Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who was your favorite teacher? What traits did you admire in their personality and how was their teaching style effective for you?

(I posted something like this a while ago in the ENFP forum, but I'm curious how INTJs would respond.)

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I had one teacher surprisingly for three different years at three different levels: 6th, 8th, and 11th grades. She was an excellent English teacher who honed my writing and public speaking skills. Unfortunately, she passed away suddenly before I could "report back" from my first year at college.

Her motto: "boredom is an insult to your intelligence." I like that. Really challenged her students to think.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had a lot of favorite teachers. I'll stick to recent ones and say my philosophy of religion teacher. To be honest I don't know why he taught a class on religion cus it was apparent from day one he was agnostic or atheist.

I enjoyed him because he was tough but fair in his approach to teaching. We always had discussions in class and he encouraged opposing viewpoints and to have people talk about them. He was fairly informal but had a curriculum to follow which sucked.

I don't think any teacher uses an effective style of teaching for me, ever. It always comes down to memorization and tests and I hate both. I like thinking through my problems and using a trial and error approach. Plus every teacher goes pretty slow and we spend a week learning something I understood after day one of learning it. Gets really boring. It's sad that I can get a B in a class I don't enjoy without opening the book the entire semester. College gen Ed's are a joke.

The school system is extremely flawed but no one wants to suck up their pride and ego to change it. Teachers union ruins a lot of shit.

Reactions: thetruehell

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
My favorite teacher would have to be my 11th grade history teacher and my 12th grade psychology teacher (same person, I was lucky enough to have her twice). She was really chill and didn't yell besides this one time when the class was acting extremely immature. Just something about her personality made me feel excited to come to class every day, but that could also be because those are my two favorite subjects.

My second favorite teacher was my 12th grade math teacher, everyone thought she was a bitch, but she wasn't. She was extremely helpful to everyone, and baked cookies for us. Also she understood why I love Harry Potter so much and when I finished my work early, which happened a lot, we would talk about it.

Awesome teachers are awesome.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
ENTP teachers are the best! They encourage you to learn on your own rather than just memorize stuff for a test. Plus they are hilarious.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My favourite teachers have all been INTJs. They have interesting minds and I enjoy pushing their buttons when they start getting awkward. I also delight in pulling them out of their shells.

Reactions: Einstein

·
Registered
14 Posts
My favourite teacher was in Philosophy. She was very old (roughly 60 or so), and she showed off an sensation of experience.
While my classmates thought she was annoying, her way or presenting the questions of life was nothing short of beautiful.

"What is this?" Teachers asks while holding a pen above her.
"It's a pen..." One of the students snarled, apparently thinking that it's a stupid question.
"Good!! But wrong... It's an storage device for my candy." She said seriously and continued. "Don't go about making assumptions just because it seems like a simple question."

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I took one philosophy class after I was required to take a semester off from the school I was attending (poor grades).
I told the professor my sob story after I had completed my final and he was just like "How the fuck did you flunk out of school?"
It wasn't said in a "You're too smart a guy for something like that to happen type tone," It was just genuine befuddlement as though it didn't compute. He helped give me the kick in the ass I needed to get going again.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
My favourite professors are probably my current ones. My classes are small and I'm quick to understand the material, so they think I am intelligent. Honestly, I think most teachers have overlooked me and my potential, so it's quite flattering to have someone acknowledge you in a positive way.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
1.ESTJ civics teacher in my Freshman year of high school. Probably the only individual class I've taken that has changed my life. It pretty much jump-started my intellectual devolopment and helped me see the world in a much clearer, systematic way. It also helped establish my interest in electoral politics, which is pretty much what I want to do with my life. (research, I want no part of the actual elections) He also might be the funniest person I've ever met.

2.INTP philosophy teacher in my senior year of High School. He was one of the few teachers in High School who appreciated my smart ass disruptive behavior that I couldn't get away with in college. He was generally great with moderating discussions. That class established my interest in philosophy, which I had previously dismissed as being 90% pseudo-intellectual posturing (which isn't a hard conclusion to come to when you're in High School surrounded by obnoxious nihilist kids and pretentious hipsters having pointless discussions about metaphysics) in my infinite wisdom as a 16 year old.

3.ENTP Sociology Proff. in my freshman year of college- I guess you can say that she's my "favorite" teacher because I was pretty much in love with her for a while. I felt very unlistened to coming out of High School, and she genuinely valued me and my thoughts. Her class probably changed the way I thought about things a little bit too. I should probably stop here so I don't get obsessed with her again. :sad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a high school teacher that taught a college level biology class. Now it gets community college credit, but she didn't want it to be AP, because she doesn't like having to rush through things. She had the best test questions ever; they REALLY required critical thinking. She would come up with these extensive allegorical stories that required synthesis of overarching concepts we'd learned in the class. One of her test questions involved the royal family of Spain being abducted by aliens, and we had to prove that we were distantly related to the royal family and would be next in line for the throne. She gave us a two 11x17 page family tree of the royal lineage, and we had to figure out that mitochondrial DNA was the key to the whole thing, trace the royal family all the way up and all the way back down the family tree to find the only living guy to get a blood sample from who would have the same mDNA as us.

She also had an absolutely awesome main lab project that we took about a month out of class to do. She gave us a printed-out Wikipedia article on rum, showed us the basic mechanics of a distiller, gave us a bunch of materials, and told us whoever made the most ethanol would win a prize. We had to make an incubator out of insulating materials and heat pads, figure out the optimal ratio of yeast to molasses by making respirometers (we ended up with 18 of them made of upside-down Gatorade bottles in a tub of water) to measure their CO2 output, burn off known concentrations of ethanol to get a standard curve based on weight that we could use to evaluate our results, and build and run our own stills, which were made of a collection of copper tubing, PVC piping, various plastic bottles, plumber's putty, and duct tape. And she didn't answer any of our questions. Most everybody was in the lab at least 6 hours/week after school to tie up loose ends and collect more data, and in the end we weren't able to come to any conclusions at all. It was one of the most educational experiences of my life.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I can’t remember any good teachers, because mostly they lack logic and T function, they were nice to me and I respected them but intellectually they were very poor, I learned most things by myself, the thing that bothered me most is the lack of motivation and ambition.

So my best teachers are books.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Most of my teachers in middle and high school had been utter shit because of their failure to teach even remotely properly. I remember teaching myself most everything and learning only a thing or two from school. This is partly because they teach horridly and also because I was in a very reclusive state. I do admire a few of them because of their strong feeler tendencies. This one particular teacher had strived to pull me from my hermit hole of hating everyone and everything so I would be less depressive as a young girl. It didn't work, but it did give me a slightly less jaded view of people because of it.

As for university, no one is worth mentioning. I have offensive luck when it comes to teachers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've had trouble with math for the longest time, but I had a teacher in middle school who demonstrated methods on solving problems that had me go from a D grade to honor roll alongside a tutor. The tutor was abrasive though, and everyone's pages had to look the same according to the size in how someone would write the problems down. That was aggravating.

The teacher that wasn't my after school tutor though recognized students that had problems and orchestrated ways to to solve equations efficiently without going off-schedule. It's a pity because in the ghetto school I was in, the little shits had him go into a complete meltdown because of the things they did [ talking back, cursing at him, causing fights with other students in class ] and a great teacher was lost because of this.

The tutor would be ESTJ. Outspoken and demanding of conformity, very strict. Reminiscent of a drill sergeant, she frightened students and was quite loud.

The other teacher I am honestly not so clear on. He appeared to have strong intuition and was not very chatty, the teachers often mingled with each other and I didn't see him speaking with others much. However I could tell he appreciated the fact that I respected him. I wouldn't doubt he was an introvert of some kind.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My favorite teacher of all was Mr. Gallagher. I first had him in European History and then I purposely took classes he taught. He focused on every detail of history, but focused on the aspects I enjoyed most (social culture in history and government). He valued when someone said something open-minded or progressive. He knew how to have fun but also was serious when we got down to business. He knew that I had potential and always wanted me to live up to it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I had respect for most of my English teachers but my favorite teacher would have to be my print shop teacher freshman year. Not because of what we learned, but because he managed to break me down mentally a few times. No one has really been able to do that to me since.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Chemistry teacher.

He was clever with comebacks, short and to the point, no nonsense, efficient, not a smiler...

I totally GOT him. And we weren't allowed to even use periodic tables in his class on exams and assignments - we had to KNOW the electron clouds and everything!

MMM. He was awesome. He challenged me, and his class was the only one I didn't have a novel tucked into my textbook in. Had him two years, AP chem and Chem II.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts