Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been made yet... or atleast I couldn't find it on the search. :p

So what's your favourite movie?
What's so goddamn awesome about it?

Personally, I think Fight Club is the best movie.
It has a great storyline.
It is smart.
It is hilarious.
It has great visuals.
It has a decent soundtrack.
Almost every line in it is a wise quote.
And it is all brought together nicely to make one amazing movie that leaves you thinking about it forever afterwards :p

How about you?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I just saw "The Music Never Stopped"... and I can't stop thinking about it so right now it's that...

But Fight Club and The Graduate are right up there lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just saw the incident at loch ness without having any clue what it was other than Werner Herzog was involved. That was a fun way to watch it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've thought about this a lot (read: too much). I have found it difficult to pick my favorite movies for a few reasons. One is that sometimes I pick what I think should be my favorite, instead of what actually is. Also, I feel a "favorite" should be one that you watch often and enjoy. That's why I usually separate this into two categories: favorite movies and great movies.

Favorite Movies: Movies I enjoy and watch often or would watch if they came on. They have lasting appeal; usually either comedy, romance or what could be called "feel-good" movies. For example:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
When Harry Met Sally
The Princess Bride
Dumb and Dumber
Forrest Gump
The Big Lebowski
Young Frankenstein
Groundhog Day

Great Movies: Great movies according to my taste; usually deeper, more meaningful and sometimes bittersweet if not melancholy. I got a lot out of watching these and identify with them, but I don't watch them because I'm not always in the mood. For example:

Fight Club
The Matrix
Casablanca
The Graduate
Rushmore
The Wrestler
Punch Drunk Love

·
Registered
569 Posts
Seriously, I can't choose. But these are a few of my favorites:)

Amelie, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, mysterious skin, what's eating gilbert grape, American Beauty, and almost famous. There's more but I can't remember all of them.
I can relate to a lot of these movies on a deep level I guess, because all of them deal with emotions and relationships for the most part. I have cried after watching every one of these movies. If I cry during a movie, it's definitely good XD

·
Registered
724 Posts
i like this "american beauty" theme that we have going! :)

my other favorites (because i can't choose just one, and it depends on where i am in life) are the virgin suicides, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind, a beautiful mind, garden state, the matrix, sin city, seven, and crash.

·
Registered
470 Posts
There are a lot of movies that I absolutely love, but none has done to me what Shawshank Redemption did to me the first time I saw it (and even the subsequent times I've seen it). Pure beauty.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
If I had to pick one, it would be Before Sunset. It's hard to pick one though...I like a lot of different movies for different reasons.
I also like Before Sunrise, Amelie, Grosse Pointe Blank, Muriel's Wedding, & lots of classic movies (Rear Window, Charade, Casablanca, etc).
Movies from recent years that I liked were 2 Days in Paris, Black Swan, Synechdote New York, & Inception.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The Remains of the Day is my favorite movie. But Fight Club is excellent as well. It's themes are particularly relevant today.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It depends . For a feel good movie I'd choose The Fifth Element

For my favorite drama films probably Immmortal Beloved, Braveheart, and Come and See

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Favorite movie that I've seen a million times since childhood: The Last Unicorn, in all it's questing mythical glory.

Favorite movie I saw once that shook me to the core: Youth Without Youth- supernatural absurd multilifetime time traveling soulmate soulquest. Yes.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
As Harold took a bite of Bavarian sugar cookie, he felt as everything was going to be okay. Sometimes when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And fortunately when there are no cookies, we can find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or a subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention hospital gurneys and nose-plugs and uneaten danish and soft-spoken secrets and Fender stratocasters and maybe the occasional piece of fiction. And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties which we assume only accessorize our days are in fact here for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange. But I also know it just so happens to be true. And so it was, a wristwatch saved Harold Crick.

- from Stranger Than Fiction

Such a great movie.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, and Life is Beautiful. Yes I know they're both very sad movies, but I believe there's positive life lessons to be learned from both of them. I still always seem to cry when I watch these two movies, they never get old for me. Oh yes, and my favorite movie from childhood is Anastasia :). The song, Once upon a December, still gives me chills.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I <3 Huckabees

the Existential Detectives are hilarious (I fancy myself to be one now from time to time)

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Peter Jackson version? I got bored half way through but carried on watching and I'm glad I did because it was so moving! I cried sooooo much at the end, I was actually sobbing!
I mean both the original and Peter Jackson's version.

Reactions: MissNobody

·
Registered
1 Posts
28 Days Later, Dead Leaves, Fight Club, Perfect Blue, Millennium Actress, Hedwig and the angry inch, or Children of Men.
I personally favor apocalyptic films, crazy animated films, anything with vibrant characters and interesting storylines. Fight Club has always been a personal favourite, even named my college house after "Marla". :) I love Chuck Palahniuks' writing so fight club of course is a top favorite I love the psychological turns in it and the rewatch value is forever. 28 Days later will always be in the top as it has amazing visuals, talented acting, lovely music and a phenomenal storyline that reminds me of a lot of my favorite apocalyptic books. Dead Leaves, and Mill. Actress and Perfect Blue are all great animated films with separate amazing stories and equally surrealistic themes and psychological turns. Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress are by Satoshi Kon who is a favourite of mine his film Paprika is also in my top and all his work is for anyone who loves artistic surreal and equally deep stuff that's still visually stimulating. While Dead leaves is more classically and eccentrically animated and is hilarious as it is a total mind warp and worth at least 2 views. Hedwig and the angry inch appeals to my musical side and is a fantastic telling of a character you can't help but love and relate to. I love musicals and musical flicks this is just one of my personal favorites. & then there's Children of Men another What if apocalyptic telling with great visuals and acting and another storyline that you feel connected to and interested in because it's a what if we never really think about and would be very scary and is told from a great pov and always gets me. :) I also love foreign dramas and comedies...it's so hard for me to pick favourites, I'm a huge film fan.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts