion that he does/wants me to. It's been working out a bit better. Rather than blow up confrontations ending in me in tears and him threatening to pull me out of everything I was doing (in this case school based activities like band, theater, drumline, etc.) and much, much anger permeating the household every few days, we clamped that down to 1-3x per month.

Mum and I get along fantastically well. There are still times when we don't quite understand what the other is trying to say without additional info, but otherwise we're very close. To the point that we both unconsciously pick up on the other's habits. (One roommate told me I'm not allowed to talk with my mum too frequently because it was way too weird hearing me from her and vice versa.) If it wasn't for my mum, I'm pretty sure I would not be here today. She saved me over and over again and pulled me up out of some of my worst negative spirals. It helps that we've incredibly similar taste in books and shows and movies, so we could always reference back to them if we were having trouble understanding the other, which could be rather often with me talking in similes and her being fairly grounded in reality.

J and I got a long pretty well as kids and even as we got older. Yeah, we argued and grumped and poked and teased, but in general, he was a pretty cool little brother. I was an "alright" sister, which really meant he couldn't say anything more without losing cool points, but at least I didn't make him regret ever being born. We're wildly different and sometimes I'm not even sure we live in the same world, but we still manage to find common ground and all that. There are a lot of times that I *headdesk* and worry about him, but I think that has more to do with our moral compasses being vastly different than anything else. *shrugs*

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Mom: ISTJ (Duty Fulfiilers)
Dad: ESTJ (Guardians)
Bro: ISTJ (Duty Fulfillers)

Both of my parents weren't very affectionate in terms of giving hugs and saying nice things.
But their form of affection was doing things for me. They thought I was just like them but was more rebellious. They didn't realize that I was an INFP, let alone have any knowledge of MBTI. They were very much present oriented people, they never thought too hard about the future, only concentrated on gathering the nuts for winter, so to speak.

My brother was always listening to "what Mom and Dad said..." I could not get him to break the law in any way whatsoever, he would be like a rock. We would often argue and fight over ideas (we still do to this day) but we also had some good times. I would try to get him to see something new and exciting and he would just sit there and judge me. Mostly my family thought I was just being deliberately spiteful in my behavior and personality. They are not very deep people in terms of philosophy and the liberal arts, but they are very good at what they do.

It seemed like I was an alien in my own home. I could not relate to them in any meaningful way except in trying to please them, which of course wasn't good enough. But they tolerated me I guess because I was family, which in retrospect I'm grateful for.

If you've seen the movie Little Miss Sunshine, I was like that character Dwayne...

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm only gonna say those who I know for sure their type.

my brothers. my younger one is an ISFJ. He is 2 years younger than me. we get a long great, and played super well when we were kids. I always was the leader, which is kinda odd looking back. but he is very quiet and submissive and makes me look like a social animal LOL. He's very loyal and he's a friggin work horse. which is one thing I really admire about him. One thing though, we can have a good time now, but we don't talk that much - if that makes sense. I don't know him as well as I know some close friends. which I regret. As little kids we would play some of the weirdest games together and had a blast. one of our favorite things to do was build forts and play with beanie babbies LOL. the few times we woudl get into fights it would get nasty but then end just like that

My youngest brother is an ENFP. he is 5 years younger than me.

Growing up with him...was interesting. he was always the "odd one out"...me and my other brother were close and would always do things together. when we camped it would be me and him. and ENFP bro would be left out. He was very obnoxious and wild, and that's partly why we would leave him out a lot. However, on the contrary he was also a roit at times. when all 3 of us were getting along we'd have a blast together. Its interesting to see my ENFP bro and ISFJ bro interact.

as he has grown up (he's 17 now) I see that he is SUPER idealistic...maybe more so than me. but I can see how me an him are just a like. he really is just a more E version of me. I love talking about some of my weird thoughts and theories with him. and he's totally facinated by them. its a lot of fun. I definitely talk with this bro a lot more than my other one these days. but overall, i love them both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When it comes to my family and their personality types, we’re all over the place. I come from a home with a mother and a father, but also four older siblings. Three of which are boys, making my sister and I the only girls. The three eldest are married but I will only include my siblings and parents, no one else.

Of course, I am the only introvert in my immediate family. It’s…fun? Also, I’m typing them without the test…I’ve only done it a hundred times. x) I apologize for how long this is. My family is a small army.

Father – ENTP, The Visionary.
Mother – ESFP, The Performer.
1st Brother – ESTJ, The Guardian.
2nd Brother – ESTJ, The Guardian.
1st (and only) Sister – ENFJ, The Giver.
3rd Brother– ENTP, The Visionary.
Me! – INFP, The Idealist.

My father and I have always gotten along really well. I’m not entirely sure why. Maybe it’s because I’m the youngest and he’s more relaxed with me, or that I am the only child who practices self-control, or that I simply never ask for much. He’s very good at reading people and situations, and therefore has the skill to ‘command’ a room.

My mother and I have always butted heads. She’s prone to being a know-it-all and she will fight with or without solid facts to be deemed a winner in an argument. She can also be materialistic. However she’s a great mom and she’s always game with whatever I’m doing.

My 1st and 2nd brothers treat me well. They have the whole ‘older brother’ act down and play the part of ‘The Guardians’ to perfection. They’re very close in age which probably has something to do with their shared personality type. They’re also the most domineering when it comes to family matters, but they make up for it with their excessive love for their little sister. xD

My sister is my sister. She’s the only one I have. She’s a reporter and so she tends to annoy me with dozens of questions every time we speak, but she means well. She’s very supportive emotionally and is a hard worker. When we were both younger we seldom got along due to the sister rivalry, but now that we’re older, we are done with that. There is that occasional verbal spar…

My 3rd brother is just like my dad except…cooler? He’s the tech geek and the comedian of the family. He's also a social butterfly, you know, one of those guys no one seems able to hate. I admire that about him and always have. He is the sibling I admire most.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Est. of Family Types
Mom: ISFP (2w3-9w1-7w6)
We get along very well and relate to each other more than maybe anyone else in our lives, but we also sort of have a mother-daughter war of wills thing going on sometimes. She has always been one of my best friends.
Bro: ISFP (6w7-9w8-2w1)
When we were younger, we were inseparable. Then sibling rivalry happened. Sometimes we are total opposites, but sometimes we do happen to like the same things nonetheless.
Dad: ISTJ (6w5-2w1-1w9)
I avoid him as much as possible, because he is very loud, talkative, and critical.
Me: INFP (9w1-7w6-4w5)
It's been at times a love-hate relationship, but I think now we have something good and solid.

Reactions: Goosefish

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
Mom: ESFJ
Dad: ISTJ/ISTP
Younger brother: ESTJ/ESTP
Younger sister: ESFP

I didn't even include my grandparents, which I see a lot and are both ESFJs. Basically, no iNtuition and hardly an Introversion. Safe to say its not always easy, and I know they don't understand me. Being surrounded by so many SJs and extroverts has helped me develop those functions of my personality externally, so I suppose I can thank them for that.

It is sometimes weird though -- it seems like I can be ST if I want but they can't be NF, and as much as they try they apparently cannot seem to understand it.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
Mom: ISFJ, 6w5 (sp/so) - We get along pretty well. I was always closer to her than anyone else. Unlike a lot of people, she sort of... well, not understood, but played along with my INFP ways. I didn't feel weird for being an INFP child because of her. We also really, really relate about being E6's, too!

Dad: ESTx, 8w9 (so/sp) - I've almost given up trying to figure out if he's an ESTP or an ESTJ. My first impression was ESTP, though. We don't fight a lot, but we're not especially close. I have a hard time dealing with some of his extrovert habits and he doesn't always understand my INF habits. But he's the one I go to if I want to try new things, since Mom is often hesitant.

Sister: ESFP, 7w6 (so/sx) - She's six years older than I, which is a shame. It resulted in us always being in different areas of life and not talking much. We're getting closer as we get older, though. She definitely has aux-Fi, which is amusing to me... Somehow both the kids in this family ended up with good Fi.

Aunt (maternal): ESFP, 4w3 (so/sp) - Fairly sure she's an ESFP, but she's acting more like an ESFJ as she gets older... Anyway, putting her in here because she's almost like a second mother. You might be thinking "ZOMG, an extroverted Four?" Well, yes, it's fairly obvious when you get to know her. I rather like that she beats to her own drummer (is that idiom phrased right?), but she'll get really stubborn if something doesn't go her way sometimes which can be really petty in my view.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dad:ISTJ We get along ok, but I guess I can be a bit to unorthodox for him at times and it's strange to talk to him about anything personal. Not only is he an ISTJ, but also an educator (my High School Principal), so he has the thickest ISTJ rulebook, ever.

Mom:ISTJ We get along ok too, pretty much the same with my dad with the whole rule thing, but I think her having a less structured upbringing led her to be a bit more understanding of things that were out of the norm, therefore she seemed just a bit more "human" when I talked to her about things, as opposed to my dad.

1st Sister(35):INFJ I noticed she and I were more alike prior to ever learning about MBTI, however I've only ever lived with her for a month and a half, and it was while we were adults (21 and 35) so our relationship has never really developed into a true sibling relationship. We can get into deep arguments about things, and I'll always give in in some way, but other than that, I have the most peaceful relationship with her

2nd Sister(30):ISFJ find myself walking on eggshells around her. Even though I lived with her, I was never able to determine what would set her off. So basically we get along ok, then she'll get randomly pissed at me, give it 3 hours, repeat. Also, more than my other sister, she was always on my parents side when it came to rules (but only when I was breaking them...) so it was like having 3 parents.

·
Registered
752 Posts
...This topic is hard for me. Hard because my family's personalities are usually in an unhealthy state and manic phases, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong due to my inexperience with typing people, but I'm sure I'm not far off.

Older Brother (23) : ISTJ. We don't get along. I don't like him. He always thinks he's smarter than me and everyone else, and acts arrogant and selfish. Argues with mom alot (and dad before he passed). He has the asbergers syndrome, and even though he was diagnosed with it, he denies it, and refuses to seek help. I love him as a brother, but he's an ass. If you even try to give him advice, he'll automatically say something about you. I might post an example on the venting thread later.

Mom: ISFP. (53) My mom is schizophrenic. I can usually get along with her and talk about basic things (Nothing very personal) She argues like hell with my older brother in and out of her manic phases, so much so that they appear to be little children. They were arguing over a light bulb just yesterday. While she can't do much, she's supportive as a mother. At the same time if I do something that she doesn't agree with, then she'll make a big deal over it.

Younger Brother (15): INXX. I have very little idea about his personality. He's autistic, and his speech is very limited. I haven't really seen him public much, but he's very quiet when he's not with family, although he can be more outgoing when with family. He loves playing with me. (Not in a bad way, usually) We can find things to make fun of, and then I'll repeat it in a funny tone so that he laughs. Then he usually repeats after me. I admire his innocence.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Even if no one else reads this, I'm glad I got this off my chest :)

My dad is an ENTJ and my mom is an ISFJ, which, if you think about it, is just not typically a good match. They've had problems with communication and understanding each other, but I think it's starting to get better with the help of a counselor at church. As far as I can tell, their marriage survives because they both take their commitments and duties *very* seriously. Divorce would never be an option, and I'm sure they knew that before they got married. I can tell they love each other even though it's not always in the way I would express and understand love. My dad is very protective and can be overbearing and very critical at times. His anger can be quite scary and intense, especially for me, an INFP, when I was a child. He's never gotten violent, but his anger and, at times, harsh punishment can create considerable stress and strain--a strain that was almost permanent until recently.

I've grown to appreciate his objectiveness and unwavering commitment to doing the right thing. I have a tendency to take things too personally, but he reminds me: if something's not true, why listen to it? He helps me put things into perspective. I also admire his tenacity, a quality he's worked hard at instilling in me. Quitting is never an option for my dad. And if he is going to lose, he's going to lose knowing that he did his best and did the right thing...which isn't really losing in the long run. I also have to give him credit for helping me develop a thicker skin than I probably would otherwise. Living with such a strong personality is challenging, and dealing with other people with strong personalities is still difficult, but at least I know how to tolerate them.

Growing up, I think he did a good job of fostering my intellectual, philosophical side. I've always liked to ask difficult questions, and he loves to discuss and help me find answers...but I still have to do much of the thinking myself. He also loves a good debate and expects you to hold your own! As difficult as it is, he forces me to keep my cool when debating. He also will take a side that he may not even believe in just so you are forced to be a critical thinker and refute it. And he may or may not give away any answers either. ;)

My mom is an ISFJ. Whereas my dad has been more of an acquired taste, my mom and I have always gotten along well. According to personalitypage.com, the ISFJ personality makes for the ideal parent, and I think it's right in my case. I only wish my mom were more assertive at standing up to my dad in an argument and sticking to her guns. There were times I believe she was right. And she would stand up for herself, but only after being unable to contain her emotions. She then ended up deferring to my dad, giving up, admitting he was right (even if he wasn't), and being completely broken and depressed. Seeing her like that breaks my heart. I also wish she had a more positive self-image, which has never been an issue for my dad, who has a tendency to be over-confident I think. I wish she could see the super intelligent, wonderful, caring, gentle, supportive, giving, helpful, loving, beautiful person that everyone else sees.

My mom has always been there to provide me with emotional support, encouragement, and affection. I can always talk to her about anything. She understands and always has something wise to say. In that sense, she is my best friend. She is also an amazing mother, even though she probably wouldn't agree and would think that she could be doing better: providing more support, more encouragement. She was always good at providing structure for me growing up, and I'm still trying to follow her example at taking care of routine tasks. She never looked at them as chores; she seemed content to provide for the family's daily, basic needs like meals, cleaning, and laundry. I know it may not sound like the most important thing ever, but when you're an easygoing, dreamy INFP, acquiring some structure is probably a good thing! :p At least I have a good example to follow if I ever get around to it myself now that I've been in college for a couple years, and it's 4am as I write this. Oh, and I'm epically behind in my homework. lol :)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
All I have left now is my mother, a wonderful person. I make her an ESFJ type personality and that can sometimes lead to clashes. I sometimes intuitively know things but she would always need irrefutable evidence before her point of view is likely to change.

I am not sure about the type of my father, who passed away in 2001. He was not an easy person to live with and often completely obsessed with his work.
So perhaps he was an ISTJ 'duty fulfiller'? What I do remember most is that whenever he needed to be there for us, he was there.

I think of all people in my family my uncle from mother's side (passed away 2003) had the personality type closest to me. He many have been INFP or more likely INTP. I used to have these long great discussions with him about all manner of things. My uncle was very much a second father to me. And if there is one person in my life I would wish to emulate it is him.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Mom-INFP
Dad-ISFP
Oldest Sister-ENFP
2nd Sister-INFP
3rd Sister-ENFP
4th Sister-ENFP
Me-INFP
Brother-INFJ
Sister-INFP
Brother-INFP
Brother-ENFP
Sister-ENFP

Yeah, I had 12 ppl. in family. Theyve all taken the test. Basically, just a lot of INFP/ENFPS. It was a lot of fun, boisterous, interesting, lively, adventurous, artistic, emotional, empathetic, understanding, crazy household. I was smack in the middle of that chaos. I guess it explains why Im avoiding having kids....but it was a lot of fun despite. I mean who has a younger brother who wants to read huckleberry fin in a canoe on as summer day? Who has sisters who dont mind getting muddy and can keep up with the boys? Who has a family you can have a philosophical conversation with? Yeah despite there being too many and the chaos of being poor it was an amazing experience and soooo much fun.

They are still the few people who will go hiking, tubing down rivers, and just basically out of the box things. But basically wow, fun, spontaneous environment!

Oh, and my parents where about as empathetic as any parents. All they did was try to think of ways to help people. I mean my mom and us always had discussions on helping people and looking for people to help and being understanding of people. Like all the time for a few hours a week.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Mom: ENTJ
Dad: INTJ
Sister: ESFP

We have our ups and downs, but we get along pretty well. We're loving and supportive but highly individualistic. We all do our own thing. When we were home for the summer, my sister and I were surprised that my mom wanted to have family dinners. My mom pretty much holds our family together. One year, my dad's students gave my dad, my sister, and me elf hats and gave my mom the Santa hat. My dad is my hero because he always went after his dreams. He also kept me from feeling like a freak a lot of the time because he doesn't feel the need to be incredibly social and encouraged my daydreaming and thinking about the world. I'm closer to my sister than to anyone. We're different in some ways and the same in others. We fight, but we've been through most of our lives together.

·
Registered
431 Posts
dad- ISTP
mom- ESFJ
brother- ESTP
sister- INFP, or INFJ
grandma- ISFJ

they're all just educated guesses though none of them have took the test that I know of so I could be wrong, I've lived with them for 17 years though so I'm pretty confident about it. I get along with all of them pretty good, my sister seems to be a much more stronger introvert than me which sometimes annoys me with how much alone time she needs but I do understand it a lot better than my mom does who just constantly wants to talk talk talk about every little thing and try and make every day "the" day. My dad kinda will just listen to my mom go on and on while he's always just in his little world never really talks about what he's thinking but is real quick to criticize or crack a joke. I wish me and my dad meshed better together but conversations with him usually lead to a lot of what? why? so? My grandma is really shy, and orderly, and gets a kick outta helping us out with whatever. She'll kinda just sit back quietly and clean up our mess and be content to do it again next time. My brother is usually the loudest, funniest one when he's in a good mood, otherwise he's the one I'll get into it most with.

Overall I love my family, and we get along pretty good all of us together is like a balancing act for each other so we avoid a lot of fights and arguments that way.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Brother xNTJ - I hate the little shit. He's a know it all, too judgemental function correctly. A selfish, lazy, narrow minded shit.
Dad ISTJ - Does not understand me whatsoever, I don't really get along with him but I think I care for him deep down. He just thinks I'm a bit of a spacer
Mam ESFJ - I love her! So much! I'm very attatched to her. I feel bad for her having to deal with me all the time, she really doesn't get me and I do confuse her all the time. She really is just about the polar opposite of me, but I love her all the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ugh, I'm bad at typing. Let me take a stab at it.

Twin brother: ExTx (ENTJ?). Pretty much my only and best friend. He talks my ear off whenever I'm alone with him, mostly just to hear his own ideas which he's been formulating. Always analyzes things in T, but still keeps some F in mind. Like, in film, he watches everything under a microscope - an emotional scene for him is a "scene that has accurately used the medium to produce an emotional reaction in the audience, it's an awesome thing isn't it?". Whereas for me, sure I'll be analyzing it on that level as well, but I'm primarily convinced whether it was a sad scene or not just by how much I was choking up at it. Can be very insensitive, needlessly critical, and bossy. Very quick to generalize on lots of things based on very limited information, which can be extremely irritating when he does it about me (and then tries to tell me that that's how I am). I generally turn into an INTJ around him for conversation purposes, because he loves criticizing everything - when I start showing just how F I am, I just lose him completely. Is actually a bit artistically minded in that he's into scripts and movies, and dabbles in music, but is interested in it in far different ways than I am. We get along well, despite all the flaws.

Older sister: ESFP or something or other, I don't care. Don't interact with her very often, don't really want to. Always causes fights with everyone else in the family because she's selfish, lazy, and has a very bad temper, which makes me seize up in anxiety whenever she starts a yelling match with my dad or brother at the dinner table. Virtually no T and believes in very stupid things, but thinks she's very stylish and hip (she actually has horrendous taste). Extremely unorganized, irresponsible, and messy, NEVER cleans or does any chores, and loses and breaks everything.

Dad: IxTx (ISTP/J). Very secretive, and prefers to be alone, but unimaginably confident around others, fearless of infringing any rules and also usually, anybody's feelings, but protective of his family. Can get into very spirited T-related debates. Amazing with technology and money, and can fix ANYTHING. Like my brother, can be bossy and insenstive. I don't really personally interact with him much, just because we're so standoffish and don't really have anything in common. Crude sense of humour which he loves flaunting around to mom.

Mom: ESFJ. Very caring, loving, outgoing, childlike energy. Very maternal. Sensitive to any form of crudeness in a very stereotypical motherly way. Like my brother, talks my ear off whenever I'm alone with her. One who understands me the most in that she at least recognizes I'm IxFx, and compliments me on it.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Mum: INTP - Fantastic relationship
Sister: INTP - Also a fantastic relationship
Dad: ISFJ - We clash like cymbals

I'm a man of few words. :tongue:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Father: ISTJ
Mother: ESFJ

The death of me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My father is an ESTP and my mother is an ISFJ.

I'm highly introverted while my father is extremely extroverted, so being around him too much is exhausting for me. I'm not even going to start writing about my mother, we could never understand each other.

I've had a difficult relationship with both of them for most of my life, especially with my mother in my younger years. Nowadays I get along a bit better with both of them, meaning I avoid conflict with them and once in a while I may have a short chat with them but that's about it.

We don't really have anything in common, we live in different worlds basically.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts