Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your free favorites?
I'm personally not a fan of bland descriptions and just looking at the core fears and desires is important, but can feel a bit lacking or too difficult to nail down in people and ourselves.

So I love:
1) Enneagram Panels! On Youtube there are panels with Beatrice Chestnut and every type. Hours and hours of content. To get a real feel of the types + highly on point information, that's the way to go.
2) Podcasts! Again, my favorite is with Beatrice Chestnut. It's on Soundcloud for example. About 3 hours covering All the types + subtypes. They also add common mistypes and ways to grow!

Now, tell me yours! :)

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
This is also a very good site.

For basic type descriptions, Instincts and misconceptions surrounding type 3, 6, 4 and 9.
These guys think that over 70% of the population is type 9, with most of the rest being 6 followed by 3. Take what they say with a grain of salt. I'll take Naranjo's type descriptions that are posted on this forum over that website any time.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Enneagram Panels! On Youtube there are panels with Beatrice Chestnut and every type.
I like to hear people describe how they experience their type in their own words.

I wasn't too impressed with the Beatrice Chestnut panels. The ConsciousTV panels were pretty good. There are also a number of YouTube videos of people being interviewed about type or simply describing their type to the camera.

This website has organized most of those YouTube videos by type for easy access. Just click on the symbol for the type you want to watch.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These guys think that over 70% of the population is type 9, with most of the rest being 6 followed by 3. Take what they say with a grain of salt. I'll take Naranjo's type descriptions that are posted on this forum over that website any time.
I also think these types are by far the most common. But yea, I wouldn't agree with 70% of the population being type 9.

·
Registered
216 Posts
This is also a very good site.

For basic type descriptions, Instincts and misconceptions surrounding type 3, 6, 4 and 9.
I recently scoped out enneagrammer.com and think they offer some fresh takes, the main strength being type disambiguation.

I didn’t see the bit typing E9 at 70%, but I appreciate a bunch of the E4 stuff (one of the authors types at E4):

The large majority of people, even people who do inner work, will spend their lives at average health levels. All the types are unhealthy. 9’s for example can be incredibly empathetic, peacemaking, and warm people. But this occurs because they’re asleep to their own gut centre and have dispersed ego boundaries. What’s healthy about that? 6’s can be freedom-fighters, friendly, and morally en pointe. But this occurs because they lack the self-confidence to trust their own thinking, over-question everything, and have a fear of being abandoned. What’s healthy about that? 7’s can be the most entertaining and special people who teach us how to be ourselves. But this occurs because they use distraction and entertainment to avoid their own depths and fears. What’s healthy about that? So yes, 4’s can be elitist, catty, unempathetic, self-absorbed, and negative. And the root causes of these behaviours are just as unhealthy as the other types. But why should 4’s be positive?

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently scoped out enneagrammer.com and think they offer some fresh takes, the main strength being type disambiguation.

I didn’t see the bit typing E9 at 70%, but I appreciate a bunch of the E4 stuff (one of the authors types at E4):
Yes, I especially love them for their 4 stuff!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Yes, I especially love them for their 4 stuff!
Personally, I'm not so enthusiastic.

I quote from here:

"4's like to think they are self-revealing and authentic, but TRUE authenticity is terrifying for a 4. The truth of what really hurts us, the things that have really damaged us, truly putting ourselves on the line, that is completely terrifying just as much as it is for any type. The kind of bravery I've seen from people in this group is not the same as the crafted image of brokenness that the 4 point lives at in the heart centre. You will find me complaining, being bitchy, being negative, making myself separate, pulling away, but you will never see me talk about the things that truly cut me deeply in this group, because that's too scary and it also threatens my self-image of being somehow separate. If anything, I withhold my weakest spots more than others."

This author, Joseph Simone, is not a type 4. It being"scary and threatening" to be self-revealing is antithetical to type 4. "Withholding weak spots" is antithetical to being a Reactive type (yes, this includes type 8 - just look at Trump).

"It's a lot more likely for a big bold type like 7 or 8 to come into a space and be able to speak candidly about trauma, or anything truly personal really."

This person does not understand type 7.

" I can boldly throw my own self-image at others, but to actually discuss trauma, I won't."

This goes against every legitimate type 4 description. This is the type known to be forever in therapy because they LOVE sharing their trauma and going over and over it again, whilst not being in a hurry to resolve it.

"4's will often have certain "problems" that they are comfortable using as their broken self-image, but these are often not TRULY traumatic issues, but rather ways to feed the type 4 ego (see, I'm broken, see I created a problem, but it's not something that truly matters)."

This is classic type 3 behavior: Deceit. Claiming something about themselves is important whilst it isn't, deflecting from the things that truly matter. I have discussed the type 3 bias of this specific author before. His "So/Sx Description" is loaded with type 3 traits (such as "the need to be "cool"" - remember, this author types at type 4).

They claim that "Naranjo was wrong" but give no substantial reason as to why their material is superior. None of these people have ANY experience being a legit therapist, but COMMERCIAL they are aplenty... ;)

This isn't to say that everything they have to say is bad - I know I'm sounding extremely negative in my review here. They give some good pointers on "Misconceptions on type 4" - most of these misconceptions come from the Riso-Hudson (Enneagram Institute) teachings, something Enneagrammer also recognizes. But their writings are coming from the place of shallow knowledge, zero research, and they use instinct stacking AND tritype in combination with each other (which leaves a lot of room for error for these novices) to explain away how their core type doesn't fit right.

If you want to take a look at their typings for yourself, they have a list. You can check out their consistency (or lack thereof) in their typings of celebrities. Personally, I find this list highly suspect, as I don't believe Jodie Foster, Harrison Ford, Jason Statham, and Michelle Pfeiffer can all be "Sp/So 6w5." Very odd typings. Something's amiss here, and I'll be sure stick to Naranjo and co for now.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I'm not so enthusiastic.

I quote from here:

"4's like to think they are self-revealing and authentic, but TRUE authenticity is terrifying for a 4. The truth of what really hurts us, the things that have really damaged us, truly putting ourselves on the line, that is completely terrifying just as much as it is for any type. The kind of bravery I've seen from people in this group is not the same as the crafted image of brokenness that the 4 point lives at in the heart centre. You will find me complaining, being bitchy, being negative, making myself separate, pulling away, but you will never see me talk about the things that truly cut me deeply in this group, because that's too scary and it also threatens my self-image of being somehow separate. If anything, I withhold my weakest spots more than others."

This author, Joseph Simone, is not a type 4. It being"scary and threatening" to be self-revealing is antithetical to type 4. "Withholding weak spots" is antithetical to being a Reactive type (yes, this includes type 8 - just look at Trump).

"It's a lot more likely for a big bold type like 7 or 8 to come into a space and be able to speak candidly about trauma, or anything truly personal really."

This person does not understand type 7.

" I can boldly throw my own self-image at others, but to actually discuss trauma, I won't."

This goes against every legitimate type 4 description. This is the type known to be forever in therapy because they LOVE sharing their trauma and going over and over it again, whilst not being in a hurry to resolve it.

"4's will often have certain "problems" that they are comfortable using as their broken self-image, but these are often not TRULY traumatic issues, but rather ways to feed the type 4 ego (see, I'm broken, see I created a problem, but it's not something that truly matters)."

This is classic type 3 behavior: Deceit. Claiming something about themselves is important whilst it isn't, deflecting from the things that truly matter. I have discussed the type 3 bias of this specific author before. His "So/Sx Description" is loaded with type 3 traits (such as "the need to be "cool"" - remember, this author types at type 4).

They claim that "Naranjo was wrong" but give no substantial reason as to why their material is superior. None of these people have ANY experience being a legit therapist, but COMMERCIAL they are aplenty... ;)

This isn't to say that everything they have to say is bad - I know I'm sounding extremely negative in my review here. They give some good pointers on "Misconceptions on type 4" - most of these misconceptions come from the Riso-Hudson (Enneagram Institute) teachings, something Enneagrammer also recognizes. But their writings are coming from the place of shallow knowledge, zero research, and they use instinct stacking AND tritype in combination with each other (which leaves a lot of room for error for these novices) to explain away how their core type doesn't fit right.

If you want to take a look at their typings for yourself, they have a list. You can check out their consistency (or lack thereof) in their typings of celebrities. Personally, I find this list highly suspect, as I don't believe Jodie Foster, Harrison Ford, Jason Statham, and Michelle Pfeiffer can all be "Sp/So 6w5." Very odd typings. Something's amiss here, and I'll be sure stick to Naranjo and co for now.
I can definitely see what you mean.
The people from that site are very knowledgable, smart and deep thinkers, but they are also a bit stubborn, elitist and very isolated. They don't go on podcasts or anything like that. So while i think most of their stuff is very accurate, some of it is just wrong at a very odd level. They want to get more out there, but don't really. I think it would be very helpful for them. Anyway, they are still my favorite, because I prefer some oddly wrong stuff or oddly worded stuff + mostly very accurate to the core info over more wishy-washy descriptions. But that's a personal preference.

But I also see this issue with 4. It's like 4 is super raw, deep and pouring out their soul... but at the same time not. It seems scripted, almost fake, not like the real issue to me. A 4 can talk about the most horrible trauma, but I still feel and think like that's not the real issue here. I think 4s run from therapist to therapist and talk about their horrible trauma in order to escape from the real issue - attachment to image. They are deeply affected by all their trauma and bad emotions, yes, for sure. But they also hold on to it at a even deeper level, because it makes them special, different and the suffering person. For example EMDR therapy. It can to a certain degree erase the effect trauma has on you in a matter of a few sessions at a deep level. I also experienced that. That's difficult for all types, but in my experience 4s HATE it. Because suddenly their base for their identity, their image, is gone. I've seen 4s go crazy after this, trying so desperately to get their identity back. Hating the therapy, hating the therapist, warning others about it, say they want their trauma back, do crazy stuff. It's heart beeaking. I also relate to that because I have a strong 4 fix, but it was easier for me to overcome.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so which types do u think will like be all open talking about their past trauma?
In my opinion mostly 4>8>6. 4s will use it as identity, 8s for inner and outer power, strength and control (trauma can be a VERY strong drive) and whenever a 6 actually starts to trust you, they are just very genuine, open, guard-down people and also want to strengthen that bond. Other types need some more time to get there, like 1, 2, 5 and 9 and I think for 3s and 7s it will always be difficult.
I really wonder why the author suggests that 7s would openly talk about their trauma though?
The only thing I could see is that 7s use it to be positive, to cheer up. Like "Hey! I always got beaten up in school and my father was an alcoholic, but see how happy I am? :) It's ok!! The past is the past, let's go out! :)". Almost trying to convince themself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts