Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear INFPs (or other interested types),

Do you mind about fashion, and/or a "unique" style sense?

Whether you do or don't what's your supposed Enneagram number?

Gender, if you so please?

What would you think are the types "most likely" to care about their self-presentation, whether traditionally or in novel, creative ways (or perhaps, for each kind of self-image conscious individual)?

A sense of style cannot be restricted to types; people are very different, and if you follow the Enneagram and/or other theories out there, things get more complex. However, I have been curious about this for a while, even knowing that types are *not* supposed to be one way or the other. However, not taking the Enneagram into account, it seems to me that fashion doesn't seem THAT much a NF thing, but seemingly more a SP thing. NFs tend to be individualists, so they may like whatever fancies them, and perhaps is"unique" in their eyes, rather than following the crowd fashion-wise. SJs would in theory be more conservative, and perhaps even wary to look too much out of place (not being typist here-this is all "theory-talk", and far from scientific.) I don't see NTs as caring that much either way, although they will look good enough in ways that will be practical for their own purposes. Would SFs then often be considered as the most likely to pursue fashionable interests? Theoretically speaking, of course?

Nothing personal; the above are not facts, but thoughts in the back of my head-the reason I ask is that I find many INFPs all but disinterested in caring too much about these issues, and that's perfectly fine. I am wondering if my love for "uniqueness" is more a product of the Enneagram 4 rather than type. I find myself not too "typical" (nor that I actually care, as INFPs are as diver as they come, and thus there is no "typical" INFP). But I sometimes also wonder if I may look to others anything BUT INFP (not that most people care about such things; not everybody is aware of the types to begin with, of course :p)-that my image, which is truthful to self, may actually convey to others that I am anything less than INFP.

Why should I care? Just out of type curiosity, I guess. This isn't meant to be thread with a truly practical purpose, but more a friendly discussion.

Note: thread title should read: "plus that of" not "those"; my apologies, as I seem to ignore how to edit a thread's title.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I usually wear flannel or plaid-patterns of various colors that I like. Mostly green, blue, red and purple - but I have a few really bright and wacky colored shirts that I really like to wear. And I usually just pick out clothes that strike my fancy, whether it's "in style" or not (honestly, I don't pay attention to what's "in style" so I wouldn't even know if my clothes ARE "in style" or not, haha.) I dress for myself and that's that!

I'm male, and I'm a type-4.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I usually wear flannel or plaid-patterns of various colors that I like. Mostly green, blue, red and purple - but I have a few really bright and wacky colored shirts that I really like to wear. And I usually just pick out clothes that strike my fancy, whether it's "in style" or not (honestly, I don't pay attention to what's "in style" so I wouldn't even know if my clothes ARE "in style" or not, haha.) I dress for myself and that's that!

I'm male, and I'm a type-4.
I am not aware of most trends either. :) I am sure I must be "out". I like "unfashionable" fashion myself, if that makes sense.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hmmm... I am not much into fashion; and although I do want my clothes to give a particular image of me, I don't necessarily expect it to stand out too much or be very specific. I'm generally okay enough wearing denim shorts/pants and a somewhat interesting T-shirt on normal days. And for occasions I like to use some black jeans and either a darker colored shirt or a plaid shirt.

What I do seem to focus about my image is my body and hair. For instance, I have no interest in becoming very muscular, prefer to be thin, and I don't like having really short haircuts. Too much muscle or not enough hair feels very "not me". Though my physical body tends to betray me on these aspects.

Unfortunately, I'm still not certain about my Enneagram number. My tritype supposedly is 4w5-7w6-9w1, but I am not sure if this is the correct order (and it seems atypical of fours to not give attention to their dressing style). And my gender is male.

Edit: It looks like my response came out in a different font. No idea how that happened. O_0

Edit 2: I forgot to mention, there is this silver necklace with a pendant in the form of a crescent moon and star I once had. That necklace was an exceptional case of valuing my self-presentation, since I have a particular liking to the moon and night sky. Unfortunately, I lost it rather quickly.

·
Registered
799 Posts
INFP, type 4, male, human (sometimes)

If nobody told me what to wear, I'd probably look like a hippie or a total village idiot. I used to wear stuff that only old people wear. People did notice; and not in a positive way. Nowadays I guess I am wearing what other people of my age are wearing. Neat and classic clothes. I do enjoy being in these clothes, but I'm a lousy shopper. I tend to buy the nice stuff, but do it rarely. €50 for a shirt is maximum. Yearly clothes budget is closing zero. I hate shopping. Too much buzz and people zooming around; makes me anxious.

I short: being moderately fashionable is great - makes you blend in more and look neater. I don't like to stand out that much.

·
Banned
656 Posts
INFP, type 6, male

I usually try to stay as trendy as possible, which probably isn't a good thing. I'm not afraid to be a trendsetter and usually TRY sticking out...in my own subtle way. I suppose I just want people to like me or be impressed, as stupid as that seems. I think, though, I've realized that it doesn't really matter and subsequently have come to care less and less over the past few years.

I guess I'm growing up!

·
Registered
809 Posts
At the moment my standard clothes are very uninspiring and pretty plain: jeans and a t-shirt (usually just a plain colored one). But I have a feeling if I were able, my fashion sense would be somewhat like the Doctor's: put together an outfit that looks good to me, and just go with that. Never mind how weird it looks to other people.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a strange combo-no subtlety at all, yet I still don't care about what's being perceived by others, as long as I like/love what I am wearing. I am very introverted, yet like to stick out via my image. I don't mind being in the background, like many INFPs, but the way I present myself is ironic in that it all but breaks the traditional image of somebody who doesn't mind-and actually prefers-being in the background.

I don't think that sticking out is somehow inherently wrong, though. Especially for an introvert, I find it an extremely effective way to communicate and express myself, without uttering a word. IME, the rather "new" me (who was the real me after all, although in hiding for many years) has opened more doors than it has closed for me-I just follow my own code as to what looks good on me or not, often breaking the "rules" but not for its own sake, but my own.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But I have a feeling if I were able, my fashion sense would be somewhat like the Doctor's: put together an outfit that looks good to me, and just go with that. Never mind how weird it looks to other people.
Which would be awesome, as you shouldn't mind about how quirky it may look to others!

I admit that my love of self often puts me at odds with traditional jobs. Sadly, to me, mens corporate image, even at its most "stylish", is rather stale and uninspiring (no offense intended). Expected haircuts for men are SO bland. :( I think I am barren from many jobs just because I don't like compromising who I am for a paycheck (I do not look untidy, but certainly not "professional" enough in the way they expect a so-called professional to look -which often is utterly boring to me, I am afraid.)

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like to look good, but I hate to stand out, so I suppose my fashion sense is nice looking clothes that are quite normal.
I have loads of T-shirts, a few pairs of jeans and usually only have 1 pair of shoes and a jumper at a time.

6w5 I think, male

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Male INFP, enneagram 4.

I do keep hardcore punk-like style nowdays. I'm very into beatnik style and 50's in general. I like to stand out, but having delicate balance of rebellious, yet classy look. I do think that I have a good eye for clothes, and have been occasionally mistaken as gay because of it. Stereotypes, they are a real drag sometimes. I'm a picky shopper, I buy clothes when I find something that is a must-have and has reasonable price tag.

I'm actually naked most of the time when I'm at home. Sometimes I do wonder what my neighbour think about me when I absent-mindedly keep my curtains open..

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I dress very plainly... often in black/dark...

A lot of my stuff is pretty functional/comfortable, I have a lot of columbia / new balance stuff for instance. From fleeces, to button up shirts, to hiking boots, to running shoes, to hoodies. It probably takes up half my wardrobe. Fleece, hoodies, shoes. I also like that they are made in america, and somewhat ethical products.
If I want throw away 10 dollar shirts, I might buy something goofy from target, might have some cartoon character on it from my child hood. That is about far as I go as expressing myself. The other stuff is often hand me downs or from good will.

I guess you could say I'm concerned with WHERE my products come from, over what they actually look like. I ask myself, is this ethical? Do I want to contribute to purchasing from this company? Etc...

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing something like Ed Hardy.

I do have longer hair though, if that counts for anything?

My expression is usually hidden, I generally don't want most people to know about me or judge me based on what I'm wearing.

I guess I fit that operating in the outside world in Chameleon mode.

4w5 male

·
Registered
715 Posts
Type four with the third wing.

Since I work in clothing retail, I pretty much wear some fashionable related garments for my workplace-- ones I can find within my taste or liking. It's not difficult for me to keep track of certain trends, because of all the catalogs, inventories and merchandise I had to roam through. I would receive a sense of "voila" feeling when I am able to combine an outfit of my personal style with an in-style item. Seems like for me, it's nice to be able to express bits of myself when at work and not just simply look well-put together.

I also try to make sure I buy items that actually lasts for at least a little over a decade, or can remain timeless. If it's not something I would wear often, I would not get it.

When out in the public on my own free time, I can be seen in full-out vintage clothes stained with cigarette scents from the 50s and 60s.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i actually care a lot about the clothes i wear but not because i want to impress anyone but i want to impress myself. however, my number one rule is that it has to be cheap and not over 30 bucks. and i would only buy 30 dollar jeans. as for shirts, they can't exceed more than 10 dollars and dresses, 20. being frugal has always been emphasized in my "J" family and now it's a personal value i've really coveted.

i'm still in a very experimental phase of what my truel personal style is. i really love tights and skinnys and just the whole fitted look but i also love a play on proportions and kind of baggy hoodies. to be honest, i'm pretty schizophrenic when it comes to what i like and i think that comes with being curvy and wanting to play that up but then wishing i had an athletic slim body so i could dress more like audrey hepburn / south korean street style. i want to have a degree of casualness and comfort but i also want to have a street/urban edge with a feminine vibrancy -- all within being frugual!

i guess that's my ideal style but honestly, most of the time i just wear t-shirt and jeans even though i have a whole closet full of really pretty stuff!

as for the south korean street style, i was referring to the girl in this picture:

and oh, oh, i LOVE LOVE impeccable winter fashion. the whole idea of coats, jackets, scarves, boots, etc is the most appealing to me.

·
Registered
17,194 Posts
I still wear a lot of hand me downs, I don't go shopping for clothes often. Very rare thing for me.
I assume if I were to go on some massive spree the look i'd probably enjoy most would be sort of like Dave Chappelle in what its worth.
Sort of suit jacket with comfy shirt and some nice pants and shoes.
I also like having loose soft shirts with thin long shorts. I don't know hahahaha what ever is comfortable really, I got no sense of style.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wear whatever I feel like, although sometimes it just seems inappropriate for certain occasions. For instance, I went to a girl's birthday party in a flannel shirt, cargo pants, and explorer boots. Afterwards the birthday girl suggested that she wanted to go clubbing and so we drove to a popular club in the city. While walking up to the club my friend's girlfriend said "He dressed up for a rodeo, not a club." I found it funny and chuckled but man did I want to correct her. I was totally going for a manly adventurer look. I swear she has no imagination...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm lazy, but like to look nice, so my clothes usually have some sort of formula to it -- a sweater and jeans, or a dress and a cardigan. Then I just make sure that everything looks like an individual so that the pattern isn't all that noticeable. Lately I've been liking scarfs and earrings!

as for the south korean street style, i was referring to the girl in this picture:

and oh, oh, i LOVE LOVE impeccable winter fashion. the whole idea of coats, jackets, scarves, boots, etc is the most appealing to me.
lkghlfdj Secret Garden!

·
Registered
75 Posts
lkghlfdj Secret Garden!
ahh, i'm so happy someone got the reference!! <3333

to stay on topic, i really really really loved gil ra im's style and it's definitely an inspiration to what i want to wear. i just loved how both practical it was (the tights, close fitted bottoms she would wear) and the jackets/hoodies. i think to when i think of her style, i think of my favorite thing ever -- just walking down the streets of a city, hands in pockets, introspecting.

Reactions: IcarusDreams
1 - 20 of 59 Posts