Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul Tillich books beginning with Shaking of the Foundations through his Systematic Theology

Eric Fromm's Books beginning with Man Against Himself.

James Kugel: How to Read the Bible and others works.

Thomas Szasz: The Myth of Mental Illness; The Meaning of Mind: Language, Morality, and Neuroscience; many others.

The Bhagavad Gita by Eknath Easwaran

Aldous Huxley's Perennial Philosophy which introduces readers to many other wisdom writers.

The Dhammapada: various translations.

Nothing Special: Living Zen by Charlotte Joko Beck

Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana

A Path with Heart by Jack Kornfield

Breath by Breath by Larry Rosenberg

How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers
How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: A Mindful Guide by Toni Bernhard

Everything Arises, Everything Falls Away by Ajahn Chah
Food for the Heart: The Collected Teachings of Ajahn Chah
Being Dharma: The Essence of the Buddha's Teachings by Ajahn Chah

The Self as Agent by John MacMurray
Reason and Emotions by John MacMurray

@brightflashes

I watched The Unbearable Lightness of Being when I was 22 or 23 in the theatre after it came out; then again and again... Excellent film. I never read the book, which was unusual back then--I usually read the book and skipped the film.

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
Huge fan of Alan Watts. Got me into Taoism and eastern philosophy, which has some absolutely amazing ideas about nature and society that everyone who has any interest in philosophy should check out. Specifically, the work of Laozi, the Tao Te Ching, is a very good read and one I would put at the top of my list for anyone interested in eastern philosophy.

On the western side of it, a lot of modern occult philosophy from the likes of authors like Alan Moore (author of one of the highest praised graphic novels of all time, Watchmen) was very fascinating to me.

Also very interested in existentialism from authors like Jean-Paul Sarte and Arthur Schopenhauer. Schopenhauer is probably my favorite philosopher overall, and I identify with his life work the most.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts