Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are your favourite utopian, science fiction, alternate technological development (steampunk etc.) and/or abandoned technology (Orion project, Tesla earthquake machine etc.) concepts?

Can be anything, be it technology, system, device, culture etc.

Some of my favourites:

The Dyson Sphere

Nothing says classy tier II civilization (i.e. a civilization capable of harnessing the energy of a star or an energy source the equivalent of a star) like a Dyson sphere.

(the image is a bit ambiguous because we really have no idea how to go about designing a Dyson sphere yet. Most other illustrations are woefully under scale and/or overly fanciful)

The Space Lift

Nothing says classy tier I Civilization like a Space Lift megastructure.

(simple terms: you go up and down the thing stretching out of the atmosphere)

Resource Based Economy

Nothing says classless like a utopian communistic system with robots and without a monetary syetem and/or debt.

Quantum entangled particle communications technology
Relatively instantaneous communications.

(simple terms: what you do to the entangled particles here also happens to the particles over there)

Nanites (nanobots or microbots)
An example of the wonderful application of nanites:

(From The Day the Earth Stood Still. Nanites disintegrating buildings)

Synthetic Muscle

(The synthetic muscle is seen at 0:33 in this video. And yes, I know you never asked for this)

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion battleships

(Funnily enough, this was the best looking illustration I could find of a NPP battleship. Ironic, if you know where the original design came from...

Obviously this illustration isn't exactly high on realism. I mean really, machine-gun turrets? (admittedly, the gauss cannons are an awesome addition))

So, what are your favourites?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Stargate... who wouldn't wanna travel to interstellar planets at the blink of an eye?

circular ring, feeds in power from a solar dish, dials to another planet via a six-symbol coordinate with a point of origin, establish a controlled wormhole, break down all matter going into it down to the molecular level, transmit raw stream to receiving end, reconstruct matter at the molecular level coming out of the event horizon.

The closest similarity are the Iconians from the Star Trek: TNG universe... a mirror-like device that people can walk through and rematerialize on the other end, but that doesn't make much sense... because on the other end, it will be like if entities would appear out of thin air when there's no object in the back allowing rematerialization... but then again, it could be the work of higher dimensional physics at play.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Personally, any terra-forming technology, space-ships, any device that can allow travel into parallel universes, cybernetics and nano-machines-nano machines especially as if we had them and they worked the way they did in fiction we'd solve all our problems (food and water scarcity, pollution, house building, diseases, etc.) in a week

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(Does this count? Because I really don't care.)

Uh... I guess that can be considered a utopian society. Apart from the whole shebang of having creatures regularly fight each to the near death for entertainment and monetary reward. But yeah, utopian, I guess, okay, no, not really, nope.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Transhumanism in general. Using technology to transcend the limitations of your body. I find the idea of increasing your intelligence through chips implanted in the brain, or connecting to the internet trough them especially intriguing. Of course many ethical issues arise from such technology, however that is a discussion for another day.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
Transhumanism in general. Using technology to transcend the limitations of your body. I find the idea of increasing your intelligence through chips implanted in the brain, or connecting to the internet trough them especially intriguing. Of course many ethical issues arise from such technology, however that is a discussion for another day.
Ethical issues?

No need to sweat that stuff, we will never transcend our limitations so therefore these issues would be meaningless.

My favorite science-concepts are not fictional in nature, as cutting edge technology is hitting a brick wall known as the quantum/consciousness enigma. This skeleton inside the closet is magnificent beyond our human imagination.

Dealing with this sort of problem will require us to abondon all previously accumulated systems of reductionist thought(which essentially equals all beta science) and head towards the anti-reductionism. Who would have known that ancient concepts such as our vision are a reality which are increasingly harder to deny.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
What are your favourite utopian, science fiction, alternate technological development (steampunk etc.) and/or abandoned technology (Orion project, Tesla earthquake machine etc.) concepts?

Can be anything, be it technology, system, device, culture etc.

Some of my favourites:

The Dyson Sphere

Nothing says classy tier II civilization (i.e. a civilization capable of harnessing the energy of a star or an energy source the equivalent of a star) like a Dyson sphere.

(the image is a bit ambiguous because we really have no idea how to go about designing a Dyson sphere yet. Most other illustrations are woefully under scale and/or overly fanciful)

The Space Lift

Nothing says classy tier I Civilization like a Space Lift megastructure.

(simple terms: you go up and down the thing stretching out of the atmosphere)

Resource Based Economy

Nothing says classless like a utopian communistic system with robots and without a monetary syetem and/or debt.

Quantum entangled particle communications technology
Relatively instantaneous communications.

(simple terms: what you do to the entangled particles here also happens to the particles over there)

Nanites (nanobots or microbots)
An example of the wonderful application of nanites:

(From The Day the Earth Stood Still. Nanites disintegrating buildings)

Synthetic Muscle

(The synthetic muscle is seen at 0:33 in this video. And yes, I know you never asked for this)

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion battleships

(Funnily enough, this was the best looking illustration I could find of a NPP battleship. Ironic, if you know where the original design came from...

Obviously this illustration isn't exactly high on realism. I mean really, machine-gun turrets? (admittedly, the gauss cannons are an awesome addition))

So, what are your favourites?
I will pay you 5 dollars a day if you keep these coming.

Nanites. That is promising. I think a self-regulating system of tiny robots that coalesce into objects out of thin air in order to build something or enhance something(see real-time android creation or crossing the limitations of Theseus's ship in creating an immortal being by slowly switching from human to android with no major lapse of consciousness, so that one retains memory of self and thus consciousness. Wow, this is a long parenthesized comment. Echo. ECHO. Can anybody hear me in here?)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Uh... I guess that can be considered a utopian society. Apart from the whole shebang of having creatures regularly fight each to the near death for entertainment and monetary reward. But yeah, utopian, I guess, okay, no, not really, nope.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I just want a Blaziken.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'm surprised you didn't mention Jupiter/Matrioshka Brains. Basically, supercomputing systems the size of planets.

Also, life-extension, A.I and alternate energy sources,intelligence/physical enhancement.

Reactions: Wolfrahm and that

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I've always liked the whole idea of Stargate, controlled worm-holes used to transport matter over hundreds, possibly thousands of light-years in mere minutes.

Also molecular construction, where one can basically build anything from scratch using the proper molecules. Obvious example is Star Trek's Food Synthesizer. 3D printing is essentially the same thing, but it just takes a really long time to construct things. Perhaps in the future it'll be advanced enough to use in this manner.

Nanotechnology for sure. I mean look at all the advancements we've already made with the limited knowledge we have of it, just imagine what we're going to accomplish in the next ten to twenty years.

Faster than light travel. Ion drives if you're a Star Wars fan, or Warp cores if you like Star Trek..., or any other name you give it, FTL travel is an old idea that has had people drooling for decades. I'm one of them, and I think it'd be just dandy to have a propulsion system that makes traveling between star-systems a matter of weeks/months instead of decades or centuries.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I personally thought the setting of Blade Runner was beautiful. That's the kind of sci-fi future I would love. So dark, mysterious, yet advanced! With the continued, vibrant peppering of human interaction.

Or any civilisation where we've made contact with multiple alien races and are all living in sprawling metropolises on one planet. Because I'm a pro-multicultural liberal hippy who would absolutely love the variety it would bring.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Steampunk outright disgusts me.

I am fascinated by robotics, nano-tech, mechanical limbs(a.k.a how you create cyborgs) and alternative energy. Not a big fan of nuclear, oil or coal based energy production.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Basically The Culture from Iain M Banks' sci-fi novels.
"...where no-one and nothing is exploited"

The whole thing is inspirational: the post scarcity; the AI; the transhumanism; the space travel; the pragmatic pacifism.

I'd move there in a shot if I got the chance.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
usually social...

people that abandoned or were abandoned by their families... creating their own family units ... promoting utopian ideas in the form of a co-op or gathering/scavengers tribal societies, though still otherwise outcasts in the hierarchy of the overall society... shaded by a post apocalyptic landscape, often a desert landscape though lacking a wyrm but still involving alternative modes of transportation...

which brings us to solarbabies. ;p

aside from sociocultural bs.. often more geared towards low tech (meh, shit is expensive... who needs a jet addction, anyway?)... so, personal and superficial technologies... with the occasional bit of genetic manipulation or transhuman technologies... it's rather sad what shadowrun became, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts